Thread: Super Mario Odyssey

Super Mario Odyssey

I’m pumped for Mario Odyssey. Looks like a masterpiece too.

Squared
    Going to split this into a separate thread. Hope that's OK.

Seriously though. I know there's plenty of Mario love around these parts. Heard good reports - like good enough to buy the console good.

I imagine plenty of people are excited for this?

I love Nintendo franchises, and although I haven't had a Nintendo system since the Gamecube, I've always been close to getting one for either a Mario, Legend of Zelda or Metroid game.

I spent about 10 minutes playing Super Mario Odyssey at a local shop over the weekend. I was hooked in that short period of time. Just based on the very little I spent exploring and looking around without focusing on actually advancing in the game, it just felt like so much fun. The game is colorful as is the standard for Mario games, and the controls were very smooth. Again, this is just based on a very limited amount of time, so I'm sure that actually progressing through the game would be an absolute joy. As I mentioned in another thread a few minutes ago, I'm glad that the Switch is super-difficult to find still to this day in Japan, or else I'm pretty sure I would have impulse-bought one on the spot just for this game.

I'm curious to hear if anyone picked up the game here and can expand on it a bit. I'd love to hear more about it.

Squared
    Yeah, me too actually. Really, really tempted to look into getting a switch on the back of this.

The last Mario games I played were for the Wii, for what it's worth. Mario Galaxy and that super mario bros. retro style one that they did, which in the intervening years I had completely forgotten how to play.

It looks tremendous - as does that recent Zelda game. I think the Switch is going to be one of the all-time underrated consoles, to be honest.

Really trying to not spend money I don't have, but man this looks sooooooo good.

I can confirm it is fantastic (although with 2 kids in the house I've not got anywhere near it hands-on for a decent amount of time like I'd like to). Also, I was never a Zelda fan but can confirm that is fantastic too. Also Mario + Rabbids is a fantastic strategy game with the fun element. Then you have the Switches ability to morph from home console to handheld. 100% recommend it if you're even a bit of a Nintendo fan.

Did they do a Mario Kart yet for the Switch? That could be the one that makes the deal for me when I've got a bit more ready cash available.

Squared
    I think there's a version 8 deluxe that is playable on the Switch?

Yeah it's a bit of an updated version of the last WiiU one.

Correct. I have it. Play it all the time. The improvement there seems to be in the Battle Modes. They are fantastic. And it has basically every course you could want

Ah cool - an investment needs to be made by the looks of things!

The Food Volcano world in Mario is breathtaking. I think Zelda is a much better game though (not a knock on Mario Odyssey which is nearly a masterpiece).

I love Mario Kart but it's so bare bones, even with whatever this jazzed up version on Switch has.

Squared
    Sounds like there's a special version of Zelda coming for it too.

Current prices are a bit beyond me currently but definitely one to look out for if that changes. Have had a play on someone else's and it's a lot of fun.

Being pretty deep into Super Mario Odyssey now, I must say this game is amazing. Beautifully rendered, great gameplay, almost perfect in its execution. This is why I still game.