Thread: Discworld

Squared

Discworld

I know some of the posters who read on this board have a liking for the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett, so I thought you might like a space of your own in which you can discuss the 40+ novels and various other spinoffs in the series.

For my part I've only read The Colour of Magic and didn't take to it quite so much as I thought I might. But I've always liked the idea of Discworld and like the sound of them when people talk about some of the others. So I wonder if it's worth trying out a few more. If so, is it worth sticking with them in some kind of sequence or can you pick them up and put them down as you please?

If I can skip straight to it, I'd be interested in looking at Mort because that's the one that did best in The Big Read project a few years back and I reckon it'd be a good tester as to whether there'll be much in the series for me at all.

The Brain
    Yeah, Color of Magic is arguably not the place to start with Discworld. STRONGLY suggest Small Gods, my personal favorite and a very place to pick things up. It's nice that it's easy to jump back and forth in the series, there's a little bit of continuity between certain main characters like Vimes and, well, mostly Vimes, but even those City Watch books easily stand alone.

Squared
    Ok, cool. Will have to look into that. Will see if I can pick up a cheap copy or get one from the library.

Samuel Plan
    I recommend all the City Watch stuff. The Fifth Elephant is my favourite of the series. There's a certain cinematic quality to it I adore. Pratchett's humour and wit is incredible. If you've ever liked a sheepster column, you should really like Discworld.

Hogfather is great too. The line about us inventing boredom in a universe so full of wonders has always stuck with me.

I like Soul Music and Eric

Prime, I'd recommend Soul Music and Unseen Academicals. Think they will be your best bet in terms of transferring your world view from this one to his. Then try reading the others!