Thread: AC/DC and Axl Rose

Squared

AC/DC and Axl Rose

So for those who don't know, Brian Johnson had to take time off and was replaced on tour by Axl Rose of Guns N Roses.

Since then, Johnson has had to retire. Rose has replaced him permanently. And perhaps most intriguing of all, Rose and Angus Young are in the studio working on a new album.

I don't know of a more controversial topic in rock music right now. Thoughts on this coming together or of the potential music they will produce?

I think you might be oversimplifying things a bit Pete. I had tickets to see AC/DC prior to Brian Johnson being BOOTED from the band unceremoniously. They were one of the last bands I really wanted to see that I hadn't yet seen. From all accounts, Angus kicked Brian to the curb. He had some hearing loss from years of race car driving, but had visits scheduled with doctors to see if he could continue at some point. Angus wanted none of that so he basically fired him after years of working together. Axl stepped in and we got our money refunded, because I have ZERO desire to see Axl Rose do AC/DC songs.

AC/DC is no more. You can call it whatever you want, but they shouldn't call it AC/DC even though they will. Angus is the last remaining member of the band as Malcolm Young had to retire due to dementia and Phil Rudd basically got busted for trying to have someone killed. So it's Angus, and Axl. Call it Axl Young or some shit like that, but don't tarnish the AC/DC name with whatever drivel is going to come out next.

I'm a little bitter, can you tell?

Squared
    I didn't know some of that, wasn't intentionally downplaying it.

Does put a different spin on things. Am not totally surprised though. Young probably thought they went on after Bon Scott and they go on after Brian Johnson. And if Axl has a trademark hissy fit and leaves, they might well go on after him too.

I have no idea how much of the music Axl will be contributing because if it isn't Young's baby it sure as hell won't sound like a DC album.

For me once Malcolm Young left the band it stopped being AC/DC, the only one left now that was a member when they were at their peak is Angus so it is as much AC/DC as Guns n Roses was with just Axl left.

The two probably deserve each other.

Squared
    Seems as good a place as any to mention that Malcolm Young has died aged 64. Another legend of Rock music no longer with us.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

Damn.

One of the great pure rhythm guitarists. He was the yin to Angus' yang and gave his brother the most solid of platforms to launch off.

A sad loss indeed.

Squared
    In keeping with the thread, I read that GNR did knocking on heaven's door, dedicated to Malcolm, on a show the other night.

Which is interesting.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"