Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The King of Strong Style - Shinsuke Nakamura

I think on the main roster they play him more towards getting laughs but that was to be expected. I don't see a massive shift in character, its not like he was a mute on NXT but like things like last week of entering the rumble are supposed to be seen as amusing, not badass.

Squared
    Any comments on Omega and his statement that Nakamura is 'soulless' in WWE?

@lopprimetime

The Brain
    What can you say when a guy states the obvious? Hate to say it but pretty hard to argue with.

I must have missed that, thanks for bringing it up.

"When I see Nakamura in WWE, it's hard for me to say he's done anything compelling in-ring since he's been there, which is a shame. It will just take the one right story and the one right moment and then people will be captivated by everything that he does. Right now, he hasn't had that."
    He didn't completely blurry him. I'd say since he made the main roster he was bordering on getting there against Jinder but missed out on the title which at the time was a really huge step back. At Survivor Series though he was still getting pops early before his elimination and even as late as Clash of Champions the crowd was still singing his song and getting behind him when he DID get a chance to shine.

Omega is right, he is still great but he just need sa program to showcase that and hasn't had that yet on the main roster.

Squared
    Here's a follow up, then. If Omega is right and Shinsuke is soulless in WWE, and if the reports that he is favourite to win the Royal Rumble are correct, then are they hurtling towards some kind of disaster at Wrestlemania - do they need to find a way to inject something into Nak in the next month or so to avoid an underwhelming feud, and potentially even match, in a pretty crucial area of the card?

@lopprimetime

The Brain
    Sadly, I don't think it really makes much difference. Nak may not be showing the same spark that made him seem out of this world in top New Japan matches, but he'll still put on a good match and there's a certain loyalty within the hardcore fanbase that will make it be viewed as, at absolute worst, lukewarm. And who knows? Nak was often lazy in New Japan also, though it was commented on less because people tend to cherry pick top matches from Japan. If he turns the dial up again when the chips are down, his bandwagon may fill up again overnight.

Squared
    I'll admit I am still on the bandwagon. I guess it is more important to me that you have that indefinable something than being turned up to eleven all the time.

But at the same time we saw how painful tv can be with an uninspired programme when Orton won last year. Hate for it to follow that line again.

@lopprimetime

So Shinsuke and AJ at mania I guess?

The Brain
    Seems that way! I'm interested to see how it goes. I really liked their New Japan bout, though not quite as much as some. I hope people don't set the bar so high that they end up disappointing themselves. I think it should be fun regardless, not sure what they do on the road to 'Mania though.

Well, since they have a PPV in early march for Smackdown, they don't have to push a long story built with AJ and Nakamura. AJ is probably wrestling Zayn at Fastlane. I guess Nak could beat KO there and then you'll have 3 weeks to build up AJ and Nakamura.

I loved their match in NJPW and for the WWE audience, they could run that match back, and it would still be great.. But i imagine AJ is going to want to do something different.

Squared
    You'd think they'd be looking to freshen it up and will be looking to try and steal the show.

@lopprimetime

The Brain
    Well AJ pretty much always tries to do that, and as we saw against Sami, Nak is never more motivated than when he's in a significant match against an opponent he likes, so I'm hoping we see truly top form Nakamura come 'Mania.

I'm hoping they run the match more as a sequel than a rerun, something that is informed and educated by the previous match. Hopefully show the way these two fighters have grown and evolved.

I was just saying they could do the same match, not that they will. I don't even know if they'll get the required although i hope so..

I would love for AJ to do the Spinal tap if he still could.

its also obvious that they are not turning either and really only gave themselves 3 Smackdowns to build any type of story since AJ is likely to be a five way title match at Fastlane a month before Mania.
    Last edited by Lazyking; 02-11-2018 at 08:56 PM.