Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: International Football (World Cup, Euros, Qualifiers, England, Etc.)

Ironically?

Squared
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazza View Post
    The Dutch are faves right now but I am open to persuasion...
    If you like Orange, what about going for a very good Ivory Coast team instead of a mediocre Dutch one?

Given your distaste for white strips, what about the Black Portugal away kit?

The most distinctive strips in the world are the Croatians, with that checkerboard pattern... plus, it's Red and White, so club allegiance, plus they have Eduardo so there is some Arsenal connection...

Personally I kinda like the Belgian kit....

Ivory Coast is officially on the table. I could never do a Portugal kit whilst CR7 is there! The Croatia kit is offensive to my eyes!

What about a nice green Nigerian kit with Ameobi on the back?

Or is that too hipster?

doublehelix
    Just get a Jozy Altidore jersey and declare to everyone that you have no taste, judgment, or standards. Bad jersey, bad player, just hop right into that vortex of shit.

I suggest a 2006 Angola World Cup shirt.

Cameroon's shirt is bitching. Argentina's is also a favourite of mine.

Shinobi
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
    What about a nice green Nigerian kit with Ameobi on the back?

Or is that too hipster?
    I'd buy one. I presume he's number 23...

Maybe Shola Ama...

Dozy Jozy would be very hipster I guess. Most hipster football shirt I have is a Sweden one from 94. If I am going throwback it is no doubt a 70s Dutch top, or an 86 Maradona one. Cameroon's top is nice, but not sure I could deal with green!

Squared
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazza View Post
    The Croatia kit is offensive to my eyes!
    I'm kind of with you on the home strip, but when the red/white checks become the trim to the Italian-esque blue on their away strip it becomes a thing of beauty.

As for me, I've my replica 1966 (with 6 on the back) and replica Euro '96 kits to keep me going. If I want something hipster I'll probably get Ulises de la Cruz on the back of an Ecuador kit or something.

EDIT: I also found the last World Cup Prediction contest on a Flash drive, so we can relive how badly we all did....

2014 FIFA World Cup

I'll pick Germany to win it all even though I admittedly know close to nothing about international soccer, outside my FIFA video game knowledge. But since this is the only time most Americans watch soccer, might as well start a thread.

Jurgen Klinsmann was right when he said the U.S. won't win the World Cup, but he should have been fired on the spot anyway after making those comments.

Who you got? Any surprise teams to watch? Who wins the Golden Boot?

Chile campeon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11 11111111111111

Ingerlend

Go Croatia! No way this holds up but it would be hilarious if it did.

StormDragonZ
    I have Germany as my realistic pick to win it all.

Group A: Brazil & Mexico advance
    Group B: Spain & Chile advance
    Group C: Greece & Colombia advance
    Group D: England & Uruguay advance
    Group E: Honduras & Switzerland advance
    Group F: Argentina & Nigeria advance
    Group G: Germany & United States advance
    Group H: Russia & Belgium advance

Brazil vs. Chile: Brazil wins
    Mexico vs. Spain: Spain wins
    Greece vs. Uruguay: Greece stuns to win
    England vs. Colombia: England wins
    Honduras vs. Nigeria: Honduras wins
    Switzerland vs. Argentina: Argentina wins
    Germany vs. Belgium: Germany wins
    United States vs. Russia: ???

Was it just me or did Croatia get a tad hosed there?

Anybody else see the irony in the fact that England are often criticized for not playing more like Brazil and then Brazil win their opening game with a scruffy shot, a dodgy penalty and a toe punter?

The Brasil game wasnt the best, but it was a good enough way to start the World Cup. Controversy, goals, and just a small chance that Neymar may actually live up to the ridiculous pressure that he has been subjected to.

Storm, you really picking Honduras over France? Really?

Ingerlend, ingetlrnd na na.

Fuck I'm drunkm

StormDragonZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
    The Brasil game wasnt the best, but it was a good enough way to start the World Cup. Controversy, goals, and just a small chance that Neymar may actually live up to the ridiculous pressure that he has been subjected to.

Storm, you really picking Honduras over France? Really?
    Controversy has to happen at some point. I truly did think of France moving on, but I smell a backstabbing somewhere.

I like France for a deeeeeep run. Semi finalists.

Good game last night, Neymar stood up to the pressure and Oscar was particularly impressive.

I could take four goals in every game.

Holland/Spain the big one tonight. Mouthwatering stuff.

Tromboner Man
    No doubt Holland/Spain is going to be an epic. I think you can pretty much guarantee whomever wins it will go through, and possibly top of the group as well. I know Chile will have something to say about that, but it's the sort of match you'd be loving to start your campaign off with.

In the same vein, the Australia/Chile game will be insane, should Australia any positive result out of it. A draw or a win, and you'll have the whipping boys of the groups of death having real belief of doing the same to the other two in the group. A loss for Chile, and I can't see them progressing. Pressure will be right on Chile, who have everything to lose in game one.

Overall, Brazil and Spain are my picks to go on and win the Cup, but I wouldn't be surprised if Argentina did too. Japan is my really big dark horse. They are an impressive team. Very impressive.

That header by Netherlands just now was sick.

van fucking Persie. Man that was beautiful.

I don't watch normally, but damn, glad I caught this game.

The Netherlands are flying around right now.

A Professional Sort Of
    I think Houndyourass is a dark horse for the whole thing.

Any big time upsets so far?

A Professional Sort Of
    I wouldn't call the Netherlands' 5-1 win over Spain an upset since Netherlands is still a really good side, just the amount of goals on the Spanish was surprising.

Not a suprise however was the fact that the Spanish goalkeeper Casillas has been dragged for the rest of the tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
    Any big time upsets so far?
    Arguably Costa Rica beating Uruguay yesterday, depends who you listen to for the hype of Uruguay.

Squared
    Reasonable from England last night, I thought. Obviously second best, and didn't look the finished article by any means, but I can't remember a game that decent against top opposition in a major tournament since... I dunno, probably 2004? So, given my low-ish expectations going in, you've got to take the positives out of it.

I still think they've got some problems with the shape, and knowing who is actually in the best XI. I'm not sure long term you can start with Sturridge, Rooney and Sterling all inn the same team unless Sterling can play more as a wide man. Tough decisions might have to be made. But still, that's a game that might well have taught them, and Roy, a lot.

Meanwhile, I thought Italy looked to have more than they did a couple of years ago. Another deep run on the cards, perhaps, and maybe a quite tasty Quarter final against the Dutch.

I loved watching England try to play good football and attack the other team, I would rather watch us play like that and lose 2-1 to a solid Italy side than watch us play shite and get a draw.

Sterling is the man, Rooney not so much. But swap their positions round and you can get the best from both of them.

Best start imaginable for the U.S. Don't blow it.

Squared
    The US have already surpassed my expectations.

Everybody's second team, the brightest dark horse we've seen in aeons, Belgium are just under 90 minutes from kicking off. Hope Janujaz gets a bit of game time.

Good day of football with Brazil at 8pm.

Belgium to win & Lukaku to score anytime 11/8
    Brazil to win & Neymar to score anytime Evs

MONEY ^

Squared
    I've a bet not unlike that on. Only I need 3 goals in each game, too. Seems plausible enough to me.

Now that was an awesome game.

This World Cup started off amazingly, but the last two days havent exactly been scintillating. Tempted to skip a few group stage games just so I don't burn out on football. I've only missed one game so far, the Ivory Coast game.

Ochoa, the Football Manager wunderkind, fulfilled his -10 potential last night!

Great day of football today. Last nights betting wasn't too successful, so keeping it a little more straight forward today.

Holland, Chile, Croatia all to win is just the other side of 10/1. That'll do me fine.

Squared
    Two great goals in a minute. Great game already.

EJ84
    This is crazy.

I fully expect the class of the Netherlands to come through, but maaaaaan. Since Cahill equalised (great goal by the way), we have been on top, with two excellent opportunities missed.