Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: International Football (World Cup, Euros, Qualifiers, England, Etc.)

Squared
    Why's that? I'd have thought it was very hard to argue with his CV.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

Style of football, combined with the fact Toshack killed our team. As I said previously, most of our success has come from young inexperienced managers, not lame ducks.

Squared
    Style of football I could maybe understand, but I think the other point is less convincing. John Toshack counts as a lame duck in that last spell for sure, as his last even half decent spell had been at Madrid in the previous millennium, but I wouldn't have thought someone with Pulis' record could be called that. As it goes, Gary Speed's tenure was (unfortunately) too short to really be judged against other managers, and Chris Coleman's record was actually better than Mark Hughes. So I don't think the less experienced argument works, if I am honest.

But it looks like you might be closer to the thinking of the FAW. Giggs and Bellamy favourites for the job. I wouldn't let Craig Bellamy manage an allotment personally, but there we go. I imagine Giggs is clearly the guy they are after, though with him you will have to deal with the fact that if he does well, he'll be off to the Premier League very quickly. No way he'll be there six years like Coleman. One way or the other he'll be gone in three.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

So they've got Tunisia as the opening game, then Panama and then Belgium in the final group game. Niiice. Seems like an easy group to get out of, especially if they can start well and don't need anything from the Belgium game. And what with being in group G, they'll know roughly who they'll probably play in the next round depending on the Belgium result. I'd rate their chances against any of the teams in group H though. I'd be excited about their chances.

Hah. Just realised that there's a chance of Germany in the quarters/semis again though.
    Last edited by sheepster; 12-01-2017 at 11:02 AM.

Squared
    England's group is not too bad, but there's no such thing as an easy game anymore. It'll either be the making or the end of Gareth Southgate as a manager, how they do in that group stage. I don't think anyone would be too worried by going out to a team like Germany in the quarters.

Speaking of Germany, there's a rumour being published in some places that each German player will get more than 300,000 euro each if the retain the world cup. Not a bad incentive.

Wales interviewing Giggs, Bellamy, and Coleman's number two, Osian Roberts, for the job this week apparently. As I said above, I'd have to choose between the two non-Bellamy options.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

Still can't get my head around the US missing the next World Cup

I've been quoted 17/1 on England to win the next World Cup. That's shorter odds than Portugal which is strange.

Squared
    I saw rumours in the press that West Ham's Declan Rice, London-born but an Irish age group player, is being monitored by Southgate and his team. Could be a battle to call him up in the future.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

That's very interesting. He's already been in a couple of RoI senior squads over the past 12 months or so, I think he got his first call-up just after debuting for West Ham, but he's yet to play for them I believe.

Squared
    What do you all make of the uncapped names in the next England squad?
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

Tarkowski has been having a good season. The rest seems like trying players out for the sake of experience and experimenting.

Squared
    I see no one is getting carried away with a win over a pretty poor Netherlands team...
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

They played some neat stuff, but the reaction is the appropriate one I feel, i.e. good job, move on to the next game.

The pleasing thing was that, without Wilshere, Kane, Alli (from the start), etc. we played well. Perhaps Gareth has got the whole squad beating to the same drum, which can only be a good thing.

But yes, that Netherlands team is by far the worst in my lifetime. Devoid of any real good players. Then again that could be a blessing in disguise, as it could unite the team as a whole together going forward.