Thread: Championship/Football Manager Discussion/Bragging Thread

Squared

Championship/Football Manager Discussion/Bragging Thread

They're certainly not everyone's cup of tea, but for the hardcore football fan there's always been little better in terms of gaming than the championship and football manager series. Forget FIFA, forget Pro Evo, crafting your strategy and getting the right players in to fulfil your goals was always the highest level of footballing prowess you could get on a computer game.

So this thread is for those of you who've played any of the Sports Interactive series way more than is healthy. If you've ever stayed up until 2 in the morning trying to work out exactly how you can get more out of the barely known Lithuanian winger your top European scout recommended to you, then you'll doubtless want to relive some of your glory days here.

I've had maybe three or four of the games over the years, but two specific instances stand out more than any others.

The first was on Championship Manager 1997/98, where I started with Villa and turned them into league powerhouses through a combination of a couple of astute signings and bringing on a couple of kids - one of whom I remember was called Jonathan McManaman. I think he must have been one of the games inventions, but he played right wing for me for a number of seasons. Eventually I got offered the England job and did it as a part timer, as you were able to do on the earlier versions of the game, and in 2006 I managed to win the league and champions league in a double with Villa, and then added the world cup in the summer. Honestly, that was way better than footballing reality in 2006.

The only other thing I really remember about that game as it was years ago now, is that I had a young striker called Scott Bundy who looked really useful but couldn't displace my starters, so I sold him on as he wanted first team football. Then the club who bought him sold him to Birmingham, and he promptly came back and scored a winner against me in a West Midlands derby. I know it's not real but I was genuinely more livid about this than is reasonable.

The other game I really played a lot was Football Manager 2010. This time I remember starting out with England in kind of a Klinsmann way and I did quite well early, including winning a world cup, so I held the job for a long, long time before I got sacked. Then I was into club management, but virtually all of the players were computer generated, and most of the people who'd played for me for England when I started were now managing rival clubs. I went in at Villa but they had been taken over by a billionaire. I spent quite a bit but only challenged rather than actually winning things, so naturally they gave me the boot. I remember having two spells that were pretty decent. The first was at Tottenham where I turned them back into a competitive force and I think won some minor trophies, but the real success was at Liverpool, who were in midtable when I took over. By the time I finished playing the game they were the most successful club in Britain again, winning leagues and doubles galore against far better funded sides. I bought a lad who was now a vet who played in my midfield at Tottenham and played a really straightforward 4-4-2 with a lot of homegrown pacy talent up front and on the wings, and it all just clicked together.

As you can tell since that was 2010 I'm a bit out of the loop now and have less time to play than I used to - but I still get the urge to try and start something up again every so often.

Anyway, that's my best. Over to you guys.

I don't think I could ever get beyond a couple of seasons. I could never figure out a way to get the team working properly. I'm not sure I have a league-mindset, and a bad run of form would make me seriously disinterested to continue.

How do you figure out what tactics will work and which players you can get the best out of. I tend to panic and change everything up after two bad matches.

Squared
    I know some people have tactics they stick to regardless but I analyse the squad when I start a job and see the best formation for the players I have. So if you don't have any full backs you probably go three at the back, that sort of thing. Then you buy to cover any weak position or if there aren't any invest in the spine of the team.

Then it's all about tinkering. Don't throw elements that are working out, but be free enough to throw caution to the wind if you are chasing the game. Even if you don't catch up you might learn something for the next game.

Lastly don't respect reputation and sub even your best players if they are under performing.

I'm a fair addict of it, when I was doing my starter badges in 08/09 I would have many nights. Often getting 10-15 seasons in, had done since the earliest game.. broken many a mouse. I actually was on the game for a couple of years when I played in the league of Wales, I was shite, and signed myself always, obviously.

Had a few years off when I moved here, then when my best mate moved out a couple of years ago we started network games, pretty easy to clock up some time staying up until 3am for some games.

The souting network is unbelievable now. Premier league teams actually use them, they have a larger database of information than any team on the planet, and they sell their information.. except to Watford, who the creator works with, because he's a fan. They have always had unknown stars that become FM famous but regular players werent suprised by any of the Monaco players from last year.

Im a 2 formation guy, defensive and attacking.. kinda like Mourinho I guess. Way too scared to try something new

Squared
    Of course you buy yourself. It's only human. To my eternal shame I edited myself in to one of the early games when I was a kid, which is a nerd level way above creating yourself on FIFA or whatever. So obviously if I was actually in the game I'd sign myself. Didn't understand that if you gave yourself massive potential and started at a shit club that you wouldn't score 40 goals a season or whatever because the likes of Milan or somebody would always come in and buy you pretty much straightaway, so I didn't bother after a while!

I remember some FM famous players - Ibrahima Bakayoko jumps to mind. Tom Youngs of Cambridge United was always a must-buy on the 1998 one, too.

I never signed myself but I used to manipulate the game in ways that were probably inappropriate. The most entertaining tool was using the editor to create an injury. The injury was insanely common and would rule people out were 18-24 month. It was wonderful to go through a season and see all the clubs scrambling for much weaker players as their players were injured . A lot of players would simply retire too.

Alas, I haven’t bought a desktop version for years. I play almost exclusively on an iPad now for FM and it has all functionality I need at 100 times the speed.

Yeah a mate in sixth form did it for our school team, took over Norwich or someone and edited all the players with our actual stats, got a lot right too (in context) - then actually got mad at me because he had to fine me when I wanted a move to Aston Villa, he was actually really pissed off at me

Squared
    Ha, like you'd infiltrated the game and unsettled yourself or something. Awesome.

I tried playing on the PSP back when the PSP was a thing, but the trouble I have is I can become a little bit control freak-y about it, so once I get used to having an option I find it very difficult to go back to not being able to micromanage in that way. It's the one thing that stops me loading up and playing the old 1998 one more often, because obviously by 2010 there was just so much more you could control. Going back to just choosing a formation and passing, direct, or long ball style feels less tactical and more like roulette!

I had FM09 - it was the last desktop version I bought, actually - and used to constantly start games at Crewe. The appeal was that they had youth facilities way beyond any of their peers, basically they were set at Premier League kind of levels, so you could hoover up a few young prospects, develop them, sell them on, and before you knew it you had a bunch of money to attack the league with. And on top of that you'd bring through players for pennies, which always appealed.

I ended up winning everything in sight with them over about 10 seasons, from the Johnstone's Paint through to the Champions League and everything in between. The only reason I kept going to 10 seasons was because it took me that long to win the damn League Cup. But they were a pretty handy powerhouse when I left.

Always managed to sign Yarmolenko and Zozulya for free, or nearly free - the 2,000 sort of range at most - and they's rip League One and the Championship to shreds in tandem.

I actually got FM16 on the mobile recently and played with Yeovil on there. Took them from League 2 to being Premier League champions in a few seasons. Loved it because it was so quick to play, like a flashback to those early CM games. I've tried the demos of some of the more recent games and found them sort of impenetrable - I don't know whether it's just being removed from them for a while or something else, but 09 seemed to strike a good balance.

Squared
    2010 was the last one I got to grips with. I don't know if I struggled with the 2016 demo because they've gone too full-on or because I am less interested football than I was in the past. Could be the game, I guess.

Squared
    This may be the Insomnia talking but getting a game of this up and running seems like a great idea at the moment.

@lopprimetime

The last one I bought was FM16, where I have played only one save. After being sacked by Coventry after 27 games, I saved Dag and Red from relegation and have since got them into the Premier League on a shoestring. I think I'm about 13 seasons in - there's only a few real players left. I signed a 33 year old Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, but he turned out to be a complete donkey.

Been playing since Champ Manager 98 and still going strong 20 years later.

Just finished my first season at West Ham in my first file in the 2018 game and finished 2nd with Hernandez and Dembele (The Celtic one) being the spearhead of an attack that scored 90 goals in the Premier League.

Haven't bought the mobile version for this year yet but still playing the 2017 version where I started at Welling and then got left for Dundee Utd after getting promoted where I won the title within 2 years and dominated Scotland by 2019. Left for Fulham the year after but had a bust up with the board after they only gave me 22k to try and survive in the Premier League with and so they promptly sacked me and so returned to Scotland with Rangers where I've dominated Scotland since my return and in 2023 finally ended my run of Europa League wins by reaching the Champions League semi final. Currently midway through the 2023/2024 season where I'm topping a Champions League group of Real Madrid/Spurs/Porto/Rangers. The entire time I've been in Scotland I've also been the Republic of Ireland manager and led Ireland to 2 semi final World Cup appearances and a Euro Championship Quarter Final appearance. So essentially I've turned Ireland into England, sadly there are 0 decent young goalkeepers coming through.

Squared
    I found the 2007 version still installed on my laptop. Started a new game. This will either be forgotten about in weeks or, more likely, take up more time than I can spare. Again.

Managing Notts County in League 2.

@lopprimetime

I love these management games but have never found one that is any good for cricket or rugby which are the sports I'd most like to have in one.

Then make one yourself?

Squared
    There are versions for Cricket and both codes of Rugby, but I don't believe they are considered to be in the same league as games, really.

@lopprimetime

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    There are versions for Cricket and both codes of Rugby, but I don't believe they are considered to be in the same league as games, really.
    Yeah I've tried the cricket one, it is no where near the quality of the football ones. It is pretty much the same with the general rugby and cricket games, the audience for football is just so much bigger so the games are given far more scope than the more niche sports. Management games are even more niche again so I understand the commercial reality behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by sheepster View Post
    Then make one yourself?
    Would you buy that?

It’s odd. I got Lincoln to the Premiership and into the Champions League but I can still only get jobs in the Championship! Most frustrating.

Squared
    That's the complete opposite of Sensible Soccer, where you can get the national team job if you do well in Europe with a team from Latvia or Moldova.

@lopprimetime