Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Cooking Thread

You've never heard of sriracha? Wow, our day to day cultures really are quite different, aren't they? Sriracha is just now coming down from being the flavor du jour for the last couple years here in the States. It's virtually inescapable. I've been a fan for quite some time, myself, especially on chicken wraps.

Hope you like spicy stuff.

I never did come up with anything that seemed right for my Cinnamon Pebbles. I believe I'm going to take a shot at turning them into a sort of no-bake cookie that many call "haystacks". It typically calls for oatmeal but I've seen some recipes that substitute corn flakes. Perhaps the Pebbles will work. Or perhaps I'll have just wasted them. Or perhaps they'll work and be overpowered by the flavors of peanut butter and chocolate.

Here's the traditional recipe, for those curious as to what the hell I'm babbling on about.

3 cups of oatmeal (uncooked)
    1/2 cup peanut butter
    1⁄2 cup milk
    1⁄2 cup butter
    1⁄2 cup cocoa
    1 dash salt
    2 cups sugar
    1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla

Combine the sugar, milk, butter, cocoa and salt in a saucepan and bring to a boil, making sure to stir and not scorch it.

Remove from heat and add in vanilla, peanut butter and oats, mixing them up well.

Drop by the spoonful (or however big you want them) onto a parchment lined cookie sheet (try to do this pretty quickly to avoid the mixture stiffening up and making it unnecessarily difficult) and then refrigerate or simply let cool for about 30 minutes. The amount of cookies you get out of it will vary depending upon how big or small you choose to make them.

They're crazy sweet but awfully good. They're also incredibly simple and never fail to please. In other words, I've gotten laid for making these cookies and it took every bit of, like, 15 minutes of effort. They're also nice if you're looking for a simple contributions to a family pot luck or something, though I would hope they don't get you laid in that case.

Here's what they look like when done.

Samuel Plan
    Got my Bowls of Stuff for the next three days a done, per Oli's enlightenment (I'll call them...Bowlines?! No, maybe not...) and had my first taste of Sriracha. I think I'm in love. Talk about god's nectar!!

Squared
    Surprised you've not come across that before 'Plan, it's been quite trendy here for a while now.

I think I like the sound of those things with corn flakes more than oatmeal. Could just be my own taste thought. Quite partial to the classic cornflake/rice krispie cake.

Been away for a few days so not cooked anything for a while. I find it takes me a bit of time to get it together again after a few days on the fish and chips.

@lopprimetime

I did my first ever Roast Beef over the Christmas break! Was surprisingly simple to get it cooked but I still did a nice rosemary, garlic and olive oil rub to coat it and try and imbue it with some extra flavour. Here is it going in:

In the end I possibly over did it a little, also did some potatoes and veg with it. Here is the finished product:

Sure I'm not going to win any instagram prizes for photography but it was very tasty and I'm looking forward to cooking one again when it cools down, may even try a roast pork and get some crackling. The one problem with my home being quite small is the oven heats the whole thing up ridiculously and with the heat outside it just makes for a hot home that even my air con can't cool down.

Squared
    That's a good effort Sam. Been years since I have tried anything like that. I am the only one in the house who eats meat so there isn't much call for a joint of meat. Tend to either do smaller bits or, more often, cook Vegetarian at home a only eat meat when I eat out.

Thinking of making something like a Biryani this evening.

@lopprimetime

Don't cook much but do a mean rare steak, with fries and garlic mushrooms

How'd that Biryani come along?

Squared
    Middling, to be honest. Wasn't my best.

Made a great carbonara the other day, though.

@lopprimetime

I "love" cooking? I mean I do, but when you get too good at it, it kind of becomes a job. I'm the one that cooks in my house- 90% of all meals. I do the meal planning, groceries, all of it. And despite that I still mostly enjoy doing it. It is a real fucking drag though when I'm sick.

I've become the official turkey cooker of my family. Multiple special occasions a year I'm the requested cook. Pro tip- BRINE YOUR TURKEY. Seriously, there is the wrong way to prepare a turkey, and then there is brining it. I just made a 22lb bird for my "mother in laws" (long time gf) bday party yesterday. Everyone was raving about it. I knew I truly succeeded because my two toddlers ate it. That is the biggest win I can gain in cooking. I brined it for only 16 hours, but I stuffed it with apples and put rosemary on it, and cooked it in chicken broth. I almost put bacon on top but saved it for breakfast today lol. Ive put bacon on turkey before though, and it gives it a nice slight smoked flavor.

I tend to make 1 big meal a week, the rest of the week it is simpler stuff. Grandiose meals all the time would burn me out fast, but my family always had the traditional big weekly meal, usually on Sundays, and I usually honor that. I have a family recipe chili that I've tweaked and is a constant request, though honestly if I didnt have to cater to spice wimps it would be MUCH hotter. Though I'll be perfectly honest, it wouldn't involve Sirarcha. I don't get the craze over that stuff honestly.

I suppose my signature dish is Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo- I make the alfredo from scratch. That is a super heavy, hearty, comfort food. A pick me up, but it wont gain you a summer body lol. This dish often gets the comment of why do I not cook for a career. Though cooking for a career would suck unless you get to pick the menu you prepare daily/weekly. Any other scenario you have to prepare everything under a tight regimen, with no artistic wiggle room- that sounds like a slow death to me.

Plus nobody wants to come home and do what they just did at work. Mechanics dont want to mechanic, doctors dont want to doct, and cooks dont want to cook- which would be bad, as my kids would probably starve.

Oh and poutine is pretty good. Not great for me personally, just because I like my "chips" to have a crunch to them, and the gravy makes them a bit soggy- its mostly a texture thing for me. The flavors are good though.

As an American, I also looove Shepherd's Pie and Worcestershire sauce- not together though. The only meal my mom made well was Shepherd's Pie growing up, and she always knocked it out of the park. As for Worcestershire sauce I've always loved the taste, and often will substitute some in when certain recipes call for liquids (like doing part Worcestershire sauce instead of the full on beef broth, or instead of just water). Shepherd's Pie is actually one of the meals I wa t to perfect a recipe for, right alongside Lasagna. For some reason those two meals pose my biggest challenges.