Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Seth Rollins Thread

Yeah, I agree that they are playing up to it but I still don't like it. Now Dean is out for the foreseeable future I am rooting for Seth to get a big role at Mania and a midcard match with Jordan just isn't that. Even a tag match against The Revival would be good but still feels 'below' where Rollins should be.

I suppose it does leave him ready to quickly jump up and become a big contender to whoever ends up with the Universal Title post Mania.

I think it's a natural progression of both characters.

In Seth you have an opportunistic guy who has quite happily taken on a new tag partner to replace his own brother just for his own personal gain.

In Jordan you have a slightly out of his depth blue chipper who is getting gifted opportunities by his own father and is, somewhat, gaining an ego as a result.

Now, if they can get to the point where Rollins buys in to Jordan as a tag partner, they can have a run together where they both grow in confidence - Jordan in himself, Rollins in his partner.

Then BAM you bring back Ambrose as a heel who attacks Rollins for immediately moving on from his brother. Ambrose will be one of those 'heels who's technically right but reacting in an irrational way' characters which suits him amazingly, Rollins has continued his redemption by becoming friends with someone outside his immediate circle of 'brothers', which we've never really seen him do (even in The Authority it was clearly a business arrangement and Rollins didn't have a friend there), and Jordan has moved from this nepotistically favoured but underperforming rookie to a more rounded guy with a tag title reign behind him.

I like it.

Samuel Plan
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. You can't turn Ambrose heel off the back of a perceived betrayal by Seth. WWE isn't a good enough writer for that not to backfire catastrophically and have fans nodding in moral agreement with Dean. I'm not convinced it'd work even with great writing either. The betrayal is a closed arc now. Let's not re-open it unless we want the same results. So if the endgame is an Ambrose heel then do something new, I say.

Also, I must be reading this partnership differently to others. Rollins seems far from happy to have Jordan as a partner going on how he's reacting to the guy.

Samuel Plan
    The Curb Stomp appears to be back! And I couldn't be happier if I tried!!!

Agreed. Much better than the knee he couldn't quite get right.

Also if he ever gets back in a tag team with Dean Ambrose combining that with Dirty Deeds will be quite an amazing finisher.
    Last edited by SirSam; 01-16-2018 at 04:16 AM.

And it is apparently called the Blackout now, to further distance it from the curb stomp stigmata.

It was definitely originally called the Blackout in FCW/NXT. I'm pretty sure it was even referred to as such early on in his run.

I'm glad it's back, to be honest. Looks gnarly.

Squared
    I know that's how they'll spell it because it's American and all, but seeing it as Curb stomp just looks so wrong to me. Curb stomp sounds like a movement to limit stomping.

@lopprimetime

Have you ever seen American History X? If not, watch the clip below and you can understand why Vince didn't want the Curb Stomp as a finisher.

Samuel Plan
    Fantastic film, that.

Oli, I think Seth used Avada Kadavra as his finish in FCW? I might be wrong though. I know it was definitely the Blackout in NXT and, honestly, I love the name. It's a nice wink towards his name pre-WWE but suits the move to perfection as well. But regardless of what they call the thing, it's just awesome to see him have it back. It really did feel like there was a certain mojo missing from his ring game for a while. I never hated the Ripcord Knee thing like most people, but there's no denying it paled massively in comparison to what is his finishing move; and what could become a pretty iconic one if they let him keep it this time.

One question: could it signify he isn't getting near the WWE or Universal titles any time soon or am I reading too much into it?
    101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die: The Book is now available to buy on Amazon UK, Amazon US and Amazon Europe! Just search for "101 WWE Matches" and it'll pop up!

~ Samuel Plan

There's a log jam at just below Bork. Him wrestling once a qtr is keeping people form testing the waters up there. once he drops it, there will be a "mad dash" to the top for a few.

Personally, after Mania, I'd send him to SD. He'd do well as the guy opposite Styles.

But that's me fantasy booking. If Roman gets the title next and Rollins is on the same roster, they most likely won't pull the trigger on a realistic feud between him and Reigns until after Ambrose returns. Which could mean a potentially long time until he's there again.

The thing that gives me hope with Seth (and Dean too) is that while that logjam existed he was still given prominent positions on the card and a whole lot of time to do other things, so even though he wasnt' in the title picture he was still a focus of the show each week. Not every team gets 5 whole weeks to go back and forth on getting back together, most will make the save then suddenly be best friends again.

Squared
    The question has been asked as to whether Rollins is still a main event star in the WWE.

So is he just taking a break from the top of the card for the sake of variety, or is this now reflective of how he is actually seen?

@lopprimetime

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    The question has been asked as to whether Rollins is still a main event star in the WWE.

So is he just taking a break from the top of the card for the sake of variety, or is this now reflective of how he is actually seen?
    Roman Reigns is happening so variety isn't really a reason atm.

The Brain
    Yeah, I tend to think Rollins is still considered a main eventer. They are obviously treating this Jason Jordan storyline as a significant one, so he's elevating that story while being kept warm for big stuff post 'Mania. He may end up in a match with Angle out of it even. Between Brock/Roman and AJ/Nak, there's just not room in the title scene at the moment, but he'll go back there.

Rollins is one of those guys that still feels like he's treated like a big deal. With the brands being split, he still has plenty of mileage as a top guy taking on Styles, Nak in the coming year and I think he and Dean were arguably the hottest storyline for a few months getting back and likely they would have had a mania match if Dean didn't get hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    He may end up in a match with Angle out of it even.
    Given Jordan's injury and surgery, that doesn't seem like too much of a stretch right now.

Poor Seth has got to be having one of the worst Mania run-ins of anybody in recent history. Loses what would have likely been his first Mania storyline with Ambrose being injured, then loses his back-up with Jordan needing surgery.

Enter Chad Gable........
    "You egged my brother on, you pushed him, forced him to prove himself, with me he was safe, with you he has now lost feeling in his hands."

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    Given Jordan's injury and surgery, that doesn't seem like too much of a stretch right now.

Poor Seth has got to be having one of the worst Mania run-ins of anybody in recent history. Loses what would have likely been his first Mania storyline with Ambrose being injured, then loses his back-up with Jordan needing surgery.
    Losing the Ambrose program sucks, but is anyone really that disappointed that the Jordan match got cancelled? If Jordan is subbed with Angle, that would be a much more memorable feud for Seth, than going against someone who is heading towards a failed, or midcard, career in WWE, in Jordan.

Squared
    Jordan can walk without his knees looking like they have been put in backwards though, to be fair.

@lopprimetime

Quote Originally Posted by SirSam View Post
    Enter Chad Gable........
    "You egged my brother on, you pushed him, forced him to prove himself, with me he was safe, with you he has now lost feeling in his hands."
    No jokes, I'd be SUPER into Gable Vs Rollins.

Ally - I actually had high hopes for a Jordan/Rollins match. He might not have everything outside the ring locked down yet, but he's certainly a darned fine pro wrestler is Jason Jordan, and Seth's the same. JJ's longer Raw matches have been really enjoyable. Plus, I'm always into tag partners feuding for mutual respect or similar, in the Eddie/Rey fashion.

Watching Rollins haul Angle's reanimated corpse around the ring doesn't fill me with joy.

I feel like we will get a better idea on Raw tomorrow or next week where I imagine whatever he is doing at Elimination Chamber will be sorted out which should telegraph it.

I still refuse to believe that he will be left out in the dark even with such bad luck following him around.

The Brain
    Oh for sure, there's no way he's left off the card. They'll find something for him to do.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    Oh for sure, there's no way he's left off the card. They'll find something for him to do.
    If they can put Ambrose on the pre-show that one year, then they could easily do the same with Seth. Not saying that it will happen though.

The Brain
    I feel like WWE puts Rollins' stock notably higher than Ambrose's, but I guess you're right that you never know!

He's in a weird spot because even if they wanted to keep the team going, they can't because Jordan is hurt... and so logically you think Rollins will get a singles match... but there's probably going to be at least 4 singles matches more important....I'd honestly send him to SD asap

The Brain
    Something interpromotional might be a good idea honestly. He's definitely got some fresh opponents over there he hasn't interacted with in quite a while, thanks to the brand split.

I've liked this positioning against Finn Balor lately, they have history to work with, are both seemingly back on the way up and will put on a hell of a match if they do get pitted against one another. It is probably still more likely he will end up opposite Angle but I could really get on board with a feud with Finn.

Rollins vs Zayn, Rollins vs Nakamura, Rollins vs Owens, Rollins vs Styles, Rollins vs Chad Gable...

Yeah, I'd drop him to Smackdown right now. The main event scene there needs a fresh face. Plus, I want to see what 'Plan does when his favourite guy is on the show he doesn't watch.

I think On TRSOP he basically said he would switch watching shows or something to that effect. I think it would just get Seth away from the very cluttered main event scene and also give Smackdown a much needed extra top face who can carry a feud.

What a freakin performance.

Sorry for the double post but a win over Reigns AND Cena in a gauntlet match. If that isn't a statement of his status in the company I don't know what is. Reminded me of something Reigns said when the Shield got back together "we are the three workhorses that run this company". At the time Ambrose and Rollins were in a tag feud and hadn't really been close to the main event but tonight was a true reminder that the company is a lot more than Roman Reigns and even if he doesn't make the title match at this Mania Seth is right up there on the championship level.

Samuel Plan
    Yeah, Oli, there's no real conundrum there. If Rollins moves, I move! Who needs principles, right?

I cannot wait to see his performance from last night in full later tonight, having just watched the highlights. Back to back wins over Reigns and Cena in the longest single performance of Raw history. Fucking hell, man. That's impressive. Good to know he's reminded the doubters who the hell he is!

Not that some of us ever forgot in the first place, anyway!

It cements his status as a guy who's not a tag guy now. I don't know if he'll be Mr. Monday night and biggest face on raw but its one of those performances where you establish that Seth is no longer in that tag role, that he's still a threat to the best...

Quote Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
    It cements his status as a guy who's not a tag guy now. I don't know if he'll be Mr. Monday night and biggest face on raw but its one of those performances where you establish that Seth is no longer in that tag role, that he's still a threat to the best...
    Call me a fanboy a little lost in the moment but I feel like that would be an individual win over either of Reigns or Cena but both in one night, one after the other and over an hour in the ring, the longest ever of any wrestler on Raw, this feels different, like it is making a point that is quite a bit stronger. Outside of Lesnar these are the two biggest, most dominant wrestlers of the last 10+ years.

I dunno what is next and if anything will happen even at Elimination Chamber but I feel like they are gearing him up for something big.

I'm not Seth's biggest fan but I feel like he deserves a big spot at mania, i'm just not sure he's getting it..Does that mean Seth won't have a big 2018? No, it just means it will be delayed a bit. I see Rollins going in kayfabe hurt from the toll an hour long match does and just missing out at EC, then maybe working with Angle or in the Rousey Tag. I could maybe see Rollins/Miz as well at mania..

He is probably tagging with Rousey.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
    I like this take the best. Does this establish that Seth is a singles threat again? Yes. Does this mean he's suddenly going to be back to where he was three years ago? I need more proof than this match, especially since WWE gave Finn Balor not one but two showcase performances in the past few months, only to immediately cool him down the next show. I certainly think this can and will play well for Seth later in the year but for right now I'd be more cautiously optimistic than anything else. For all we know they gave Seth this run because he was the only guy involved who could do it (and really, other than Finn, who of those seven would you trust to go as long as Seth did) and he'll be eliminated first on Sunday before transitioning to a midcard Mania feud.

It sounds as if it was an amazing performance. He'll probably go out first to The Miz on Sunday if the WWE booking team is consistant. I see the Chamber setting up a lot of Mania matches. So if Reigns/Lesnar is a lock, Rollins could face Cena, Strowman, Miz, Elias or Balor. I'd be fine with any of those 5 really. Rollins vs Cena could be a lot of fun and would actually be preferable, if they hadn't just given it away for free. But I'd love to see Rollins/Miz in a singles match. I'd rather that than Miz vs Strowman or Balor and it would elevate the title.

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
    It sounds as if it was an amazing performance. He'll probably go out first to The Miz on Sunday if the WWE booking team is consistant. I see the Chamber setting up a lot of Mania matches. So if Reigns/Lesnar is a lock, Rollins could face Cena, Strowman, Miz, Elias or Balor. I'd be fine with any of those 5 really. Rollins vs Cena could be a lot of fun and would actually be preferable, if they hadn't just given it away for free. But I'd love to see Rollins/Miz in a singles match. I'd rather that than Miz vs Strowman or Balor and it would elevate the title.
    I don't know, I feel like Rollins is the odd duck there - Elias and Cena have issues that are building, and Miz and Strowman have arguably been bubbling up since TLC last year. Kind of leaves you with Balor and Rollins, but they're not directly feuding despite how the story of the pair has been wound together since Balor's debut.

That said, Rollins is the only member of The Shield who isn't a Grand Slam champion yet. That could give him a bit of storyline emphasis to go after The Miz, I suppose, especially if he's on a 'proving himself' storyline.

Joe is still to come back too I believe. Not sure who I see as the odd duck out. I could see them all being the odd duck out except Cena. The events of the RAW after EC I think will paint the picture.