Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Empress of Tomorrow- Asuka

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
    I just think either Dana doesn't work that hard or Vince doesn't like her. I mean if you've watched her on the main roster, she gained weight and was barely used after Charlotte dropped her and with Paige back and her two lackeys, Dana is low on the totem pole of priority.

Which is why i'm confused people don't get sent back to NXT

As for Asuka, do you think if Asuka does have a singles match at Mania, it will one of her best matches? Or an extended squash.
    Dana has gained weight, but it's not like she's ballooning in size. She looks like she's packed on some serious muscle. Mr. Olympia doesn't hand out awards to people who just get fat.

I would hope that an Asuka singles match at Mania would be a good, back-and-forth match. Unfortunately, many people will say that she's being misused if she goes 50-50 with anyone. It's a shame. She's capable of having great matches, but people seem to want the best of both worlds: five star matches that make her look totally dominant.

Squared
    Probably the latter. Not sure she'd get a lot of time on the show and she could be added to the card easily with a squash.

As for Dana, did she put on weight or add muscle for a bodybuilding contest? She's certainly low down the list of priorities, but I think that is a shame.

Damn, simultaneous posting.

@lopprimetime

The Brain
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post
    I would hope that an Asuka singles match at Mania would be a good, back-and-forth match. Unfortunately, many people will say that she's being misused if she goes 50-50 with anyone. It's a shame. She's capable of having great matches, but people seem to want the best of both worlds: five star matches that make her look totally dominant.
    I don't think that's necessarily true. If she had a competitive match with someone who has been pushed as on the top of the division, like Charlotte for instance, I don't think anyone would complain at all. But Dana, right or wrong, just hasn't been presented as a threat so it'd be weird for her to give someone as pushed as Asuka a lot of trouble. Same goes for Emma, I love Emma but she wasn't presented as a credible threat for quite a while, so when she was super competitive it was weird.

The problem is they stop and start with so many of the girls, its hard to find someone you can give Asuka where the other can afford a tough loss.. its why giving her jobbers and building up someone is a good thing..

I'm a fan of Paige however i haven't really enjoyed her return and so for Paige/Asuka to be that match.. i'm not that excited. Think Charlotte or Sasha would produce a way better Asuka match.

Squared
    Most of the stuff I have seen about this angle is pretty negative. I get the feeling they've tried to be too clever with this and it's going to backfire. Just hope it doesn't damage Asuka too much and wreck the long run of good work.

@lopprimetime

Squared
    Too clever in as much as people like seeing Asuka beat people, so it's easy to just keep her strong for now. Bringing in another group, putting them up against her, and trying to build them while keeping her where she is, is the trying to be too clever.

@lopprimetime

The Brain
    Oh sure, you can't push Asuka as unstoppable while also making Paige and her goons to be a threat. Back in the day this feud would be filled with no contests, but nowadays fans won't stand for much of that, so I agree they put themselves in a corner almost right away.

What is the over/under on the amount of eliminations she gets at the Royal Rumble? I'd have at least 7.

At least one by hip attack elimination and one kicked over the too rope.

It all depends on if Nia doesn't win, then Nia gets the 7-10 eliminations, like Kane.

If Nia wins, then Asuka gets the eliminations.

Damn I didn't even think of that. Maybe they could go 15/14 each.

I think you mean 9-10 each, as there are only 20 women.

Oh, I didn't realise they had announced that. I'm kind of glad to be honest otherwise they would have really been stretching their talent pool thin.

I'm actually genuinely excited to see how it pans out.

I'd still say Asuka will get at least 5 eliminations.

They didn't announce anything yet, but there are 22 women combined on the roster, so 20 women plus 2 champs who won;t be competing.

But they could bring the total up to 25ish if they have some surprise entrants...i.e. Lita, Trish, Kharma, Ivory

I may have said it before, but Asuka has the bast smile of all of women in the WWE, and maybe entertainment.

She has two very distinct smiles, the genuine smile, and the smile with those evil, devious eyes. Both are just absolutely gorgeous.

So what do we think, still the favourite to win?

I have started to wonder if she doesn't need to because she has kind of already started a program against Alexa so has a reason to be the contender for the belt without even having to win the Rumble.

Also to what Powder said, I agree, her face really lights up when she smiles. Overall she is one of the most expressive wrestlers on the female roster, right up there with Alexa.

Squared
    I guess it's too late for me to say yes, she is still the favourite, eh?

I suppose the real question now is whether or not her streak pulls on through Wrestlemania and beyond, or not.

@lopprimetime

The Brain
    It can and should go on as long as people are digging it, and so far it seems like most people are still. If someone is making a clear case to be hot enough to break it then fair enough, but I don't see anyone like that now.

I willingly toss my name in the hat to eat a loss to her to add to her streak- she can submit me anytime.

The Brain
    Hard to hold an erection with a cracked skull, Kleck.

Squared
    In this case he isn't the only one willing to give it a go...

@lopprimetime

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    Hard to hold an erection with a cracked skull, Kleck.
    That sounds like a challenge lol

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    I suppose the real question now is whether or not her streak pulls on through Wrestlemania and beyond, or not.
    I think it has to. And if they play it like they did in NXT they can flip her and turn her heel, or heelish, when it starts to tire a bit and then you get a new lease of life.

My only issue with it is that part of the way it worked on NXT was that she had one 'premier' match every 2/3 months. Now she's on the main roster she's going to be expected to have 10+ a year on PPV and appear on TV every week. I feel like that makes a really long reign, and undefeated streak, difficult to do when she's champ, because the women's roster is so small. I mean, the last two weeks we've seen a match with Sasha and a match with Bayley that she's won pretty comfortably. There's not going to be this great well of talent for her to compete with over successive months.

Squared
    If they are going to do it, she absolutely has to be the kind of champion who basically wrestles the top contenders when she needs to defend the belt, and then features in tags or 'tune-up' matches against enhancement talent or the lower echelons of the roster for the rest of the time. As you say, if they book her in singles every week and keep her undefeated she'll have run through the lot by Wrestlemania anyway. Hold off and do it as champion and she'll be out of challengers by the end of May. They'd certainly have to be more canny.

@lopprimetime