Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Empress of Tomorrow- Asuka

The Empress of Tomorrow- Asuka

Figured since Asuka was about to debut on the Main Roster it was time she got her own thread. Let's start it with a question shall we?

Obviously at TLC, Asuka will remain undefeated and probably put quite the beating on poor Emma. I mean there's no way she loses her debut match.

So.........who ultimately beats her and when?

Personally I want to see an Asuka/Charlotte match but that's across brands so that's out. I personally don't see Asuka losing until after she takes the Raw Women's Title, and even then I'm hard-pressed to think anyone on the Raw roster can beat her.

Who's going to take down the 'Undefeated' Empress of Tomorrow? Knowing WWE probably Alisha Fox on a random RAW.

Rousey.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    Rousey.
    Bite your hipster tongue!

Tyler Breeze in drag.

The Brain
    How awesome would it be if Asuka beat everyone on the main roster, only for Ember Moon to finally be called up and finally get that win? I don't even necessarily love Ember Moon on that level (though I do think she's very good with a lot of upside), but the story value alone would be really appealing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    How awesome would it be if Asuka beat everyone on the main roster, only for Ember Moon to finally be called up and finally get that win? I don't even necessarily love Ember Moon on that level (though I do think she's very good with a lot of upside), but the story value alone would be really appealing to me.
    That is too Goldbergy, and the WWE just did an undefeated/unpinned/never lost a singles match streak with Rusev and look where that got him. A loss to Cena at Mania and basically nothing since.

Now I am not saying that Asuka should lose anytime soon, but she she get a loss in her first 6 months even if it is not by a clean pin. Any dastardly heel tactic will do. But she should earn her spot by beating the undercard like Emma, Fox, Bailey, and now Sasha to build her up. Have the Rumble feud be between Bliss and Jax, and give Jax the title there to set up the Jax/Asuka match at Mania.

The Brain
    I don't think it has anything to do with whether Asuka has a winning streak or not, if WWE wants to fuck her up they'll do it regardless. Plus, with Rusev he was very hot before the Cena loss, and probably would have stayed hot if they didn't start treating him like shit.

Super Moderator
    I know you're all going to hate it...but there's something to be said for Asuka losing on day one. Boom, she loses and the streak is broken. Emma is made (as she should be, she's one of the better workers in the division) and now we get the story of how Asuka will recover. Where does she go from there? Is she a baby or a heel? Does she crumble, or does it make her more driven? Was she all hype in the "little leagues", or can she dominate the big time?

The Brain
    Hmm, I can see some value to that but I'm not sure it works in execution. It would require really delicate handling, and is WWE really up to the task? You run the risk of making her seem like a joke on day 1.

I mean, you could do it. Where's Dana Brooke at? Can we get Dana and Emma back together and Dana's interference cost Asuka? Would be a curious way to go.

Squared
    I don't hate the idea at all, and well executed it could be the best way you could go. Gets over the hump of you finally beat her right away and handled right would give her a real dilemma to wrestle (NPI) with straight off the bat.

But like Mizfan, I don't have enough faith in them to pull off a story like that. It's the kind of thing that could have worked better years ago, when they would have told a lot more of the story through pre-recorded segments. Whenever they try and do that kind of complexity through those corny backstage vignettes it always lacks conviction.

The Brain
    Ideally I think I'd like to see Asuka run with the streak a bit longer. My personal pick to break the streak would be Charlotte, but I know some aren't big on her. If they hadn't ruined Bayley so completely, she might be a prospect. If people are still excited about Sasha, it could be a cool story for her.

Squared
    I'm catching up quite quickly but where I am, I'm not sure there's anyone who's cooled off as badly as Charlotte. I guess she could pick back up again by the time I get fully caught up but she's treading water through the summer and you could put almost anyone in at the same spot. Of course, the fact that she's pretty huge compared to a lot of the others, and carries that Flair aura, will always count for something.

For my money, I'd be damn sure who I knew I wanted to run with, and have it be them, at Wrestlemania. It's kind of a once in a lifetime thing at this point.

The Brain
    I guess my counter to that is to ask, is there anyone who isn't cooled off? I hear some good things about Alexa Bliss but she seems like a poor fit. Working with what's available, I think building Charlotte back up is the best option.

Squared
    I mean, I don't know. I'm less keen on Charlotte than most of the others, if I'm honest... and I think judging by reactions that she's got fewer supporters than Sasha, Bayley, Becky, and maybe some others. If push comes to shove I sort of feel like she has been more found out than some of the others.

You're right about Bliss, she's a poor fit. It really shouldn't be a heel unless they're going to cheat like crazy.... and I dunno, its less satisfying somehow then doing it clean, with a babyface push coming out of it.

Right now I might finally have a run with Becky Lynch, but between now and then that could change around massively. Someone needs to step up and make it clear it should be them before I'd pull the trigger on it.

But yeah, Edge is on the record as not a fan. Won't mean anything by itself but if dissenting opinions start to pick up she may find her stock falls.

The Brain
    Edge is not a fan of Asuka? Or of Charlotte? Either way, even though I like Edge I'm not convinced he's got a lot of room to talk on this one.

Squared
    Ha, of Asuka. Said he 'doesn't get the hype.' I didn't get his hype until 2006, though, so it is what it is.

The Brain
    I was gonna say! I'm not sure there's ever been a major WWE guy farther away from the traditional Japanese style than Edge, so maybe that's not surprising.

Squared
    She's also one of only two women who I've heard called 'possibly the best technician male or female on the roster', so even if E&C don't see it, there's plenty of vets backstage who do get it.

I could see Asuka chasing the title with the payoff at 'Mania being a decent part of the undercard.

@lopprimetime

Squared
    So looks like Paige next for Asuka. It might have been a really interesting way of bringing her back and reestablishing her but I imagine Paige is too much of a risk in their minds for that. I expect Asuka to go over fairly strong here.

@lopprimetime

No way. With Paige now leading the Absolution I see Asuka keeping her undefeated streak, but getting DQ wins over Paige when the faction interferes.

Squared
    Mistake if they do that. Asuka basically needs to keep on winning and clearly winning at that until they're ready to have her lose. That's about the size of it, or you risk cooling her off.

@lopprimetime

But how can you give the Absolution any credibility if they are just fodder for Asuka?

Paige loses her impact, and Sonya Deville and Mandy Rose will be just the latest women tossed aside. This faction should be kept strong and allowed to win on their own. Feed everyone else to Asuka but hold off on the Absolution 3 to keep establish them.

Squared
    You can't, which is why if they're trying to establish both it's a dumbass move to put the two together. But it'd be nearly as bad to risk squandering what they have with Asuka to try and get the others over, when they probably don't get to where she's at now, anyway. I've got no problem with a faction becoming strong and they should be booked that way as newcomers but if you want to do that they should keep them as far away from Asuka as they can in the short term.

Of course, if the decision is to run with Paige as the one to beat her, interference and all that jazz, well that's a different kettle of fish entirely. But it's a very gutsy call after the past three years. But trying to have your cake and eat it here is almost certainly doomed to fail one, if not both, of your talent.

@lopprimetime

No doubt. I agree that Paige and Asuka should be kept apart. BUT you could have them face off at the Women's Rumble where the Absolution as a trio eliminate Asuka to set up a Mania match between them.

That way you could keep Asuka away from the Women's Title for a few more months, and I would have Nia Jax win the Women's Rumble (as she should) to face Bliss at Mania.

Then after Mania you could set up Jax vs Asuka for SummerSlam.

Squared
    Is the women's rumble thing definitely happening, then? That could be a very good spot for this sort of thing, as you say.

@lopprimetime

All reports are saying that a Women's Rumble is happening, which is why the WWE brought Paige back and the 5 NXT call ups to have more women on the roster. Including both RAW and Smackdown, there are now 22 women on the main rosters, so a Women's rumble is now possible excluding Bliss and Charlotte.

Powder's got what I'd go for and what I was coming down to post, pretty much - if they do a Paige vs Asuka match now, it's a no win situation. If they build to it, even bait and switch it at some point in time, having no match due to a beat down by the cronies, I think they'll be fine.

My issue is that if they want to establish Deville and Rose as well as reestablish Paige, the first two won't benefit from being Asuka fodder, as Prime points out.

Part of the issue with Asuka is that if they want her to be a focus of TV for an extended period, she's going to run through competition quickly. I mean, there are 10 other women on the Raw roster and she's already defeated one of them handily twice. Not to mention she beat Emma who then immediately was shown the door. Three of those women are trying to establish themselves as a functional unit so you don't want them taking losses to Asuka, so that cuts your options of opponents for her to beat to six. One of those is champion - you're down to five. So you're left with Alicia Fox, Bayley, Mickie James, Nia Jax, and Sasha Banks. I'd say two of those (Alicia and Mickie) could take losses without it really being an issue or deserving of a reasonable build (although I'd love to see them redo Asuka vs Mickie, because I thought their work was pretty good before) and also not needing to have some point in the future where you run them as challengers to Asuka as champion.

So they're in a bit of a catch 22 with Asuka, I think. You can run her against local talent for a while, for sure, but I think the crowd ideally wants to see her challenged already, not least when you factor in the NXT history.

What do you do with her on Raw on a weekly basis? I don't think they had this issue on NXT, because she'd only appear once or twice per set of tapings. Plus, the talent pool there was at least a bit deeper, even if it was a group of women who were largely working house shows. But on Raw, if she's wrestling every Monday, she's going to run through people fast without them using local talent against her.

Squared
    All the more reason to move away from seeing the same people wrestle, every week. The same principle holds for the men, it's just less obvious because there are more of them around. Stretch Asuka's opponents out, so that when you do see her it feels like something of an event in itself.

@lopprimetime

Samuel Plan
    This whole problem is indicative, once again, as to why (in my mind) one hour a week is the Holy Grail of televised wrestling product. It naturally lends greater longevity and life to everything; characters, storylines, the popularity of performers. One hour a week was kind to Asuka in NXT, and kind to the product she was involved in. It stretched Asuka's opponents out without even trying. Being a stretched out part of an over-long three hour weekly product instead is much the opposite.
    101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die: The Book is now available to buy on Amazon UK, Amazon US and Amazon Europe! Just search for "101 WWE Matches" and it'll pop up!

~ Samuel Plan

Squared
    You'll get no argument from me on that.

@lopprimetime

Super Moderator
    Why not just give Auska jobbers to kill? It worked for Braun, it worked for Ryback, and it keeps her on TV.

One hour of TV per week can be helpful, but after reading the next month of NXT spoilers, I can tell you that there are some people who desperately needed some follow up coming out of War Games that won't be around for the next month, because there's no time with a new Champion and the guy who would have been up for a rematch out injured.

Let her kill some jabronis for a while while you re-establish Paige and her group against the name talent and get her moves over, then move her into an actual program. Hell, chuck Mandy Rose in there with her and let her get merc'd, maybe with a non-finish thing, just to get over that the new heels are avoiding her because she's a killer.

I don't know why you can't book a match for Asuka against Sasha and really build it up without having them wrestle every week.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post
    Why not just give Auska jobbers to kill? It worked for Braun, it worked for Ryback, and it keeps her on TV.
    I think you can, and I would have done it. But then again I wouldn't have had her two Emma matches be anywhere near as competitive as they were to start her main roster run. I'd have done the two Dana matches as the two Emma matches (even with Emma in them) and then continued to run her, weekly, against scrubs. You can even have her getting beaten down or stared down after matches against scrubs, if they then want to build a Rumble feud for her, but week on week you don't want to be putting her in the ring with rostered talent, in my opinion.

Squared
    I kinda feel for Dana. Promoting her so early did her no favours and now she suffers the record clean loss and record submission loss. And I have no confidence they've got something planned for her to make it all worthwhile either.

Anyway, some speculation we won't get Asuka and Paige until Wrestlemania, though it seems a long way off.

@lopprimetime

The Brain
    Hey, somebody has got to do the jobs. How big do we think Dana could have really been? There are worse things to be than Steve Lombardi.

Squared
    Honestly, in NXT I thought her heel character work was awesome. Genuinely needled me, so when someone plays like that and has the physique to be credible... I guess I am disappointed that she became a jobber rather than being allowed to develop or fail first. Though I guess that's more of a subject for a Dana thread.

@lopprimetime

Super Moderator
    She could have been a lot bigger, actually. There's a ton of potential crossover there with her involvement in the bodybuilding world, the fact that she's not rail thin could have made her a great role model for little girls.

And, I'm gonna say it...I like her better than Sasha. The only thing that Sasha has over anyone else is that she's willing to take stupid bumps. There's not a worker that I know that praises her work, and I find her to often be quite clunky or overly ambitious and trying things that are outside of her physical capabilities.

I just think either Dana doesn't work that hard or Vince doesn't like her. I mean if you've watched her on the main roster, she gained weight and was barely used after Charlotte dropped her and with Paige back and her two lackeys, Dana is low on the totem pole of priority.

Which is why i'm confused people don't get sent back to NXT

As for Asuka, do you think if Asuka does have a singles match at Mania, it will one of her best matches? Or an extended squash.