Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Review This Song

Did Prime just posted Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea? that's the grandfather of all indie lo-fi albums. Great stuff.

I giorni - Ludovico Einaudi is fantastic.
    And Jacob wrestled with God.

I will post something a bit more weird, a bit more grating on the ears but if you will to really sit down and immerse yourself in the story telling, the lyrics, the story, you will get it. I got chills, and was sweating at the end of it. It's emotional for me, particularly thinking about the situation that unfolded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aG4WCSEsjHM --> King's Park by La Dispute.

Wow, that was one intense but very finely constructed song. I'm so glad you said to read the lyrics because they do tell just a heartbreaking song of grief on all sides and how these terrible acts no only effect the victim but can truly destroy the perpetrator.

I loved the music and vocal intensity progression too, separated from the lyrics it could be seen as disjointed but I love how it starts off super intense, to match the initial intensity of the shooting scene. Then as the lyrics take a more observant perspective the music dials back and slowly builds untill the crescendo and climax of the song, a guteral scream "will I go to heaven if I kill myself, can I ever be forgiven because I killed this kid".

The ending is left ambiguous which I guess is an artistic choice but damn I want to know what happens next.

I haven't done many ratings here because rating art always sits in a funny way with me but if I had to this would get 5/5 stars. Just an awesome song. Thanks for sharing I would probably have never heard this otherwise.

Because you did a song with such a great story I'm gona put one of my favourite 'story songs' in too. It is actually a cover of a song by an Aboriginal song writer Kev Carmody, the lyrics are all his and from his life but I like the cover arrangement better by three fairly well know and very well respected individual artists.

Droving Woman by Glenn Richards, Paul Kelly & Missy Higgins: https://youtu.be/xSLdcc7jf3I

This is one you should keep the lyrics open for. Far softer than the last one but no less impactful also gives me goosebumps but for different reasons.
    Last edited by SirSam; 01-01-2018 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Added rating

Late As Usual

Follow me on Twitter - Sir_Samuel

Damn the link is not available to Singapore, I would need to go Google it later, Glad u liked King Park.

Edit: wow I never knew a song about felling off a horse can be so moving. And the lyrics are the saddest but the music is country and upbeat. The style could not be further from Ling Park but that’s the beauty of music - I myself listen to a lot of genres, and this sits at home in my heart. Nice story , good Musicianship. One thing about this is that I grew up in a single parent families as my dad passed due to cancer when I was seven, so the poor woman having lost her Husband is a relatable story. Great song Sam, happy to see that you are open minded for different styles and moods. I have more to share, even foreign songs as I am Chinese and I think we have some of the most poetic lyrics in song writing. Stay tuned.
    Last edited by JacobWrestledGod; 01-02-2018 at 09:05 AM.

I listened to King Park as well, and yeah, it was an intense and interesting listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9W31xp2B8o

The video is whack but I like a bit of DnB.

Squared
    I wouldn't normally reply but it's been a bit quiet in here. Not my thing at all. Sounded like they'dd taken everything that made eighties music what it was and decided to go about ruining it in the most economical way possible.

Let's see if I can not kill the thread this time.... a song I first heard on the FIFA 11 soundtrack.

NO The thread WILL NOT be killed again!

Thanks for posting though Prime Time, I really enjoyed this song. The intro instrumentation reminded me of Wake Up by Arcade Fire which is one of my favourite songs of all time - that same chunky disjointed guitar riff. I can't say I loved the vocal delivery during the intial verse but once he opened up in the second voice I really liked the tone of it. I did find the lyrics interesting too I'm guessing it is about getting out of a relationship but was also sensing something about coming out of the closet too:
    "How many of our dark secrets are told
    Under the covers of sheets and bedrolls
    When all of our fantasies can unfold
    While the rest of the world's slumbering
    Down on my bended knees and elbows
    Chewing over that sweetness I know"

Haven't ever heard the song before so I'm not sure if that was what was indended or not but I kind of got hints in it.

The highlight was the guitar solo though, came in really naturally and worked so well with the guitar riff and ending. Was short and sweet too, didn't stick around too long, just enough to YEP I'm here.

As I was listening to it on Spotify it went to their second most listened to track Sweet Flower which was also pretty cool.

For my pick I'm gona dial things back a bit and put forward one of my favourite songs from the last 10 years Yellow Brick Road by Angus & Julia Stone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHKSqUtrNfw

They are a brother and sister folk duo and this is from their 2010 album Down the Way which has become a little bit of an Aussie classic in its own right. Not sure how well they are known outside of Australia but I really enjoy a number of their songs, this one in particular.
    Last edited by SirSam; 01-06-2018 at 07:58 AM.

Late As Usual

Not really my thing. It's ok I guess but the guitar is pretty lame and generally theres not a great deal that interests me about it. The lyrics are probably the best thing about the song but it feels like a chore listening to them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWeK1G9SJoY

Squared
    Fuck me, talk about a chore listening to them. That is literally every bad metal cliche in the book, right there. That's all I can offer in the way of a review.

Going to carry on with some of the more obscure things that I've picked up from soundtracks and the like. This one came from the EA Rugby 2006 soundtrack. I think it'll probably be new to most people. British band, called Amusement Parks on Fire, from the East Midlands. Probably the best way to describe them is as a louder, more arty take on Indie rock, and in some ways it's more reminiscent of that older more rock n' roll style of Indie than the radio friendly stuff that has come to dominate.

Nope didn't like it. Felt like absolutely nothing happened for the entire song. Why do so many people like indie these days?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPaQj5MyLk0

Squared
    Really? I get not liking it but surprised at nothing going on. I grant that it's kinda subtle but there's a million things happening in that guitar line. Maybe it's one that you have to know a bit of theory then. And it's not indie, really. Related, sure, but to translate that to metal it's like calling Limp Bizkit grindcore!

Yours sounds pretty good from the first few bars but spotted it is eight minutes so will need to come back to that when I get more time. If someone wants to jump in on it in the meantime, be my guest.

I'm not listening to it again, I listened to the whole song once and that'll do. I've heard worse, definitely, but it just wasn't my thing. Didn't like the guitar solo either. Turn the bloody distortion on!! lol (or at least a bit of crunchy overdrive or something...)

If you didn't like AxCx what do you think/have you heard of Pig Destroyer? Or do you just not like Grindcore entirely? I remember the first time I heard AxCx and I had pretty much the same reaction you did, but they grew on me.

Also, do me a favor please and post links instead of embed. I said it on the other page, I like this thread but my laptops really bad and can't handle more than a few videos on a page.

Squared
    I figured that there's less distortion on the solo because there's so much distortion on the main riffs. Having it there too would be overkill.

My take on grindcore is the same as my take on pretty much all metal. I'm a fan of the genre, but only when it's really about producing music. When it becomes posturing to see how heavy you can be, it's not interesting to me, and I've spent enough time around musicians and fans of the genre to have a pretty decent feel when they're actually just trying to show off in a weird way. And I don't like a lot of stuff because it sounds.... I dunno, a bit like painting by numbers, I guess. The Pig Destroyer stuff I've heard falls into that camp. It's so mind-numbingly predictable. It's just, like, give me as much as one note that I didn't know you were going to play next.

You get someone doing something new, something that can actually surprise me, and I'll give it all the time in the world. But sadly that's been few and far between for well over a decade in rock music now. Except Indie, funnily enough, because although there's a lot of boring shit there it's also been a really diverse genre. It's not even really a coherent genre, to be honest.

Didn't read through the end of the previous page. Will see what I can do, though I've had a problem with posting links to images and videos lately. They've been disappearing or linking off to nothing. If I can't get it to work that way then I'll have to go back to this. But then, I'm not posting that many videos per page anyway so hopefully it shouldn't be a problem, unless other people have the same issue.

Hey Prime, that last song you posted gave me major flashbacks, I had Rugby 2006 and played a stupid amount of it so I heard this song WAAYY too many times. Honestly it is a bit of a mess the whole mix is a little too messy for my liking and the singer borders a little too much on whinny. Still there is something I like about it, probably just becuase it is seared into my grey matter form playing that game so many times. I'd give it a 3/5 stars

I don't think The Dude likes our songs very much Prime.lol

As for Dude's (look at that two reviews in one - mainly becuase The Dude's line wasn't a review at all, you can do better mate).

The guitar solo to start was great, I'm a big fan of when metal bands do a long intro taking advantage of their duel guitars, kind of like Fade to Black, One or The Day That Never Comes by Metalica, make their song seem so much more epic when they start like this and build to a cresschendo.

Really like the singer, he kind of reminded me of the lead singer of Distrubted in The Sound of Silence, deep and very resonate voice that just seems to have natural vibrato.

I will say this find feel like a knock of one of the aforementioned Metallica songs, I still really dug it but it kind of followed that template. 3.5/5 stars and it made my 2015 favs list.

Next song: So Now What by The Shins: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7-DjDF1MRM

Late As Usual

Prime was talking about metal musicians constantly trying to be more heavy, that's kind of the point of metal. Metallica set out to be the heaviest, Megadeth set out to be faster (Dave Mustaine says so in his autobiography) and so on and so on until we all die. It's evolution (except in metal).

Sam, it's too soft but in a bad way, I've got a great song to post later that's possibly the softest song ever and it's a billion times better. The vocals were god awful, sounded like a really fucking gay guy (sorry, I'm NOT actually homophobic, it was kind of a joke). It uses bland and boring chords (yes you can say the same about punk/metal overuse of powerchords but barre chords/open chords are even more lame if you ask me, at least powerchords can be moved around quickly to create something interesting).

It reminds me of a John Lennon (who I like some of his stuff) song, could even possibly be a rip off the vocals sound so similar.

2/5

So here's my favorite Pantera song. I don't like Phil Anselmo's politics but I love the music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1JqDNJS9r8
    Last edited by The Dude; 01-09-2018 at 07:45 AM.

Squared
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Prime was talking about metal musicians constantly trying to be more heavy, that's kind of the point of metal. [/URL]
    Well then, just put the microphone next to a pneumatic drill and record that. It's over then and whoever does it first wins.

I'm interested in music. In metal there has been some good music. But I'm not interested in that kind of posing. Faster isn't necessarily better, heavier isn't necessarily better, and the attitude that it is usually leads to people producing crap. That's doubly true when faster and heavier are done for their own sake rather than for some sort of larger musical end. There's a reason people still think Hendrix is better than most of the thousands of people who play guitar faster than him, y'know.

Dude got there first on The Shins. I bought their first two albums, used to really like them. There's still something there but it's not the same as it was. Still some interesting stuff going on beneath the surface, even if the real.... drive, for the lack of a better word, isn't really there anymore.

There's a handful of Hendrix songs I absolutely love, Castles made of sand, Little Wing, Hey joe and All along the Watchtower but he also did some shitty songs. Voodo Chile fucking stinks, and I can't stand Purple Haze (If you play guitar I'm sure you know THAT Hendrix chord... Nice chord, but I don't like the song much) or Foxy Lady.

If you're talking heavy as in de-tuning the guitar until the strings fall off, using a 9 string or something equally as retarded you're completely right. However, I don't believe you need to do that to be heavy at all. It's the way you play, the scales and keys you use. Cannibal Corpse's earlier stuff is still probably the heaviest shit out there and they didn't de-tune all that much... but they knew enough about their instruments to make it heavy as fuck... same as Slayer (E flat or D sharp).

Squared
    What I'm actually talking about is two things. One is that kind of thing that's basically just a wall of noise. Y'know, the first people to do that could technically have been said to have been pushing the boundaries, but after decades of it that shit is just old and long since passed pointlessness. And the other thing is that a huge amount of stuff at the heavier end is basically the same thing played over, and over, and over again, with only the slightest variation, and we've all heard the same variations before. There's no actual artistry going on in a lot of it.

You're work in the thread is going up, though. These previous comments on metal don't apply to Pantera, who produced some good stuff, and that's a decent song. The last two from you have been pretty good, IMHO.

Anyway, leaving this stuff about metal and indie behind, here's a bit of straight uncomplicated rock n' roll from Canada. Might be more Sam's jam than yours, Dude, but whatever. Hope this link works now....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmWXRqkaq1c

Too happy... I don't do happy. Only kidding, it was kind of ok I guess just yet again not really my thing. So far, the best thing anyone else has posted in this thread was the dude playing classical piano (which was awesome). Oh yeah, Kings Park was good as well, forgot about that.

It's hard to explain why, but it just seemed really boring to me. My ear for music isn't very good (which doesn't help my guitar playing) so I can't quite figure out why. It's the same as a lot of the songs you've posted Prime. If I was to hazard a guess I'd say too many of them use too many barre/open chords and the singers don't have much range.

Anyway, here's Down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kdnki7XBzPE

Squared
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    My ear for music isn't very good (which doesn't help my guitar playing) so I can't quite figure out why. It's the same as a lot of the songs you've posted Prime. If I was to hazard a guess I'd say too many of them use too many barre/open chords and the singers don't have much range.
    Most of what I have posted is fairly straightforward, unapologetic rock and roll. But what you're going to find with me is that I don't really like virtuoso when it's done for it's own sake. Don't mind people breaking out the difficult stuff or using their full vocal range when it's part of a more coherent whole, but when it's done for it's own sake it's more about ego than music and I just don't see the point. Y'know, you can write a great piece of music with one acoustic guitar and three major chords. You can play a million notes in a jazzy scale and it can be unlistenable. It's all about the how and why for me and what I'll post will probably always reflect that.

Guess you're not a fan of yngwie malmsteen then. To be honest, neither am I, although I do have one of his albums as I was curious as to why he was apparently so good. I like technical/virtuoso stuff like ...and justice by Metallica and am a fan of Dime and Zakk's work but malmsteen is just robotic, boring and playing without soul or emotion.

It's not just guitar either, I hated Marshall Mathers LP 2 because Eminem put none of the energy or anger into it he had on previous records. It sucked ass, and Rap God just proved how bloated and egotistical he's become. Instead of the once great rapper I knew, he's just a soulless money making exercise.

Squared
    Just to quickly cover your link, it's a mixed bag. I think the quickest and easiest way to describe it is if I were still in my band days and one of the guys came in with that, I would have probably said something like great idea, but the chorus needs work. It's interesting but that section comes around a few times and lets the rest of it down. I know they are a supergroup so it's a little strange that they don't sound more coherent in that section.

But you are right, I don't like Malmsteen at all.

I only really like Rap when it's political. When it started getting away from that it lost something for me.

Alright, maybe this could be more up your street than what I usually post.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wVjdMLAMbM0

Heard of this guy before. Yes, that's much more what I'm into. I got bored after a while though. Good, but not enough flavor of things happening in the song. Just one long as blues solo and dull vocals. Sure, I'm been slightly over critical, as I'd listen to this 20x or so before I listen to some of those other posts. Probably about 4/5 or 7.9/10 or something.

MOAR METAL!!1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InRMwptcgAo

Only just heard of these guys (and girl) a couple of months ago. Feel like I've been missing out.

Squared
    I mean I actually feel that way about Stevie myself sometimes. The truth is that while I would love to be able to play like him, I never wanted to make music the way he did. I don't think musically it's as good as some of the other stuff I have shared, but instrumentally it's more impressive than most stuff you will come across.

Not really able to check out the most recent link so if anyone wants to jump in on it in the meantime, go right ahead.

What kind of music would/do you want to make? If I knew more scales I'd make the ugliest shit possible.

I only know the pentatonics, natural and harmonic minor and the major scale. It drives me (even more) insane trying to figure out groups of notes that actually sound "metal" and it's fucking irritating to fuck.

To be honest, my guitar teacher said it's basically the best thing I know, I've mapped the scales in different keys all over the fretboard.... BUT my timing is dreadful which of course is really important, so I'm probably never going to do very well in a band if I ever get into one.

Squared
    I don't know if I can answer the first question in words because I have never had to. At the time I was in heavy rock/metal bands, but my biggest personal influence in all I wrote was probably Pink Floyd. So combine that, and take it for what you will.

As a guitar player, what really opens your horizon is the modes. Ionian and Dorian are the big two but if you can break out into shit like the mixolydian, you start to sound like something out of the ordinary. Though personally I am a blues/pentatonic man who only throws the other stuff in on rare occasions. People said I sounded like a mix of Hendrix and Slash (only much worse, but generally they were nice enough not to add that), but the emphasis was always on the Hendrix, bluesy angle.

And yeah, if you are going to play in a band, timing is everything. Even if you are playing lead, you need to be able to follow what everyone is doing to hit the right notes at the right time - doubly important when improvising.

I've always wanted to learn the Phrygian mode because I heard it gets used a lot in metal, but my theory is terrible. I don't really understand what I'm doing, it's more a series of patterns on the guitar I've learnt rather than actually understanding why it is that the notes together sound how they do.

I've played for long enough to make some kind of metal sounding stuff out of what I know, looking at tabs on the net for stuff like slipknot and metallica helped as they tend to make the sort of music I'd want to. A hell of a lot of the time it ends up sounding like f**king jazz though when I try and break into a solo.

Squared
    If it's sounds jazzy then you might be too much in the mode, rather than mixing phrygian notes in with other stuff, like the minor pentatonic. I only ever worked the modes into the more common rock scales rather than relying on them.

Alternatively I know people who swear by the phrygian dominant for metal, so if you haven't tried that variation it might be worth a go.

I meant I haven't learnt or been taught it. Sorry if I confused you.

Recently, because of the restrictions of the guitar I bought, I've been practicing rhythm more anyway. It's ok for blues but if you try and shred or even trill it's almost impossible. Also pinch harmonics don't work on the high e for some reason which is quite frustrating.

You can do a lot with pentatonics, there's a great video on youtube of Zakk Wylde using them exclusively to solo and it still sounds really good.