Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Review This Song

Review This Song

So kind of got this idea off the pick one game but it is a but if a spin off and hopefully an interesting way to listen to some new music.

The idea is you post a song and the person below listens to it then gives it a quick review.

I came to the pick one thread with the intention of hearing some new stuff and also finding out what other people think of some of the songs I like bit it turns out it is something different (but still cool).

So here goes, my favourite song right now: What Do I Do If The Fire Goes Out by Gang of Youths.

Review This Song.

Late As Usual

Follow me on Twitter - Sir_Samuel

Musically I really liked it. I've never listened to that band before so this was a first time experience. Lyrically it didn't do much for me, I found myself digging the beat more than anything. Without any other knowledge except for that song I feel like the singer probably doesn't have a lot of range, so to me the songs might all sound a little the same. Let me know if I'm correct on that or not. It wasn't bad at all. I give it a solid B-.

I kind of dig this thread, so I'll go next. One of my favorite bands is The Killers. One of the songs on their new album is called "Rut." Review this song!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_ANcJi8eBw

Last edited by TripleR; 10-16-2017 at 12:02 PM.

Squared
    Love the idea for the thread - but not able to review the song because I don't know it and the video has been taken down. So I'll bow out for a sec and leave this one for someone who has heard it, unless I find somewhere in the meantime.

The Killers did a song exploder podcast on Rut recently. I listen to that quite a lot, but hadn't grabbed this because I've just not listened to them in years, probably since Sam's Town. But I liked the song - it's a bit too glossy for me, and I don't really like the synths on it, but I like the bit where the music cuts out in the chorus. Quite a slow burner too. Apparently it's about his wife's PTSD.

As a song, it's not bad at all - very dramatic, which I quite like too. Probably say it was about a B, maybe a B+.

I'm going to try not to kill this thread early doors by picking something too out there/weird/mainstream pop, which seem to cover a lot of my bases. I've really dug on the Sorority Noise record that came out this year, and the lead off single and first track is probably my most listened to song of the year. So please review 'No Halo' by Sorority Noise!

Damn, that song was really good. I actually listened to the whole album afterwards. Good guitar line and high energy, the singer was melodic but still had some grit to him. I especially loved the doubled up screaming and singing in the chorus. Didn't get a whole lot out of the lyrics but they tend to be the kind of thing that reveal themselves over multiple listens.

Thanks for the song though, this is why I made the thread so I could find songs and bands I wouldn't have normally. Straight to my 2017 favs playlist.

Also to TripleR if you liked Gang of Youths but want a more lyrically complex song then I'd suggest either Magnolia or Let Me Down Easy.

Next up Red Eyes by War on Drugs

How about some Great Van Fleet?

Ergh where are all the metalheads when you need them? Checked out some of the stuff in this thread - not impressed :-(

Squared
    The reviewing aspect seems to have stopped. It's not a 'post a song' thread, you're supposed to review the one above first and then post your song.

I listened to the song above until he started singing. I'm not forcing myself to sit thru that for anyone. Sorry.

My review: He shouldn't have started singing. Sounded like he hadn't even hit puberty and was just God awful. The intro guitar wasn't bad though.
    Last edited by The Dude; 10-18-2017 at 09:42 AM.

Thanks Prime Time. I wanted to say something but sometimes still feel a bit too new around here to really tell people where to go.

Sorry our posts haven't been to your liking Dude, hopefully I can find something you might like a little more.

As for your song i really enjoyed it. Real slow but heavy groove. Loved the guitar tone and huge drums. It didn't try to overplay its hand sometimes I feel like metal bands try to do too much at once and it just blends into an ugly mud but I loved the slow pace of this song. Didn't get much from the lyrics but the vocalist added to the darkness of the groove. I'd give it a solid B.

Next song. A recent addition to my workout playlist.

Hook Line & Sinker by Royal Blood

Not bad except the singer. He sounded retarded. Edit: I'm responding to "Hook Line & Sinker by Royal Blood" by the way.

the riffs were very Black Sabbath (who I love). Kind of Queens of the stone Age except not as good, who were very definitely influenced by Sabbath.

(also, with the vid I posted, the lyrics were about him dealing with his own addiction problems, hence, the Lasting Dose).

I know this is going to throw people, but just listen to the emotion, ignore the fact it's a pop song. It's difficult, I know but this song is good to me at least.
    Last edited by The Dude; 10-18-2017 at 04:01 PM.

Say what you want about Nicki Minaj but when she wants to she can rap the shit out of a song. Even just the way she rhyms the syllables of the words she is using throughout each verse. I did get the emotion in the lyrics which were raw and damn well done but it wasn't helped by the fairly bland chorus melody and production behind it all which really could have used some strings or just something to enhance the really heartfelt lines. So Nicki Minaj gets a B+ everything else is a D.

Speaking of emotion, this is one of my fav songs of the last decade. It is called Get Better by Frank Turner and is from his album Positive Songs For Negative People. Let me know what you think.

Late As Usual

Squared
    This is probably my favourite song in the thread so far. I think it's got great verses there. The middle 8/chorus doesn't scan quite so well but on the whole that doesn't detract too much. In general I'd say the driving beat and guitars make up for a lot and there are some nice lyrical turns in the verses, so yeah, it's a thumbs up from me.

Interesting to see how this goes. I'm guessing either love or hate. Title track from the Texan band Young Heart Attack's 2004 album, Mouthful of Love.

I feel like this is what AC/DC would sound like if it came out today. Simply but punchy guitar riffs, both the singers have really good voices for rock music - lots of grit and sound like they are really belting it out with plenty of energy. Great bluesy guitar solo. Lyrics were nothing special just about how much they were gona rock but sometimes a kickass rock song doesn't need fancy lyrics, look at It's A Long Way To The Top.

Solid B, I'll be sure to check out more from these guys.

Next song, something of a modern Aussie classic: My Happiness by Powderfinger

Late As Usual

Squared
    Was hoping someone with a more positive spin would come along on this one as I don't like being that negative, but it's been quiet for five days so I'll get things moving again.

Honestly, not so keen on this one. Decent enough singer for Indie though nothing to write home about. But it feels predictable, and a bit turgid. I've got nothing against a slower song but it feels a bit devoid of energy to me, and there's nothing in here that I find that interesting or surprising. Bit surprised to see that it's considered something of a classic because in my opinion, it sounds like mid-album filler.

I'll stick with Aussie. I don't know if these guys are well-known or not either in Australia or elsewhere - no idea, really as to whether or not this something you'll all already know. But let's try and see.

Another song makes the favourite songs from this year list!

This is just a damn fun rock song, no two ways about it. Kind of like if AC/DC and Bruce Springsteen had a baby and it was a song. Lyrics didn't mean a whole lot but they were done in such an energetic way with jsut about the ideal rock voice - well defined but plenty of grit. I loved the piano and how it played off the guitar riff and then at the end the guitar solo came over and played against them both. Very cool little song I certainly hadn't heard before.

As for My Happiness, thinking about it now it is strange that it has become such a huge song for people who grew up in the mid 00s, the band are probably one of the top local bands for that period and just put out really consistent work. We had bands like Jet that blew up globally with one song or two but Powderfinger just kept producing album after album of really good music. Perhaps they removed from that context they just aren't as powerful or good.

As for my next pick: The Dead Heart by Midnight Oil. Aussie rock band from the 80's, the lead singer Peter Garrett actually became a member of parliament between 2004 and 2014. Let me know what you think of it?

Late As Usual

Squared
    I liked this more. That's not to say it isn't incredibly dated, because it's so 1980s sounding it actually hurts a little. But I don't really mind that. But there's a little bit of craftiness going on it, which makes it a bit less predictable in a few places. I think the big drawbacks are that although the lyrics sound like they have something to say, they could do with a bit of revision and smoothing them out a bit. And the voice isn't really for me. You've basically got to be writing songs at the Lou Reed level or above to get away with sounding like that! But yeah, I like it fine. There's a few memorable hooks in there.

Gone with rockier stuff in here so far so let's try something a bit different. If you're into your slightly obscure American independent stuff you'll probably know this already, but if not, check it out.

Squared
    It's looking like I have killed this so if anyone wants to post something new to get it rolling again, then go for it.

Thanks for bumping it, I actually really wanted to check out this song but just forgot it. They way you described it puts it right up my alley, I love these really lyrical indie bands, a bit of a whinny singer and some interesting musical notes like that trumpet, just really tickles me. This particular one sounds to me like if Sufjan Stevens tried to write and sing an Oasis song. I'll have to go back and read the lyrics but I really like the chord progression on the guitar and the trumpet that came in over it towards the end. Also dug the ambient noises, I think they were seaguls added in, kind of random but added to the atmosphere of the song.

I'll add on a similar but slightly newer one, This Year by the Mountain Goats. I love this band and this is probably my favourite song by them but I wish I could go and tell you to review the whole album Tallahase which is one of the few concept albums that I feel manage to strike the balance between telling a continuous story, incorporating similar themes, not making the whole thing one song and not just making it an exercise in how smart of a song writer the musician can be. So if you like this song and the way it tells a bit of a story then check out that album (This Year isn't from Tallahase).

Late As Usual

Squared
    I actually don't have a problem with concept albums that are one song. Thick as a Brick is a classic.

Having said that, this is probably my new favourite of the things I've discovered in the thread. It's subtle, it's clever, it's well put together so it scans well and it's never awkward without ever becoming trite. And that refrain in the chorus has a defiance that really must makes you wanna join in, doesn't it? Makes me want to check out the rest of the album, actually.

Right, so these guys were always popular in Britain across a range of different crowds but for some reason never really got much of an audience outside the UK. Became one of the bands all the big acts wanted to support them for a while there. Brits will know them I expect, and you might if you're into the 1990s.

Squared
    Ha, it seems I keep killing this.... again, if anyone wants to skip over this to get the thread going again, be my guest.

Is Ed Sheeran popular back home, Prime? I've been on such an Ed binge the past couple days. Certainly doesn't help that he is the Mrs favourite artist. And he may very well be on the way to being mine. But I'm not telling her that! Think he's a fantastic song writer. Anywho, as with the photos, not 100% sure about how to post a link for a video but will give it a try. The song I'm posting I think is the best one he has written and my favourite from his new album. Actually think it's a better written song than Thinking Out Loud which was a ridiculously popular song. So not sure why this hasn't caught on as much.

Last edited by Prime Time; 11-29-2017 at 07:09 AM.

Squared
    I fixed your link so the video shows now. Hope that's OK.

He is popular here, though kinda divisive too. When his album came out earlier this year it was EVERYWHERE, you literally couldn't avoid it on either TV or radio unless you listened to the classical music station.

I'm going to leave it alone and let someone else have a crack at this for two reasons. 1) My last two songs haven't really done that well in here so I figure it's best to see how someone else does, and 2) I am very, very much in the 'Sheeran is a boring tosser' camp and I don't want to listen to anymore of his shit than I've already had to....

Of course! What did I do wrong in it not showing properly?

Noooooo. Not you too! Planny hates him as well. Soooooo you two can't agree, so you'll have to budge! Lol.

Squared
    I'm not really sure what was wrong. I followed the link, copied it from there, and tried it using the video tag again, and it just worked. Your guess is as good as mine.

'Plan and I actually agree on most things, it's just when we disagree it tends to be a strong disagreement. But nah, it's so dull, and I've heard enough to know I don't like it at all (you can't help but hear pretty much everything here), so not budging on that one I'm afraid.

Well it was my first go at trying. Practice makes perfect I guess!

Well we can agree you're better than him you don't have to budge on that either.

Well I want to kick this back off because I've found a few really good song through it and want to keep spreading the love.

I figure I'll start with Perfect.

I actually like Ed Sheeran, more so his acoustic and raw stuff than his newer more highly produced stuff but anyone who is ugly and has a guitar but can still put out popular music these days must be doing something right and he is one awkward looking dude with a crappy looking guitar.

This is quite a nice ballad, I love the guitar archipelago and how it slowly builds up but avoids going too over the top and really pushing for a crescendo at the end, it just lets itself go out quietly which really suits the song well. The vocals are classic Sheeran, very high quality but with just a bit of edge and accent to them. In the land of perfect production it is cool that this song has come out and seemingly done quite well charts wise.

I wouldn't rate this as highly as some of the other ones by him I really like such as A-Team or I See Fire but this is a really cool little song.

Since you have put down a ballad I will put down my favourite ballad this year, Persevere by Gang of Youths, this one really also needs to have the lyrics open to get the full weight of it.

Late As Usual

Can we post lniks instead of embedding pretty please? It's just that my laptop is so bad it can't handle a handful of youtube vids on one page. That's why I can't post in the "What are you listening to" Thread. Also, I couldn't get the vid above to work.

Ask and you shall receive, same song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0eJ5ONsFbs

I honestly wouldn't even mind people just posting the song title and artist, with spotify just about everything it there anywhere.

Late As Usual

"This video is not available."

Crap. Oh well...

Ok attempt 3 (last try with this band): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLTO3U5644A

This is them doing a cover of a song called Blood.

Late As Usual

Ok it finally worked. Indie really isn't my thing. I'm guessing these guys are your favorite band as you've posted loads of there stuff. The piano was nice I guess but it was just like I find with most Indie, pretty bland and boring. D-

This is the best song these guys have done IMO. -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY-bbdhpjBk

Also I may have to give up on this thread as it took me 5 mins to load the goddamm page.

Man I dug that song. It has gone straight onto the gym playlist. Loved the guitar tone, oh so chunky and enough edge that I could tell it actually sounded like a guitar too. The vocal were really good too. The thing I dug most though was the pace, I dislike when metal just becomes about who can go fastest and I can't distinguish what is going on or get the feel of it. Anyway really likes this song and will be listening again.

Gang of Youths released probably my favourite album this year so sorry for the multi posts. Here is something that may be a hit more up your alley: https://youtu.be/NKupTHkz4d4

Shine On by Amity Affliction

Late As Usual

Miles better. dunno what I'd rank it but I definitely enjoyed it more. It's funny what you said about metal, because a lot of the time it's way heavier if it's slower.

Now for something completely different. The video is a bit shit but I like the song. I got this years ago but still listen to it loads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzgCkPDYE7s

Awwwww hell no. Not my thing. I don't mind rap but I think as an Australian I'm naturally disposed to dislike guys who big not me themselves and this guy certainly likes him a bit of himself. The production was nice, I liked the background synth and the best was pretty cool.

When it comes to hip hop I think I like it when the artist either has a story to tell or a strong point to make. I think it is a great energiser as well and can get really pumped up by the right rap song. I think part of it is that I don't love laid back rapping but prefer when the rapper is intense about it. As with all rules there are some exceptions but that is generally how it works out for me.

Probably my favourite rap song in recent years is this one: https://youtu.be/9gWPyYcD1pc

Long Loud Hours by Urthboy, based on the true story of John Killick and hi girlfriend Lucy Dudko

Um... He's the most down to earth, honest (to the point of talking about things you'd rather not hear) and always tells a story. At least it's not just bing and bitches like over half of the rappers now days. He's talking about cockroaches and the Devil instead. Anyway, you are of course entitled to your own opinion.

I liked the song you posted. Kind of odd in a way I cant quite put my finger on but definitely quite good. The chorus is nice as well, thought I'd mention that. I prefer my guy tho! :-D

Um.. Ok can't think of much but heres a song I love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xoda_ZlvPZM

Ok, I gave that one a second go based on what you said and listened with the lyrics. Glad I did. I think I heard the tone and then must have only half listened, now I've seen the lyrics it has a lot more depth than I thought, especially how he seems to be talking about how demonised drugs tend to be compared to other 'worse' crimes. Glad I gave that a second shot.

I'll check out your most recent post in a little unless someone else get to it first.

The only thing I dislike about Cas is he constantly talks about drugs. It's the life he's lived Dealer/Abuser etc but it can get boring even to me sometimes. There's a good one he did about the Tory party and how they're a bunch of assholes, which was different. He needs to branch out before it gets stale because theres only so many times you can hear a line about cocaine or marijuana.

That other song isn't rap or really even rock. It's really mellow. You might have heard it before I suppose.

So that was a new song for me and I really liked it, very much a classic Smashing Pumpkins song, they are a band I have always kinda liked but never really dug deep into.

The intro piano song was very nice and very moody and the songs really kicks up a gear when the vocals come in. I've always liked Billy Corgan's voice, it stands out and is very emotive. The little guiatar riffs that come after each of the lines in the first refrain really caught my ear..

When it finally comes in the guitar solo kicks ass but I don't like the tone, the used a little too screechy. I actually loved the really muted, almost uneffected guitar right in the middle of the ending piece when it goes quiet and before the final guitar solo kicks in.

Thanks for posting that one there Dude.

I'm gona go with something completely different, hopefully it doesn't kill the thread, one of my favourite instrumental pieces: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjD7q2m9Rgs

Late As Usual

Never heard of him before. Loved it. Nearly cried. Think I need a beer and it's not even 12pm.

Not sharing anything else just yet, can't think of anything after that.