Thread: The Concert Thread

Squared

The Concert Thread

Pretty much all of us have memories of great nights at concerts or festivals. So here we'll have a thread to discuss them - whether that's first, greatest, most recent you've been to, or things you have lined up.

I remember going as a teenager to a one day festival. Green Day were the headline act but Iggy Pop was on the bill so I got to start with a bit of a legend. He didn't put on much of a show unfortunately but it isn't every day you see someone with that kind of career.

Been able to see a lot of bands over the years so picking highlights is tough but a surprise one was The Datsuns at a festival. A lot more fun than I expected.

Share your own.

I'd go to a Dachshund Festival.

Coolest show I've seen was probably The Big 4 (Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax and Slayer) in California. That was just really special, especially since they only played two shows. Plus it was smack in the middle of a 5 day stay in Vegas, so that was really righteous.

Probably the most memorable show I've seen was Sevendust at a small-ish local club. I was right up on the stage and Lajon, the lead singer, actually threw the mic down for me to sing along to the chorus of my favorite of their tunes, Bitch. One of those "once in a lifetime" experiences.

CAKE put on a fucking fantastic show, it's worth mentioning, as do The Darkness, who I saw in Vegas at the House of Blues at Mandalay Bay. They fucking killed it.

Oh, and if you ever get a chance to go see Apocalyptica, do it. There's something just so incredibly awesome about seeing four dudes do the old school metal hair twirl while rocking the bejeezus out of cellos. Helluva show.

Squared
    I saw Metallica and Darkness at the same festival in 2003 (on the same bill, incidentally, as The Datsuns shot that I mentioned in the initial post). Darkness were at the height of their popularity here at the time so there was a real raucous atmosphere in the crowd, but they put on a good show.

Metallica, as you could imagine, were very slick - maybe even a little too slick, if anything. I can't say they didn't put on a great show, but compared with the freedom of some of the other bands, it was a little bit like I could have achieved the same effect by putting the CD on and turning the volume up really loud.

Was a bit of a who's who of the turn of the millennium that festival. System of a Down, Linkin Park, Blink 182, Good Charlotte, The Used.... think I stepped out for Good Charlotte but caught all the rest of them. Various degrees of quality, as you might imagine.

I've been fortunate enough to attend a lot of festivals and concerts over the years. My favourite single concert was Kings of Leon at Slane Castle. Unbelievably it was the same night as my beloved Manchester United were playing against Barcelona in the 2011 Champions League Final. Having been the one who organised TWO 24 16 seater buses to travel to Slane I manged to silence my incredibly loud and guilt ridden football fan inside and go on to enjoy what was an absolutely phenomenal day. Elbow supported them, so we made sure to make it in before they ended with One Day Like This. It was awesome.

As an individual moment though, the most awe inspiring musical intersect of my life was in a little tent at Oxegen in 2008 when MGMT played off their three hits back to back to back to a completely packed out audience. It was mental. Some clowns tried to climb the rig and the whole gig was stopped in it's track. Then the whole crowd just started singing the start of Kids until the band came out and revved it up again!

For nostalgia's sake, I found this...

Squared
    Ha, that's a cool story.

I saw Pearl Jam headline a festival once, and I think it must have been the start of the encore when Eddie Vedder came back on to the stage on his own and picked up a ukelele. Proceeded to play a one-man ukelele version of Black Sabbath's Iron Man. I won't pretend it was one of the best musical moments of my life but it was certainly entertaining. The whole thing was pretty great, though. Huge long set, double encore, even threw in their cover of Baba O'Riley.

I've seen Metallica a couple of times. Saw them this past summer with Volbeat and Avenged Sevenfold, then maybe ten years ago or so with Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park and Deftones.

Recently I caught Depeche Mode on their new tour. I'm a huge fan of their's and they were really exceptional. Super tight, great vocals, just an outstanding show.

Last concerts I saw were three of the Baker's Dozen shows by Phish at MSG this summer. They played 13 concerts in about 16 days at MSG and never played the same song twice.

The death of Tom Petty was more crushing than Bowie and Prince for me, but I was glad I got to see him multiple times. He used to tour Darien Lake (local venue at a theme park) almost every year in the mid-90s and 2000s.

Have you seen any artist that is no longer with us? I saw Stone Temple Pilots when they co-headlined with Red Hot Chili Peppers once. I was surprised Scott Weiland made it that long.

Squared
    Well, I saw Linkin Park and Chester Bennington died earlier this year. And I saw American Head Charge tour about 2-3 weeks before Bryan Ottoson died, which was a bit strange.

Bit of a different genre but I saw the guitar player Alvin Lee (maybe familiar to you if you know Woodstock) a handful of times, and he died a few years back, too.

Live Shows

So I have tickets to see both The Foo Fighters in February (an anniversary present from my wife) and Taylor Swift in November (my wife's Christmas present from me).

It has been a while since I've gone to see a big concert though.

Anyone else got any love music plans for 2018?

Late As Usual

Follow me on Twitter - Sir_Samuel

I thought you said you were going to concerts, not chick shows....

Just before Christmas I went to see a great blues guitarist/singer from Texas. I don't know if anyones heard of Eugene Hideaway Bridges? He's really really good at laid back blues. I've seen metal bands before, and metal is my favorite genre, but this guy was totally different and still very good.

I've seen a bunch of bands at the same venue (Leeds Festival, like Reading Festival) Slipknot, System of a Down, Metallica, Guns n Roses (without Slash but with Buckethead), Linkin Park, Nine Inch Nails, Smashing Pumpkins, RHCP. I can't even remember all of them. I went roughly 3 times but one time I went when I was older I got too fucked up and can't remember it all that well which is a shame.

Slipknot were completely insane. They were at the height of their Iowa days I think and were completely brutal. The crowd was fucking nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    I thought you said you were going to concerts, not chick shows....
    Well the Taylor tickets were for my wife but look I ain't mad to be going, the girl can put together a catchy beat.

Late As Usual

Christ, Prime - I saw the same line-up at Reading. I presume you were at Leeds?

I saw Linkin Park that year, but in truth I've liked a lot of their stuff after Meteora, and I'd intended to catch them when they toured again...and now Chester's gone. I watched the tribute show they did for him a couple of months ago - man, that was some heavy stuff. It's on Youtube, if anyone wants to watch it - it's one of the saddest things I've ever seen, but quite cathartic too.

I've seen Jimmy Eat World 3 or 4 times, they're one of my favourite bands. I saw Frank Turner a couple of years back, he was seriously good. I've seen the Foos a couple of times, the best one was Leeds 2012, after they'd been warmed up by Kaiser Chiefs (in Leeds!) and The Black Keys. I quite like checking out the support acts of bigger bands too, I've discovered bands like The Struts and Skinny Lister off the back of those gigs.

Squared
    Ha, small world. No, I was at Reading too. Never been to Leeds - used to live fairly close to Reading and had some family really close I could use as a base. I have been closer to Leeds for sometime now but that doesn't really match up to my festival going days.

I don't think I ever heard anything after Meteora, that's prompted me to take a look at their catalogue, and holy shit they've done loads of stuff since.

My first live music experience was Glastonbury 1999. This was before they had the security fence and, to be honest, before they had much in the way of decent security at all, so my Dad was able to get in for free based on a friend's marshalling card, and as I was under 12 and at that time you had to be 16+ to need a ticket I was free anyway.

I look at the line-up now, and my real first memory is watching Ash but that wasn't until the Saturday, and I know full well I'd skipped the Friday off school to go in so we could see The Beautiful South because my Dad was, and is, a big fan of them. Hole were on just before them too. Between Ash, Beautiful South, and Hole you've basically got a summary of my musical tastes from 1999 until the present day. Add to that the fact that Al Green was on (and was amazing) on the Sunday and had that bluesy but also Motowny feel to him and you've pretty much got all the genres music I've ever listened to in that weekend.

I don't go to many gigs now, really. I saw Little Mix last year and they were incredible, so I'm off to see them in the summer in Hull. And The World Is A Beautiful Place & I Am No Longer Afraid To Die are touring and in Leeds, so I think I'll try and get along to that too. It takes me to really, really love a band to make me want to go and see them live, now, unless I'm at a festival. I go to the Indietracks Indiepop weekend pretty much annually and see a whole lot of bands there, some more memorable than others. Martha played last year, who I adore, and they were excellent.

Nas, Jay-Z, Kanye. Those were the best.

Also seen Basement Jaxx, Less Than Jake, Reel Big Fish, Blink 182, Skepta, A$AP Rocky, Big Sean, 2 Chainz and a couple others.

Quote Originally Posted by SirSam View Post
    Taylor Swift in November (my wife's Christmas present from me).
    Snap - I'm taking the lady to see Taylor Swift later this year.

Hey, the ladies love some TSwiz. I ain't mad either it will be a spectacle and her songs are fun.

Late As Usual

I love Swift. Especially the new album, which seems to have been unfairly maligned by some corners due to them tying it all together with, for want of a better term, Brand Taylor which has become a little toxic.

I saw Jay-Z supported by Drake in Manchester once, not so long back, and it was ace.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    I love Swift. Especially the new album, which seems to have been unfairly maligned by some corners due to them tying it all together with, for want of a better term, Brand Taylor which has become a little toxic.

I saw Jay-Z supported by Drake in Manchester once, not so long back, and it was ace.
    Still easing myself into the latest album; the production seems a lot different but it's growing on me. I enjoyed Speak Now, Red and 1989.

Nice. I assume Jay had a live band by that point - since Drake was support. You can really tell the difference at a rap concert.

Squared
    I've reached the point where I don't even think of Swift as a guilty pleasure anymore, in all honesty.

Quote Originally Posted by Storme View Post
    Less Than Jake, Reel Big Fish,
    The best band of this type I ever saw was probably the Mighty Mighty Bosstones. They just put on a hell of a show and even the people who only knew the one big song were just loving the whole thing. Totally upstaged the headliners. Best I have seen, though I didn't ever catch Reel Big Fish.

So next Saturday it is Foo Fighters time for me.

They are one of my all time fav bands, I got into them in 2005, by the time I actually had money to see bands varying things have got in the way of me seeing them when they came Down Under: 2011 - my honeymoon the week they toured, 2016 travelling overseas when they travelled here, so I am beyond excited for the show. We are sitting probably 50m at least from where they are playing so I may need to bring some binoculars (do people still use them) but my wife will have a seat which her back will need at some point in the night.

I'll be sure to take a pic or two and I'll make sure I come back here and give a report.

Late As Usual