Thread: G.L.O.W.

Squared

G.L.O.W.

Checked out the first episode of this. Not sure if I'm going to stick with it just yet but I'll probably give the next episode or two another look on the strength of the first. Is there any crossover interest in this show from the wrestling audience? I see that a number of actual pros are going to be turning up in it in smaller roles.

Honestly, I can see it going either way, with wrestling fans either embracing it or hating it - and not a lot of room down the middle.

The Brain
    I really enjoyed the show, and I'd think there'd be a lot of crossover between wrestling fans and those just looking for a well made, entertaining show. There are some really good performances and super fun scenes. One of my favorite bits is where they go to a "real" wrestling match and it finally clicks for the friend that it's just like a soap opera.

I also really, really recommend wrestling fans of any kind checking out the original GLOW. The pilot alone is hilarious and completely insane.

Squared
    Ha, I actually want to watch the real G.L.O.W less as a result of the show. Just hearing them talk about angles and stuff makes it sound batshit, and now like my kind of wrestling at all.

I've seen a bit more though and think I'll stick with it. I don't think it's great TV by any stretch but it feels quite fun so far.

The Brain
    Yeah, the original runs on goofy camp value so if that's not your thing, then give it a skip. Seriously though, I find it very entertaining.

I enjoyed the cameo's as much as anything else in GLOW. I felt like I was in on an in-joke. As a show, it was OK. Fairly unoffensive and easy to watch.

The Brain
    Tyrus and Carlito as the big girl's sisters were really good. I loved the bit with Alex Riley as well.

Squared
    Have watched a couple more episodes since the last post, still enjoying this. Does feel good to be in on all of the in jokes, too.

The Brain
    Yeah, I do feel like it appeals especially to wrestling fans. There's a lot of little stuff you can catch. What episode are you on Pete?

Squared
    I think I'm onto the fifth now. The last one I saw was where they were all moved into the hotel and Ruth was starting to bond with Sheila the She-Wolf. Or to put it another way, the last one I saw had Brodus and Carlito in it!

The Brain
    Yes!! I thought they did a great job. They show up a bit more and are a highlight in my eyes. I think the series gets better as it goes on, easing up on the random casual nudity and goofy drug robots and digging deeper into the characters and story. I also enjoy Bash as the ridiculous money mark. Not sure how I feel about the She-Wolf. Her delivery is great but her character is so outlandish. Ruth was pretty damn accommodating all things considered.

Squared
    Yeah, there's a fair bit of outlandish stuff and a lot of the nudity early on feels pretty gratuitous. Makes it hard to defend against accusations that it's basically trash TV. Glad to hear they'll be pulling back on some of that.

The Brain
    I mean, not completely but it was definitely less noticeable to me after the first episode or two. I do hope people don't think of it as just trash TV though, because there's a lot going on in terms of the story. Nudity is kind of the rule for TV these days anyway whenever they can get away with it, for better or for worse.

Squared
    Yeah, nudity isn't a problem in itself, but gratuitous nudity is a different kettle of fish, and if people think they're doing it and they don't have to it's going to get labelled and get a rep. Most of the reviews I've seen have been pretty good though, with only a few dissenting voices, so I think it has some respect out there.

Squared
    Watched another couple of episodes of this. Quite enjoying it, especially wrestler spotting, so will probably push on through the season: though it was a bit of a down side to have the idea of Alex Riley getting laid put out there so much.

@lopprimetime

The Brain
    Ah, I thought he actually did a great job with that episode. That's probably my favorite of the whole bunch, to be honest.

Looking forward to season 2, glad to see the show get some positive end of the year attention.

Squared
    I binge watched the rest of the first series the other day. It's really quite compulsive when you get into it. The bit with the women going into business for themselves and getting their opposition to come out as the Klan, shouting white power, was very funny.

And in the later parts of the season I think it does a better job of establishing the supporting cast in a way that gets you invested in who they are.

The GLOW rap just makes me cringe though.

@lopprimetime

Netflix has a really good documentary on the actual history of GLOW. It is very interesting and it was fun to see some of the original wrestlers, including Ivory.

Yeah I watched that, was very cool seeing some of the real life inspirations for the characters. Is it 2018 we're getting a second season of this?