Thread: Australia in the News

Squared

Australia in the News

I'm not really used to this, but I'm seeing a lot of Australia related news cropping up recently. A few weeks ago the big thing was Elon Musk trying to solve the energy crisis out there with a bet that if they don't do it in 100 days it's free. Then there was that woman picking up the shark like it was a puppy. In the last couple of days the news has been a bit more 'Darwin award' (no joke intended), with the skydiving accident and the grandmother who has been killed in a crocodile attack.

Funny, I often go a long time without hearing about Australia outside a sporting context, but it just seems to keep cropping up in our news cycle in the second half of this year.

We are good for some crazy stories, particularly wildlife based ones.

If you want to see something really crazy though there was a guy who stole a truck and went straight GTA down a highway and the main street of a town about 80km away from the city I live in.

The driver crashed through a bunch of cars, a gazebo and eventually ran into a building before the truck exploded. Insane pictures when you see it.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-1...-court/9041732

Also another funny one, this jacked kangaroo - don't let Vince see him or he might be the one to finally take the belt of Jinder - similar look but potentially more athletic, I'd say mic skills are probably on about the same level. YOU GUYS ARE JUST BOOING ME BECAUSE I AM A KANGAROO FROM AUSTRALIA!!!!

http://www.news.com.au/technology/sc...181e74779b3f7f
    Last edited by SirSam; 10-14-2017 at 04:40 AM.

Squared
    Heh, they are pretty out there.

My favourite Australian story I have come across this week is a bit more gentle, but perhaps weirder in a way. That according to Netflix, the number of Australians 'binge-racing' entire seasons of shows in a day is on the rise. I guess summer is coming in and people are just trying to stay out of the heat, eh?

I hate binge watchers. Put down the remote and pick up a book.

How do you feel about binge eaters??

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    How do you feel about binge eaters??
    Put down the Submarine sandwhich, pick up some weights, DUD.

With the metric fuckton of deadly creatures hiding in every nook and cranny of the place, I'm amazed that we don't hear more about mass death by nature from Australia.

Is that stuff just swept under the rug by the Tourism Board?

The thing with our poisonous animals are they are all pretty tiny so are more scared of humans than we are of them so they mostly avoid us at all costs.

The larger ones like crocs or sharks are rare enough and in the areas they are present most people know how to be smart enough not to get into trouble.

A few lesser known animals we have that still scare the bejesus out of me.

The Cassowary - basically a dinosaur that never went extinct. They are very territorial and will attack very aggressively.

The Funnel Web Spider - one of the most poisonous spiders in the world, experts at hiding in your shoe and are pretty common in the Sydney area, even in the middle of the city:

Eastern Brown Snake - not the most poisonous snake in the world (that goes to the far more rare Taipan) but easily the most aggressive of our amazing snakes (5 of the 10 most venomous in the world). These fellas live in scrub and bushier suburbs and loves to hide in people's backyards or roofs.

Another funny story from the week, just in case you think your countries government is messed up 5 members of our parliament were forced to step down from parliment after the High Court declared they were never eligible to stand as they are citizens of different countries (there is a clause in our constitution which prvents dual citizens or other citizens from standing in government). One of the losses means that the party that currently holds power, the conservative Liberal party (don't ask, it makes no sense), no longer has a majority in parliament so can't push laws through parliament.

Just another crazy week in upside down land.

Are... are you secretly Robert Irwin?

I probably know more about Australian wildlife than UK now. Especially as I now pretty much live in the bush.

Funnel webs are the bastards.

Everyone around me has white cars, apparently it’s the only colour a ‘roo can see.

Still doesn't help, in one month my mum ran into roos on three different occasions. They live about 10k's out of town and travelling along the road their home is on she had 2 glancing blows and flipped one car while swerving to miss (thankfully not hurt) all of them white.

Roos are just dumb, suicidal or both and love to jump out onto the road just when your car is coming.

I thought the white cars was a vain attempt to keep cars a bit cooler during the hellscape that is the Australian summer. At least that is what my dad told me when I was a kid and he bought a white car instead of the cool blue one I wanted.

Screw all spiders and snakes. Especially snakes. The only thing I'm scared of in life.

I hate the Aussie summer. Really do. I really am half tempted to go live in the northern hemisphere for those 3 months. Plus summer brings out cockroaches too. Not just normal ones but those ridiculous flying ones.

Squared
    I hear that a lot of Australians are losing broadband because parrots are chewing through the cables?!

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    I hear that a lot of Australians are losing broadband because parrots are chewing through the cables?!
    If that is how you refer to our inept Prime Minister and the bunch of gallahs he has in the ministry then you will fit right in if you ever want to come down here.

Squared
    Ha, it wasn't. Was a reference to this story.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-41857761

That said, whenever Malcolm Turnbull's name does reach our ears up here, it's never for anything good. Was the same with Tony Abbott for that matter.

We already have 'Bear here. We don't need Prime coming too!

The Brain
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SirSam View Post
    If that is how you refer to our inept Prime Minister and the bunch of gallahs he has in the ministry then you will fit right in if you ever want to come down here.
    I know nothing of Australia but I just have to emphasize how spectacular this exchange is. Bravo, Sam.

Hey, kinda proud moment for us Aussies in that today the results for our national vote on same sex marriage came back with a 61% yes.

In typical Aussie fashion we kind of did it all a bit later than the rest of the world but hey better late than never.

Thought it was be much closer, really happy today. I love this country sometimes.

Yeah the 60/40 split was what all the polls were predicting but I think after the most recent elections and referendums around the world we have been conditioned to think that polls are not accurate.

Australia voting the right way and into the world cup, what a day (Y)

It's a good day to be Australian

https://youtu.be/eobSMcB-nMA

It is possible only Australians actually get this song.

Squared
    Ha, it's probably funnier if you know the other song, but big fan of Adam Hills. Guy's a ledge.

I don't think your anthem is that bad. Guy sat near me at the Rugby World Cup in 2015 was belting it out, seemed pretty good then.

If you can find it, theres a version of Hill singing Workin' Class Man (probably the real national anthem) to the tune of the National anthem, it's very very good.

Talking of national anthems, I passed my citizenship test, will have the ceremony/passport soon. My last hope to play in a world cup, I'm probably in with a shout

Squared
    'Bear, that's what that video is!

Congrats on being let in down there.

@lopprimetime

I loathe the national anthem here. Absolutely sucks.

And I'd rather we took 'Bear's arch nemesis over him.

Squared
    'Bear has a nemesis?

Anyway.... Big news we keep seeing aside from the cricket seems to be the government over there trying to throw MPs out by claiming they are ineligible, presumably to give themselves more room to move with their agenda.

@lopprimetime

Tito? They get along so well.

I stay out of all politics talk. That's something I won't go into.

Squared
    Between that story and the gay marriage thing, politics was pretty much the only Aussie news we saw for a long while.

Don't worry, though, as in the last couple of days there's been a thing about a big ass snake.

@lopprimetime

Squared
    ... And now something about the hottest day in Australia since the 1930s. Which I imagine is pretty toasty.

@lopprimetime

Yeah, my dashboard temperature gauge said 48 degrees Celsius at one point. I don't know how acurate that is but I'm pretty pale and I can say that when I stepped out in the full sun it was like I could feel my skin burning.

Pretty sure it sent my wife into early labour

More concerning were the storms we had last night

Still going right now in Newie. A lot of dry lightning. Not great in peak summer bushfire season.

I'm just sick of the ridiculous humidity we are getting at night time. I can deal with it being hot during the day. But I don't want to be sweating at 11:13pm at night. Beyond a joke and why I hate summer and hate this country for these three months.

Squared
    Sounds like it's still pretty hot out there judging by some of the sports news.

But on the bright side you are now using drones to save swimmers, which is a pretty cool use of the tech.

@lopprimetime

Tomorrow is our national day, Australia Day. It is the anniversary of the landing of the First Fleet, the first settlers in Australia. The reason I was posting though is that a growing debate in the country is that given the atrocities committed by the settlers towards the Indigenous people, not just at that time but throughout the history of the country: wholesale murder (some argue attempted genocide), stealing of land, stealing of children, general disenfranchisement and no recognition of them as humans in the constitution until the 60s.

It is not a unique set of acts during colonisation but there is an argument that on a day that is meant to celebrate the united country we are now, the indigenous people of the country are mourning the lost generations and trauma caused by the original settlement. Many say the national day should be changed but other argue that the tradition should be maintained as is.

I thought it may be interesting to get the take on it from around the forums not just from Aussies but people outside the normal confines of the debate.

Weren't the Indigenous people already settled?

But on topic, it's something I don't think needs to be changed.

I don't think the day needs to be changed, it's just a date. More compassion and understanding for the aboriginals would be great though.