Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Braun Strowman

Squared

Braun Strowman

Recently I was taking a look at the RAW were Braun Strowman returns to the WWE in the ambulance, and I listened to the huge pop when he arrived and destroyed Roman Reigns. And it got me thinking, that they've done a much better job of turning him into a monster heel than they have managed with anyone in years - possibly, I might say, going all the way back to the very beginnings of Kane's run with the company. But since the start of the year, Strowman has also been in and around the title scene whenever he has been fit, and has never managed to actually capture the big one.

Can you keep someone's air of invincibility intact if you repeatedly throw them up against the champion and they never win the big one? Or is that not a concern, a sign that maybe his character is developing into something else? Is it even worth trying to develop him into something more complex, or is a good old-fashioned monster heel exactly what the WWE needs?

Answers to these questions and anything else relating to The Abominable Strowman here.

The Brain
    I think they were fucking bonkers not to give him the win over Lesnar and see where the wind takes him with the belt in hand. I've had a sneaking suspicion Braun would turn out well for a long time, and he has definitely proven that faith was well placed in recent times. He's one of the guys I'm most interested to see when I do tune in these days, hope he gets his hands on a top belt soon or is at least handled carefully in the meantime. I've heard someone pitch that he ought to recruit Harper and Rowan for a battle with the Shield, and I'd be very much interested in that.

Second that, mizzles - giving the guy the title and seeing where it goes would have been a brilliant decision, in my opinion. Hard to figure whether the loss to Lesnar (or, as much as anything, the manner of the loss to Lesnar) has hurt him long-term, but it's certainly not helped him short-term.

Equally, I'd happily build to Lesnar vs Strowman II at Mania via the Rumble. I'm not for a moment saying I'm against the idea of Reigns vs Lesnar II being there, so don't get me wrong, but for me the momentum was behind Strowman so strongly off the back of his Reigns feud and into the Lesnar feud that giving him the Rumble win (which is completely logical given that nobody has been able to stop him to date) and then that leading to him taking Lesnar to the woodshed like he did at SummerSlam and snatching the title away from him gives a good story.

I fear that come February Strowman will be chicken feed for Reigns on his 'road to redemption' at Mania, but for me you flip it around. Strowman beats Reigns in February and then does the same with Lesnar at Mania. Then you run with Strowman for as long as it works - if you can get to SummerSlam, you could do Reigns/Strowman III/IV/V (what number are we at now?) there and, if Strowman isn't working, switch the title. If Strowman is working - heck, keep it going.

The Brain
    Holy crap, if Strowman wins the Rumble, it'll almost certainly be my favorite Rumble in years. Now that you've mentioned it, I'm not sure what other direction they could possibly satisfyingly go come January.

Squared
    The turnaround in the guy's reactions has been so quick, that they certainly have some kind of spark there. I think you have to run with it and see what happens. You know that if this were a small territorial outfit and they could be sure of his loyalty they'd have strapped a rocket to his back by now.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    Holy crap, if Strowman wins the Rumble, it'll almost certainly be my favorite Rumble in years. Now that you've mentioned it, I'm not sure what other direction they could possibly satisfyingly go come January.
    How much sense does it make, though? I mean, he's dominated everyone he's been in the ring with, so what does he have to fear in the Rumble? Even Lesnar couldn't keep him down easily.

I home he enters (relatively) early and just starts clearing people one by one until he's set up like Austin in 97, only for him to just keep repelling entrant after entrant. He either wins like that (note that this has been my fantasy Rumble booking for years, that one guy will just throw everyone out one at a time, always within the 90 seconds) or they fill the ring back up at some point to keep the momentum of the match going. If they do the second option there, it leaves it open for them to do the 'everyone eliminates the big man' spot (which, if he's not winning, is surely what they'll do with him).

I guess the alternative is they have him in some kind of gimmick match earlier in the night that rules him out of the Rumble itself.

The Brain
    If he doesn't win, I sure hope they do more to protect him than last year. Didn't Baron Corbin throw him out single handedly? Bleah.

In fairness, I don't think they really needed to protect him last year. He was nowhere near as hot as he is now. He did at least clean up the early eliminations - took out seven guys.

Here's something, though, and this may be off the topic of this thread - if you assume that Reigns vs Lesnar is a lock, and given how WWE has previously swerved the winner when it's looked obvious (think Jericho when he returned for Punk), does anybody other than Reigns win the Rumble? Could it be a Smackdown winner, again?

The Brain
    Good point. Hey, what if Braun wins then defects to Smackdown? That'd be a hell of a face turn for him, going off to murder Jinder to death and finally end his reign of terror.

Squared
    What do you do with Braun Strowman as a face?

I'm not saying I'm not interested in the idea, but I'm just not sure how it'd pan out.

You keep him like this, and he just wrecks heels instead of faces? Or have him as chaotic neutral who will just fight anybody?

The Brain
    Exactly, I think it could work perfectly and it wouldn't even be that hard. He remains a destructive force, just point him in the right direction. WWE doesn't even seem to care very much about faces and heels anymore, so plug him in with whoever is hot and see what happens. I think it could be big business, or at least better than what Jinder's been pulling. The brand split is made for a guy like Braun to dominate one show. I could see him becoming what Batista was to Smackdown in the original split, THE top guy in his slot who can mix it up with any top star from any other show at a moment's notice.

EDIT: Oh shit, just thought about the possibility of Strowman/Owens. I want to see a heel Owens get bullied by a face Strowman. I want to see heel Sami bump for the big guy. Give it to me!
    Last edited by mizfan; 10-19-2017 at 03:21 PM.

I almost want to see them treat Strowman the way they do Lesnar on Smackdown. Have him dispense with challengers in less than ten minutes. Just as a regularly occuring character.

Imagine if the end of Mahal's reign was just Strowman picking him up and slamming him over and over and over and over and over and over and over. 'I'm not done with you!'

Squared
    So basically he'd be the WWE's Goldberg? I mean, if you're going to run with him he has to beat pretty much everyone that is put in front of him, and if he's going to go through people quickly it's going to have a similar feeling.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing, mind you. There's a reason it worked for WCW back in the day, and it's been so long since we've seen anything like that in a main event position that with the right person, I think fans would accept it. Lord knows Strowman has the look and manner to pull it off.

The Brain
    I think it could work. It's been so long since a full time superstar was pushed on that level, plus with Braun you've got more upside to have great longer matches when you need them, I think. Besides Owens and Sami, you've also got AJ and Nak to work with over there. Or imagine him bulldozing someone like Orton? I think it would definitely work for a good long run, and you've got x factors like Luke Harper and Bobby Roode over there too, plus whatever call ups/shake ups happen after 'Mania.

Squared
    I wonder if injuries to the likes of Samoa Joe and Big Cass will stop them wanting to move anyone over to Smackdown until they've got the full roster back up and running. The guys who are ill will obviously be back by the time it comes around but there's a high injured rate at the moment and I'm not sure they can take many more before the WWE will start getting nervous.

That said, you can run the Strowman angle just as easily on RAW as Smackdown. If Jinder dropped the title ahead of Wrestlemania there'd be way more fun in seeing him finally get the duke over Lesnar than in beating some new champion.

The Brain
    I don't think there's a chance in hell they run Strowman/Lesnar for the title at 'Mania after just running it before so recently, especially with Reigns seemingly still set in stone. If Strowman doesn't move to Smackdown I honestly think he'll be doing something non-title, which makes me nervous as WWE is pretty dodgy about handling those in recent years.

Squared
    Oh yeah, I agree with you. I'm not saying it's what they will do, I'm just saying it'd be better. On the Smackdown side going over and beating Jinder looks great, but if Brock's still champ on RAW and he moves over to take on some newer champion on the blue brand it'll look a bit like he is ducking the beast. Which isn't a great look for a monster.

The Brain
    Ah I get your point, they would definitely have to come up with something to justify it. I could get behind the idea of Braun at first indicating he will go after Brock, but Jinder gets paranoid and sends his goons to attack Braun and anger him to the point that he changes directions. Kind of like when JBL's limo tried to run over Batista in '05, except not a misdirect. And maybe not involving vehicular homicide (although isn't Braun now dead anyway after TLC??).

Squared
    That's the sort of thing that would work, and it'd need to be even more well crafted if someone did beat Jinder in the mean time. Kevin Owens seems like the kind of sneaky bastard who could plot himself into the wrath of Braun, mind you. Could do worse, though I'd probably have Braun run over whoever is champ in a couple of minutes. While I've no problem seeing KO's ring time kept short I don't know if my view will be a popular one.

The Brain
    I could forsee a couple problems with an idea like that. First, you've got to get the belt off Jinder to someone else, then from that person to Owens. I guess Owens could win it straight off in some multi-man but that doesn't seem very appealing. 'Mania season is pretty congested at times, so that's a lot to change in a short time, plus whoever gets the boost off of beating Jinder might not be able to capitalize on it if they're just transitional. I almost think that scenario could work well if Zayn was still a face, but that cat is out of the bag now. Second issue, if Strowman squashes Owens I think he'll get anything but a face reaction. Some fans are tired of Owens in the ring, to a certain extent, but few are rooting for him to fail, so the dynamic feels messed up in that scenario. People actually hate Jinder as champion, and we can argue if they hate in the "right way" or not, but I do think whoever takes the belt off him will be viewed as a hero (or at least a major relief).

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    I think they were fucking bonkers not to give him the win over Lesnar and see where the wind takes him with the belt in hand. I've had a sneaking suspicion Braun would turn out well for a long time, and he has definitely proven that faith was well placed in recent times. He's one of the guys I'm most interested to see when I do tune in these days, hope he gets his hands on a top belt soon or is at least handled carefully in the meantime. I've heard someone pitch that he ought to recruit Harper and Rowan for a battle with the Shield, and I'd be very much interested in that.

I think that match with Brock proved that Braun's wrestling is not up to par. I think passing up on Joe was the bigger mistake, and treating him as a 6 minute joke was even worse. That was really the feud that turned this year around for them and generated a buzz and interest, and they didn't realize until too late what they had.

Squared
    I can see why you'd want to go with Joe, as he is younger than Lesnar and is the closest thing to having the same kind of edge that they have on the roster. But I wouldn't get too hung up on Strowman's wrestling. We do that a lot nowadays, and forget that not everyone has to be Ricky Steamboat. If people react to the fact he's a monster and want to see him kill people, then book that well and it'll work.

I disagree on Strowman's wrestling, given that he's a big guy. And I loved the story of the Lesnar match with the German's actually wearing him down from being initially able to shoot up out of one to slowly being less and less able to bounce back. In fact, if the match had gone another five minutes and Strowman hadn't gone down after one F5 I think they'd have really been on to something.

Sorry to double post, but - that's a full face turn now, right, Attacking Miztourage at the end of Raw?

I wonder whether WWE are finally putting the rocket on him, you know, especially with Roman off TV for at least the next couple of weeks. Hopefully he leads Team Raw, to some extent, in presence if not in name.

I don't think Vince has ever soured on Strowman, its just he needed to make Brock look good for his mania match with Roman that Vince is so set on. So now they'll try to ride a Braun Babyface at least until the Rumble, he'll have a great showing there and hopefully have a singles match at mania.. or more likely win the battle royal.

Then after mania, you can move him to SD or go back to a Reigns match on RAW

Super Moderator
    Man, I would love for them to switch gears now and have Braun win the Rumble and beat Brock and Mania. Have the Kane run where he eliminates like 15 guys, but on top of that have him win.

Are they going to have Roman win another Rumble? Cena? Yuck.

The biggest problem with the shove that Roman is gotten is that he's been around like five years, and has nothing left to do. He's won the Rumble, he's won the tag team, US and WWE Titles, he's closed WrestleMania, he's beaten The Undertaker and Cena and Brock. There's nothing left to accomplish. In an effort to get him over, they've blown their load so that if it were to work there are no dragons left to slay and nowhere left to go but down, unless he holds the belt forever.

That's definitely the story I'd be going with now - I'd in fact hold off on The Shield reunion tour if possible (even though they've pulled the trigger on it, really) and give the three a high profile Mania match as their first one 'back together'. I imagine that's too far away now for them to keep holding off like that, but realistically they're not going to be back together at Survivor Series (assuming Reigns' health is sorted by then anyway), and then there's only one more Raw PPV, I think, before the Rumble where you can have them all be in the titular match. After that it's only Fast Lane (or whatever the February PPV is called) before Mania - might as well keep them loosely together over the next few months, but pull the trigger on a match for Mania.

If Gallows and Anderson aren't gone, which seems to be the case, maybe you pull the trigger at Mania on 'Bullet' Club vs The Shield. I can't see Finn, Gallows, or Anderson having anything major to do on the big show right now, even if Finn does take a loss to Lesnar at the Rumble. Why not put that on the card and have that be the 'first' Shield reunion match?

Then you run Braun vs Lesnar II, throw a No DQ stipulation on it to make it utterly balls to the wall and allow for a bit of rest time and plunder use, and have Braun come out on top to end Mania.

Squared
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post
    The biggest problem with the shove that Roman is gotten is that he's been around like five years, and has nothing left to do. He's won the Rumble, he's won the tag team, US and WWE Titles, he's closed WrestleMania, he's beaten The Undertaker and Cena and Brock. There's nothing left to accomplish. In an effort to get him over, they've blown their load so that if it were to work there are no dragons left to slay and nowhere left to go but down, unless he holds the belt forever.
    Not really about Braun but have to quote this because it's just the truth.

Loving that image. Really easy for the commentators to sell that last image as something that means that you need to tune in the following night, too. Roman and Brock winning is a bit of 'as you were', but if Strowman beats him, and is able to stand and roar with the title at the end.... I mean, that's one hell of a visual.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post
    Man, I would love for them to switch gears now and have Braun win the Rumble and beat Brock and Mania. Have the Kane run where he eliminates like 15 guys, but on top of that have him win.

Are they going to have Roman win another Rumble? Cena? Yuck.

When did Roman beat Brock? Rollins won at Mania, and Brock won at SummerSlam.

Squared
    Quite right, strictly speaking I don't think he has one on one. He did beat him in that triple threat at Fastlane, though as he pinned Ambrose I know a lot of people won't really count that.

Since Lesnar's return, I think he has only been pinned three times. Once by Cena (Extreme Rules 2012), Once by HHH (of course at WM29), and once and once by Goldberg (Survivor Series 2016). Lesnar "passed out" against Taker at SummerSlam 2015.

Squared
    Yes, Lesnar has definitely been well protected. With that said, until they fix Roman I wouldn't give him the win as it hurts more than helps.

I would, though, give Strowman a win. Clean. And at any event you'd care to name.

They won't. We all know the plan is Reigns vs Lesnar at WM34 with Reigns finally conquering the Beast, to a chorus of Boos, again.

But, I do think the WWE has learned their lesson, in that they will not have Reigns win the Rumble again. My guess it will be John Cena winning for the third time to challenge AJ Styles for the WWE Title for the record breaking 17th title run.

And the way to have the audience 100% cheer for Cena winning is to have as the final two superstars be Cena and Reigns. Then when Cena eliminates Reigns the audience goes nuts simply b/c Reigns didn't win. It also gives Cena a "win" back over Reigns.

AND since the WWE Title should get top billing over the Universal Title, the Main Event of Mania will be Cena vying for his 17th championship run against AJ Styles, and you can have Reigns vs Lesnar lower on the card so Mania doesn't end in a chorus of boos, again.

Then some food for thought...since the RAW after Mania crowd is usually crazy, the WWE can pull a great swerve on the audience. They can have RAW open up with Cena coming out to celebrate his 17th title run and say that after Mania, RAW and Smackdown made a trade. Champ for Champ. The WWE Title is now back at home on Monday Night RAW and the Universal Title and champion is now part of the Smackdown roster. The crowd would go nuts.
    Last edited by Powder; 11-02-2017 at 02:41 PM.

The Brain
    Do people really care which show the title is on though?

Us, no. But I bet Vince does, that the flagship show does NOT have THE WWE Title on it.

Um well he booked it so it would have the Universal title on RAW.

My guess to that is because ol' Vince wanted Smackdown live to succeed so he allowed the #1 title of the company go to the "new brand" to help it out. And it did for a long time until Vince depleted the roster and sent all the breakout stars, sans AJ Styles, back to RAW.

The Brain
    That may be, but I still don't see what makes it a great swerve for the audience, you know? Maybe if the WWE champion was someone the crowd really loved and the Uni title was on someone they hated, they'd pop for that, but I'm not sure that tracks in this scenario.

Still hoping Braun wins the Rumble and finds a reason to go murder Jinder. The Lesnar storyline would be fun too but I just can't see WWE going for it.

Mizzle, you really can't see the WWE Universe going bananas for John Cena if/WHEN he wins the WWE Title at Mania and opens up RAW and tells THAT crowd that Roman Reigns is NOT going to be there b/c he is going to Smackdown?

I could see that as one of the biggest pops of the night. The post-Mania RAW crowd is always nuts, and they would all cheer for him in celebration and appreciation for Cena, AND the fact that they would not have to see Reigns.
    Last edited by Powder; 11-02-2017 at 09:26 PM.