Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Braun Strowman

Squared
    I can see that, but don't see the titles as especially relevant to that switch. It's a schadenfreude thing, we hate Reigns deal, and the respective status of the straps seems irrelevant because I buy the not seeing Roman more than the idea of them celebrating with Cena.

The Brain
    I guess not seeing Roman would probably get a pop from that crowd in particular, but I'm not sure WWE is willing to acknowledge his unpopularity to that level. Would be interesting, though, if Braun did indeed win the WWE title and then he and Roman were switched so that Roman could go off and develop into more of a Batista role where being the sole "face" of the company won't be so emphasized.

I think that the WWE Universe has finally accepted Cena 100%. Singing "John Cena Sucks" during his Theme Music and the dueling Let's Go Cena/Cena Sucks chants are akin to Angle embracing he You Suck chants during his Theme Music.

The Universe knows that Cena is pulling back more and more, and will soon be gone fully, so they/we appreciate him now. We know he can still go, and still be gold on the mic, but we also know he is 40, just got engaged, and getting more movie roles.

Squared
    I don't think 'the Universe' thinks anything 100%. It's not like it's some sort of amorphous blob with one brain. To be honest, until he came up against Reigns, there were still plenty of boos for Cena in his promos and matches, not just the chants. It's a lot less intense but I don't think that's all about him and might be as much to do with the fact that you don't see him so often.

He's won people over across the years for sure. I am one of them (partially). But that could easily be just as much about him being less annoying to people when he is less visible as it is about any huge growth in appreciation over the past couple of years.

It's a question for his thread rather than here, but I do wonder what a John Cena, with that chat, that look, and that work ethic, might have been able to do had the WWE had the wisdom to protect him and present him properly. The sky would have been the limit.

Anyway back to Braun, and just to go back to the original post that started all this I didn't say they would, I said that I would give him that win over Brock. I'm not anticipating it but to me it just seems like the obvious right move.

It sounds as if they are going full face turn with him. I hope that they don't turn him into some kind of BFG type, as that'd kill him stone dead.
    Last edited by Prime Time; 11-03-2017 at 11:10 AM.

The Brain
    My brain had to work hard to not see that as "Bound For Glory". Wrestling brain!

Yeah, the last thing Braun needs is to become a dancing Khali or any of Big Show's various face turns over the years.

Squared
    Braun as Showster 2.0 would not be cool. Though he was a rosebud so anything is possible.

The Brain
    HAHA, I completely forgot he was a rose bud! What a weird time that was. Funny how those weird cameos happen in wrestling, like Mick Foley getting squashed by Kamala or whatever in 1985 or Cesaro & EC3 appearing as random security guards. I just ran across Steve fuckin' Blackman in 1988 as a jobber. So bizarre.

Squared
    Ooh, that reminds me of when I saw Ken Shamrock on an old show under the name Vince Torelli!
    Last edited by Prime Time; 11-07-2017 at 04:39 PM.

How about Dean Ambrose from 2007?

The Brain
    Now THAT, is a weird one...

Squared
    God. Can you imagine if he'd kept that look?!

Anyway, now that the taking the title off Jinder plan appears to be scuppered, best case scenario for Braun?

The Brain
    Not convinced it is, as I still think Jinder has a good chance of winning that belt back.

If not... yeah, not sure where he goes otherwise. Maybe he retires Kane? That feels way too long to drag that feud out but nothing else comes to mind off the top of my head.

Squared
    I could take him squashing Corbin in 10 seconds. But as for serious options, yeah, drawing a blank.

So, Braun's gone babyface. Is he going to be the Goldberg of this generation, or is this the beginning of him becoming a Ryback?
    Last edited by Prime Time; 01-25-2018 at 06:35 AM.

@lopprimetime

The thing with Ryback is that his full face turn was somewhat forced by WWE not having their preferred option for the Punk feud. They never really defined him before then. If Cena had been healthy and able to face Punk at HiaC, it could have gone in a very different direction.

I think they've done what they've done with Braun a lot more organically than what they did with Ryback, and I think it will be successful. How successful remains to be seen. Certainly his Brock loss set him back a few steps, but in subsequent weeks he's somewhat rebuilt some momentum.

The Rumble will likely be defining for him. They have to make him a big deal within the Rumble match itself.

I would have Strowman enter the Rumble at around 15-16, where there are plenty of guys left to do battle with and eliminate. Then as the clock keeps ticking we have more and more people trying to get Strowman out, leading eventually to Reigns coming in around 24. When Reigns gets there and begins attacking Strowman, it still doesn't work.

Then a few more entries, the after entrant 30 happens and we have the final four of Reigns, Strowman and ??? and ???, HHH appears and eliminates Strowman as payback for the Survivor Series powerslams.

That keeps Strowman safe by being eliminated underhandedly, and clearly sets up the match at Mania.

The Brain
    Poor Ryback. They handled that Punk stuff so horribly. Might as have had Scott Hall hit him with a taser.

There's no reason Braun doesn't work as a face, as long as he's still an ass kicking monster as much as possible. The moment they try to start garnering sympathy for him, he's in big trouble.

Squared
    Do you think the problem for him could be the issue Undertaker sometimes had - that they just keep reaching for bigger and bigger guys to try and generate some of that sympathy, and that so often they couldn't work at anything like the level 'Taker could?

Have seen people refer to Strowman as the hottest thing in wrestling currently, so presumably if you don't change the 'mania plans you've got to keep the push going through into at least the summer, and either pull the trigger on him for Summerslam or begin to build towards the next Wrestlemania.

Was also reading that he's felt a bit of resentment from some of the others backstage as to the speed with which he's been prioritised by the WWE, but I guess that's to be expected. If anything, they should probably be glad, because if he stays hot everyone else's paychecks will see the benefit.

@lopprimetime

Possibly, Prime.

I actually think trying to get sympathy for him is what the issue is. In many ways, it's the same as with Reigns. Reigns barely ever got any chance at sympathy as a Shield member, and got over by being a bad ass motherfucker who turned up, fucked up, and fucked off. Braun's the same - trying to get sympathy for him isn't what the actual appeal is. The appeal is that he can flip an ambulance and dominate just about everyone in WWE. They should just have him keep trucking people in the same way. You knew they were going to go for the sympathy by the way they didn't have him emerge from the hole in the ring when he drove Kane through it. Imagine that moment but with Braun rising up at the end and just roaring to see out Raw - it's a completely different moment then.

Squared
    I mean, I'm with you on the basic principle... but presumably you have to do something different with him eventually, especially if we're going to see him every week for most of the next 5-10 years? At some point, doesn't there have to be some jeopardy, or you'll risk the 'ah, Braun's crushing again, that shit's old' reaction?

@lopprimetime

i dont know it works for Brock. I know Brock will never win match of the year but his matches are so much fun to watch. I love watching him toss guys around the ring i think he is booked perfect. Alot of wrestlers over the years have made a living being booked like this. Braun should be the destroyer, you get on his shit list you get thrashed. You want more you have people gang up on him. you can write stories around keeping his booking the same.

Squared
    Yeah, I guess the only counterbalance is that Brock's not positioned as a babyface, he's either a heel or a neutral, but I guess the fact that it exists hints that it could be doable even with him in that role, good point. They might have to fight off the old instincts that babyfaces need peril, though.

@lopprimetime

Yes, but Brock is not around every week, so it works.

During Brock's initial run in 2002-2004, he came in similar to what he is now, but eventually he became human and vulnerable. He became beatable and he did garner sympathy, especially when Heyman turned on him. The WWE had to, to turn him face.

Strowman does not need to show vulnerability yet. He can still ride this Monster Among Men gimmick until he wins the Uni Title. The WWE can even screw him out of the title so he doesn't have to lose it it, or get pinned. A fatal four way or triple threat protects him too. But eventually he will have to garner sympathy. 2 weeks ago when Kane did the chair thing with Braun's throat, that could have been a beginning of showing that Braun is human, but the WWE reported that Braun refused medical attention, and showed no signs of slowing down the next week. The WWE could have kept Strowman off TV for a week or 2 selling the throat injury and then have Strowman issue the match challenge to Kane via satellite or in a pre-taped interview while still selling the injury.

Either way, the WWE will have to humanize Strowman eventually.

That is why you use groups. I never understood why let him fight off the Mizturage in one show and easily. You could milk it for a bit, that way when he does show vulnerability its when multiple people attack him. You could go UT v Yoko from RR in 89 i think. Where Yoko used every heel to put UT down. stuff like that

That means we need another true dominant heel faction the likes of the Corporation, or Evolution, or the original Shield. Hell even reunite the original Wyatt Family just in order to take down Strowman.

You need 3-5 true superstars, not the Miz (who is a Superstar) and Axle and Dallas.

A new Authority/Evolution stable led by HHH with Joe, a newly turned heel Jason Jordan and a returning Revival would be a good idea.

The Brain
    Undertaker was still Mean Mark Callous in '89... it was '94 when he faced off with Yokozuna.

Here's my question: is Braun still as hot as he was? I remember he was all anyone was talking about a few months ago, but then he lost decisively to Lesnar and then got punked out by Kane. Obviously he's still a significant name, but I feel like the buzz has dropped off significantly in a hurry.

There's probably less buzz but he's still getting big reactions when he shows up. I don't think the Lesnar loss damaged him, really. The Kane feud if it lasts much longer might start adversely effecting him though.

Doing the monster gimmick is cool but you have to keep doing stuff that people want to see. Destorying Elias was fun. Slugging it out with Kane.. not so fun.

The WWE is biding their time with Strowman. Early rumors and reports are that we may be getting Strowman vs HHH at Mania to fight instead of Angle. ISo they have to keep Strowman busy in the meantime. Who else besides Kane can you throw at Strowman right now?

I want a Strowman/Joe feud in the worst way, and I hope that Angle is good to go for mania so Strowman/Joe can happen at Mania in a 15 minute match.

Quote Originally Posted by monroe View Post
    i dont know it works for Brock. I know Brock will never win match of the year but his matches are so much fun to watch. I love watching him toss guys around the ring i think he is booked perfect. Alot of wrestlers over the years have made a living being booked like this. Braun should be the destroyer, you get on his shit list you get thrashed. You want more you have people gang up on him. you can write stories around keeping his booking the same.
    You would be wrong here. Brock is an amazingly great worker, who has had many match of the year candidates since his return, and has probably came closing to winning at times, but been thwarted by NJPW every time. And do not forget Brock's masterful selling. Has anyone of that size sold so well?

Squared
    I mean, if people just want to see Strowman smash, do you need to worry about who you throw at him? Just book a long win streak until something good comes to mind.

@lopprimetime

Are we really getting Strowman?Lesnar II are the Rumble? If so how can you have Strowman lose again without killing his character that has been successfully built back up after losing to Lesnar.

Or are we getting a triple threat with Kane, Strowman and Lesnar, where Strowman will be booked to look invincible, but Kane takes the F5 and the pinfall to protect Srrowman?

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    Are we really getting Strowman?Lesnar II are the Rumble? If so how can you have Strowman lose again without killing his character that has been successfully built back up after losing to Lesnar.

Or are we getting a triple threat with Kane, Strowman and Lesnar, where Strowman will be booked to look invincible, but Kane takes the F5 and the pinfall to protect Srrowman?
    Probably the latter. Though ideally Kane would win the title at the rumble and then lose it to Strowman at Mania as a send off to Kane. Enough with having a part time champion...

Quote Originally Posted by Teslamouse View Post
    Probably the latter. Though ideally Kane would win the title at the rumble and then lose it to Strowman at Mania as a send off to Kane. Enough with having a part time champion...
    But thaaaaat woooooould derail the plans for Reeeeeeeeigns......(typed in my snarkiest whine)

That would be perfect as Reigns beating Lesnar does not need the title.

But I'll bite, who takes the pinfall then?

Vince does not want Lesnar gettng beat prior to Mania to make Reigns' win be that "much more".

Strowman cannot take the pinfall, or he loses all the momentum that he just built.

There is no way to put the title on Kane without hurting one of the other two.

And it still seems like we are getting Strowman vs HHH at Mania, and Angle vs Jordan.

I mean know there's backlash against Brock being part time but the solution is not to put the belt on fucking Kane. Come on people. Kane was past his prime 7 years ago or more. I don't need to see another Braun/Kane match either. To me, WWE has Brock/Reigns booked to a point where you really can't do anything else besides maybe champ Braun vs. Roman. No one else is built up for that match or hot enough to warrant it.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    But thaaaaat woooooould derail the plans for Reeeeeeeeigns......(typed in my snarkiest whine)

That would be perfect as Reigns beating Lesnar does not need the title.

But I'll bite, who takes the pinfall then?

Vince does not want Lesnar gettng beat prior to Mania to make Reigns' win be that "much more".

Strowman cannot take the pinfall, or he loses all the momentum that he just built.

There is no way to put the title on Kane without hurting one of the other two.

And it still seems like we are getting Strowman vs HHH at Mania, and Angle vs Jordan.
    Lesner could take the pinfall without it hurting him. Lesner has dominated with the title for about a year so finally taking a pinfall loss wouldn't hurt him. However, you're right. Reigns will probably be the one to take the title off Lesner, and Vince will continue to wonder why we don't like him.

Squared
    So in the last ten days Strowman has been in a parody of Elf, and acted like Hulk Hogan on a house show. Is this a sign that Strowman is slipping into that big, friendly giant kinda territory, or is it just completely removed and people have confidence in the Vinman to keep him brutal onscreen?

@lopprimetime

If Braun isn't champion by end of 2018 something has gone badly wrong

Samuel Plan
    Oh god above, Prime; I had never considered that...

Here's hoping you're just being paranoid. But given the mindset WWE have been in over the last two years, it would be just like them to decide to tear down Strowman's character that way, especially if fans react mildly positively to it.

"THAT WORKS! LET'S DO THAT MORE!"
    101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die: The Book is now available to buy on Amazon UK, Amazon US and Amazon Europe! Just search for "101 WWE Matches" and it'll pop up!

~ Samuel Plan

I think Braun unfortunately is more likely to play for laughs due to how he deliver promos.... I say unfortunately because even though it is funny, once you take the edge off, I don't like the character as much.

But at the same time, I knew it was coming.

I listened to a really good podcast interview with Braun yesterday, which I won't link here as it came from an alternative site (but I'm sure you could find it through Google).

Some of it was the usual chat about life stuff, Gameboys and gaming, but there was a really interesting couple of comments from him on there about paying his dues and how the crowd perceived him to have not done so but, in reality, he'd spent years competing in strongman contests, paying out of his own pocket to do them, and so those were his dues. It's funny, I think we rarely think of that, as wrestling fans, becuase it's different to 'paying your dues' on the indy circuit and actually in wrestling.

Also a good comment about him getting injuries early on in his time at the Performance Centre due to him needing to recondition his body to the rigours of wrestling from the rigours of strongman, and how he needed to move weight and muscle mass around. He said he dropped about 60lbs just in conditioning himself to wrestle matches rather than the short, sharp competition of strongman. He came off really well on it, it was a good little interview, and most importantly he seemed really humble about both the opportunities he's had and where he's got to so far, which can only help him in the years to come.

There was a comment from him on Vince McMahon as well. Basically Braun debuted after having 7/8 wrestling matches, and Vince said he was going to learn on the job and knew where he wanted to get Braun to in the future from day one.

Super Moderator
    See, Braun's upbringing is classic old school.

Everyone wants guys who toiled on the indies for a decade, but the truth is that the way it used to work is that you found an impressive looking guy, taught him the basics and put him on tour. It was on tour that you learned if he had what it took mentally, and you booked him with people who could work better than him so he could learn as he went.

These days, people have become so conditioned to A+ matches every time they watch, that even green guys trying to learn by doing on an indy level get shit on by "smart" fans.

I think that people forget that the Road Warriors weren't indy darlings, they were literally bouncers in a bar a year before they were murdering people as Hawk and Animal.