Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Friday the 13th: The Game

  1. #1
    Word Enthusiast Steve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Deep in the heart
    Posts
    1,035

    Friday the 13th: The Game

    I know this is a bit late given that the game has been out there for months now, but the physical copies are dropping in a week (on Friday the 13th, fittingly) so I figured it's relevant enough.

    Unfortunately, I won't be able to play it since I'm still rocking a PS3. I can feel the day I try and snag a PS4 inching closer and closer, as the very few games I'm actually interested in playing are all exclusive to that generation of platforms now, with F13, South Park: The Fractured But Whole and the WWE games all refraining from coming out for the previous generation of consoles. That's another topic, though.

    I'm not one of those people who watches folks game online and stuff, but man, I had a blast watching people play F13 matches on YouTube for the first month or so after the game's release, and I'll still watch the occasional one now. It looks like a fucking blast. I know it had some issues with bugs and stuff, but most of that seems to have been worked out and it seems that most folks are pretty happy with the game, overall. As a fan of the franchise, I really love the attention to detail that they paid. All the different Jasons, the awesome settings. It's righteous.

    Anyone here into it or have plans to jump aboard when the physical copies hit next week? Hell, maybe we could fuck around and put together an LOP group for online play. I'd damn sure watch you guys run around murdering each other and whatnot. At least until I do finally get that PS4. By that time it'll probably only be, like, me and four other people still playing, though.

    26 letters... 26 columns... 26 days...

  2. #2
    Remember me? Degenerate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    629
    I was unaware that this game was coming. I caught a few gameplay videos and it does look really fun. The latest reviews I saw still say that there's a lot of bugs and glitches galore, and constant crashes on the PC version, so it doesn't look like those have been fully addressed yet. Hopefully those get ironed out sooner rather than later since this seems it can be the game to break the streak of not-so-fun Friday The 13th video games. Not sure why this particular franchise hasn't had a solid hit game made for it yet.

    I don't plan on picking up a PS4 any time soon, but if the game allows for cross-platform multiplayer, I'd be down to pick up a copy on Steam and play with some of you fine folks.

  3. #3
    Word Enthusiast Steve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Deep in the heart
    Posts
    1,035
    I can't speak from experience, as I haven't played it, but it seems to me that many of the bug issues have been blown out of proportion. I've watched at least 50 matches on YouTube by now, some of them live, and haven't seen any significant bugs since the first couple weeks of launch when some players figured out how to walk in the air or hide in walls and shit. I know there are more out there and I'm sure they're frustrating as hell, but just based upon what I've seen, they don't seem to impact gameplay that much.

    There has only been, to the best of my knowledge, one previous Friday the 13th game, that being the old NES one where Jason has a weird icy blueish mask and is all purple. The developers for this new game actually paid homage to that old NES one by making a skin for Jason that looks like a real version of the blue and purple Jason.

    I'm interesting to see reactions to the physical release later this week. I thought perhaps more people were into it, but I suppose all the hype I've been seeing has been because I've been in my own little bubble of interests.

    26 letters... 26 columns... 26 days...

  4. #4
    Squared
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,899
    Quote Originally Posted by YourAyatollah View Post
    Unfortunately, I won't be able to play it since I'm still rocking a PS3.
    I'm in the same boat. Will probably have to suck it up and buy a PS4 at some point but at this point it almost feels like it's worth waiting for the next inevitable generation, if my hardware holds out.

  5. #5
    Remember me? Degenerate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    629
    My comment about the bugs comes from recent reviews from the last 30 days on the game's Steam page. Oddly enough, the overall rating is positive but the recent reviews are not very good, so there has to be something to it. I did, out of curiosity, watch a few live streams of the game and they looked okay.

  6. #6
    Senior Member DBPanterA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    861
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    I'm in the same boat. Will probably have to suck it up and buy a PS4 at some point but at this point it almost feels like it's worth waiting for the next inevitable generation, if my hardware holds out.
    Realistically speaking, I wouldn't expect a PS5 until 2019 at the earliest, most likely 2020. Sony, Microsoft, and to some degree Nintendo with the Switch did these mid-generation upgrades (PS4 Pro, Xbox 1X next month) that they will push and want to make profitable for awhile.

    I have a few friends that are in the market for a console upgrade, mostly for streaming and an occasional game (talking 1 game a year at best). The key to this really comes down to if you have a large 4K TV. Some people do, some people do not. If a 4K TV is not in the immediate future for ownership, that really helps the cause. Any game that is going to be released over the next few years, especially 3rd party games, will have to run on the oldest hardware. I have told everyone to wait until Black Friday. You will be able to get a base model PS4 or Xbox1 with several games for $250, probably less as you can routinely find these consoles with 1-2 games on-line for $250 today. Heck, I went over and looked at the gaming section at my local target and a lot of the best games I have played this generation on PS4 are all $20.

  7. #7
    Remember me? Degenerate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    629
    Did anyone here manage to pick up the game? I'm honestly tempted to get it, but I keep reading about unpatched bugs that haven't been addressed and it makes me a bit wary to jump on it now. I don't mind bugs, since I know games will have that, but it seems like the game developers are more focused in releasing DLC instead of fixing stuff. That's a worrying trend.

  8. #8
    Squared
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,899
    Quote Originally Posted by DBPanterA View Post
    Realistically speaking, I wouldn't expect a PS5 until 2019 at the earliest, most likely 2020. Sony, Microsoft, and to some degree Nintendo with the Switch did these mid-generation upgrades (PS4 Pro, Xbox 1X next month) that they will push and want to make profitable for awhile.

    I have a few friends that are in the market for a console upgrade, mostly for streaming and an occasional game (talking 1 game a year at best). The key to this really comes down to if you have a large 4K TV. Some people do, some people do not. If a 4K TV is not in the immediate future for ownership, that really helps the cause. Any game that is going to be released over the next few years, especially 3rd party games, will have to run on the oldest hardware. I have told everyone to wait until Black Friday. You will be able to get a base model PS4 or Xbox1 with several games for $250, probably less as you can routinely find these consoles with 1-2 games on-line for $250 today. Heck, I went over and looked at the gaming section at my local target and a lot of the best games I have played this generation on PS4 are all $20.
    Thanks for the heads up. I had read the new X-Box was on the way soon and it was 12-18 months to the play station 5. Still think that I will probably wait as I'm not a massive gamer but good to be prepared that I might have to adapt. If it is 2020 no guarantee my console will hold out.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •