Thread: RIP AOL Instant Messenger

Man On The Silver Mountain Steve's Avatar

RIP AOL Instant Messenger

It was announced today that AOL will be shutting down AOL Instant Messenger on December 15 after 20 years of awesomeness.

I know I spent a fair amount of time on AIM back in the day, mostly with people I met here on LOP. The ideas and funny shit and friendships that evolved from those sessions were literally life altering in some instances, though they were mostly just a good time.

Any good AIM stories, be they LOP related or otherwise?

Much spoopy. Very creppy.

I also spent a lot of time on AIM with people from LOP, and they were some of my most fun online memories I've had since I've been using the Internet. A lot of the chats used to happen in the middle of my work day, which made some of the more crappy days a lot more bearable and pleasant to go through. I have a few screenshots from some of those conversations that I will make sure to keep around.

Outside of LOP, I have a lot of good memories of using AIM during my college days with classmates, just chatting about classwork or venting. Nothing special, but again it made a lot of sucky times a lot more pleasant.

It also helped me meet a few people who lived close by and form real-life relationships, including one particular girl who lived less than five minutes away from me. I don't remember why we started chatting, but I just remember hitting it off almost instantly with her and after a few days we met in person at the local movie theater (I clearly remember we watched "The Perfect Storm", so mid-2000s) and became a couple for over four years.

So I guess I don't have any good AIM stories, just a lot of fond memories. Hopefully people have a lot of those fond memories with them too.

Squared
    Tempted to get this running again for the last few months.

I wouldn’t be here today if it wasn’t for AIM. Not like dead and stuff, but not posting on these forums. The student years of drinking and experimenting were accompanied by constant nights on AIM. And a lot of those nights were spent talking with LOPers. We talked a lot of shit and we had deep meaningful discussions. Most of the support I’ve received and been given by people on this board was through AIM. I’ve spent all night giving people shit about someone I’ve got pregnant, or dropping out of Uni and I’ve spent all night listening to how someone’s wife fucked around or how they’ve spunked all their money and are facing serious issues. It remains a special place to me.

We should do another AIM orgy. Just for old times sake.

Say it ain't so!

I'd love to do an AIM orgy during RAW and memorialize it with a column.

I used to use MSN to talk to real life friends and aim for lop people. Had good times on both. I remember when I was 16 drinking vodka with my friend and asking every chick we knew if they'd go out with us. That was over 10 years ago. Damn I feel old.

Why have they got rid of them? I'm not fond of Facebook and Twitter and Instagram. Don't have any. That's all anyone uses now days.

If you download the im+ app you can have your aim account on your phone. I’ve downloaded it (and logged in) for old times sake.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    I remember when I was 16 drinking vodka with my friend and asking every chick we knew if they'd go out with us.
    Well, did the tactic work?

used to go back and forth on AIM with the FFA OG's back in the day

but ya, it's pointless now

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate View Post
    Well, did the tactic work?
    I honestly can't remember. I think it did. I asked my ex out on msn after I had dumped her previously. I literally said "Do you want to come round for sex".

It ended up turning into a serious relationship, but yeah, that's how it started. Then she left me because I'm a wasteman.

There are many other messaging apps now, AOL and AIM had the market cornered, but they grew stagnant and became dinosaurs. Good riddance. Whatsapp should shutdown too, it really sucks.

twitter conquers.

remember our convos, GNR? I remember when your truck got stolen in Seattle...