Thread: Marilyn Manson

Squared

Marilyn Manson

On Saturday, Marilyn Manson was crushed by one of the prop's from his show in New York. It sounds as if Manson is pretty much OK, but is recovering at home and has had to postpone a number of the remaining tour dates.

Glad to hear that this wasn't worse. Apparently won't make any difference to the release date of Heaven Upside Down, which will be out later this week.

I'm not a Manson fan. Still, glad he's OK.

I appreciate how he pushed the boundaries for shock rock. Just don't think the music is that good.

Squared
    Some of it isn't. I like three of his albums, or I did when I still really listened to music a lot.

I was always a fan of Portrait of an American Family, which isn't that great but has some tracks I like a lot. But I do think Mechanical Animals and Holy Wood had some bits on there that don't get the respect that they deserve. It's a comparison that he's probably sick to death of, but the same kind of thing happened with Alice Cooper.

There is a fair bit of mediocre stuff outside those albums, and I don't know much well after The Golden Age of Grotesque. But even so, he was a big deal back when music meant a hell of a lot to me.

The Brain
    Was a bit surprised to learn he's only 48. Thought he'd be older for some reason. Glad it sounds like he's ok, I don't listen to him much but I do really like The Beautiful People still, and when TNA was using The Nobodies it was a fantastic fit for Decay.

I've always thought Bowie a better comparison than Alice. He started out with different personas and styles on every album through Golden Age of Grotesque before settling into experimenting with different styles and vibes, to varied amounts of success. Alice, which he has evolved musically to fit with the times he's inhabiting, didn't really do the whole "different persona and style for each album" thing.

I love Manson. His first 5 albums are still regularly listened to by me with some sporadic good stuff emerging from those after. I look forward to Heaven Upside Down, as The Pale Emperor was pretty solid.

I'm glad he's alright. Though I was pretty sure he was going to be lost a few years back when at the peak of his drug addled depressive stage, it's been good to see the man rebound. I'm not ready to see him go yet.

Squared
    Oh yeah, I can definitely see a comparison with Bowie. Both he and also guys like Trent Reznor were both clearly massively influenced by what Bowie was doing in the Berlin Trilogy. The analogy I was making was just about how both Manson and Cooper both get underrated at times because of their reputation as shock artists, but beyond that point I wouldn't say I was a huge fan of the comparison.

Squared
    Renaming this because it's been a turbulent few weeks for Manson, with the injury, then Daisy Berkowitz dieing, and then Twiggy Ramirez being fired after being caught up in the round of rape accusations that are currently going on. The only good news for the band is that the new album has come out to really very positive reviews and the critical consensus is that it's a continuation of the upturn that was seen with The Pale Emperor.

Might be the last man alive listening to full albums but two thumbs up from me for Heaven Upside down

Squared
    Just saw the video for Tattooed in reverse which came out a little while ago. Interesting casting with Lisa Marie Presley and Courtney Love in it.

The song is very much at the NiN end of the Manson spectrum. It's OK. Not my favourite but didn't hate it.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"