Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Crouch, Bind, Set - The Rugby Union Thread

anonymous

The RBS 6 Nations thread

This could be a complete failure but, it's that time of year where I don my red jersey, my red scarf and my strongest Welsh accent, and admit to everyone in England that I am Welsh. It's that time of year when the Welsh prove they can be better than the English at something that doesn't involve nudity or sheep. It's that time of year when blood is shed, passion is revealed and some bloody good rugby is played.

Who will win the 6 Nations?

Wales. I'm sticking to it. They've got France at home, which is crucial. I think that could see us win the grand slam and I can't see us losing to anyone. Ireland away is our only major worry. The English look weak. The Scots are a joke. The French are strong but fixtures are against them. Wales will win the 6 nations again.

Bring on the rugby.

Squared
    Glad it didn't fall to me to start this one again.

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
    Who will win the 6 Nations?
    Wales. Can't see anyone else matching them over the whole tournament. France will have to be brilliant to do it, and don't think England or Ireland quite have the quality to sustain it. I think the Slam might be slightly beyond them (they could lose one of any of those games), but it'll be an upset in my eyes if anyone else takes the title.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

Smiffy405
    Of course I would love England to win but I can only see one team winning this and that is Wales

I'm not a huge Rugby fan, but I'll watch the Six Nations. I'd love to see Ireland win it, but Wales seem to the team to beat.

I was at the World Cup semi-final when France beat them, Warbutton getting a harsh sending off, I've wished them all the luck in the world since that.

anonymous
    Thank you, Golden. With the World Cup coming close, I fully expect Wales's period of dominance to shatter next year and the other nations to strengthen.

I'm glad there's some sort of interest in this. With my wonderful sheepy friend not always about, I thought it could've been just me and pete.

Squared
    I thought it could've been just me and pete.
    After an initial flurry of interest, that's usually how it ended in the past...
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

anonymous
    You mean like this?

So, I'm heading to wales. I'm on the train and so far managed to strike up a chat with a man who's certain England will win it and Wales will be 4th

I don't think anyone truly knows exactly how well the top 4 nations will do and that's what makes it exciting. England vs France could be a real eye opener.

Just as to keep my interest up in the egg ball game, I've put a little bet on. Wales -14, Ireland -6 and France, 20 pays around 75 back.

I've had to resort to gambling to sustain my interest, all for you nony. Blaming you if finish the six nations out of house and home.

anonymous
    I'd agree with all of those bets. I'd also say betting it's wide open so don't blame me.

England vs France could go either way or even be a draw. I think France could nick it and are better though.

Enjoy your money. When Wales were first successful I won a fortune as they were 10/1 to win the whole thing. Those odds are a distant dream now.

Squared
    England look more settled than France, but even so, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the French turned the form book on its head on home soil.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

I'm still here. And I'll be watching. The one sport where I don't have to automatically cheer for the French. However, I have a feeling that this year will be one of those years where one team will trundle along picking up wins unnoticed. Kinda like how last year felt for the Welsh. 2pts back the whole time then bam. The right results see us win the whole thing.

I'm looking at you, Italy.

anonymous
    If Italy win tomorrow, I will travel to your place of work and urinate on the custard.

Squared
    If Italy win tomorrow, people will be leaping from their roofs in Cardiff.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

If Italy win tomorrow, I will travel to your place of work and urinate on the custard.
    Good thing I no longer work there...

Squared
    Do you work at all? He'll find it, if you do.

I've learned to never underestimate 'Nony. He got me to have a Birmingham avatar for a month, don't you know.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

Bet stuffed. Forward pass for the Italian try at the start of the second half. Not the most convincing display from Wales, but a wins a win.

Seen a good stat there about France, they've won the Championship or Grand Slam after every Lions tour. Interesting!

anonymous
    France, England and Wales all look pretty weak. Should be a fun tourney.

Sheepy- I love you and hope your work makes you happy.

Squared
    I've felt like shit pretty much all day. Then Villa lose late, from a winning position. Then England lose late, from a winning position.

I think I need something tall to jump off.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

anonymous
    Peter Crouch is available.

Squared
    Even taller than him.

Feeling a bit better today. As I get older, the sting of sporting defeat only seems to ruin an evening rather than a weekend or longer.

I'm not going to say England were unlucky. They started terribly and that meant that France were always going to have a chance. But now that some time has passed it occurred to me that England were the much, much better side in the second half, and if they can react to the disappointment the same way that the Welsh did after a similar start last season, then the tournament might not be a complete disaster.

But yeah, unless France use that as a springboard and take a lot from it going forward, they shouldn't present much of a challenge for Wales in Cardiff.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

Shinobi
    Think the only surprise so far has been Wales struggling against Italy. England in Paris was always going to be a tricky one to predict, but like so many performances over the last couple of years, they played well for 65 minutes and still lost.

They took 15 minutes to switch on, and switched off with 5 to go. Everything between that was very good. Very encouraged by Burrell, Nowell had some glimpses (offered more than Ashton has, at the very least), and the forwards were mostly excellent. France replaced 6 of their pack in the 2nd half, and it made the difference.

France will only beat Wales and Ireland if they are given space to run into. England lost that match and beat themselves more than anything. We've got to play to the very end; it's one thing to lose in the last minute, but to do it two Tests in a row is unforgivable.

We looked dangerous going forward though; the passing was quick and flat, and I think Danny Care had a very good game at 9 in dictating the tempo. Lots of ball-carrying threats in the forwards, too. If we can get it together by the time Ireland and Wales roll around, we're in with a shout.

Scotland look very poor. I watched them play Australia at Murrayfield and they were terrible, and they didn't seem to be any better today. Could be a long 7 weeks for Scott Johnson.

anonymous
    Ireland will beat Wales in Ireland.

Wales will beat France in Wales.

Italy could beat England...

this should be fun

Squared
    This could be the year Italy beat England, the one team they have yet to beat since joining the Six Nations, if the Italians do as well as they did against Wales and England don't really turn up. My gut says that at the end of a long tournament they'll have had too much taken out of them and the strength in depth the English have will be telling... but you know, you can't rule it out.

In the meantime, if we don't rebound strong, we could be in a right hole by then. Scotland away is a far trickier assignment than on home turf, Ireland and Wales can both turn us at Twickenham - frankly, we could be going to Italy either looking to take the title, or going there looking to avoid the wooden spoon.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

EJ84
    Do you guys know who Sam Burgess is? What do you think of his very possible switch to Union?

EJ84
    Oh well. If you don't know him, you will if he crosses over. He'd kill it for England. So would his younger brother, George.

Squared
    I know his name, but not enough about him to have any feelings one way or the other. If he crosses over, hopefully he'll adapt well.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

Shinobi
    They said the same about Andy Farrell, but he was crap.

EJ84
    Farrell never had the size and power the Burgii do. George is just a plain monster but Sam is very mobile as well and would make a devastating centre in Union.

Plus, Farrell was big fish in the small pond of English Rugby League. He never tested himself in Australia like the Burgii are currently doing. He also converted to Union in his 30s and literally spent his first year injured. Sam is in his prime, George is just a baby.

You should've seen the ENG vs NZ World Cup Semi in November. Sam and Sonny Bill Williams were targeting eachother all night. England lost, but Sam won.

EJ84
    Ok, looks like it's going to happen. To Bath and fast tracked into England, at centre, as I suspected.

There will be a learning curve no doubt, but you Pommy Union fans are gonna love him, I guarentee it.

Squared
    Well, League players are often good physical specimens and have ball skills. If he's got the brain for Union then I don't see why not.

Very quiet in here after the shoddy Wales performance. Thought we might have one of the Irish lads beaming about it. Blew the tournament wide open.

Good enough from England. Not stellar by any means, but difficult conditions that they coped very well with. Major worries for Scotland though, as they never asked England to move out of first gear and didn't trouble the scorers. A few years ago I thought Scotland might be about to pull out of the mire and start to get a bit more competitive again, but to be honest they look like the worst team in the tournament and I think they'll have a really tough time avoiding the wooden spoon.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

anonymous
    Rugby didn't happen this weekend. It was just a figment of my imagination. In a few minutes I'm going to wake up from this horrendous nightmare.

EDIT: Sorry Pete, I replied at the same time you were posting.

Squared
    It's all good, Nony.

Irish players have totally been dissing the Welsh, I see. Not only all these comments about 'wanting it more', which Gatland has also levelled at his players (not good for the future) but also O'Connell saying that before the tournament they were looking at the England game as the moment the tournament was going to get 'tough'. I can't believe they were looking past Wales like that, and have got to think that they are basically kicking them when they are down.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

anonymous
    31 replies is good for this thread. Is it a record?

In all fairness to Ireland, beating Wales in Ireland was probably a given. Just like we could well beat France in Wales. England away is going to be the real test and something which terrifies me. My pre-tournament cockiness has been replaced by desperate panic. Especially as I have tickets to the Scotland game and it could be a rather somber affair. Short of cheering England against the Irish and hoping we win all our future games, there's not much I can do. And cheering England horrifies me.

Squared
    You do seem to be in something of a pickle that way. Make your peace with England winning and hope you can beat them... or give up wanting to win the tournament. Seem to be your only options.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

Irish Grand Slam coming gents, that or a French one. Either way, it smells like a Grand Slam year.

Squared
    You reckon? I'd not have thought so, to be frank. Irish slam is possible, French seems unlikely... but wouldn't rule out them both losing at least once.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

anonymous
    I see every team losing once and England winning by a fluke. Then being insufferable about it.

Shinobi
    France won't do the Slam, they're too inconsistent, and they'll fall apart if Ireland put in another performance. I think Wales will beat them too.

England have to play Wales and Ireland at Twickenham, so that puts the Irish Slam in jeopardy. I think Ireland are favourites, but I think England will run them very close in the Championship and should beat them at home.

Then, we'll be just as insufferable as all the Welsh people I know have been for the last couple of years.

Squared
    Ha, yeah. You're not fooling anyone, 'Nony. I grew up in the Valleys. I know full well that Welsh rugby fans are more insufferable than English Rugby fans. In fact, the worst Welsh Rugby fans are just as insufferable as the worst English football fans. And you know that is saying something!

I've got some hope of the title, but not a lot. Be pleased if they manage it because I think it'll represent a victory over teams who are better, on paper. England have lots of depth, and can handle an injury crisis better than most, but I don't think they've anything like the starting XV of the Welsh or Irish... assuming those other sides are in form. What they have is any number of players who are decent enough at top level, if unexceptional, who are able to step in and do a job. Seems to me, anyway.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

anonymous
    All Welsh Rugby fans are lovely. Just ask my office on a monday after we've won.

Wales vs France on a friday night in Cardiff should be fun. Very much a make or break game for us and I hope we can win after we've shaken things up a bit. Then, I'll hope for an England win on saturday.