Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Crouch, Bind, Set - The Rugby Union Thread

It's been one of best 6 Nations ever. Maybe not in terms of quality but in terms of excitement. P

Ireland deserve to win.

Where's Cliff gone?!?
    Its already been touted as one of the greatest days ever in the Six Nations. I have never seen anything like France-England. I mean 55-35 is mental. France, who have been poor, brought some great determination to Twickenham today and whilst they were comfortably beaten on the day they paid great respect to the integrity of the contest by never giving up. They could've given up and not given a damn but they knew there would be teams depending on the outcome and they kept going.

Ireland might just have forgiven Thierry Henry for the handball after that. There won't be a cow milked in this country for week!!

Squared
    Quote Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
    It's been one of best 6 Nations ever. Maybe not in terms of quality but in terms of excitement. P

Ireland deserve to win.
    I think that's a pretty good summary.

There isn't a great deal between the top three. But Wales took too long to get going and England are a bit too callow and let in too many tries over the course of the tournament. Ireland are the the more complete side.

That was an absolutely crazy afternoon of rugby. Whets the appetite for the World Cup!

I'll happily sacrifice a little quality for more excitement. Part one of a great weekend of sport well and truly ticked off.

Squared

2015 Rugby World Cup thread

I was going to try and get the Six Nations thread turned into a generic Rugby Union thread, but I'm not really sure we need to worry about clogging up the forum...

Rugby World Cup around the corner, and I know there are a few people interested in the game around these parts.

Few topics that might be occurring to people to get us started:

If you are Welsh, are you dreading it, or do you think your recent form is in some way 'false'?

If you are Irish, have you ever been more confident than you are going in here?

Southern Hemisphere people (mainly Aussies, I'm guessing) - can you win, or will one of your near-neighbours have the beating of you when the time comes?

England - what constitutes success - and on a more local level, do you think Slade or Burgess takes the last centre spot?

USA - Is what we're always hearing about a surge in the game's popularity over there true? Will any of you actually be following this?

Apologies if I've left your nation off, or an issue you want to chat about - but I guess that's the point of the thread!

I'm half way between looking forward to this a lot, and worrying about the added expectation that comes with being at home. Feel like there's more pressure on us this time than at any time since we won it in 2003 (and yes, I DID have to mention that somewhere in this post).

No one is beating New Zealand. That being said I've come to detest this game. It's so boring.

Squared
    Never, ever say that in the Welsh valleys. You'll be lucky to make it out alive.

So, I know that New Zealand annihilated Australia in the Bledisloe Cup, but does anyone (particularly any poster out there who doesn't despise the game!) think that away from home they can be beaten? Or is their victory just a fait accompli?

Well I don't plan on going there any time soon, so I think I'll be right! Irish people won't care right? Haha.

Well I didn't say despise... But no I don't see anyone beating them if they play even at 90% of their best.

I am just wondering how many rugby scores will be higher than the recent 1st Innings Australian Ashes score at Trent Bridge.

Call me pessimistic, but I don't give us more than half a chance to get out of the group stage. Looking ahead to the route to the final though, if all the games go the way they should, the winner of Group A gets a cushy half of the draw with Ireland, Argentina and Samoa. If we could win the group, we'd go all the way. And then get smashed by New Zealand in the final. Or get smashed by South Africa in the final. Or get smashed by Australia in the final. Or get screwed over by France in the semi-final again.

Squared
    A few scores will probably outdo the Ashes test performance.

I know a few Welsh people saying the same kind of thing, Sheep. But to be honest I am not full of confidence that England will beat Wales either.

Hoping to win the group after what you've said, though. Would back England at home to reach a third final if they got into that half of the draw.

Squared
    I imagine everyone in Wales has everything crossed regarding the health of Webb and Halfpenny. I don't know about the latter, but the odds for the former don't sound too good.

Good win for England over Ireland. Not a tragedy for Ireland though, as they'll be a week or two behind England in the preparation given their easier group/start. More about confidence for England than anything, while Ireland will still know that they are maybe looking at their best shot at a semi-final to date.

Hmm, didn't realise this was starting soon.

I'll see if I can catch some of it.

Surprisingly few Aussies care about this, Sydney is league, most other places are AFL. Little love for Union here

That being said, if the wallabies are doing well we aren't, I'll cop some abuse

Squared
    Yeah, I've noticed that. When I said 'mainly Aussies' in the post above, I was guessing based on the number of Aussies on the forum rather than any great love they have for the game!

If we had plenty of Kiwis around I imagine this place would be buzzing... oh well. Just have to hope this place becomes the place where the Welsh (I think the only other country where the game is the national sport) can pour out their national anxieties.

Surprisingly? Come on 'Bear. We only care about three sports. And this isn't one of them. We already like one sport that's primarily kick kick kick and that takes a hell of a lot more skill than this. We'll never like union. That being said, if we go well and the kiwis get eliminated than perhaps the country will get into it.

Well, crap. Our odds have significantly worsened since I last posted. It's probably my fault. I bought tickets to see Wales v Fiji the day before we played Italy. I put a hex on the team. I guess I'll have to revise my prediction. I'm now guessing that we'll score more points than we concede. That's as much as we can hope for.

Meanwhile, the "Principality" Stadium?? Ugh. If it wasn't the greatest stadium in the world, and the last 16 years of history (sporting and cultural) hadn't been so awesome in it, I could see the name being half-decent. Kinda like the Emirates Stadium. Name it that from the start and build the history with that name. But it's too late for a sponsorship now. It'll always be the Millennium Stadium to me. But I digress. Needed to rant.

Squared
    I don't think it needs to be terminal for Wales. Its a blow, certainly. But I still won't be taking the game against Wales lightly.

I did see a former Welsh international say that Gethin being in the front row is a bigger problem than any missing player....

Squared
    Funny old opener. England start well, Fiji come back at them and they let the game drift. Then they up the ante and nick the bonus point in the last minute.

It's either an early warning that we're going to be poor, or that final try is either the moment we dodge a bullet and get on a decent run. No way of telling until we play Australia and/or Wales, I guess. Can't imagine Wales are looking forward to playing Fiji though, given the number of turnovers they forced against England.

Japan. That is all.

Squared
    I'm glad someone else said that. If no one had posted about a result that incredible I think I'd have had to let the thread die!

Remarkable performance. Heroic, really. When I saw the Japanese players at the end of the game, exhausted and crying just at the emotion of it all... it was one of those sporting moments I'll never forget. And with Fiji pushing England and Georgia turning Tonga, I think it may be a sign that Rugby is becoming a genuine 'world' game, rather than a 'commonwealth' one - it looks as if, though we're not quite at the 'anyone can beat anyone' stage, we're getting to a place where even the most remarkable upsets are possible.

Where's Cliff gone?!?
    Amazing stuff, it really was. I wouldn't have called it in a million years. I am honestly struggling to think of any upset on an international stage to match that. You'd half expect it in football but in rugby things are usually more routine in terms of expectation.

And Japan were brilliant. They threw everything at it, werent content with a respectable 3 point gap and got their rewards. When they started moving the ball out left after almost getting in at the right I thought they would run out of gas but they caught SA completely off guard and throttled it home.

Great start to this world cup!

For a sport that I don't particularly follow apart from Six Nations and World Cup, boy did I yell the moment they went over in the 84th minute. The only nearest comparison was when Bolt snatched victory last month against Gatlin.

They were absolutely incredible throughout the match, but I think the moment they won was funnily enough when SA decided to just kick it to open the 3 point gap towards the end. Incredibly negative play there. The fact that Japan then had the same situation 5 minutes later and decided to kick into touch to try and get the full 5 points shows how gutsy there were. They could have had a very easy kick and a massively creditable draw against one of the best teams in the world, but instead they created history and won probably the most memorable rugby game in recent memory.

Will be interesting how much they improve by the next world cup on home soil. At this rate, I wouldn't put it past them to reach semis. As for England, decent start. Lots to improve on no doubt, but the bonus point may very well make all the difference.

Squared
    Yeah, injuries will be key, between who can come in and howthey play and who recovers. Liam Williams is touch and go for England, I think. With Samson Lee in the same position and Allan out of the tournament, they need to make sure whoever they pick fronts up.

Squared
    Almost game on. Nervous, to say the least.

Where's Cliff gone?!?
    That was some finish. Great comeback from Wales but England will be sick they did not win that.

Squared
    Yep. You've got to credit the Welsh guts to stay in it and turn it around, but England lost it through indiscipline and poor decision making. Could have been out of sight by 50 minutes and let the Welsh off the hook so many times.

Dunno what the best case scenario is for England now.

Waaaaleeeessss!!!!!!

Squared
    OK, so having crunched a few numbers it's actually not too different a situation in some respects.

Obviously, the big difference is that now we've got to beat Australia to give ourselves a fighting chance. That's not impossible, but we'll need to give away fewer penalties and, if we do get ahead, make sure we kill the game off. Big ask for the players to lift themselves, but at least they know their destiny is in their own hands.

If, however, they can beat Australia, and they pick up the bonus point against Uruguay, then everything is still possible. Obviously if Wales were to romp home from here then with a win against the Aussies England would qualify in second.

More interesting, though, is the possibility thrown up by the Australians losing to England but beating Wales. In that case, England could still theoretically top the group on bonus points, if I'm not mistaken? England would have 15 points in that case. Australia would need to score 4 tries against Wales to make it to 15 points, while Wales would need 4 tries against Fiji and to lose by 7 or fewer against Australia. There's a slim possibility that England can sneak through the maths there.

Last but not least, there's the unlikely scenario involving Wales losing to Fiji given the injuries in their backline. If Wales lose to Fiji, with England beating them and getting a bonus point and then also getting the point from the Wales game, the Welsh are back to square one against Australia.

Basically, there's a hell of a lot of maths to do. All it really comes down to thus far is that England have their destiny in their own hands and need to defy the odds, turn it around quickly, and beat Australia. Easier said than done, mind - and by throwing the game away they've made things much harder for themselves.

Let's all get behind the Wallabies.

For tomorrow's match? Sure! Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!

I was crunching the numbers just now, trying to figure out if there's a way that Wales could qualify top of the group based solely on their superior world ranking. Unfortunately, no matter how much I skew the results, it's impossible. The closest I can get is to have all three teams finish on 15pts with England beating Australia and Australia beating Wales.

• The first tiebreaker will be awarded to the winner of the matches in which they played each other. Still tied.
    • The next tiebreaker goes to the Team which has the best difference between points scored for and points scored against in all its pool Matches. In my scenario, we're all stuck on 57pts difference. Still tied.
    • The next tiebreaker goes to the Team which has the best difference between tries scored for and tries scored against in all its pool Matches. We're all still tied with a tries difference of 12.
    • The next tiebreaker goes to the Team which has scored most points in all its pool Matches. Australia, Wales and England would STILL be tied on something like 130pts scored.
    • The next tiebreaker goes to the Team which has scored most tries in all its pool Matches. This is where Wales get screwed. Right at the final hurdle. We didn't score enough tries against Fiji or Uruguay. The second best team in the world gets knocked out of the group of death by the fifth tiebreaker. There's still nothing to choose between the Aussies and the Poms.

Should the tie be unresolved at the conclusion of steps 1 through 5, the rankings as per the updated Official World Rugby World Rankings on October 12, 2015 will determine the higher ranked Team. Australia take top place in the group, and England take the second berth because Australia are 3rd in the world and England are 6th.

Squared
    Ha, it's usually when you lose that you have to start putting in those kind of permutations, Sheep. Like Bonus point maths that we've been doing.

Obviously I'm biased, but it's better for the tournament, and the game more broadly, if England win tonight. Yeah, I know that basically leaves them needing just a bonus point win against Uruguay to basically guarantee they'll be through, so it looks like self-interest in my saying that. But this is already shaping up as one of the best Pools in the history of the RWC, and if it went down to the final round of games, with England needing to score tries and Wales/Australia in a titanic clash - following on from what's already happened it'd be a shoe-in for the best group ever, IMO. The quality of Fiji, who currently still have no points, just says it all really - and it's their denying Australia and Wales bonus points that has really brought the Pool to life. England need to do their bit tonight now to make this whole thing legendary.

I don't really believe that's going to happen though, if I'm honest. I feared Wales could beat us, but I expect Australia to do it, so there's a difference and a certain resignation. England can beat Australia but nothing I've seen (from either side) really makes me think that they look ready to do it. I've got the colours on, and will watch - if we're going to go out, then I'm going to show my support right to the end. But I'm preparing myself in anticipation of the worst.

Surely England will be too desperate. Losing will be a national disgrace.

I fucking have to wake up at 5am on a Sunday for this (I don't particularly like Union), so we better send you Poms packing.

Squared
    Nah, it won't be taken THAT badly. It would cost Lancaster his job and there'd be some hand-wringing within our game, but national disgrace? Anyone here that uses that phrase will be mocked for the melodrama.

You don't deserve to host then. Close it down, tournament over!

Have a sneaky suspicion we'll win tonight, then inexplicably score only three tries against Uruguay...

Squared
    It'd be far more like England to lose tonight then score 90 when it is meaningless.

Where's Cliff gone?!?
    Wow, there are a lot of permutations in terms of who can do what in that group. Will all be fairly academic if England don't win tonight.

I think this England team is too good not to have every chance of winning this. If they can find that top gear, they can score lots of tries. When they really have to up their game they can score for fun, I think of the France match at the end of the six nations as an example. But Australia is still Australia and if England start going all out for scores, the Aussies could pick the holes. I think the first 30 mins will be very interesting. Are England going to really push the Aussies or maybe patiently look to get in front?

Cracking game coming up I reckon!

Squared
    Well, pressure off in about an hour and a half either way. Either we are most of the way there or there is no need to worry anymore.

Edit: might have conceded a try twice in the first 6 minutes.