Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Crouch, Bind, Set - The Rugby Union Thread

Squared
    Cardiff on a match-day evening can be quite an 'experience'. I'm not sure which is worse, when they've won or lost. Either way it's a bit of a zoo.

France v Wales does sound like a tasty one. I was reading somewhere that North is moving into the middle with the task of stopping big Mathieu Bastereaud, which sounds an interesting proposition.

Shinobi
    I remember watching Wales play France a few years ago, and I think it was the first time they'd played a 6 Nations game on a Friday night. Bastereaud was up against Jamie Roberts, I think; Roberts put him down with one of the biggest hits I've ever seen.

Should be a top match and a top atmosphere. Although, my girlfriend is Welsh...

anonymous
    I am convulsing

*becomes insufferable*

Squared
    By the time the French got going, the game was virtually over. A few brief flashes from their backs but the Welsh dominated up front and it's always difficult then.

Not helped, of course, by their inability to find a team-mate when they did spray the ball around.

anonymous
    Well done to the English as well. Wide open tournament now.

If we beat the English next week, I think we'll win the tournament. If they beat us, I think they have a good chance. That loss will hurt the Irish who I struggle to see winning it now.

...except that they've got a 21pt lead over everyone else.

Ireland - 42pt difference
    England - 21pt difference
    Wales - 5pt difference

So even if we beat England, they're playing Italy in Dublin. That'll almost certainly be a big haul of points for them. And 30-3 victories don't happen every year.

It would be good if France could get a lucky win against the Irish, but they won't because they're rubbish in the Stade de France. So we're going to have to thrash Scotland in Cardiff to have any chance.

Squared
    I think the pts difference is too much for Wales now. They would have to win it outright.

If Wales don't turn up at Twickenham, England might be able to turn it around. But it seems unlikely.

#ThankYouBrian

Squared
    I think that's probably the right result. Ireland over England... but not by much. I can live with that... although I wouldn't have taken it when the French sub was lining up to take that (ultimately woeful) penalty!

Pleased enough with our performance today. There's often a bit of a tendency to be disappointed when you don't make a points chase like that, but taken out of context any 52-11 win away from home in this tournament has to be considered a great result.

Squared
    Apologies for the double post, but I thought it had to be worth giving this a bump rather than starting a new thread.

We normally get our 4-5 people in here, but perhaps we'll get more traffic as it is a world cup year.

Very impressive second half for England on Friday night. Safe to say that the two on Saturday were more 'for the purists'. Interesting to see if Wales can recover going to Murrayfield, and whether they'll stick with Plan A or if more of their flair players will get a game.

Anyway, talk about the Six Nations 2015, people!

For the first 40 minutes Wales looked like world beaters. For the second they looked like the pressure had got to them. Forever bottlers. Credit to England for showing us how to play with an inexperienced team. They produced some brilliant stuff.

Now I'm going to support Ireland & France against England in the hope of throwing the tournament wide open.

Squared
    Good to see you back Nony.

I thought Wales look great for the first ten, but the be honest I thought the teams looked very evenly matched for the next half hour. It was almost as if they thought the job was done, and having took their foot off the gas, they couldn't get it back.

I think England will fancy their chances at home against France after the first round of games. I know it's early days, but England v Ireland in Dublin is shaping up as a massive game.

Wales like to be underdogs. Looking the first game could be the best thing that happened to them. No more complacency. That last game of Wales vs Ireland could genuinely decide between 3 teams.

I am still stunned as to how good England were though. They upped their game considerably. If they can do it on a Tuesday night in Stoke ( Friday night against wales) they'll be the favourites from now.

Ireland will be up there too.

Squared
    Yeah - the thing is, that most of these sides are still capable of beating each other, depending on the day. I think Wales need to react well against Scotland at Murrayfield, though. If the Scots make the improvements that people have been suggesting they are capable of, and Wales lose their first two, they could end up finishing 5th. Win the next one, and if other results go for them they could win the tournament. Not like they got pasted by England, even with that second half display.

If I had to pick right now, I'd go with Ireland - home advantage over England being decisive. But I hope I'm wrong, knowing what happened a few months after the last time England got a Grand Slam....

Ugh. We look weak. Scotland look very dangerous.

Scotland have blown it now.....

Ireland/England will be the decisive match, but I can't see the Irish folding in Dublin. On this evidence, Wales wont trouble the Irish, and the French are as erratic as ever. Scotland are a decent team at home, but always seem to struggle elsewhere....

Squared
    No, I don't see the Irish losing in Dublin either. Wasn't massively impressed with them this weekend, but have a feeling they've got 1-2 more gears that they can go through - and they always seem to against us, sadly.

I'd predict:

Ireland
    England
    France
    Wales
    Scotland
    Italy.

Going out on a limb, I know....

As you've done it Pete...I'll go

Ireland
    England
    Wales
    France
    Scotland
    Italy.

Disappointingly similar I know. But I do think Wales vs Ireland in Wales could change all that. If Ireland play badly, the top 3 are very interchangeable. France haven't shown me enough to say they're a real threat this year. I don't think they'll trouble the teams above them. If we lose to France, I'll feel worse than I did about the loss to England.

Squared
    Hmm... on paper, the top three are interchangeable. I've not seen enough from Wales on the field in the two games to put them in the same bracket as Ireland and England. But their first XV, on their day, are a match.

Still, I guess if they find some form they are capable of turning Ireland in Cardiff. I guess as a Welsh fan you've got to be optimistic that they can do that. But given the formbook and recent history in the fixture, I'm backing Ireland until Wales show me a bit more. I also figure that France in Paris might have enough to beat Wales. If it were in Cardiff, I'd reverse that order.

As a Welsh fan, I'm pessimistic as hell. The above is my heart talking above my head.

Also, if we do badly, Gatland will be sacked/murdered , Adam Jones will be recalled and we'll win the World Cup so all will be well.

Out of interest did you get any tickets?

Squared
    For the world cup? Yeah, for one of the Australia games in the group stage.

You?

Wales vs Fiji, Wales vs Uruguay and Japan vs Samoa. Though since finding out Diego Forlan doesn't play rugby, I'm less excited.

I fully expect a southern hemisphere win. I would support any of the 6 nations above New Zealand or South Africa.

I was interested in World Cup tickets, but they were 50 for the average group games, out of my price range unfortunately.

Good to see the Welsh team starting a scuffle to burn the clock at the end of the game yesterday, good heel move!

Squared
    Interesting. Wales and Fiji should have a good atmosphere, in particular.

Wasn't massively impressed with any of the winning teams at the weekend, so I think the next round it'll be all about who improves the most.

An excellent weekend in the 6 Nations. My dreams of beating Ireland in 2 weeks and thumping Italy to win the tournament are well and truly alive.

Squared
    Yeah, if I was a neutral I'd probably agreed with you.

Slightly annoyed that the only match I called right was the one I wanted to get wrong... still, the best team won. No point griping about it.

Wales v Ireland looks pretty tempting, now.

Wales woke up from their coma this weekend and decided to play like a rugby team. Ireland have been excellent for large chunks of the tournament and deserve to win. They look like the best team. Which means they probably won't somehow.

Scotland are still receiving rotten luck. They should have beaten Wales and Italy. They should be fighting towards the middle/better teams. And I wouldn't put it past them beating England or Ireland and throwing everything wide open. They'll be pumped for the England game.

France are poor. This is the poorest French team I've seen in years. I see them struggling in the World Cup.

Squared
    I think it happens too often to Scotland for it to be luck. There is something there more than that.

Looking forward to the Ireland and Wales match. Should be brilliant for the neutral. I expect your nerves with will be shredded that morning, nony.

Where's Cliff gone?!?
    Huge match this weekend. Half the country now will be making Paddy's day a 4 day weekend with the Wales-Ireland match being the starting point!

Wales finding form at just the right time going into this one. Gatland would do anything to get a win over us here. Not to mention Wales have a habit of getting the better of us in the big games. The last world cup springs to mind. With Schmidt though I think Ireland will just have enough. A win puts Ireland odds on to get another grand slam. You'd fancy them to hold the nerve against Scotland, that's the great thing about Schmidt in these cases. If Wales win though the momentum could swing back their way and they could go on to hammer Italy. England will be in the running too in that case and will be looking to rack up as many scores as they can against Scotland.

What a huge boost getting the grand slam would be for Ireland though going into the world cup.

Squared
    You'd have to give them a real shot of winning the whole thing if they were to slam. I reckon Wales would probably feel confident about taking it were they to come back and get the title, too. England will obviously fancy it with home advantage.

Lots of competition for the Southern hemisphere big-boys this time around, potentially.

I'll be watching Wales and Ireland this weekend... and not just a distraction from the Villa-Sunderland game.

Where's Cliff gone?!?
    What a contest. Hugely disappointing if you're an Ireland fan but Wales gave one of the great defensive displays of the modern game today. Payne-Henshaw found a little wanting. Just didn't have the experience on the day.

Wide open now for the win. I'd still fancy Ireland on points difference. England have a great chance of beating France but I reckon Ireland could take Scotland to the cleaners. Might be a little too much for Wales but they'll be well up for it after that win today.

Let the permutations begin!

Squared
    I think England and Ireland can both do it. England have a pretty major advantage in going second and knowing what has to be done. If Ireland do take Scotland to task (never a guarantee at Murrayfield, especially with the Scots playing to avoid the wooden spoon), then England can still come out roaring and try and take it home.

So yes, given where the fixtures are played, I think it could go either way still. Too close to call.

Wales are possibly out of it, given they have to make up 25 points on England even before they start and their match is away from home. Probably relying on a surprise pair of defeats in the other two. However, they've done themselves a power of good with a fantastic win. I still think they are the third best team in the tournament, but they showed you how on the right day a gutsy performance can turn a better side. Some of the defending was absolutely heroic.

Where's Cliff gone?!?
    This is some day of Rugby....

Seconded. Brilliant so far, hopefully even better if England do it and get the Points Differential high enough.

Where's Cliff gone?!?
    I'll be very much rooting for France!

'Hon the Irish!

Shit day. Fuck Rugby. That's what the Welsh man in me is saying.

The 6 nations withdrawal symptoms next week will be even worse though.

In all honesty, this is probably my favourite 6 nations in a while. The competitiveness, the games and the drama has been non-stop. England , Ireland and Wales all go to the World Cup looking brilliant on their day but beatable on others. That could lead to some fun. I'll never forget last week being at stadium vs Ireland. It was incredible. As was the France game . England fans probably feel like that about the Wales match.

It's been an amazing tournament.

But right now, Fuck rugby.

Where's Cliff gone?!?
    On what planet are England scoring 41 points against France after 54 mins? Unbelievable

This is incredible. You'd fancy England to go on and do this now. 10 more points

Great effort by Wales today. To be fair, they set the bar for whats been possibly the best day ever in the 6 Nations!

Edit: Sweet Jesus...
    Last edited by Shee; 03-21-2015 at 03:32 PM.

It's looks like the top 3 are almost confirmed. I do think Ireland deserve to win and were the best team throughout.

Where's Cliff gone?!?
    Ireland win!!!

I'm on the verge of being carted off to A&E after that.....you will never see anything like that again!

Squared
    Congrats to Ireland.

Brave display from England going forward but they let in 1-2 tries that they never should have done, and ultimately it's cost them.

Still, Ireland are a more solid side - and solid sides usually win the tournament Hard to argue with the result. Just have to sit back and marvel at how close it's all been.