Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Musical 'Pick One' game

Probably the clash but I'm not overly fond of either.

Black Sabbath - masters of reality

Or

Black Sabbath - paranoid?

There the only two I have by them. I think I prefer masters in its entirety but paranoid has some great tracks.

I'm a fan of Paranoid personally. Let's do some soundtracks

Singles Soundtrack

Vs

Footloose Soundtrack

Squared
    Singles, for me. Probably not a surprise given some of the stuff I've been listing so far.

Deep Purple

or

Rainbow?

Deep Purple. Can never replace the fact that Smoke on the Water was the very first rock song my dad played me when I was 5.

Time for that one classic question:
    Beatles
    Or
    The Stones

Squared
    Wow, Ok. We're going there.

Y'know, I've thought about this one a lot, and I always come back to The Beatles. That's not just because I live in Liverpool now and I'd be fucked if they found out I'd said The Stones. But I love both bands and have listened to pretty much their entire catalogues, and the one conclusion I have come to is that The Rolling Stones were a great R&B covers band, who became a great Rock band as they evolved. Whereas The Beatles can't be labelled anywhere as easily, and if you look at the way people wrote songs before and after Lennon/McCartney, there's a clear impact on popular music that I don't think is matched by many others. Whether it's the catchy guitar pop of the early to mid sixties, the rockier cuts of things like Helter Skelter, or the proto-concept albums of things like Sgt Pepper and Abbey Road, I think the reach is pretty mindblowing.

Now, with that said I'm going to turn around and give a choice between two of the best Rolling Stones albums. Because I'm a contrarian like that.

Beggar's Banquet (1968)

or

Let it Bleed (1969)

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    Wow, Ok. We're going there.

Y'know, I've thought about this one a lot, and I always come back to The Beatles. That's not just because I live in Liverpool now and I'd be fucked if they found out I'd said The Stones. But I love both bands and have listened to pretty much their entire catalogues, and the one conclusion I have come to is that The Rolling Stones were a great R&B covers band, who became a great Rock band as they evolved. Whereas The Beatles can't be labelled anywhere as easily, and if you look at the way people wrote songs before and after Lennon/McCartney, there's a clear impact on popular music that I don't think is matched by many others. Whether it's the catchy guitar pop of the early to mid sixties, the rockier cuts of things like Helter Skelter, or the proto-concept albums of things like Sgt Pepper and Abbey Road, I think the reach is pretty mindblowing.
    I think that is quite a good summary of the difference between the two. Early on in each of their careers I would have said Stones but the Beatles really evolved into something quite experimental whereas The Stones more or less kept playing around, albeit playing around very well, in the same wheel house.

As for the question I would have to go with Let It Bleed, for me Gimmie Shelter is just about my favourite Stones song and I also rate You Can't Always Get What You Want pretty highly.

Beatles Time

Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
    or
    Revolver

Squared
    I'm a bit of a heretic on Sgt Pepper, and Revolver is one of my favourite albums, so yeah, Revolver for me.

Couple of weighty ones there so we'll have a silly one to mix things up.

Alien Ant Farm's cover of Smooth Criminal

or

Fall Out Boy's cover of Beat it

Alien Ant Farm's cover of Smooth Criminal. I liked Movies as well by them. Completely forgot they even existed.

Linkin Park

or

Limp bizkit?

Squared
    Ha. Like being a teenager again. I still have quite nostalgic feelings about both of these even though Bizkit in particular are so dated it's a bit painful.

If I had to pick one thing by either of them it'd be Significant Other by Limp Bizkit, but if you're taking the band overall I'd probably have Linkin Park.

Another big dividing line in that period

KoRn

or

Deftones

I'm going KoRn for this one. I like that they have a bit of funk mixed in with the rock. Saw Deftones years ago at a Monsters of Rock with oddly enough Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park, with Metallica headlining. Just thought Deftones were noise. Didn't really get into them at all.

Let's go a little bit more new school rock.

Volbeat

or

Avenged Sevenfold.

Saw them both open for Metallica this year as well. Enjoyed Volbeat a lot more, but perhaps A7X were just having a bad night.

I looked up a couple of songs by both and I gotta say I prefer Avenged Sevenfold. I'd heard of them both before, but never really bothered with either. Still don't feel like I'm missing much. Metallica would kick both there asses at the same fkin time.

Time for a change of tune.

Dr Dre

or

Eminem??

I think they're both masterful rappers but Eminem can get a bit childish occasionally. I'm not sure what I'd choose. I know without Dre there'd be no Eminem but still.

Damn, that takes me back to being a young teenager full of youthful aggression and anger and boy did Eminem know how to connect with that. Then again would you have Eminem if it wasn't for Dre standing behind him? Still it was Eminem I tried to dress like, cut my hair like, rap like and it was his CDs I was trying to hide from my parents.

Still rappers:

Jay Z
    or
    Snoop

Snoop easily. Can't stand Jay "The only reason anyone cares is because I banged beyonce" Z. He just plain doesn't do any good songs.

D12

or

Insane Clown Posse

It's an easy choice for me as I personally never liked ICP. They're just dumb.

Squared
    I don't know much about rap, but I know enough to know that you never, ever take ICP.

I'd have probably had Jay-Z about Snoop for what it's worth - but then as I say, I don't know rap beyond a handful of songs.

The summer of 1995's battle of britpop all over again.

Blur 'Country House'

or

Oasis, 'Roll With It'

In general I prefer Oasis but with those songs I'd say my preferences is Country House, just more memorable for me but still not as good as my favourite Oasis songs Don't Look Back in Anger and Live Forever.

Cover Version Time:

My favourite song of all time is All Along The Watchtower and one of the reasons I love it is because of how many ways it has been performed or interpreted so there is a fair list here:

Original Bob Dylan
    or
    Jimi Hendrix Experience
    or
    U2
    or
    The Dave Matthews Band
    or
    The Fratellis
    or
    Bear McCreary (Battlestar Gallactica version)
    or
    Any other version you may be fond of - the bloke at my local pub does a pretty decent version.

Nobody messes with Hendrix.

Nikki minaj

Or

Lana del ray

Both, I must add, are very attractive. That has nothing to do with the music.

Squared
    Well this one has gone quiet so I'll just take one to move things on. I don't know Lana Del Ray's stuff, but I actively dislike Nikki Minaj's music. So I'll go LDR by defeault.

Ageing Pop Punk stars

Blink-182

or

The Offspring

Feel free to either include or ignore their 'growing old disgracefully' periods when making your decisions.

Ugh pop punk. I guess I will go with Blink 182 simply because they were the reasons for one of the first mosh pits I remember being in, at a school disco of all places.

I'll keep the high school rock (well at least for when I was at High School) theme going:
    My Chemical Romance
    OR
    Fallout Boy

MCR just for Welcome To The Black Parade.

Best debut single -

The Killers - Mr. Brightside

vs

The Arctic Monkeys - I bet you look good on the dancefloor.

Caveat, I know neither were truly their first singles....but don't be pedantic and have a go at the question!

Ugh, Fall Out Boy have to be one of the worst live bands ever!

Killers, all day everyday. One of my favorite bands.

OK, back to hard rock

Bon Scott AC/DC

or

Brian Johnson AC/DC

Squared
    That's a tough call. Bon Scott had more of an effortless cool, but Johnson has more energy.

I think Johnson, as much because I am using the Back in Black album as a tiebreaker.

Monster by The Automatic

Or

Everyday I Love you Less and Less by Kaiser Chiefs.

I always thought these sounded a bit similar.

I think I'd have to go with The Kaiser Chiefs Everyday I Love You Less and Less but they do sound incredibly similar . I think the singers are quite similar but the drums are almost uncanny in how they sound and the rhythm seems to be pretty similar too.

New Wave folk time
    Bon Iver
    Or
    Fleet Foxes

Squared
    Fleet Foxes

Two bands who came out around the same time.

The Hives

Or

The Vines

Gotta go with the Aussies The Vines

Two more Aussie bands from a similar time.

Jet

Or

Wolfmother

Squared
    Wolfmother. Really liked the first album. Jet were always just a catchy single to me.

Jimi Hendrix, Are You Experienced

vs

Jimi Hendrix, Electric Ladyland

Ah man, I know this response is going to be left in the dirt, but I only have the greatest hits. I looked up which album "Little Wing" was on and it wasn't on either. It was on Bold as Love.

"Little Wing" is one of my favorite guitar tracks ever. The solo is piss, anyone could play it, but the fucking actual tune is impossible. If you can even call it "rhythm" or whatever.

jimi Hendrix man, Jesus incarnate.

I pick Jesus but only because he could play drums as well. And all that stuff about saving me from sins as well I guess.

Fleetwood Mac
    OR
    The Eagles

Squared
    Fleetwood Mac. Never had much time for The Eagles. Fleetwood Mac are a bit overrated outside of a couple of years but y'know, it's still a great couple of years.

I'm going to take it back to rap music, even though it's outside my comfort zone.

Public Enemy

or

N.W.A.

NWA all the way. Public enemy were too caught up in politics and didn't make as good music.

Metallica or Megadeth?

Age old question.

Metallica, I haven't listened to heaps but what I have heard of Megadeath is just a little too much for me while Metallica are on the good side of blowing up my speakers and ears. Songs like Fade To Black just build so perfectly and then you have just the balls to the walls songs too. They aren't my favourite but I feel like Metallica could rightfully claim to be the greatest rock band since 1980 - the age I would dub modern rock.

Would be happy for some Megadeath suggestions though if anyone has some.

On that note of greatest rock bands

Metallica
    or
    Led Zeppelin

Squared
    Some people will hate me for this but Zeppelin and it's not particularly close.

Your band needs a new guitarist. Two people apply. So you have to choose:

Jeff Beck

Or

Eric Clapton?

I'm more of a Metallica fan myself, but their early albums. To me they were perfection while Megadeth was, and always have been, trying to reach that.

I don't even like Zeppelin so this is easy for me. Metallica would kick their ass and all the crappy (I'm gonna puke I hate it so bad) folk shit Zeppelin did.

Pantera or Metallica.

This one should be closer.

Edit: Eric Clapton.

Squared
    Posting at the same time. So I will say Metallica - but it is closer. I might have preferred Pantera but for circumstances as much as anything I know Metallica better and they've been a bigger presence in my life generally.

More metal.

American Head Charge

Or

Fear Factory

EDIT: Have I killed this with my metal picks? Feel free to reboot this to anyone who checks it out.
    Last edited by Prime Time; 10-23-2017 at 01:48 PM.

I go with Metallica in the battle with Pantera, also. I like a lot of Pantera, but I frankly dislike probably just as much. To the contrary, I actually like almost every Metallica song I've ever heard on some level. Shocking, ain't it?

I go with Fear Factory over American Head Charge. I'm not super familiar with either but I did buy a couple of FF albums back in the day and used to rock them semi-regularly. Never really heard much from AHC that I could sink my teeth into, though I was perhaps just not listening to the right songs.

How about this one.

Marilyn Manson

or

Nine Inch Nails

Sam, here are your Megadeth suggestions, as requested. I'm a big fucking Megadeth fan. Just gonna hit you with ones I think you may enjoy based upon prior responses, not an exhaustive personal favorites list.

Given that you like Metallica, you'd probably enjoy Megadeth's Youthanasia album. It was basically their equivalent of Metallica's "Black" album, at least as far as sound goes. Very polished, not as thrashy, really fucking good. I especially recommend A Tout Le Monde, Addicted to Chaos, I Thought I Knew It All and Reckoning Day. The entire album is great, though, and definitely worth a listen as a whole.

Also, 99 Ways to Die, Angry Again, Symphony of Destruction, Foreclosure of a Dream, Sweating Bullets, Countdown to Extinction, Trust, Almost Honest, Secret Place, Dread and the Fugitive Mind, 1000 Times Goodbye and The Scorpion.

That's a pretty good starter set. Let me know what you thought, especially of the Youthanasia stuff.

26 letters... 26 columns... 26 days...

Manson vs NIN is a tough one, as both have had huge hits, and both are hugely creative in what they do. I'm going to have to go with Trent and NIN just on the sake of who I'd pick up first to listen to. I enjoy MORE of the NIN catalogue I guess then I do of Manson, but I give props to both of them for continuing to reinvent their music.

Let's shift gears a little bit shall we?

Lionel Richie

Or

Luther Vandross

Squared
    Surprised no one had a go at this. But Petey loves Lionel. Well, certainly likes, anyway.

I have no idea why this one has popped into my head but let's try it on for size.

Snow, Informer

Or

Shaggy, Boombastic

!!!

Informer. All day. Every day. I legit dig the fuck out of that song and think it deserves better than its legacy has given it. Not sure why it's viewed as such a huge joke, as it's pretty much based on a true story. It's basically only hated on because Snow is white.

Staying in that vein, though...

Ice Ice Baby by Vanilla Ice

or

You Can't Touch This by MC Hammer

There is a correct answer to this query, for the record.

26 letters... 26 columns... 26 days...

Well, for me the correct answer is MC Hammer, because Vanilla Ice ripped off Queen and that is entirely unacceptable, plus the Hammer Dance is A-Maz-Ing!

Staying old school....

Dexy's Midnight Runner "Come on Eileen"

or

A-ha's "Take On Me"

I can say without hesitation that I will go with Take on Me.
    It is one I would consider a perfect pop song,insanely catchy tune and impressive vocal delivery you just want to sing along with (even if you can't quite hit the high notes).

Along that theme of perfect pop songs
    Call Me Maybe - Charly Rae Jepson
    Or
    Shake it off - Taylor Swift

Also Steve thanks for the Megadeath suggestions. I'm still going through them all but am enjoying what I've heard. I won't give you my full thoughts because music like theres takes me multiple listens to get on top of.

Someone else likes call me maybe? Fuck. I thought I was the only one. Jepsen is fucking hot too.

Clutch - the regulator

Nate Dogg and warren g - regulators.

Just to confuse the shit out of people.