Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Musical 'Pick One' game

Squared

Musical 'Pick One' game

I'm sure you'll have played something like this before. The rules are pretty straightforward. You offer two choices in a similar category (song, singer, album, instrument, whatever, so long as the next person can make a straight choice between them) - you then take your choice and post two more for the next poster to have a go.

I'll start us off in the glory days of grunge.

Nirvana, Nevermind (1991)

or

Pearl Jam, Ten (1991)

Go!

Fuck, that's hard. I love both albums.

I gotta go with Pearl Jam's Ten, though. At the time it meant more to me. Nevermind took awhile to grow on me, to be honest. I didn't really appreciate and love the entire album, top to bottom, until I was in, like, my mid-20s. Ten, on the other hand, immediately became one of my favorites from the first time I heard it around 1994 or so.

We'll stay in the same year of 1991, a somewhat deceptively epic year for music. These two were released within just about a month of each other, which is fucking crazy to think about.

Use Your Illusion I & II by Guns n' Roses

or

Metallica (The Black Album) by Metallica

Use Your Illusion I & II by Guns n' Roses, easily. The black album is when Metallica stopped really being metal.

Job For A Cowboy - DOOM

vs.

Suicide Silence - The Cleansing.

If you don't know these bastards look them up, they're both certified heavy metal geniuses. Even though they're fucking hard to listen to...

I probably just killed this thread... lolz

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post

Nirvana, Nevermind (1991)

or

Pearl Jam, Ten (1991)
    This is easy, Pearl Jam 10. I may be the only guy who was 17 years old when Nevermind came out that didn't like and still doesn't like Nirvana. Overrated and forced martyrdom. Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, and Soundgarden have always been better then Nirvana. Just b/c you are "first' doesn't make you the best.

Quote Originally Posted by YourAyatollah View Post

Use Your Illusion I & II by Guns n' Roses

or

Metallica (The Black Album) by Metallica
    Again, easy. The Black Album. The only "problem" with the Black album is that Enter Sandman has become so cliche now, that I still really can't listen to that one song, except live in concert. Metallica is the best American Band of all time.

Let's go a little newer.

Shinedown or Breaking Benjamin. Both bands hit the scene around the same time with equally good music and are still making new records today.

After listening to both Doom by Job for a Cowboy and The Cleansing by Suicide Silence, I've gotta go with Doom. Neither are my personal flavor of metal, as I find the screaming both monotonous and annoying, but both bands were ripping it up. I simply preferred the more grooving Job for a Cowboy vibe over the "thrash on meth" vibe of Suicide Silence.

I also disagree about Metallica. As the the two bands posted illustrate, metal is far more than just one thing. I would argue that Metallica simply switched metal genres as opposed to switching genres outright and it wasn't the first time they'd done it. I would argue that they never actually fit into any one category, as Kill 'Em All featured heavy NWOBHM vibes right alongside the obvious thrash and that was carried on even further with Ride the Lightning. Puppets brought in a somewhat prog sensibility in areas alongside the previously mentioned two, and Justice was like a hybrid of thrash/prog/groove.

Sure, they simplified things with the Black Album (due to getting bored with playing the ridiculously long Justice title track and similarly wandering songs live), but to say they stopped being metal would be akin to saying that Sabbath weren't metal, as I honestly think that Black has a very "Sabbath by way of Motorhead" traditional metal vibe about it. I get the argument that they softened and could even see why people would get pissed over them going "commercial". What I don't understand, though, is how anyone could listen to Sad But True, Through the Never, Holier Than Thou, etc. and say that they're anything other than metal. Could any of those be Puppets of Justice outtakes? Hell no. But they're hard, they're heavy and they fuckin' groove.

On to the next.

I gotta go with Shinedown over Breaking Benjamin. Neither is really my style. I liked a couple of BB songs back in the day but none of them really stuck with me all that much. I dug the hell out of Shinedown dude's voice, though, and thus liked more of their songs. Though I still feel the best thing featuring him was the song he did with Apocalyptica, Not Strong Enough.

Here's a hopefully interesting one.

Blood Sugar Sex Magik by Red Hot Chili Peppers

or

Californication by Red Hot Chili Peppers

Blood Sugar Sex Magik for me. It's got a funkier vibe throughout the entire album that I prefer over Californication. RHCP are a personal favorite but they have mellowed a bit over the years. I dig their early stuff a lot.

OK, time for two of my all-time favorite Queensryche albums to have a go.

Operation: Mindcrime by Queensryche

vs.

Empire by Queensryche

Quote Originally Posted by YourAyatollah View Post
    After listening to both Doom by Job for a Cowboy and The Cleansing by Suicide Silence, I've gotta go with Doom. Neither are my personal flavor of metal, as I find the screaming both monotonous and annoying, but both bands were ripping it up. I simply preferred the more grooving Job for a Cowboy vibe over the "thrash on meth" vibe of Suicide Silence.

I also disagree about Metallica. As the the two bands posted illustrate, metal is far more than just one thing. I would argue that Metallica simply switched metal genres as opposed to switching genres outright and it wasn't the first time they'd done it. I would argue that they never actually fit into any one category, as Kill 'Em All featured heavy NWOBHM vibes right alongside the obvious thrash and that was carried on even further with Ride the Lightning. Puppets brought in a somewhat prog sensibility in areas alongside the previously mentioned two, and Justice was like a hybrid of thrash/prog/groove.

Sure, they simplified things with the Black Album (due to getting bored with playing the ridiculously long Justice title track and similarly wandering songs live), but to say they stopped being metal would be akin to saying that Sabbath weren't metal, as I honestly think that Black has a very "Sabbath by way of Motorhead" traditional metal vibe about it. I get the argument that they softened and could even see why people would get pissed over them going "commercial". What I don't understand, though, is how anyone could listen to Sad But True, Through the Never, Holier Than Thou, etc. and say that they're anything other than metal. Could any of those be Puppets of Justice outtakes? Hell no. But they're hard, they're heavy and they fuckin' groove.

On to the next.

I gotta go with Shinedown over Breaking Benjamin. Neither is really my style. I liked a couple of BB songs back in the day but none of them really stuck with me all that much. I dug the hell out of Shinedown dude's voice, though, and thus liked more of their songs. Though I still feel the best thing featuring him was the song he did with Apocalyptica, Not Strong Enough.

Here's a hopefully interesting one.

Blood Sugar Sex Magik by Red Hot Chili Peppers

or

Californication by Red Hot Chili Peppers
    You can pretty much blame JFAC for creating the genre Deathcore. I can't make my own mind up about who I prefer now that I think about it. I just wanted to see if anyone would listen to them lol. I think as a whole, JFAC are better but Suicide Silence have better singles. Deathcore isn't my favorite genre of metal, I like screaming but they kinda over do it. I'd say Sludge probably is. They have the harsh aspects like screaming etc but also do more melodic stuff too.

I would have thought I'd like melodic death metal more, but I find it too often just sounds kinda cheesy or poppy.

I guess you're essentially right about The Black Album, and I dig Sabbath a lot... but if I'd been around in the 80s listening to Metallica I would have found the Black Album heartbreaking. It's just not the same...

Blood sugar sex magik. I'm not even that found of funk, but that album is just awesome. Also, the melodic parts like "I could have Lied" and the outro to "Sir Psycho Sexy" are amazing.

I checked out Queensryche having never heard them before. I admit I didn't listen to both albums completely but from what I heard I think I preferred Mindcrime. The vocals remind me of very early Pantera. Not really my thing, to operatic.

Ok, instead of more albums how about this:

Guitar

or

Vocals???
    Last edited by The Dude; 09-29-2017 at 08:33 AM.

Squared
    Tough one. You don't need guitar as the lead instrument, but then if you've got good guitar you don't necessarily need vocals either. I'll take guitar, but it's a tough call.

Classic era.

Van Halen, Van Halen II (1979)

or

AC/DC, Highway to Hell (1979)

As an Australian I think I would be deported for not picking AC/DC but for real there are only a few bands I would pick over their perfectly simple hard rock. Not their best album by a long shot but I still really dig If You Want Blood and the burst of energy that is Get It Hot, Highway to Hell of course is one of those songs that is just an utter classic.

Rock n Roll
    or
    Black Dog

The opening tracks and two punchiest songs off Led Zeppelin IV, my fav album of all time.

Ew neither. Not a Zeppelin fan here.

Sweet home Alabama or Freebird by skynyrd?

Hahahaha fair enough. In the world of Jack Black though: "don't tell me you've never broke out the Zep?" What is it about Zeppelin you don't like?

As to your choice Free Bird for sure I think the only place Sweet Home wins out is in catchiness but in every other facet I would judge music by I'd pick Free Bird.

Since you said neither on Zeppelin I'll go with two songs from my current fav band Gang of Youths

Magnolia
    V
    What Can I Do If The Fire Goes Out

Their most popular older and pretty much their signature song against my favourite from their most recent album.

EDIT: Just looked at the general post history, I suspect I may get a neither for both of these options
    Last edited by SirSam; 09-30-2017 at 04:53 AM.

I just don't dig Zeppelins style. I like experimentation but I have never thought they pulled it off. Half their shit just pisses me off. Floyd though, they rule. Just like I think rage against the machine are completely over rated. Particularly the guitarist.

Squared
    Can't answer the newer one because I don't know them but will check them out.

You didn't get an answer for Zeppelin though, and I'm a fan of the first few albums, so I can jump in there. Rock N' Roll for me, even though Black Dog is the better riff.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    I just don't dig Zeppelins style. I like experimentation but I have never thought they pulled it off. Half their shit just pisses me off. Floyd though, they rule. Just like I think rage against the machine are completely over rated. Particularly the guitarist.
    Interesting, they do some weird stuff that sometimes doesn't exactly hit the mark but they also play some pretty straight down the line blues rock see Whole Lotta Love or Rock N Roll, they tend to be my favourites. Pink Floyd are for sure the better band when it comes to experimentation though, they have pulled of a stack of things Zeppelin never even tried like concept albums. As for Rage, I loved them far more when I was a teenager, the few times I've gone back to them I've found them far too repetitive in terms of their riffs, beats and lyrics.

Also Prime Time, you didn't pick two to choose between.

Squared
    I had left your gang of youths one. But if you want a choice....

Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon (1973)

Or

Pink Floyd, The Wall (1979)

Oh oops, I'll let it slide into the ether, they are an Aussie indie band that are slowly growing now, I actually think they are touring in the states at the moment or at least on their way there later this year. kind of a mix between Bruce Springsteen and U2 if I had to pick two bands.

To your pick I would have said The Wall 5 years ago but was recently listening to them again and I'd say Dark Side of the Moon has jumped ahead. While The Wall tells a good story I think Dark Side has more musical and lyrical depth. Particularly songs like Time and Breathe just smack me in the face right now as I get older.

Since we are going classics rock I'll as:
    Layla acoustic by Eric Clapton
    v
    Layla original electric by Derek & The Dominos

Squared
    The original. I like the acoustic but the best bit is the last few minutes with the guitar and piano together and it's cut out of the acoustic.

Joe Satriani

Or

Steve Vai

I'll go with satch but I don't know either too well.

Kyuss or Sleep? I was obsessed with stoner rock when I was a teen.

Squared
    From my limited experience of both I'd probably choose Sleep.

Fairly close together timewise, a battle of the tricky third albums:

Pearl Jam, Vitalogy (1994)

or

The Smashing Pumpkins, Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness (1995)

Really? I'm pretty sure I prefer kyuss. Sure, they're more accessible than Sleep, maybe that's why. As much as I act like some kind of musical purist, I do like some pop songs. Essentially that's all any music that sells is anyway.

I'll go with Mellon collie, great album even though I think I prefer siamese dream.

Getting some serious daja vu from this post.

Squared
    As I say, limited experience of both.

If you want something more poppy though, I'm more than happy to oblige.

Journey, Escape (1981)

or

Bon Jovi, Slippery When Wet (1986)

Though neither of those are particularly my cup of tea it is hard to deny the brilliance in each of them. I'd go Bon Jovi becuase Livin' On A Prayer has to be possibly the most quintessentially 80s rock song ever but is also a fantastic, fist pumping rock song at the same time (although Don't Stop Believin' is pretty close to that position in my mind too). I think Slippery When Wet is perhaps the more deep album too, songs like You Give Love A Bad Name and Wanted Dead or Alive are classics in their own right and the supports on the album are also pretty good too.

In honour of Tom Petty, my two favourite songs by him:

Won't Back Down
    or
    [I]Mary Jane's Last Dance/I]

Squared
    Probably just about give the nod to Won't back down.

I'll return the favour

'American Girl', from Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers, (1977)

or

'I Need to Know', from You're Gonna Get It!, (1978)

I'd have probably taken Slippery When Wet too, for what that's worth.

American Girl for the win. One of the first songs that I heard from Petty

Continuing the Petty love

"Breakdown"

or

"Refugee"

Squared
    I'd go for Breakdown.

Let's change it up a bit.

Soundgarden, Badmotorfinger (1991)

or

Stone Temple Pilots, Core (1992)

Stone temple pilots. Plush is a great tune.

Drowning pool - sinner

Or

Slipknot - Iowa

I think that's a tough one

Squared
    Neither really float my boat but I'd take Iowa. I never really got why Drowning Pool were anything more than a pub band, to be honest. Not a Slipknot fan but some of the stuff on that album was OK.

Change of pace. Two of the biggest acts on the Motown label.

Marvin Gaye

or

Stevie Wonder

I'd go with Stevie Wonder for his albums Inversions and Song's in the Key of Life. Two of the funkiest but smoothest albums I have listened to. Probably helps that my mum played them for me over and over when I was growing up.

Food Fighters In Your Honour

Or

Red Hot Chili Peppers Stadium Arcadium

Both came out around the middle of the last decade and have an overflow of songs on them across a spectrum of tempo, musical tones and lyrical subjects.

Squared
    If I'm honest, I think both bands are kind of past their best by that point. For me, Stadium Arcadium is a fairly easy choice.

This would be a tougher call for me, as I think both bands were closer to their peak at this point.

RHCP, One Hot Minute (1995)

or

Foo Fighters, The Color and the Shape (1997)

I'd still choose RHCP easily, not a fan of Poo Eaters like I've already said.

Ok, for a change.

Sax or Violin?

Violin for sure. I think it just carries more emotional punch.

In relation to the Foo v RHCP funnily enough for me that mid 2000s is the creative peak for each band, they were very popular by that point but both albums cover such diverse grounds and are obvious labours of love. The albums listed I'd say would be when they reached their first peak and put together their first really great album. They are both great albums that I love, don't get me wrong, but to me they are young bands coming into their power but they put everything together by the mid 2000s with Stadium & In Your Honour. That is just me though.

In relation to Violin music (since it was bought up):

Lark Ascending

or

Pachelbel's Canon in D

Squared
    For what it's worth, I don't really like the Foos after There is Nothing Left to Lose, and the Chilis last great hurrah is Californication. I love The Color and the Shape and a couple of Chilis albums though, so it's not like I'm not a fan of the two bands. Just that by the mid-2000s I think the real urgency is gone.

Lark Ascending for me. The only versions of Pachelbel's Canon I've ever liked haven't been primarily on violin.

James Taylor

or

Neil Young's Acoustic work

The first song I ever learnt to play on guitar was Neil Young's Heart of Gold, I basically put that song on repeat and forced my fingers to move to the chords so have to go with Neil. Also Needle and the Damage Done is one of the great addiction songs out there. On that note:

Neil Young

or

Bob Dylan

Neil Young, I can't stand Bob Dylans voice or most of his lyrics.

Jimi Hendrix or David Gilmore?

Violin for sure. I think it just carries more emotional punch.
    I like both. Can't really make my own mind up. Some sax is better, but some violin is better. Difficult.

Squared
    Taking their whole catalogue, I'd take Neil Young. Obviously if you can cherry pick Dylan's catalogue then it's amazing. But I think Neil Young's stuff is more consistent. Listen to anything by either of them in the last twenty years and it's a complete no brainer.

On that note... two of Young's live albums with Crazy Horse to choose from.

Live Rust (1979)

or

Weld (1991)

EDIT: Ah shit, well I'll leave this one here and I'll take Jimi Hendrix. I love Floyd but there's just no comparison in their ability as guitar players. If you want to compare the music of Hendrix and Floyd then Roger Waters would be a more challenging decision.

I love Pink Floyd, I really do... but nothing, NOTHING touches Hendrix. The fact he wasn't even that great of a singer speaks for itself. The guitar... just the guitar is beyond all these virtuoso crappy wannabes. He wasn't even much of a shredder, it's those bloody chords man and the story he can tell just playing guitar, like "Little Wing" (my fav Hendrix song).

All I have of Hendrix is a greatest hits album ashamedly (hey, at least I'm been honest) but I remember listening to his stuff as a teenager and nobody comes close. I heard a load of the greats like RHCP's guitarist and even Kirk Hammet where influenced by him, and it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

My favorite Pink Floyd album is "Animals". It's just a raw look at humanity and how fucked it can be.

EDIT: Man, talk about a drunk post.
    Last edited by The Dude; 10-06-2017 at 08:01 AM.

Squared
    Drunk enough that you missed the 'pick one' aspect of the thread...

I'll leave the Neil Young choice up there, but here's another choice to kickstart things. Early 1980s time.

Blondie

or

The Police

Wow, saw them both live. Have to go with The Police for just a bigger catalogue of things i still listen to.

My turn., early alternative

Depeche Mode
    Or
    The Cure

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    Drunk enough that you missed the 'pick one' aspect of the thread...

I'll leave the Neil Young choice up there, but here's another choice to kickstart things. Early 1980s time.

Blondie

or

The Police
    The Police, all day, every day.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleR View Post
    Wow, saw them both live. Have to go with The Police for just a bigger catalogue of things i still listen to.

My turn., early alternative

Depeche Mode
    Or
    The Cure
    Neither. Keep 'em both. But if I have to choose one to listen to, it would be an ice pick to my ear drums.

Now let's talk 1980's hair metal.

Poison or Motley Crew

80s Hair Metal isn't exactly my favourite genre, for me it just tries a little to hard to be epic and cool in every way. Rock music should be effortlessly epic and cool without having to force it on the clothing, hair and even the almost perfect epicness of all the guitar tones and solos.

That said I'd have to say Motley Crue, despite not loving 80s hair metal and these guys being just about the worst culprits of its trappings even I can find a place in my heart for Kickstart my Heart or Girls, Girls, Girls.

The Ramones
    or
    The Clash