Thread: Upcoming Releases

Squared

Upcoming Releases

I think we need a place to flag up any releases that are expected soon that other posters might want to know about, or that we're especially excited about.

I don't have my finger on the pulse the way that I used to have, but I know that Marilyn Manson has a new album coming out in a couple of weeks. I lost track with his stuff over the last ten years or so, but I've heard that the last album was a bit of a return to form. Be interesting to see what he's come up with this time around.

New Killers album coming out. Stoked for that!

Squared
    Yeah, I know quite a few people are excited for that. I like the ones by The Killers that they played when I was a student, even though I didn't really like them when I was a student. Funny how that works, eh? Someone bought me a copy of Day and Age which I did listen to a few times but found it wasn't really for me.

I've heard that the Zack de la Rocha album that he's supposed to have been working on since before RATM quit the first time could finally drop this year. Be interesting to compare it with the RATM/Public Enemy crossover that we heard in Prophets of Rage (which I was really underwhelmed by, if I'm honest).

Speaking of underwhelmed, there's a new Weezer album coming soon, but the bits I've heard from it haven't grabbed me at all. Shame, I used to really like them.

I can't stand The Killers, or Franz Ferdinand or the Kaiser Chiefs.

Bland, radio friendly rock with absolutely nothing interesting about them.

Squared
    Sort of get where you're coming from but I wouldn't go that far.

I would say that about the new Stereophonics album. They've played a couple of songs on the radio ahead of the release and they are just dire. No energy at all. Very much the sound of a band that should have hung it up at least ten years ago, and probably fifteen.

Yeah, admittedly that was a bit harsh and I've known loads of people who do like them. Just not my cup of tea at all.

Actually that reminds me, I bought a guitar magazine ages ago and apparently one of those bands (can't remember which one) uses very complicated chords that are hard to play. So, you know, what the hell do I know?

Squared
    Seems like a lot of bands from my younger days are in the studio. Rammstein and Evanescence both bringing new albums out apparently. I don't much care about either of those, but A Perfect Circle being back in the studio is definitely more interesting.

Squared
    I dunno if this is the sort of thing that I should admit to but always liked Barenaked Ladies, and their new album 'Fake Nudes' comes out early in November.

Squared
    Not my thing but one to watch out for - Eminem has a new album coming out in a couple of weeks.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

Less than. Drops the 15th, and includes "River" ft. Ed Sheeran. Haven't even heard it yet, but this is my SOTY by default.
    I think it's awesome that the word lisp has an "s" in it.

Squared
    Judas Priest have a new album out in a few weeks.

Not long after that, Stone Temple Pilots release their first studio album without Scott Weiland. New vocalist is Jeff Gutt, formerly of Dry Cell.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

I think I read the Arctic Monkeys have a new album out this year. Really looking forward to it considering how much I enjoyed AM.

Never really got into Judas Priest although I did do a 2 hour tribute show to them on a radio show I was once involved in through uni. Each week we picked a band and played a bunch of their music. My co-host that picked it wore all leathers as a mark of respect, made for an interesting 2 or so hours.

arctic monkeys were everywhere with that first album, you just couldn't get away from them. And then they were just gone and I don't remember when I last heard of them.

Squared
    Lots of new dates for things coming out so probably something that'll take your fancy in the next few months.

The A Perfect Circle album 'Eat the Elephant' comes out in late April.

Before then I'm interested in The Decemberists having another album out in the next couple of weeks.

Jack White has a solo album out on a week later.

If you're into young women singing country then you've got Kacey Musgraves bringing an album out at the end of the month too.

A lot of stuff in April, actually. Manic Street Preachers, Kylie Minogue, Breaking Benjamin, Pennywise, Willie Nelson... and that's just a selection.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

I will have to check out that Jack White album. Expect a comprehensive (or at least few line) review at some point.

The Arctic Monkeys are pursuing out an album later this year. I loved their last one and thought it was a real step forward for them, even though I still like their old stuff, so am very interested to see how they have further evolved.

^ look forward to hearing your review, been a long time since I listened to White and be good to hear how his work is going.