Thread: Holiday plans

Squared

Holiday plans

I haven't been able to get a proper holiday this summer and I want to live vicariously. Anyone got any fun plans lined up? Any dream vacation you've always wanted to do? Or have you ever been somewhere that the rest of us need to check out?

I've been to loads of cool places.

France, Spain, Italy, Croatia, australia, canada and new zealand.

Nz is where my uncle lives.

Id like to visit the states some day. california sounds cool.

Squared
    I've been to the first three of those. Northern France a couple of times, Barcelona, and Rome and Campania in Italy.

Also Malta, and in previous years when I had a bit more money, India and Jordan.

But yeah, nothing for a while now. Couple of days in the Southwest of England is as good as it gets this year.

I envy you guys' holidays. They tend to be far more elaborate than what the average American can pull off for any number of reasons, be it a lack of funds or just being afraid to take the necessary vacation time off. The average holiday among people I know (basically lower to upper middle class) consist of a few days in an area that isn't really that far away. Like here in Texas, they'll hit Galveston or one of the coastal areas for a weekend or so. In order to pull off the sort of holidays that you guys have regularly, the average American would either have to be fairly well off or have excellent saving skills.

I'm personally plotting a trip to Vegas that will rely heavily on comps. Not sure when it'll happen, as my financial situation is best described as "fucking pathetic" at the moment. But I always enjoy seeing that others have had awesome trips. Especially when folks from outside the US visit for the first time. It's interesting to see which places they target as destinations.

I actually thought this was about the Christmas holiday season. The Americanized thought about "holiday plans" is different than the European term.

I wholeheartedly recommend everyone to visit Japan at least once. It's pretty fun here.

I'd love to travel a lot more but having a wife adds a layer of complexity to those plans. Mostly in the sense of her not wanting to travel much since she's already done a lot of it before meeting me, so while she probably wouldn't mind me taking off on my own, it's not the ideal thing to do. I've been living in Japan for over a year and a half now, and I've only been to a few areas near where I live, which is still fun in itself since Japan can be diverse. But I'd love to be able to go to more places

I've chatted with her for a bit and I will be planning on taking a long weekend or something to travel to some neighboring Asian countries. Particularly I'd love to either visit Seoul, Hong Kong, Taiwan or Shanghai. They're so close by and travel is relatively cheap so I should take advantage of my geographic location to do this.
    Last edited by Degenerate; 09-19-2017 at 11:10 PM.

Squared
    Yeah, you've got to make the most of proximity. That's the main reason why Europeans get so much more out of it than Americans, generally. Remember that I can fly from Northern England to Paris in less time than it takes you to fly from Dallas to St. Louis. So places like Paris, Berlin, Rome, Barcelona are all only a couple of hours away, and that's led to a real competitive market to make those trips more affordable to more people. While I hear that almost 2/3 of Americans don't have passports, in Britain most people have been abroad and do so regularly - especially amongst the 18-25 age group, that's pretty much regardless of class or anything like that. Package holidays and budget airlines have brought places like Greece and Eastern Europe into the orbit of people like me, who'd have either holidayed in England or maybe had the odd jaunt to France or Spain until more recently.

That said, there are ups and downs. Obviously places like the Bahamas and Mexico have a far greater number of American tourists than Europeans, and they cost a huge amount of money for us to get to them. They are real prestige holidays here and I only know a handful of people who've ever done that kind of trip. But I suppose you'd still need a passport to travel even to those places that are relatively close to you, so maybe there are cultural reasons that people in the States are less inclined to holiday abroad.

Been meaning to travel to the US for some time. The trouble is, it's too vast and there are too many things that I'd want to do, that you've just got no chance of getting it all in one trip. I think the first time we finally make it over it'll be to California because we've got friends there, but after that I'd be interested in moving around. Lot of stuff on both coasts, and I hear good things about Austin from people who've been to Texas for work. But truthfully, I've spend so much time working with American stuff and picked up so many references that I could probably entertain myself reasonably well if I ended up in about 40 of the 50 states.

Been pretty fortunate to have traveled a lot, I covered most of Europe travelling watching Man United. Obviously harder now I live in Australia.

Past 12 months alone I've been to South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Tanzania, UK, Dubai, Bali and Hawaii - all because we knew very soon we'd have a baby on the way and assuming that's it for 18 years

We have a final trip to The Whitsundays in November then not much going on. Holidays kind of have to be a big deal now we're in Sydney. We can fly for 4 hours and still only be in Perth, but Asia is pretty closer so I'd really like to visit there when the little on is old enough. I guess living in Northern England, anywhere you can go for a beach and sun is a holiday, so now I kind of take that for granted, so beach holidays arent really needed and probably wasted a little.

Japan is very much on my radar next.

Safari in Africa was my favourite holiday ever, and I LOVE San Diego

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    Been meaning to travel to the US for some time. The trouble is, it's too vast and there are too many things that I'd want to do, that you've just got no chance of getting it all in one trip.
    Before moving to Japan, I traveled here four separate times and went to vastly different areas each time, and I still have a ton I want to see even now. It's virtually impossible to see everything you'd like to see in the U.S. unless you have the means (in time and money) to do it. So just pick a few places that fit in your budget and schedule and go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by 'Bear View Post
    Japan is very much on my radar next.
    You better make your way through Osaka. First round's on me.

Quote Originally Posted by 'Bear View Post
    I LOVE San Diego
    Interesting - I went to San Diego for a four-day weekend and while I had fun at times, I really didn't find it all that memorable at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate View Post
    Before moving to Japan, I traveled here four separate times and went to vastly different areas each time, and I still have a ton I want to see even now. It's virtually impossible to see everything you'd like to see in the U.S. unless you have the means (in time and money) to do it. So just pick a few places that fit in your budget and schedule and go for it.

You better make your way through Osaka. First round's on me.

Same with Australia - I've not even scratched the surface yet, pretty annoyingly big actually. It's bigger than Europe.

For sure, what's the local tipple?

I had to search what "tipple" meant. Then I discovered there's a restaurant near me called Tipple. So I learned two new things - I guess I should wrap things up and call it a day.

I don't drink much, so I'm not sure if there's something unique here as far as alcohol goes. I usually stick to beers or whatever Japanese liquor my in-laws force me to drink when we go out to dinner (usually sake or shochu). There's a tiny craft beer scene here from what I've seen, but nothing out of the ordinary. In Osaka I think most people just want to find a place to go after working like 12 hours in their day and drink as much as possible for the least amount of money before the last train heads out around midnight. During the summer there's a ton of rooftop beer gardens that have all-you-can-drink / eat for around 3000 - 4000 Yen (around 27-35 U.S. Dollars / 22-30 Euros) that are insanely popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    Been meaning to travel to the US for some time. The trouble is, it's too vast and there are too many things that I'd want to do, that you've just got no chance of getting it all in one trip.
    I just tried visiting 13 states in 6 weeks in America. There was waaay to much to do, even in the places I visited.

Squared
    Which thirteen?

I think part of the problem for me would be if I noticed something to do with wrestling nearby. Like, heaven hell me if I find myself ever in the Carolinas for work. It'd quickly become a Midnight Express road tour.

I've always wanted to go to Japan, too, for what it's worth. Though it's never got much further in my brain than a 'that'd be cool', so other than wrestling stuff I don't actually know an awful lot.

Minnesota - I started in Minneapolis and saw Guns n Roses.

North Dakota - The train only stopped for half an hour, but I got off and bought a coffee, so I'm counting it.

Montana - I went to Glacier National Park, which is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen.

Washington - I dropped by Seattle for a Lady Gaga gig.

California - I headed down to LA and met Jeff Goldblum.

Nevada - Las Vegas. Yeuch.

Arizona - I booked a couple of tours to see all the various national parks and canyons and things.

Utah - Salt Lake City for a layover.

Wyoming - This was at the top of my bucket list. I had a tour through Yellowstone National Park, and then saw the total eclipse in nothing but a hospital gown.

Colorado - Five day rest stop in Denver. They do very good craft beers.

Illinois - Chicago for deep dish pizza. It's amazing.

New York - Buffalo is dull.

Canada - Niagara Falls is loud and pretty.

New York - I headed over to New York proper and saw lots of tall buildings and ate some tremendous food.

Massachusetts - Final stop in Boston for the opening game of the NFL season. Stupidly expensive, and they lost ridiculously badly, but I saw Mark Wahlberg, so I guess it balances out.

Squared
    Sounds like a fun trip.

As I say, if I get over there California will probably be first, and it's so big that I can't imagine fitting much else in that trip. You could probably do Vegas but I'm not actually that interested in Vegas, weirdly. Be more inclined to go up to Seattle.

I'd only want to go to Vegas if I could recreate Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, which would be stupid and probably end up with jail so I'm obviously not going to do that lol...

Sheepster man, that all sounds pretty bloody cool. Must of cost absolutely crap loads of money though. I haven't really been on holiday since I left home. I have like zero money ever, so the chances of doing anything like that seems completely impossible.

Squared
    America is a tough place to get to from here. All holidays cost money and if you've got none spare then they're gonna be difficult, but Europe is relatively accessible. Other than a cheapy trip to New York or family trip to Florida, I don't know many people who've been to the States without being comfortably well off. I certainly can't afford to do it at the moment.

I think 'Bear's post has only just sunk in. Chris, love to hear a bit more about some of those African destinations mate.

I'm only on an hourly wage, working at a petrol station. But I don't drive and don't spend much money on anything else, so I save up fairly easily. I bought fairly cheap Amtrak trains in the west and megabus is stupidly cheap in the east. Cheap motels and hostels are plenty in the outskirts of most big cities. It also helps to start buying parts of your holiday a year in advance. I did overdo it this time around and need to save up for a few months to pay off the little bit of credit card that I used, but in this case it was worth it.

I usually apply this method to backpacking trips around Europe and can do two or three week long trips a year. I'm not saying it's the easiest thing to do, but travel is kinda my hobby, so it's what I'm more likely to make sacrifices for.

To be honest, I never liked going on holiday to the places I've been. Unlike you Sheepster, I would rather have had the money spent on things to do at home.

Maybe I'm just bitter I don't even have a TV, but seriously, fuck going on holiday. If I had enough money for a holiday it would most likely go on drugs, and as a second thought, something entertaining for home.

Squared
    I'm more in Sheep's camp, which I guess explains why I wanted to live vicariously by starting the thread.

Love travelling. Not the process of travelling, but being somewhere else for a bit, and I'd rather go without some stuff at home to do it. In all honesty, I find I don't miss the things I give up, more often than not. You're usually just as happy without them. But I do feel like it's good to be somewhere else, eating the local food, drinking the local booze...

I generally like the places I've been, but there's only a couple I'd want to go back to. Campania was great, would go back to Sorrento tomorrow if I had the cash.

Squared
    Giving this a quick bump since as we're into 2018, I can ask if anyone has plans for this year?

As for me I don't have any big plans but there's talk already of a week somewhere relaxing. Spain, probably.

@lopprimetime

Nope. Not going anywhere. I'm looking forward to it warming up in the UK though. If I had that kind of money, I'd actually be tempted to go on holiday somewhere warm just because I'm fed up of the cold. Maybe NZ and visit my uncle or something as it's summertime there.

Yeah trying to get over your way sometime this year hopefully. Still have to wait and see on others and when they can get time off

Squared
    Prague has been floated as a possibility in the last few days. That'd be interesting, as I have never been to Central or Eastern Europe before - just to France, Spain, Italy etc.

@lopprimetime