Thread: It

It

It seems as though pretty much everyone but me went to see It over the weekend. In all my years on social media I've never seen so many people hitting up the same movie all at once.

I'm hearing really good things but I'm kinda skeptical, given the sort of shit that has garnered huge praise over the last decade or so. Is it, or It, actually good or is it just creepy? There is a difference.

^^^
    Click For A
    Super Cool Facebook Page

The Brain
    I liked it a lot but I had some nitpicks with it. I'm a huge fan of the original adaptation and the book too, so I may be a bit biased. I liked the visual design of some of the stuff, and I really liked that some stuff from the book that got left out of the Tim Curry version was incorporated here. The kids perform really well. I did think it was lacking somewhat in atmosphere, more about freaky sights than actually creeping people out and leaving something to the imagination. Also a little heavy on CGI for me, it's tougher for me to 100% invest if my brain can tell something's not physically there. I was also a little mixed on Skarsgård's performance, at certain points he was great but he basically went full creepazoid from the word go, rather than building up to it. I also don't know why Pennywise needed beaver teeth. But overall I did enjoy it, it might make my top 10 list for 2017.

I've actually not seen it yet; on the docket for this weekend hopefully. Was reading an article about one of the more controversial scenes from the book, basically the kid orgy in the tunnels being left out, which it also was from the original Tim Curry adaptation. A lot of people thought it odd considering the R rating it received and it was basically just omitted.

Thoughts from those that read the book?

As someone who wasn't familiar with the story in any way, this movie was one of the most enjoyable theater-going experiences I've ever had. Not only is it as funny as it is scary (which it is both in spades), but everyone at the showing I went to were really into the movie as a group. Even down to all of us being on the same page regarding individual remarks at specific parts of the movie. If possible the sequel would have permission to directly withdraw the ticket price from my account.
    I think it's awesome that the word lisp has an "s" in it.

The Brain
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleR View Post
    I've actually not seen it yet; on the docket for this weekend hopefully. Was reading an article about one of the more controversial scenes from the book, basically the kid orgy in the tunnels being left out, which it also was from the original Tim Curry adaptation. A lot of people thought it odd considering the R rating it received and it was basically just omitted.

Thoughts from those that read the book?
    I'm all in favor of it being omitted from all adaptations. I get that King was tying in "coming of age" themes but even in print it felt like a step too far, and there's just no way to adapt it that doesn't look just plain wrong. It's the only thing about the original story I don't like, as I think it's fairly brilliant otherwise.

Squared
    I wasn't that taken with it. It's OK but I think it might just be it suffered a bit from the hype for me. Don't get me wrong, I liked it, but I don't think I liked it anymore than the previous adaptation and it made nowhere near the impression that the book did.

That said - I took a break and watched it at lunchtime and it was still a pretty full screening. Clearly captured people's imagination. And there's enough jumps in it to keep anyone who doesn't go in with that longer history with the text happy.

Finally saw IT. I really liked it actually. Thought the kids we great, Skarsgard was fantastic. I haven't read the book in over 20 years, so I didn't really remember much about the actual story, so now I want to go back and re-read it. Good stuff, might even see it again.

I'll probably wind up waiting until it comes out for home viewing. Interesting to hear mutiple takes, though. My thought during the build was one of slight frustration, as folks seemed to miss the point of Curry's representation not being as blatantly creepy as the new one. In the book Pennywise isn't a scary clown... at first. He's supposed to be fun and silly looking to draw the kids in. This new version is so creepy looking from the jump that I find it hard to believe that anyone would find it fun and silly enough to be lured by, especially small children.

That's somewhat minor, though, as long as the story is well told.

^^^
    Click For A
    Super Cool Facebook Page

The Brain
    Completely agree with that. A kid would walk up to the Tim Curry clown as he first appeared. No kid in the universe would talk to the rat toothed hydrocephalic abomination with a voice like a house falling apart. Save something for the jump, for god's sake. Still really liked it but yeah, that bugged me a bit.

Samuel Plan
    I don't really go in much for horror films myself; I find them often too chained to genre tropes. But I took a friend to go see IT the other night, and had heard good things about its scare factor. I left mildly disappointed, but not to the point I hadn't enjoyed it.

I think Mark Kermode pitched it perfectly: it's more of a "horror adventure," reminiscent of something like The Goonies, but with a little more of an edge. That's what I liked about it. Scary? No. But charming, I think, and with a really likeable group of heroes.
    101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die: The Book is now available to buy on Amazon UK, Amazon US and Amazon Europe! Just search for "101 WWE Matches" and it'll pop up!

~ Samuel Plan

The Brain
    I can't remember the last time I actually found a horror movie scary, I'm just too jaded I think. I pretty much always look at it as an "adventure". Whether the adventure is seeing how people survive something horrible, or seeing how something horrible creatively hacks people apart, well that's part of the fun.

Squared
    I find I'm never on team monster. Too much of a white hat, me.

If anyone hasn't seen and wants to know, the second part of It is slated for September 2019 release. So a bit of a wait for the concluding part, but since they've shattered records at the box office this time around I don't think they'll care.