Thread: LOP Columns Hall of Fame Discussion Thread

Man On The Silver Mountain Steve's Avatar

LOP Columns Hall of Fame Discussion Thread

The Hall of Fame is the greatest resource we have here for exploring and understanding the history of columns on Lords of Pain. Pioneers, innovators, published authors, all are enshrined here in the Hall.

This thread is for discussing the Hall of Fame. Who's there, their work, what they meant to your own LOP and/or wrestling fandom experience, pretty much anything you want to talk about.

This will also serve as the announcement thread whenever new inductees are made, which is typically on a bi-annual basis.

Enjoy!

I would like Bearly Reviewing inducted please.

Not me or Oli, just the column.

Maybe one day. You guys hit the five years straight mark and we'll talk.

Much spoopy. Very creppy.

I don't think those guys could be straight for more than a day. Homos for life.

Quote Originally Posted by YourAyatollah View Post
    Maybe one day. You guys hit the five years straight mark and we'll talk.
    Does last year count?

It does.

Much spoopy. Very creppy.

Squared
    I've a question. Are there many more people from the 'old' days that are still in line for this thing, or is everyone from the period 2001-2005 kind of already in who is likely to get there?

There must be more. It was a special era and a lot of good columnists about. I'd need to completely refresh my mind on them to remember just how much those guys did though. Was there anyone you had in mind in particular?

Squared
    I'm not sure I did have anyone specific in mind. But I was thinking - the very early days, people generally won a COTM and moved up to the main page very quickly. As Steve has said, there was a bit of a conveyor belt in place because people hung around a lot less. Then when guys like Wevv started to get promoted up those spots got held for a long time, so there were plenty of good columnists who hung around a long time for either one COTM win, or in some cases didn't even collect that win because there were just so many people around and not enough awards to go around.

I think in some later eras, and I don't mean this as knock on anyone, though there have been some very rich talent pools around those pools have generally been smaller, and the idea of being a 'forum writer' has been much more entrenched, so it's been easier to rack up more eye-catching CVs.

I guess if I were to think of some names - someone like BlazingPhoenix from the first generation jumps to mind, but I'm more familiar with those guys who came a bit later, such as Dubzilla, SteJ, J-Train, TV Dog, Optimus Starscream.... the first couple were a big presence early on and won a COTM. DubZ had a main page run for a bit but I think, like me, his best stuff came before he was called up. J-Train didn't win one but was a popular columnist, got called up and was on he MP for a long time if I remember right. The other two I don't think ever did get called up or actually win anything but were respected guys in a stacked pool.