Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Japan Pro Wrestling General Discussion

Ishii vs Naito! Hurrah! Really looking forward to that one.

That's the matchup I'm looking forward to the most in this card, since I really dig both of these guys. Like I said, I'm sure the Okada / EVIL and Kushida / Ospreay matches will deliver some good quality. But I'm 99.9% confident that Okada won't be dropping the title to EVIL. And although Kushida and Ospread did deliver a five-star match at the Best of the Super Juniors finals and I can appreciate Ospreay's work I'm not a super-huge fan of his style. That's more of a personal preference more than anything else.

I'm also curious to see if there's going to be any type of set up for the IC title for Power Struggle (more selfishly since I have tickets for the show). It's interesting that Tanahashi is teaming with Makabe to go against Kota Ibushi and Juice Robinson. Sounds like Ibushi gets the pin on Tanahashi to set the match up, which would add to the story that Ibushi beat Tanahashi during the G1 tournament. That'll be a great matchup to see.

Yeah, I can see Ibushi vs Tanahashi being set up. Given that they already did the other G1 winner against Tana it seems like the most likely route to take with it.

Just saw this pic of the current crop of Young Lions just ahead of next week's Lion's Gate Project show:

Ever since I saw Kitamura, he's been the one that has interested me the most out of this group. The little I've seen of him seems decent for the little experience he has. He's obviously jacked which seems to be a rarity in Japanese wrestling, so I'm curious to see if he'll be able to put that to good use or if he'll just be hampered / pigeonholed by it. Besides Kitamura, the other two I'm keeping my eyes on are Oka and Kawato.

Kitamura... never meet Vince. He has a chance to be great. The look, his charisma's off the charts.and the athletic background. Sucks he's already 32. But, if he makes the transition as well as I think he will, it won't matter. I originally saw Oka as the big star out of this group. Kawato/Kitamura will be. Oka will take a bit to get up the card.

Shame Henare's still out. He'd have been in the mix to win this as well.

I didn't realize Kitamura was 32 years old. He'll probably be 34 or 35 by the time he's back from his excursion, so hopefully he'll be able to have a run of a few years on the roster after that.

I totally forgot about Henare. I didn't realize he's been out since February, so that injury must have been a lot worse than expected. New Japan hasn't had a good year when it comes to serious injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate View Post
    I didn't realize Kitamura was 32 years old. He'll probably be 34 or 35 by the time he's back from his excursion.
    I see his excursion lasting less than a year. He's gonna get a rocket strapped to his back. He was an Olympic level wrestler. Same with Oka. There have been real rumbles of them being a long term tag team. That would be amazing.

Kitamura - is he the one that got banned from the Olympics for steroid use? I seem to remember he took something accidentally, some kind of foreign supplement, or at least that was his story.

I like Kawato. I can't believe he's only 20. I don't mind Oka (and I like the team of Oka and Kitamura a lot) but he hasn't grabbed me in the way Kawato has. Interested to watch the cup.

On another note - Okada is now 11 days off of having the longest single run with the IWGP Heavyweight Championship in history. If he makes it to WK without losing the title he will (by my maths, which might be one day out either way) tie with Tanahashi to have the joint longest combined time with the title around his waist in history.

So, two questions - is Okada the best modern era wrestler (let's say someone who broke through in the last 20 years) at the age of only 29?

And what's next for him should he lose the title at WK? My understanding is that rematches are not contractural in NJPW, so you would assume he doesn't get an instant redo of the title match. Does he need to win one of the New Japan Cup or the G1 Climax to get a shot back? Could he drop down and give the IC title (a belt he's never held) a bit more shine? Or what about a challenge for the new US title to really establish that following Omega's run (especially if he's on his way out of the company after January)?

I read Kitamura's wiki page and that's what it says - in 2011 he got busted, and said that he unknowingly took them from supplements bought from abroad. He didn't appeal either, for what it's worth. I've only been looking at Kitamura from a singles perspective, but he does have good chemistry with Oka in the few times I've seen them team up so there can be something good there, especially since the heavyweight tag team scene in New Japan has been dominated by foreigners for seemingly a long time. It could use some local blood in there.

It's still insane that Okada has achieved all of this before the age of 30. I don't know about the best modern era wrestler, but this last run is definitely one of the best runs anyone has had ever. Just the quality of work that he's put out in the last year and a half is amazing. Just about every single championship match he's had has ranged from great to stellar. I don't remember ever seeing anyone put on quality match after quality match like he has since winning the belt from Naito last year.

Part of me doesn't want him to lose the title at Wrestle Kingdom, though, but if he retains, what will become of one of their hottest stars in Naito? I'd hate to see someone with the momentum he's been building for so long get shoved down. I don't think there's a better time to put the belt on Naito. But then the question remains about what to do for Okada - maybe chase for the title again, which I'm not too high on since it's been done already.

That does bring an interesting observation with how New Japan has booked the top of the card. The only people I can see holding the IWGP Heavyweight Championship for good runs are Okada, Naito and Omega. They need to build some others because that pool is kinda limited. I wonder if giving others at least a short run with the belt like Suzuki or Ishii would serve well.

The Brain
    Okada is charismatic with very protective booking, and is a great wrestler, so you could argue he's the most all around successful wrestler of the modern era. He's certainly not the best for my money but that's highly subjective, and if you just go by general acclaim he does have an argument. I'd like to see how his work ages though, we're right in the midst of things and there's a big recency bias going his way.

Naito should absolutely win the title at WK. That will at least shake things up a bit because yeah, that Okada/Naito/Omega merry go round is looking a bit stale at this point, so at least they can go at it from some other angles and try to mix a couple more people in the mix.

Does a Naito win really freshen the scene up? I mean, it's hard to see who else actually comes and challenges for that title that hasn't challenged recently, and NJPW hasn't really worked on elevating anybody greatly over recent times (the exception, sadly, being Shibata with his NJC win).

I mean, the only two guys they've really worked on elevating besides that are Naito, who'll have the title, and Omega, who's in the merry go round.

I'm not for a second advocating that Naito shouldn't take the title at WK - in fact, quite the opposite - but I'm just wondering where the new challengers (serious challengers) come from for him if not from the handful of guys who we're familiar with as threats - Okada, Omega, possibly Tanahashi if he drops the title. Where is the new main event blood coming from? I suppose EVIL might cement himself there off the back of his performances recently, but Suzuki's doing bloody Yano matches again for the NEVER title, Ishii seems to be constantly missing his opportunities or not getting them (although he is at least 2-2 against Naito, so a chance for a rubber match) and others seem to have an uncertain or temporary future in NJPW. Perhaps the best they could do is continue the elevation of Juice, but I don't think they do that without him going via the IC title first or, at least, taking a couple of losses on the Heavyweight title.

Who would you guys consider as alternatives?

One huge name that never gets talked about is Fale. He's close to being something special. His work this year, for a large guy, has been fantastic. I could easily see him get the New Beginning match. He beat Naito in the G1 and hasn't got a rematch. We know how NJPW works, and that's right up their alley.

Sanada's close as well. They're slow burning him. They didn't want to waste his first major look in a loss to Okada. He doesn't have the charisma that EVIL does so he would have been hurt by a loss there. He doesn't have the ability to talk his way back up. EVIL does.

I think they wanted to elevate the character of EVIL but knew he was no where near ready for the main event scene full time. He'll get a look next year in the Never or IC lane.

Ishii's getting rewarded. May not be with the main belt, but he's on the list of those who could go after the IC at WK. They rewarded Goto. They'll reward Ishii. Evil's gonna maybe fit his roll.

Wouldn't surprise me one bit if Suzuki's man is EVIL at WK. He's facing his bud Yano. Ishii IS the NEVER man. Him and Suzuki could legit get a 5 star match on a show where two or three could happen.

Omega faces Ibushi. Ibushi has been rumored to be close to signing with the company. If so, he gets his match with Omega. He's a name who could easily be added to the top of the card. One of the most over people with their audience and they never wanted him to leave. They're lucky to have him around. He'd be huge for whatever company he settles down with.

Lastly, and a name that may seem weird, is KUSHIDA. He's made it clear he wants to try his hand against the heavys. Someone like Naito, a former Jr himself, would be a great test to see how the audience reacts. Won't even need to win, just get the match. That would do huge business.

Naito vs Kushida could be excelllent.

I hadn't thought of Omega vs Ibushi at WK. For the US title, or does Ibushi take the IC title from Tanahashi in their upcoming bout? Be interesting to see how that shakes out.

The Brain
    I love the idea of bringing KUSHIDA into the main event scene. I'm not much into Fale to be honest but I haven't seen him much this year. I would be willing to invest in SANADA or possibly EVIL getting more of a shot too, and certainly Hiromu down the line a little bit. Oh Ishii... poor guy. Yeah, if Ibushi does recommit he should be a lock for the top tier.

I never thought about Kushida mixing it up in the heavyweight division, but he might be able to pull it off. I haven't been watching New Japan for as long as many others so the perception of someone who's been a mainstay in the Juniors for a long time like he has moving up to the heavyweight scene doesn't feel right to me. I know many have transitioned rather successfully, so it's just perception. I'd love to see it happen.

One guy I forgot about is Michael Elgin. I don't know what his status with New Japan is since he seems to have been put on the backburner in the past few months, but he can be set up for a solid run with anyone in the main event. He's already proven he can put on great matches in those spots, and the Japanese crowd loves the guy. If Naito wins the belt, I can see him and Elgin putting on another five-star match for it.

The Brain
    Guys who transition often have an easier time than you'd expect. I remember when Kenny Omega did junior matches exclusively, if you can believe it!

Naito and Yujiro Takahashi were Jrs. Devitt was a Jr who moved up right before he left to WWE.

Realistically, it is easier to move up than stay there. you get to have your own matches and ecposure before that Heavy push. People know who you are and can trust your abilities.

Not a fool proof thing, but definitely not unheard of.

I know there's been lots of precedent to a junior heavyweight stepping up to the main heavyweight ranks. I was just mentioning since I haven't followed New Japan long enough to see anyone make that transition, that it was my perception that makes it seem like it's a tough thing to do. I guess all the years of WWE watching has conditioned me to do that. The last person seems to be Omega, and when I began watching he was the Intercontinental champ so he already had that transition.

I'd definitely love to see someone like Kushida go to that level. Thinking about it now, I'd love to see Takahashi take that step even more since he's one of my current favs.

What's happening with Takahashi? They seem to be messing about with him a bit at the moment, and for me he's the best junior they've got.

I've been wondering the same thing. I guess they wanted to change up the Juniors a bit with Ospreay as the current champ, but that's kept Takahashi in a bit of limbo since he lost the title at Dominion. Even without kick-ass matches he's been staying relevant with Daryl. Just saying that he got a stuffed cat over speaks volumes about his charisma.

Kushida himself on wrestling Heavys:

KUSHIDA: I’d like to be able to wrestle heavyweights in Japan, too. The last two years or so, I’ve had real confidence that if I had a singles match with a heavyweight, it’d be really good. I have a junior heavyweight’s body, and I can’t change that. I’ll always be a junior, but I’d still like to face heavyweights. There are all sorts of ways it can happen.

I want to continue to help grow NJPW and I want, as a junior heavyweight, to prove myself more with the heavyweights. I want to give it my all in Japan and internationally. For me personally there are a lot of guys I’d love to have singles matches with ...Hiroshi Tanahashi, Hirooki Goto, Tomohiro Ishii, Minoru Suzuki, YOSHI-HASHI, SANADA, Tetsuya Naito, Kazuchika Okada, it goes on and on.

On the topic of Takahashi. All guesses I've seen is having him crowned again at WK. Looks like, this time, as a face.

The Brain
    KUSHIDA is probably legit my favorite guy in New Japan right now so yeah, the more the merrier for him.

Have they run Takahashi/Ospreay yet? I feel like that's an awesome match waiting to happen. Yeah, WK would be a great spot for that match.

Showbuckle put out a Naito video. This is probably the best way to understanding why Naito is the best thing going.

The Brain
    Really well made video. Anything to help more people know about Naito!

That is a pretty solid video on Naito, one I wish I had seen when I started watching New Japan last year. By the time I got into New Japan, Naito was already the champ and was pretty over. I'm always amazed to see his not-so-great years from the past and how he went through this transformation to now be in a position to be the top guy in the company.

In other news, I realize we never talked about this here:

There's a lot of rumors as to who this character will be, from a returning Jay White to a debuting Sami Callahan. Some new rumors about this got sparked today when Juice Robinson apparently has deleted his Twitter account. The strongest rumor would be Jay White returning from his excursion, similar to when Hiromu returned at last year's Power Struggle, so I'm going with that. But the other options are definitely interesting.

I'll have to sit with that Naito video a bit later.

Switchblade is interesting, not sure who will be that guy - Sami's said he's going to NJPW, I remember reading, but I think he also has some bookings around the Power Struggle time so presumably wouldn't be travelling to Japan and back to the States again? Jay White is interesting, he seems to have been doing quite well in RoH over his excursion although I must admit I haven't followed it closely. Every time I see him wrestle I look him up and am shocked by how young he is - the guy's still only 25, and yet it feels like he's been wrestling for far longer and he definitely wrestles like he has.

The Power Struggle card is shaping up quite nicely. I'm looking forward to Dragon Lee/Titan vs Bucks, Suzuki vs Yano in a bullrope deathmatch should be silly fun, and the three other title matches all have my attention - Ospreay vs Scurll should be great if they have a bit of time to do something, their match at PROGRESS Chapter 25 was ace (although it was also No DQ and went 30 minutes, so I assume we won't see a redo of that), and they've faced each other enough to have a good deal of confidence in the other and put something together. Omega vs Beretta will always grab me because I have an investment in Beretta - have loved him since he was in WWE and think he remains a little underrated. And Tanahashi vs Ibushi should be crazy good fun as well. Title changes seem a little unlikely in these matches for me, just because I can't see the three current champs not heading into Wrestle Kingdom without the titles, but I'm sure they'll have us on the edge of our seats again.

I have just about the same opinions as you about the Power Struggle card. I'm definitely looking forward seeing Tanahashi go out there and most likely try to kill himself to put on a solid performance against someone like Ibushi.

On that subject, I've seen in a lot of online communities that a lot of people give Tanahashi crap for whatever reason. I don't know if it's because I wasn't watching during all the years he was the top guy in the company or what, but he's one of my favorite performers in New Japan and he always delivers big in moments like these. I can't explain why, but every time I've had the great fortune of seeing him live I just really appreciate what he does. There's not a lot of wrestlers in any company that make me feel like that.

Besides the main event, I'm mostly curious to see what kind of performance Beretta will have against Kenny Omega in this spot. I don't know if he's ever had a singles match of this magnitude before in New Japan since I've only seen him as part of Roppongi Vice. But considering how Juice came out of the match against Omega at Destruction in Kobe, I'm sure Omega will help Beretta look amazing as well.

Oh, and Yano's gonna die, I'm 99% sure about it.

I don't get the issue people have with Tanahashi - I've always kind of assumed it's a John Cena style thing where people just don't like him because he's done (pretty much) the same thing for years and been on top for so long. But I've seen him change things up so well over recent years and, if anything, improve as an in ring performer through them that I can't get on board with any criticism of him. I wonder if, over time, the criticisms people have of him will come back and stop him from being considered a real great, though.

To be honest, I've seen complaints about Okada recently and I think they come from the same place.

I think that might be it. It's tough to have lengthy runs in today's wrestling scene without many wanting change to happen. That's definitely not exclusive to New Japan.

One thing that wasn't talked about is the finals of the Super Jr. Tag Team tournament. I'm not feeling the teaming of ACH and Taguchi, since it felt very random to me. I'm also not a big of a fan of Taguchi although I do enjoy his comedic role, and I haven't seen much of ACH to form any opinions on him. I do enjoy the pairing of Roppongi 3K. I've said before that New Japan's tag scene for both the juniors and the heavyweights need more strong Japanese talent there. R3K are just that, so I'm looking forward to seeing how far they go.

The Brain
    Count me in as a Tanahashi detractor. Honestly I think the main thing is that I just don't like his offense. I appreciate on paper that he doesn't go out and try to concuss himself like some other New Japan guys do, but everything he does looks so light next to, say, Ishii for example. The house style is stiff, and Tanahashi just isn't. That's not to say I haven't enjoyed Tanahashi matches, there's just a lot of guys I look forward to a lot more in New Japan.

Jay White coming in with a big push doesn't really excite me too much, to be honest. He's a good athletic wrestler from what I've seen, but he's yet to hook me into anything he does outside of pure athleticism. If someone can point me to something that might change that opinion, feel free!

Sami Calihan sounds a little more appealing. I've been down on Sami in the past but he's slowly winning me over to some extent just by sheer volume of good work. He still does some stuff I'm not into and I think he's overrated by the "best in the world" crowd, but he could be a fresh and interesting guy to mix it up.

I've yet to get the hype on Juice, but maybe I need to see the right matches.

Yanked off NJPW's facebook post:

Full Line-up for NJPW "Big Match" Power Struggle
    November 5th, 2017 - Edion Osaka Arena
    Indonesia 15:00 WIB/Japan 17:00/1 AM PST/4 AM EST

0. Pre Show: Katsuya Kitamura vs David Finlay Jr

1. Special Tag Match: Young Bucks (Nick & Matt Jackson) vs. Titan & Dragon Lee

2. 10 Man Tag Match: Suzuki-Gun (Sabre, Taka, Desperado, Kanemaru & Taichi) vs. KUSHIDA, Hirai Kawato, Tiger Mask 4, Jushin Liger & Juice Robinson

3. 6 Man Tag Match: Bulletclub (Chase, Cody & Yujiro) vs. Togi Makabe, Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima

4. NJPW Best of the Super Jr Tag Team Finals: Roponggi 3K (Sho & Yoh) vs. Ryusuke Taguchi & ACH

5. Special 10 Man Tag Match: LIJ (Naito, EVIL, Hiromu, SANADA & BUSHI) vs. CHAOS (Okada, Goto, Gedo, Yoshi-Hashi & Ishii)

6. NEVER Openweight Championship: Minoru Suzuki (c) vs. Yano Toru

7. IWGP Jr Heavyweight Championship: Will Ospreay (c) vs. Marty Scurll

8. IWGP US Championship: Kenny Omega (c) vs. Beretta

9. Main Event ~ IWGP Intercontinental Championship: Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs. Kota Ibushi

So Ibushi wins to set up the match with Omega at WK?

That sounds like a good guess - I was thinking the same. Unless Switchblade has something to do with Tanahashi, but I doubt it.

Besides the pre-show (I really dig Kitamura) and the opening bout, I admit that I'm not really looking forward to all of those tag / multi-man matches after that. But the last 4 matches should be great. I'll be there, I think sitting near the rampway, so I'm pretty psyched about it.

Kitamura is awesome. its a typical B show but the Junior tag matches look fun at least. Big chance for Beretta as well to show if he deserves a HW push.

So... uh....

WHAT THE FUCK GUYS???????

Everyone ready for Omega v. Jericho?

Well I'll be damned, the whole wrestling world got swerved. Just got in from the show, and it was amazing. The whole card was a joy to watch live. Just want to type some random thoughts for each match since my wife could not care less about the show and I need an outlet. Lots of spoilers ahead, of course, so be warned.

I arrived mid-pre-show match so I didn't see much, but what I did see I liked. I still dig Kitamura a whole lot.

I wish the Bucks vs. Titan / Dragon Lee had a few extra minutes. All four of those guys are amazingly talented. It actually makes me want to go to Fantastica Mania whenever it rolls into town next year to watch more CMLL stars.

I dug Kawato before but after his brief showing tonight I gained a bit more admiration for him. He hung with some really good talent there and didn't feel out of place at all, so I'll definitely be keeping my eyes on him in the upcoming years.

I don't understand why New Japan paid for Cody just to be in a six-man match that didn't factor into any of his future plans. I was glad that Kojima got the win - he's probably my favorite low / mid-card vet on the roster, after Liger (if you can classify him as that nowadays).

I wasn't expecting much out of the finals of the Super Junior tag team tournament, but that was a great match. I have only seen very little of ACH but he impressed me a lot. Taguchi is hit or miss for me but tonight was a hit for sure. And Sho / Yoh are pretty awesome. Having the Young Bucks challenge them afterwards lit up the crowd - really looking forward to that matchup.

The 10-man tag between CHAOS and Los Ingobernables was a lot better than expected. It was a clusterfuck at times but it gave us what we wanted - a taste of Wrestle Kingdom 12.

Suzuki vs. Yano was also a lot better than I expected. I was expecting Yano to be murdered and he almost was. The bullrope played into the match really well too - I really enjoyed seeing Suzuki drag the hell out of Yano everywhere, and then see Yano get the courage to use the bullrope to drag Suzuki towards him instead of escaping like he usually does.

Scurll shocked the hell out of everyone in the arena with his win over Ospreay in a really awesome match that I liked a lot. The crowd was super-hyped when Kushida and Takahashi came down and a Fatal Four Way was made for Wrestle Kingdom. That should really be outstanding as well. I'm also happy that Takahashi was added to the mix. I wouldn't have been too happy if he wasn't in the title picture for their main show.

Beretta did a tremendous job against Omega and hopefully it'll give him more opportunities as he embarks on this new journey in the heavyweights.

My jaw dropped to the floor when Jericho was shown on the screen there - what a freakin' surreal moment. I recognized his song "Judas" when the countdown was playing and I was thinking "No fucking way..." I don't think anyone around me picked up on it, nor didn't instantly recognize him when his face was shown on screen. When his face appeared, everyone was quiet while I instantly yelled "CHRIS JERICHO!!!" and then the people around me realized what was happening. I don't know what alternate timeline we live in but I am more than sufficiently hyped, and that is a damn understatement.

The main event of Tanahashi vs. Ibushi started off slower than I thought, which felt weird. But it sure as hell picked up, and those last ten minutes were main event worthy for me. Most of the crowd around me were definitely cheering for Ibushi. He's a special talent, and I sometimes wish he would settle down with the company so we could see more of him on top of the card. I'm sure he's more than happy with his current status, though.

Jay White showing up as Switchblade got a decent pop. I haven't seen much of White but he seems to be a good in-ring talent the little I've seen of him. I'm sure if he was placed in such a high spot upon returning, that means there's a lot of faith that he'll deliver come Wrestle Kingdom so I'm sure that will be the case.

This was a really great show. As I mentioned in another thread I went to a Dragon Gate show in the same arena just two days ago and had a lot of fun, but New Japan just blew them out of the water. Can't wait for January 4th.

Quote Originally Posted by Macho Mourn View Post
    So... uh....

WHAT THE FUCK GUYS???????

Everyone ready for Omega v. Jericho?
    Sadly, I cannot fly out to Tokyo for my birthday. But I can spend it watching the PPV online.

Omega Vs Jericho. God damn.

Can we please move the Jericho thread from WWE to NJPW already Steve?

My excitement for Wrestle Kingdom 12 is getting very high. I have never watched a full NJPW show before but loved the odd matches I have watched here and there. I'm purposely not watching anything before then because I have this idea that going in fresh and unsullied will make it somehow better.

This is like the dangly cherry for a WWE fan like myself who is teetering on the edge and I'm in balls and all. Cannot wait.

My first full New Japan show was Wrestle Kingdom 9, which aired on PPV in the U.S. I really dug the show a lot, but the problem was that I never followed up on it so I didn't watch any of it until I moved to Japan and went to one of their shows. So if you enjoy Wrestle Kingdom 12, try to keep up with their major shows since it'll really increase your enjoyment of the product, at least from my perspective.

If you've enjoyed the occasional match you've seen before, I think you'd be good watching some of the lead-up to the show and not have any upcoming matches potentially ruined. I think stuff like Omega vs. Naito in the G1 Climax finals, or any of the Okada vs. Omega trilogy from this year would whet your appetite for the top two matches for Wrestle Kingdom 12 if you haven't seen those already.