Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: New Japan Pro Wrestling General Discussion

I honestly think people call it Jericho's best match because its been so long since he's done something amazing in ring.. Like this match had low expectations all along because Jericho is 47 and hasn't a widely acclaimed match in years.. I also don't think of him as a big match guy so if someone wants to say it was his best match, I'm not gonna argue too hard.. off the top of my head, my favorite Jericho match is the one against Benoit, the ladder match.

Super Moderator
    Rhodes/Ibushi should get a one star boost just for taking this bump.

Ibushi is crazy. I loved that match, probably my favorite Cody singles match ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
    I honestly think people call it Jericho's best match because its been so long since he's done something amazing in ring.. Like this match had low expectations all along because Jericho is 47 and hasn't a widely acclaimed match in years.. I also don't think of him as a big match guy so if someone wants to say it was his best match, I'm not gonna argue too hard.. off the top of my head, my favorite Jericho match is the one against Benoit, the ladder match.
    I think they're calling it the best match because it was, or was at least right up there with them. Let's keep in mind; while Jericho was a great worker in his day, he was never a worker the caliber of peers like Guerrero, Benoit or Ultimo Dragon (unless he was in the ring with him). It was always Jericho's personality and his angles that were the best thing about him; it's why my memories of his famous HBK feud aren't the matches they had, it's the Summerslam face to face or the turn during the Highlight Reel. So I think you could easily argue that this Omega match was his best match. The only other matches I'd put in the conversation are the one with Dragon in WAR, the Benoit ladder match, the tag match with Benoit and Austin and maybe the ladder match with Michaels. And just like the Omega match, none of those are flawless masterpieces either and also didn't feature Jericho, a guy who many in this thread thought couldn't pull this caliber of a match off, turning back the clock and proving the doubters wrong (which was a small, subtle but important part of the story of the match). So if people want to say it was Jericho's best, I see no problem as it's either that or the ladder match with Benoit for me.

Really the only issues I had with the ratings were White-Tanahashi getting any stars at all (I thought the match was horseshit) and Suzuki-Goto also not getting the five. That, Cody-Ibushi and the Jericho-Omega match were easily the best on the show for me.

As long as there wasn't a massive botch, Meltzer had no intentionof giving Omega/Y2J under 4.75. That match wasn't as good as Tanahashi/Naito the year before. That was 5 stars.

Taking a bump on the top of your head seems super safe right.

In relation to the star ratings, I just don't see how Suzuki/Goto was anything special. I think it is just my taste in matches but I really didn't like it at all, everything that people say is silly about Strong Style.
    Last edited by SirSam; 01-13-2018 at 12:50 AM.

Suzuki made that match. He's always been great at character work, but that whole thing was a masterclass. From the bell to when he was off camera he was nothing short of sensational.

Especially the post match.

Quote Originally Posted by Macho Mourn View Post
    Suzuki made that match. He's always been great at character work, but that whole thing was a masterclass. From the bell to when he was off camera he was nothing short of sensational.

Especially the post match.
    I'll have to watch that again because I just didn't see any of that, possibly due to my unfamiliarity with the character himself.

I'll give you the ending though once it was over, he wouldn't even sit down in the other guys chair much less let him cut his hair, that was really good but the actual match did very little for me.

I do think that the Suzuki vs. Goto match got that high score because of the story behind it, as well as each of the individual characters. I love Minoru Suzuki. The dude's a legit bad-ass, which was on display during the match and afterwards as Double M said above. Goto is the eternal underdog, who rarely wins "the big one" (despite having some high profile wins under his belt in the past). The stipulation behind it also added to the story. I thought the match was really solid and it came out looking great live. But those thoughts very well might be because of everything I said before.

That's part of the subjectivity of wrestling in general - I probably would have found this match a bit tame had I been watching both of these guys for the first time ever. You always need to come to your own conclusions.

Sam, are you planning on getting tickets to the New Japan shows in Australia?

I guess I don't count, Gen?

Aww, that wasn't an oversight You mentioned you would be getting tickets so I assumed you already have. So, did you?

Yes I got tickets today. Got the VIP seating. $455.60 a pop for a ticket. ��

Purchased a ticket for it, really hope they do well and pull good crowds everywhere they go.

It's crazy to me that I'll get to see some of these guys live in person. Especially looking forward to seeing Suzuki.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddieg2005 View Post
    $455.60 a pop for a ticket.
    Holy crap, that's pretty pricey. I guess they have to cover the cost of transportation. I'm also spoiled as hell. My ticket for New Beginning in Osaka (what they call "royal seating" which are the first couple of rows) came out to 15000 Yen, or about $170 AUD.

It'll be a fun time, I'm sure. Hope all you Aussies have an amazing time.

Wait, there is going to be NJPW shows in Australia. I'll need to google this.

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate View Post
    Holy crap, that's pretty pricey. I guess they have to cover the cost of transportation. I'm also spoiled as hell. My ticket for New Beginning in Osaka (what they call "royal seating" which are the first couple of rows) came out to 15000 Yen, or about $170 AUD.

It'll be a fun time, I'm sure. Hope all you Aussies have an amazing time.
    Bloody hell, that's pretty cheap! It's always expensive for tickets here no matter the promotion for good seats. Unfortunately the VIP tickets I got aren't on the side but on the front looking up the entrance ramp. Not the worst, obviously. But wish I could have got the side ones. Was at the November Rain event that Okada came out for in November. Only cost me $40 a ticket for that event for third row!

Wow, I probably won't be splurging on the VIP Premium tickets but you can get ordinary seats for $50-70 so I think I might just pickup a couple of those. Just wana check with my mates first if they want to come.

Man, I love Suzuki.

I think someone on here mentioned the Jericho podcast with Omega that came out just after the Dome show. It's a really interesting listen.

Omega has been added to the Aussie shows, the stacked card gets even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    I think someone on here mentioned the Jericho podcast with Omega that came out just after the Dome show. It's a really interesting listen.
    Yep, I enjoyed that episode a lot. It was basically two guys breaking down their wrestling match and giving an inside look on how the match was shaped and some interesting tidbits on moments where they had to improvise with things. Worth a listen if you dug that match.

Quote Originally Posted by Sucky View Post
    Omega has been added to the Aussie shows, the stacked card gets even better.
    Fuck yes!! I didn't see this. Made me even more pumped now.

Fuck yes!! I didn't see this. Made me even more pumped now.
    Well I just got myself and some mates tickets to the Sydney show! So pumped. Thanks for posting about it Degen and Sucky.

Quote Originally Posted by sirsam View Post
    well i just got myself and some mates tickets to the sydney show! So pumped. Thanks for posting about it degen and sucky.
    vip?

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate View Post
    Yep, I enjoyed that episode a lot. It was basically two guys breaking down their wrestling match and giving an inside look on how the match was shaped and some interesting tidbits on moments where they had to improvise with things. Worth a listen if you dug that match.
    Thought it was fantastic. I enjoyed how they initially planned it to be just a normal singles match. When I found out they had a stipulation, I just assumed that was the plan as I thought it would be the best chance of a classic match. It was intriguing how they changed it up after the initial two encounters they had. Also, enjoyed them discussing how they had to change the spot they planned from that tower and the spray spot. We don't often hear how a match comes together, but this was a fascinating listen. Even if you didn't see it, I reckon it's definitely worth listening too.

vip?
    Na, silver, El cheapos. Would have liked to get gold personally but both the dudes have young families so are pretty stingy. Will be worth it to go with them even if I didn't get the best tickets ever.

As to the podcast I would just repeat what has already been said about it, was a really cool peak behind the curtain. I was surprised how much was improvised, given how finely constructed the match is (see my review below) it is amazing they did a lot on the fly.