Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Japan Pro Wrestling General Discussion

The Brain
    I'm less excited than most about Jericho/Omega, BUT I get why people are hyped. It's a genuinely surprising and unique match up that is bound to stir up buzz and put more Western eyes on the product, which is very smart by New Japan. This is a far better idea that letting Billy Gunn main event their US tour.

I really hope Jericho goes full sleazy American vet here, instead of trying to keep up with Omega's athletically.

The match is almost secondary to me. I would've preferred Ibushi-Omega, but Jericho-Omega is absolutely huge and I think it has a chance to be special, especially if Jericho shows that he's been holding back due to the WWE style. But it's not nearly as interesting as how it all came together and what it all means. When did the wheels start turning for this deal? Is Jericho there for just one night or is he sticking around for a bit? Are WWE involved with this or has Jericho's relationship with them fizzled (as stunning as that would be)? Does this open the door for Jericho to appear in other places, like CMLL, The Crash or a promotion in England? Honestly I think the most important thing people have lost in all this is that it makes abundantly clear that Kenny is sticking with New Japan for the next year. There was a lot of evidence he already was (the ROH booking Mania weekend, the WWE-Elite issues) but the fact that Omega-Ibushi won't have happened by Wrestle Kingdom all but tells me that New Japan has it lined up for some time in 2018, which means Kenny isn't going anywhere any time soon.

The Brain
    I think the main thing holding Jericho back in recent years is that he's in his mid 40s, and was arguably never the super-worker his current reputation suggests in the first place. Don't get me wrong, I love Jericho, but even at his peak when he's working pure exhibition without a story/character, it kind of exposed him a bit, and that hasn't exactly gotten better as he nears 50. That's not saying he won't be fun, I'm just not sure it's fair to say the WWE style held him back. What could he have been doing differently in WWE, stylistically?

I tend to agree with you on the idea that Omega is probably sticking around Japan for at least another year, but just to look at both sides I've also heard that idea that Jericho is going out to pitch WWE as a viable option to certain stars. There's nothing concrete to back that up, but it's not impossible either.

Jericho is in his mid 40s.. he's not likely to have a five star classic with Omega. I could see Omega staying beyond Jan. 4th, he still has a few things left to do. As far as Jericho recruiting for WWE... He doesn't have to, they have people watching New Japan and if they want someone, they don't need Jericho putting in a good word.. I don't think his relationship with WWE is bad but its been said he wanted NXT on his cruise thing and was turned down. He's not under contract with WWE so for the right price and right thing, I could def see him approaching Omega to get a match going... Jericho literally can do whatever the fuck he wants.

I don't see him wrestling at random indies for no money though.

The Brain
    Oh yeah, no way I expect to see Jericho pop up anywhere else to be honest. I mean, modern wrestling is weird, but I just don't see it happening.

I would think its kinda cool if he struck around japan for awhile and worked Tana, Okada.. .Just to see those matches happen... I think Omega will eventually go to WWE, but doubt you'll ever see Tanahashi or even Okada in a WWE ring... Okada is so young, but he's a made man there. Can't see him leaving. Esp the way his buddy Nak been treated.

I don't think Jericho is going to work PWG or anything, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility that he has a big match in Mexico or Europe before he finds his way back to WWE. Like Lazyking said, Jericho can do whatever he wants as a free agent and, while I find it hard to believe he has any issues with WWE (he's so close to Vince that it's just hard to believe there's been a falling out) I wouldn't doubt that, at nearly 47 years old, Jericho sees his days in the ring are numbered and wants to do a retirement tour of sorts, wrestling guys he probably wouldn't get to wrestle in WWE (a big reason I think the Omega match is happening now). I could be way off base but don't be surprised at all if the Jericho-Omega match leads to Jericho then going on to have a big match for CMLL (where he also worked early in his career) and one of the big European/English promotions (Progress, OTT, ICW, Rev Pro, wXw, ect.) before he returns in WWE to have his retirement match in 2019, perhaps at Wrestlemania 35. It makes sense; Jericho gets to have big bouts with guys he otherwise wouldn't have for the next year, he gets to help raise the profile of a few promotions and then gets to finish his career for Vince.

It surprises me that people think he's going to be doing a lot more of these. I honestly think this is just a one-off for him. He has a long history with Gedo, he probably hit it off well with Omega when he was on Jericho's podcast, and he's capitalizing on the New Japan / Kenny Omega buzz from this past year to get himself a prime spot on their biggest card of the year and create more buzz of his own. Unless there's another wrestling promotion in the world that can offer all of these things, I don't think he'll be too interested in those. Maybe I'm grossly underestimating his desire to work for smaller promotions, who knows.

I'd selfishly love for him to work a few more New Japan dates, though, especially here in Osaka.

with the way New Japan is with Tours, he could fly in for the big shows for six months and you could do all the 'dream' matches that are available and help that brand grow.. especailly if they can get him to work the US shows they're planning.

its more likely an Omega one off. TBH, its just really cool to me that Jericho is in a spot where he could say i wanna wrestle this guy really badly.. lets do it. and it happens.

It just doesn't happen. None of the big stars in WWE even would think of doing that.
    Last edited by Lazyking; 11-07-2017 at 03:17 AM.

The Brain
    Haha, I'm just imagining Jericho in the G1 now. Hoo boy.

As long as we end up with Jericho Vs Ibushi, I don't mind what else happens.

What if Omega drops the title to Y2J and wins it back at the US special in March?

You know. Have Y2J main event a show two weeks before Mania for the #2 promotion in the world.

Against an Omega looking to recapture his title.

There's serious money there if they want to do it.

The Brain
    Damn, after all that I actually did pop at the idea of Ibushi vs. Jericho. I just love that guy and I want the spotlight for him.

The idea of Jericho running until the US special initially seemed unlikely but thinking it over I guess it does seem possible. My main question at that point would be how much Jericho would work in between those dates. He's still been touring with WWE in his recent runs, so the idea of Jericho showing up in a bunch of time killing New Japan 8 man tags actually isn't impossible at all.

With all the talk about Jericho and Omega, everyone's forgotten about the upcoming World Tag League tournament. The lineup was revealed a few days ago and it's pretty interesting to see a few things. There's going to be a few new wrestlers coming in, with Sami Callahan, Chuck Taylor and Jeff Cobb all be making their New Japan debuts. Also, everyone's who's already booked in matches for Wrestle Kingdom 12 won't be participating either which is a change from previous years and should make things a little interesting as far as who will win and likely be challenging the tag champs at Wrestle Kingdom. Here's the lineup (lifted from some other website):

A Block:

• Juice Robinson and Sami Callihan
    • Hirooki Goto and YOSHI-HASHI
    • Hiroyoshi Tenzan and Satoshi Kojima
    • Yuji Nagata and Manabu Nakanishi
    • Bad Luck Fale and Chase Owens
    • Hangman Page and Yujiro Takahashi
    • Minoru Suzuki and Takashi Iizuka
    • EVIL and SANADA

B Block:

• Togi Makabe and Henare
    • Michael Elgin and Jeff Cobb
    • David Finlay and Katsuya Kitamura
    • War Machine
    • Tomohiro Ishii and Toru Yano
    • Trent Barreta and Chuck Taylor
    • Guerrillas of Destiny
    • Killer Elite Squad

The B Block looks far more interesting to me, with more already-established tag teams including the current champs in KES, as well as the team of the Best Friends with Baretta and Taylor. I'm a little iffy on the A Block side of things, although I admit that I'm looking forward to seeing the pairing of Suzuki and Iizuka since I dig both of those guys a lot. I would have predicted EVIL and SANADA winning the whole thing, but considering they're part of the Six-Man Champions and they'll probably be put in a match for the titles at Wrestle Kingdom 12, maybe they won't. So my best guess would be War Machine, which while I enjoy them a lot, I would like to see some fresher blood in the heavyweight tag team scene.

In an interesting note, it seems like Matt Riddle was originally slated to be Jeff Cobb's partner instead of Michael Elgin, but New Japan didn't want to deal with someone who openly smokes weed (since marijuana usage is viewed as a super-serious violation here in Japan) so they nixed it.

Didn't Sydal get banned from Japan for being caught with Weed? Any suspicion would probably result in a hard pass from New Japan.

Yep, the main difference being that Sydal apparently got caught with marijuana in Japan. They decided to not even risk giving Riddle a chance.

I guess we won't be seeing RVD in New Japan ever.

The Brain
    Honestly, would we even want to? I love peak RVD but it's been years since he was really interesting to me.

I was coming in here to say I'm not that interested in the tag tournament because it always feels like an excuse for the roster to basically rest after G1 and kill time til Wrestle Kingdom, but then I remember Chuck Taylor actually gets to work New Japan and I got all excited again. I love that goofball, and he's more than put in the work over the years to get exposure like this.

I'm glad for Jeff cobb to get a a look.

The Brain
    Yeah, that's a good one too. He's actually a potentially great fit for NJPW. Elgin & Cobb vs. War Machine sounds right up my alley.

I saw Jeff Cobb a couple of times at the local indy promotion in San Francisco. I honestly didn't think much of him besides being a solid hand in the ring, which is obviously more than enough. I'm curious to see more of his work.

Just found out Okada is wrestling in Melbourne. It is pretty far away from where I live and the place is sold out but I still let a small tear slide out of my eye when I read it.

Quote Originally Posted by SirSam View Post
    Just found out Okada is wrestling in Melbourne. It is pretty far away from where I live and the place is sold out but I still let a small tear slide out of my eye when I read it.
    Have a wedding on tonight so I couldn't go, disappointed is an understatement.

The thornbury theatre will be rocking.

Reading comments like these reinforces how incredibly freakin' lucky I am to be able to see they guy perform as frequently as I do.

Indys here are good, sometimes even great but certainly not on that level.

Apparently Fale initiated an Aussie wrestler into the Bullet Club (Mr Juicy).

Interesting to see how that goes.

Juice and Sami seems like a bit of a weird team, I must say.

The Brain
    Quote Originally Posted by Sucky View Post
    Apparently Fale initiated an Aussie wrestler into the Bullet Club (Mr Juicy).

Interesting to see how that goes.
    Goddam it, there are too many damn Bullet Club members!!

Card for tonight's first day of the World Tag League:

A Block Match
    SANADA & EVIL vs Death Juice (Juice Robinson & Sami Callihan

A Block Match
    Hirooki Goto & YOSHI-HASHI vs Minoru Suzuki & Takashi Iizuka

Naito, BUSHI & Hiromu vs Okada, Ospreay & Gedo

Tanahashi, Makabe & Henare vs K.E.S. & El Desperado

Tencozy, Nagata & Nakanishi vs Fale, Owens, Page & Yujiro

Ishii, Yano, Beretta & Chucky T vs Elgin, Cobb, Finlay & Kitamura

G.O.D. & Leo Tonga vs War Machine & Oka

Kawato & Umino vs Yagi & Narita

I think I'm more excited to see how Chuck Taylor and Yano interact than the actual tournament matches.

I just checked the combined age of the team of Tenzan, Kojima, Nagata and Nakanishi - 192 years old between all four. Even crazier is that they have about 102 years of in-ring experience combined since their respective debuts, over half of their lives. It's insane.

Kojima's the only one who didn't wrestle for WCW.

He apparently was a part of nWo Japan, so you can stretch Kojima's WCW association there.

If you all didn't know, last night's show was shown for free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=BtD9ZF-PXIE

Super Moderator
    It's really good. Watched it Saturday Morning. I did not like that top rope piledriver on Kitamura bumping him SUUUUUUUPER high with little to no protection.

Cobb, Elgin and Kitamura would be my favourite trio walking the planet. I also have so much love for War Machine.

War Machine vs Sanity (not with Eric Young in the ring) would be a joy to watch.

Callahan fits NJPW so well it's scary. Even though I'm not a huge fan of his, I hope him and Juice stay a team there. It was a very fun match and the Japanese crowd seemed to take to him rather quickly.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Macho Mourn View Post
    War Machine vs Sanity (not with Eric Young in the ring) would be a joy to watch.

Callahan fits NJPW so well it's scary. Even though I'm not a huge fan of his, I hope him and Juice stay a team there. It was a very fun match and the Japanese crowd seemed to take to him rather quickly.
    Not possible. I have seen no reason to believe that Hanson and Killian Dain are not the same person.

I had never seen War Machine until a few months ago, and the first time I did I actually thought "is that the guy from Sanity?"

I'm happy for Jeff Cobb. I've already seen a couple of posts around the Internet of people seeing him for the first time and asking who he is because they were impressed by him. That's pretty good exposure there for him. There's also a surprising number of people who had no idea he was Matanza Cueto.

The Brain
    In fairness, he's not only pretty well wrapped up in his Matanza get up, but LU has done such a good job presenting him that people are usually shocked how much shorter he actually is. Come to think of it, wonder if he wears lifts in LU? It's possible, but there's definitely also an element of vibe and presentation.

War Machine is pretty fucking awesome.

This isn't a recent thing, but I was shown this today and it's absolutely hilarious so I wanted to share it:

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    In fairness, he's not only pretty well wrapped up in his Matanza get up, but LU has done such a good job presenting him that people are usually shocked how much shorter he actually is. Come to think of it, wonder if he wears lifts in LU? It's possible, but there's definitely also an element of vibe and presentation.

War Machine is pretty fucking awesome.
    I think everyone looks bigger in LU. Something to do with the environment and the camera work. Muertes looks enormous too. Wouldn't surprise me if there were lifts for Metanza, though - in fact, I think he must be, because he was definitely looking taller than Pentagon in their matches but is actually billed an inch shorter according to Wiki.

Coming out of the shows so far, does anyone think/know if NJPW have big plans for Death Juice going forward? I'd kind of assumed Callihan was just on a brief excursion, but two wins in two against two of the teams I kind of expected to well suggests that there might be more than just that. It's been pretty apparent that NJPW are invested in Juice, though, so maybe they're just running with him a bit and getting him warmed up through the tag league.

The Brain
    I honestly think it also helps tremendously to have such good characters. Matanza and Muertes have such a presence that you just don't always get from Cobb or (especially) Mesias.

Death... Juice... this is a real name for Calihan/Robinson, or just a clever mash up? I can't say the team does much for me on paper but I'll give them a chance when I have time to check out another batch of New Japan.