Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Latta's Lariat #17: Why Do We Watch Wrestling If It Makes Us Angry?

  1. #1
    Member Rich Latta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    98

    Question Latta's Lariat #17: Why Do We Watch Wrestling If It Makes Us Angry?

    Latta's Lariat #17: Why Do We Watch Wrestling If It Makes Us Angry?

    COL #17
    Twitter @RichLatta32

    So the other day I had a wrestling podcast going from someone who shall remain anonymous, and he was going on an absolute rampage on WWE, and the prospects for Summerslam and pretty much laying out how bad WWE has been since Wrestlemania in his opinion. My girlfriend caught wind of this, and told me, “Man, that guy sure sounds angry. Why is he so mad?” I answered with something to the extent of, “different people are passionate to varying levels about wrestling, I get angry on my shows too sometimes.” It eventually led to the dreaded question of, “Well if it makes people this angry, why do they continue to watch?”

    It’s such a complex question and simple one at the same time. I knew my answer immediately. This isn’t always easy for people I’
    d imagine, because here we are, reading and writing about something that is an outright lie. Admitting the ridiculousness of that lie could be a sensitive subject. But the level of commitment we show to Wrestling fan hood is cult-like in a sense. Some of us take this “abuse” and a la Tommy Dreamer getting hit with a kendo stick, we say “Yes Sir, may I have another!” as we hand Vince McMahon 10 dollars each month and feel like absolute suckers for doing so. At lease I do. I half way smirked and gave her an answer I don’t know if she was ready for.

    The Moments.

    I knew exactly what it meant but at the same
    time it was a catch all answer. I’ve got a lifetime of memories to link to segments, matches, and foolishness that has happened in wrestling and no matter how bad it gets, part of the badness is the hope it all works out in the end. Wrestling forces us to live in the world of second chances because unlike movies, the story never ends. At the end of the Wrestlemania main event, essentially the next season of wrestling begins.

    At
    some point in our lives we decided to buy into something we decided made us happy. At the end of the day that was probably the real answer I was searching for. “We’re so angry because we know deep down, we love this shit.”

    Now that doesn’t mean we can’t flip our lids the next time they decide to ruin a good thing like AJ Styles as WWE Champion, who by the way is still waiting for his 1-on-1 rematch, but we can’t pretend we don’t enjoy doing so. My rant about the Punjabi Prison Match created one of my
    favorite segments of One Nation Radio. It’s a different way to look at it but a practical one as well. I’d like for things to be awesome all the time, but when it’s terrible we get to review and write and complain our hearts out because that’s just the cycle of things now.

    Some would argue it’s literally a TV show with television characters. But
    we’vebeenletin to a degree of which we’d never be let into something like The Wire for example. They also aren’t taking The Walking Dead on the road for live shows for people. With that knowledge we’ve been given, for better or for worse it does impact how we consume things.

    I chose to follow WWE like a sports team, and I imagine many others reading this made that choice as well. I’ll scream their successes and forecast what could go wrong and when and what they should do to avoid the pitfalls. I believe who most people would call “angry” fans, want to enjoy what they're seeing, but they are caught in that passion of watching their team (WWE) lose games they shouldn’t lose, or struggle when the victories should be decisive.

    Last Lariat

    Bottom line is, I love wrestling for the matches, stories, and link to my childhood it presents. Upon diving deeper into our fan hoods, that will vary for each person. If you’re watching wrestling to see it fail, you’re probably a special kind of sick, but the most passionate fans are so passionate because they ultimately want what they see as the best for the company. There’s a demand for attention to detail that is maddening for some folks and of course there are continuity issues. Sometimes WWE just flat out screws it up. But I think they get it right too, sometimes it just takes a while. Until then, we’ll just clamour for the moments.
    Last edited by Rich Latta; 08-11-2017 at 07:20 PM.
    Other Places You Can Reach Me.

    *Host Of One Nation Radio - onenationradio.podbean.com*

    *Twitter @RichLatta32*
    *Instagram - @OneNationRadioWrestling
    *Appears Monthly After RAW PPV's on Chad Matthews' Podcast "The Doc Says"*
    *Voice Of The Doc Says Theme Music*
    *Find my music @ soundcloud.com/RichLatta*

    THANKS FOR READING. Until Next Time!










  2. #2
    Power Trippin' YourAyatollah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    3,905 miles from nonymo
    Posts
    1,776
    This is good stuff and mostly spot on... but damn is it short. I know I'm the last guy who should say anything given that my stuff tends to go on forever and three days, but damn. I'm pretty sure I've written Facebook statuses longer than this.

    That's just me, though. I'm sure this appeals to a much larger audience than does the rambling posts put forth by my old ass, and you got your point across pretty well. It is the moments that really keep us involved. I'd have perhaps cited a few that specifically drew me in and expounded upon why they were able to do so, but the point was made just fine without the hyperbole.

    I don't speak up much, as I tend to just try and read as much as possible. That said, I've been following you closely. I love what you've been putting out there. I just sometimes wish that I could get a glimpse of the real Rich. A piece that foregoes the brief, succinctly well made point to give me an idea of why I should truly invest in the man writing it beyond simply sharing basic ideas about wrestling.

    You kick ass, man. I just really wish I could see you truly sink your teeth into something, get passionate about an opinion from time to time.

    Keep writing them and I'll keep reading them as soon as I see them. I do hope you'll go deep on something someday soon, though.

    The Power Trip: Summer Lovin' (Tom Selleck) is up now. Click this and read it or I'll fucking ban you.

  3. #3
    Weed General D.O.N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    754
    I have to agree with 'Tollah that this was short, but dammit if you didn't get your point across perfectly. Even though wrestling makes us angry we still watch it because we are passionate about it. Even though I disagree with having to rant furiously about wrestling I will never make fun of somebody for doing just that. The reason being is that they are passionate about this sport that we all love so who who are we to ridicule their anger. Hell, even the best of us rant from time to time.

    You've been doing great work around here, Rich. Keep it up, bro.

  4. #4
    Size isn't everything, it's what you do with it that counts. You may only have a short one, but it works well.

  5. #5
    Wet Dream Machine SkitZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,371
    Quote Originally Posted by DynamiteBillington View Post
    Size isn't everything, it's what you do with it that counts. You may only have a short one, but it works well.

    You're right but I think Steve meant more in terms of Rich further forming an identity with his writing. Like perhaps dig into something that he can relate to more on a personal level. The opening bit with Rich's girlfriend was a nice start and segue. I'm all for diversifying so that one's topics and thoughts don't mirror everyone else's on the Main Page (even if standing out doesn't necessarily mean greater fanfare). Then again, I feel like Fenichel would give you the exact opposite advice lol.

  6. #6
    Nice piece. I think it is best compared to following a sports franchise. I've been a detroit pistons fan all my life and they were so fun to watch in 2004-05 when they almost became back to back champs. It was like the attitude era of NBA fandom. Though the wrestling product is not in an ideal state, we still believe they can recapture the glory days. It's a badge of honor not to be a Fairweather fan in wrestling. I remember a ton of my attitude era peers stopped watching in 02. We're still faithful and will take the few good stories they provide to us.

    When athletic competition combined with good storytelling, no other sports or entertainment organization does it better than the E

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    316
    Don't listen to anything Steve said. He's trying to turn you into a Forum writer without MP appeal. These short quick hits will play extremely well on the MP where the majority of the audience has the attention span of a gnat.

    Also LOL@Rich having a girlfriend #fakenews

  8. #8
    Power Trippin' YourAyatollah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    3,905 miles from nonymo
    Posts
    1,776
    I love you, too, Dave.

    My comments were less about length and more about content. I simply think that citing a few specific examples and why those moments elicited a response from you, personally, is a good way ingratiate yourself to your audience. It encourages them to then share their own most meaningful or favorite moments or perhaps carry on about how great one you cited is. I'm not talking about doubling the length or anything, simply tossing out the observation that citing personal experience tends to make your readers invest in you that much more. You become not just a guy they read, but someone that they will relate to and thus revisit.

    David is absolutely correct in saying that brevity is a strong suit with the main page audience. But so is engaging said audience. That personal connection is the difference between just being a face in the crowd and someone that is actively sought out.

    The Power Trip: Summer Lovin' (Tom Selleck) is up now. Click this and read it or I'll fucking ban you.

  9. #9
    I think it involves a mixture of both. Rich is passionate wrestling fan, and I know that from the few interactions I have had with him recently. He could easily channel that into some different type of work, and this place is the perfect avenue to do that. It's really beneficial at times to flesh stuff out, get creative, use personal anecdotes, and things of that nature while you mold yourself into a Main Page columnist. Rich's current format would play nicely on the MP to be sure, but one thing about that is even on the MP, every now and then you'll get tired of writing the same type of stuff, so even if two people read a creative piece up there, the occasional one can be a good way to reset.

    Just some thoughts. I think Steve and Fenichel need to make up. I'll bring the video camera.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    316
    Steve and I are good. It's all in good fun.

    I think you guys overestimate the readers' interest in getting to know us and underestimate how they just want you to give them a talking point through a question of the day so that they can ignore what you wrote and give their opinion.

  11. #11
    Member Rich Latta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    98
    Woo, this started a fire huh, I'll go one at a time.

    Quote Originally Posted by YourAyatollah View Post
    This is good stuff and mostly spot on... but damn is it short. I know I'm the last guy who should say anything given that my stuff tends to go on forever and three days, but damn. I'm pretty sure I've written Facebook statuses longer than this.

    That's just me, though. I'm sure this appeals to a much larger audience than does the rambling posts put forth by my old ass, and you got your point across pretty well. It is the moments that really keep us involved. I'd have perhaps cited a few that specifically drew me in and expounded upon why they were able to do so, but the point was made just fine without the hyperbole.

    I don't speak up much, as I tend to just try and read as much as possible. That said, I've been following you closely. I love what you've been putting out there. I just sometimes wish that I could get a glimpse of the real Rich. A piece that foregoes the brief, succinctly well made point to give me an idea of why I should truly invest in the man writing it beyond simply sharing basic ideas about wrestling.

    You kick ass, man. I just really wish I could see you truly sink your teeth into something, get passionate about an opinion from time to time.

    Keep writing them and I'll keep reading them as soon as I see them. I do hope you'll go deep on something someday soon, though.

    @Ayatollah - My column brand i have in mind is something like an early 2000's Bill Simmons type column where it leaves folks coming back for more unless its a special case that demands extra length like a mailbag etc. Ideally it's 3 columns a week with 700-800 words which amount to between 2000 to 2200 words in a week. Which would be someones average weekly column they are putting out 1 of. Another idea i have with it is, Toilet Reads. I like many read on the toilet. If im not there forever lord forbid, it's in and out and i do columns with that in mind for folks...quick reads. Then the lariat title, like the wrestling move, quick, devastating and can be a finisher in the right situations. I appreciate you expressing your desires out of what you'd like to see more off, and im not even saying it's off limits. It's something to keep in mind. I just think through the writing, folks will understand my different view points about timely subjects, and every column can serve as an entry point to my archive potentially. Easy for joe blow to read...Thank you for following what i've got started in here as of late, hope it'll serve me well in the future.



    Quote Originally Posted by D.O.N View Post
    I have to agree with 'Tollah that this was short, but dammit if you didn't get your point across perfectly. Even though wrestling makes us angry we still watch it because we are passionate about it. Even though I disagree with having to rant furiously about wrestling I will never make fun of somebody for doing just that. The reason being is that they are passionate about this sport that we all love so who who are we to ridicule their anger. Hell, even the best of us rant from time to time.

    You've been doing great work around here, Rich. Keep it up, bro.

    @D.O.N kind of what I was saying with Steve as far as the length, but ranting is t
    theropudic and often entertaining as hell. There's a line to walk of being a parody or cutting edge. Thank you for checking and commenting on stuff consistently Don.

    Quote Originally Posted by DynamiteBillington View Post
    Size isn't everything, it's what you do with it that counts. You may only have a short one, but it works well.

    @DB - A wise man once said that i imagine. LOL

    Quote Originally Posted by SkitZ View Post
    You're right but I think Steve meant more in terms of Rich further forming an identity with his writing. Like perhaps dig into something that he can relate to more on a personal level. The opening bit with Rich's girlfriend was a nice start and segue. I'm all for diversifying so that one's topics and thoughts don't mirror everyone else's on the Main Page (even if standing out doesn't necessarily mean greater fanfare). Then again, I feel like Fenichel would give you the exact opposite advice lol.

    @Skitz - We had a discussion in private about all of this, pretty much the same thing applies. I threw in the bit with my girlfriend because it organically sparked a thought in my head. I don't intend for it to be a running thing. With the writing I do, as well as my music im big on things feeling organic. I think i'll present a different authorial voice than everyone naturally lol.

    Quote Originally Posted by TypeItInMaan View Post
    Nice piece. I think it is best compared to following a sports franchise. I've been a detroit pistons fan all my life and they were so fun to watch in 2004-05 when they almost became back to back champs. It was like the attitude era of NBA fandom. Though the wrestling product is not in an ideal state, we still believe they can recapture the glory days. It's a badge of honor not to be a Fairweather fan in wrestling. I remember a ton of my attitude era peers stopped watching in 02. We're still faithful and will take the few good stories they provide to us.



    When athletic competition combined with good storytelling, no other sports or entertainment organization does it better than the E

    @Type - I'm a La Lakers fan so when you bring up 2004, part of my soul just burned with fiery rage. If Payton is hurt instead of Malone and Shaq and Kobe at least even speak to each other i often dream things would have been different. I salute you for staying with wrestling the whole time...i might have but i had different situations in life around that time that just took me away where i literally couldn't watch, right when the lakers started aging in the early part of this decade, i made the choice to make wrestling my other team and get back into it, i plan to be down until further notice. But um, i watch new japan when i want to see the best. WWE is cool too. lol



    Quote Originally Posted by david.fenichel View Post
    Don't listen to anything Steve said. He's trying to turn you into a Forum writer without MP appeal. These short quick hits will play extremely well on the MP where the majority of the audience has the attention span of a gnat.

    Also LOL@Rich having a girlfriend #fakenews
    @David - Dave, her name is Catherine lol.


    Quote Originally Posted by YourAyatollah View Post
    I love you, too, Dave.

    My comments were less about length and more about content. I simply think that citing a few specific examples and why those moments elicited a response from you, personally, is a good way ingratiate yourself to your audience. It encourages them to then share their own most meaningful or favorite moments or perhaps carry on about how great one you cited is. I'm not talking about doubling the length or anything, simply tossing out the observation that citing personal experience tends to make your readers invest in you that much more. You become not just a guy they read, but someone that they will relate to and thus revisit.

    David is absolutely correct in saying that brevity is a strong suit with the main page audience. But so is engaging said audience. That personal connection is the difference between just being a face in the crowd and someone that is actively sought out.

    Quote Originally Posted by KingKervin View Post
    I think it involves a mixture of both. Rich is passionate wrestling fan, and I know that from the few interactions I have had with him recently. He could easily channel that into some different type of work, and this place is the perfect avenue to do that. It's really beneficial at times to flesh stuff out, get creative, use personal anecdotes, and things of that nature while you mold yourself into a Main Page columnist. Rich's current format would play nicely on the MP to be sure, but one thing about that is even on the MP, every now and then you'll get tired of writing the same type of stuff, so even if two people read a creative piece up there, the occasional one can be a good way to reset.

    Just some thoughts. I think Steve and Fenichel need to make up. I'll bring the video camera.
    @King - I'm passionate about pretty much everything i commit to, whether its rap or writing about wrestling as you said. I plan on whipping out the personal stories as they come. Can't give it all yet. lol appreciate the vote of confidence.


    Quote Originally Posted by david.fenichel View Post
    Steve and I are good. It's all in good fun.

    I think you guys overestimate the readers' interest in getting to know us and underestimate how they just want you to give them a talking point through a question of the day so that they can ignore what you wrote and give their opinion.
    Other Places You Can Reach Me.

    *Host Of One Nation Radio - onenationradio.podbean.com*

    *Twitter @RichLatta32*
    *Instagram - @OneNationRadioWrestling
    *Appears Monthly After RAW PPV's on Chad Matthews' Podcast "The Doc Says"*
    *Voice Of The Doc Says Theme Music*
    *Find my music @ soundcloud.com/RichLatta*

    THANKS FOR READING. Until Next Time!










  12. #12
    Power Trippin' YourAyatollah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    3,905 miles from nonymo
    Posts
    1,776
    My suggestion wasn't really for a deep dive into the personal, nor was it even for considerably more length. What I was going for was one more paragraph, two at most, in which a specific instance is cited and your thoughts on it given. Not just the random mentions like AJ's title win or the Punjabi Prison but three or four sentences about just one of them. "I didn't like this because..." as opposed to "This thing sucked."

    I dig what you're going for, length-wise. I was just making my suggestion that I feel could add a little more depth to what you've already got. I do so not because it's my personal style or whatever but because despite the seeming perception among some that I don't know what I'm talking about, I've been here for almost 16 years and have a pretty decent grasp on what does and doesn't work, as well as how to tweak things in a fashion that can make a difference.

    I'll be reading, regardless.

    The Power Trip: Summer Lovin' (Tom Selleck) is up now. Click this and read it or I'll fucking ban you.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •