Page 160 of 161 FirstFirst ... 60110150158159160161 LastLast
Results 6,361 to 6,400 of 6408

Thread: WWE General Discussion Thread

Apparently Zelina Vega is playing AJ and Vince Vaughn is playing Jake the Snake Roberts in Fighting With My Family.

Vaughn? Really?

He’s a good actor who wasn’t taking challenging roles. Watch Brawl in Cell Block 99.

Why is Jake Roberts in the movie? lol

5e Andre documentary was rally good. Really paid tribute to Andre and showed what a star he was, and the pain he was in later in life.

What the most glaring part of the entire doc was when Andre was completely fucking with Hogan during the months before WM3. Hogan had no idea to what Andre was going to do, and the slam wasn’t scripted! Fun doc.

this is hilarious

The Brain
    I know some people really dislike Mauro but I appreciate how into it he gets.

It is pretty funny to watch out of context though.

I like Mauro, he throws too many freaking pop culture references instead of just calling the match.. him jumping up and then down is hilarious though and kinda what i expected.

Mauro's easy to take the piss out of because of both the whole 'Mamma Mia' thing and also the 'Like the Titanic, Andrade Almas is going down!' or whatever metaphor (metaphor or similie? I was never good at knowing which was which) he's using to describe something, but for all of that JR had his 'good God almighty's and his 'as God is my witness's and people loved and love him. I think he could tone it down a little for a play-by-play guy, but sod it wrestling is way over the top and so's he. He certainnly adds something to the commentary of a match. I can see him being a guy like JR where people say his commentary elevates a match in general.

I can't understand why people don't like Mauro. I miss him on smackdown to be completely honest. The last guy I enjoyed nearly as much as him on commentary was Matt Striker.

The Brain
    He does tend to shoehorn in some pretty ridiculous pop culture references and tortured phrases, in fairness.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    He does tend to shoehorn in some pretty ridiculous pop culture references and tortured phrases, in fairness.
    And if it was once in awhile, that would be fine but he does it every match... Its his style but the worst is when it doesn't really fit.. At this point, i just die laughing. But I still like him

The Greatest of All Time LWO4Life's Avatar
    Mauro's cool. I think he's fine in NXT. Obviously having Vince in his ear and all the other drama was too much. But on NXT he can be himself and I do get a JR losing his voice EVERY SINGLE RAW, screaming Stone Cold, Stone Cold, Slobber Knocker, As God As My Witness, and etc. But that's okay. That's his thing, I personally like it, and it adds to selling the talent in NXT.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    5e Andre documentary was rally good. Really paid tribute to Andre and showed what a star he was, and the pain he was in later in life.

What the most glaring part of the entire doc was when Andre was completely fucking with Hogan during the months before WM3. Hogan had no idea to what Andre was going to do, and the slam wasn’t scripted! Fun doc.
    I haven't watched the documentary yet, but if the WWE incorporated Hogan's famous line 'I had no idea until the end if Andre was going to job to me or not', well that's another Hogan tall tale and a lie. As Meltzer says about this, 'even I fucking knew in 87 months before Mania that Andre was putting Hogan over...' There was never any question. Hogan was their young new top star who had been on a 3 year roll and was at his peak, and Andre was basically immobile and in pain and his days were winding down. The idea that Vince even considered, or contemplated the notion of having their biggest PPV built around this one match, and would allow Andre to go over is absurd. IIRC, I remember reading that he even staked the future of the company on that WM.
    Last edited by Allystare; 04-11-2018 at 04:49 PM.

Hogan likes to tell that tale and tbh, it makes Andre look bad and that Hogan was the only one worthy to slam him. But Hogan and that ego..

It wasn't that Andre was not going to put Hogan over, it was that Hogan didn't know the finish before the show. According to Hogan and Tim White Andre was fucking with Hogan for weeks and would not disclose how he wanted to finish.

Hogan said that the match was planned to a T, except for the finish. They all knew Hogan would win, but not how. According to the doc, Andre ad libbed the finish to Hogan during the match.

The Greatest of All Time LWO4Life's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Allystare View Post
    I haven't watched the documentary yet, but if the WWE incorporated Hogan's famous line 'I had no idea until the end if Andre was going to job to me or not', well that's another Hogan tall tale and a lie. As Meltzer says about this, 'even I fucking knew in 87 months before Mania that Andre was putting Hogan over...' There was never any question. Hogan was their young new top star who had been on a 3 year roll and was at his peak, and Andre was basically immobile and in pain and his days were winding down. The idea that Vince even considered, or contemplated the notion of having their biggest PPV built around this one match, and would allow Andre to go over is absurd. IIRC, I remember reading that he even staked the future of the company on that WM.
    It wasn't that Andre was not going to put Hogan over, it was that Hogan didn't know the finish before the show. According to Hogan and Tim White Andre was fucking with Hogan for weeks and would not disclose how he wanted to finish.

Hogan said that the match was planned to a T, except for the finish. They all knew Hogan would win, but not how. According to the doc, Andre ad libbed the finish to Hogan during the match.
    I'm don't doubt Tim White on this. Wasn't White like Andre's handler back in the day? And Andre loved to fuck with people. So maybe Hogan thought that if Andre didn't agree to the finish, then maybe he thought Andre was going to fuck him over in the end. If I've learned anything from listening to wrestling shoots, it's that wrestlers (not just Hogan, but ALL wrestlers) love to tell tall tails, and they are paranoid sons of bitches. Everything I've heard from Hulk about this match screams this. And maybe he was worried about the slam. After all, Andre had been slammed before but he was also like 50 pounds lighter and his body wasn't as worn down. There are lots and lots of factors that made this match interesting. I mean, Meltzer is right, I was 6 at the time, and even I knew Hogan couldn't lose this match. But you just had to see it for yourself.

Andre was proud, and he liked to play practical jokes, and screw around with talent. He also liked to put wrestlers in their place from time to time (ie going dead weight, stiffing offense, he was also known for not washing purposefully, sometimes sticking his fingers in wrestlers during matches [yes, IN]. So wrestlers knew that even if an outcome was scripted a certain way, if Andre didn't like that outcome, he might do something about it in the match.

That is what Hogan was talking about. Andre screwed with him leading up to the match, never confirming that he would let Hogan lift him for the slam. Andre was ribbing Hogan, but Hogan, and all wrestlers then knew that Andre could make your life miserable if he wanted, so Hogan was genuinely concerned that Andre was going deadweight during that slam, and I'm sorry, but Andre going dead on anyone was detrimental to their health. Hogan was saying, essentially, that he didnt know the outcome beforehand, because he didnt know Andre's temperment going in. Which other guys confirmed Andre was just fucking with Hogan because he had quite the sense of humor.

I realize Hogan burned some bridges, but damn guys, lay off the witch hunt. All other legends have shit on their hands too.

In the doc I just watched it, its played up like Andre called for the slam in the ring and that Hogan who wrote the match layout, had the finish blank as if to say i'm not sure if Andre will put me over but that was plan (Vince even say so in the doc, everything will be fine he tells Hogan) and Andre, as much as a practical joker as he was, wasn't going to screw over Hogan and Vince on that show. I don't doubt that maybe he called for the finish but for Hogan to imply that Andre wouldn't put him over is just ludicrous.

I don't care if Hogan believes it, just makes him sound really dumb lol..

But Great doc. Really enjoyed it. Wonder if he got his condition fixed, he would still be alive.. I honestly don't think so because his body had already taken its toll.
    Last edited by Lazyking; 04-11-2018 at 11:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kleckamania View Post

I realize Hogan burned some bridges, but damn guys, lay off the witch hunt. All other legends have shit on their hands too.
    It's not a 'witch hunt'. Hogan is *notorious* for tall tales, from the whole 'Andre was 700+ pounds when I slammed him!' to 'I was gonna be in Metallica'. This is well known and a meme at this point.

If that's the version that was incorporated in the documentary, then that makes sense. Hogan has of course in interviews told the other version too.

That spot was not called on the fly. Come on guys. All you need for proof of that is the fact that Andre had that exact same spot used in every single one of his curtain call matches in the places he used to work. Inoki slammed him in Japan. El Canek slammed him in the UWA in Mexico. Hell even long before his retirement Andre let Hogan slam him while Hogan was a heel; I have the match on the Hogan DVD I own. He really wants to believe that spot was called on the fly when a) Andre had used it in all his other matches to put guys over big and b) it was clearly what they were building towards? I won't doubt for a minute that Andre might've messed with Hogan a bit but that's a bridge too hard for me to believe, especially when it's coming from Hogan, who as many have pointed out is not the most reliable source.

Also, didn't he do the same spot earlier in that match, but with Andre's weight overpowering Hogan, and leading to a 2 count?

Exactly. It's just the same old Hogan b.s. There's absolutely no way Andre, after allowing Inoki and Canek to slam him in order to put them over big, suddenly decided to wait till the last second to call for Hogan to slam him, in a match that was building towards Hogan slamming him of all things. I can't buy it for a second.

I haven't seen the documentary yet Allystare. Do they actually talk about Andre in Mexico and Japan and show Canek and Inoki slamming him?

I haven't seen it either. If I were to guess, they probably mention at least some of the Japan stuff since it was clearly an important part of his career, but it's WWE, so they could genuinely be ignorant of it, or gloss over it out of pettiness, just like the HOF ceremony this past weekend where they inducted Jeff Jarrett without once mentioning TNA (the most important bulk of his career). So who knows?
    Last edited by Allystare; 04-12-2018 at 12:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post
    Exactly. It's just the same old Hogan b.s. There's absolutely no way Andre, after allowing Inoki and Canek to slam him in order to put them over big, suddenly decided to wait till the last second to call for Hogan to slam him, in a match that was building towards Hogan slamming him of all things. I can't buy it for a second.

I haven't seen the documentary yet Allystare. Do they actually talk about Andre in Mexico and Japan and show Canek and Inoki slamming him?
    They don't mention anyone else slamming Andre but they do mention how Hogan/Andre used to have matches but for that feud to WM 3, vince pretty much ignored it. The doc is mainly about his life and how hard it was. As much as i enjoyed it, its also everything you've heard before, just HBO produced.. The biggest surprise i guess was the fact that Andre loved to fart lol.

Also towards the end, Vince almost broke down talking about Andre's passing. Apparently Vince and Andre weren't on good terms cause Andre felt pushed out.. because he couldn't perform.

I've seen it and it's OK, but it's a very WWE documentary - pretty much a fluff piece for them in places, and pretty much become a documentary about how big and great Hogan and WWE were in the 80s at one point for almost all of the second half. I was disappointed they didn't really get really into Andre's life behind the scenes aside from a couple of grinning talking heads saying he had a temper and that he didn't fit in places like normal humans.

They gloss over a lot, don't really talk to his family, hardly get into his life, and you don't get a lot of new information or details. And I get it - it's a WWE endorsed doc, so they are the greatest and best thing ever, WrestleMania is the hottest sports entertainment spectacular ever, and Hogan rules the 80s.

The better Andre doc is the graphic novel from a year ago or so.

The Brain
    I also read that Vince and Hogan's WM3 stories were much more contradictory when seen in full, but the editing kind of cut down on that so they could focus on what they wanted to focus on. Can't say it's true obviously but it would fit with the usual documentary style, there's only so much time to go into stuff like that so it can get left on the cutting room floor. Not even a slam really (no pun intended), just more grains of salt.

2010 Samsung Galaxy Tablet is what I got... CanadianCrippler's Avatar
    Looking forward to the superstar shake up next week if they actually focus on the mid-card. Personally I wouldn't mind the "main event" level talents staying on their respective shows mainly because I've gotten use to Lesnar not being around while AJ holds Smackdown up. But mostly everyone that's been a World Champion is floating in the mid-card taking up space. It's the guys like Roode, Miz, Ziggler, Balor, Anderson, Gallows, Strowman, Kanellis & Uso's that need a new platform to stay relevant on. Balor and Miz are really popular right now on Raw but could be World Title contenders on Smackdown any time now

Anybody got good predictions for tonight and tomorrow's swaps?

I think Braun is going to Smackdown, which is why they had him hand back the titles last week and barely featured him. But otherwise I've not got many guesses on who might be going where - I think they could also swap Finn Balor over to Smackdown, and then you can build your main event there around AJ, Nakamura, Finn, and Daniel Bryan. Which is a pretty mouth watering prospect on paper.

Smackdown to Raw swaps seem harder to predict. I'm kind of hoping they switch The Usos over, there's not much more for them to do on Smackdown, and possibly ship The Revival the other way.

I think Almas debuts this week, not sure about swaps

So Rusev/Undertaker is back on.

This Rusev stuff is really interesting.

The "sheets" are reporting that this is all a work, but if so, what's the endgame? I don't get it.

When Bryan and Austin were booked to be "held down" by the McMahons, there were always storyline reasons for being "buried," whether it was because Vince stacked the deck against Austin with handicap rules and special guest refs or Triple H was screwing Bryan over by enlisting his buddies Randy and Shawn to keep the title away from the "B+ Player." Now, I do believe that there was also some truth to McMahon not wanting Bryan to main event WM30, but in general, the kayfabe storyline of Bryan being held down mirrored the backstage gossip/drama/reporting.

But this shit? This shit is nonsensical - not just for Rusev, but for Reigns too. We're supposed to believe Reigns isn't Vince's boy, but Vince didn't screw him at Mania - he lost 100% clean. We're supposed to believe Rusev is being "held down"? How? By being inserted into titles matches? By getting to face the biggest legend in the company on a huge show?

If you're going to run with the storyline of "The Man" holding down a talent, the talent needs to seem like the guy who would win if "The Man" didn't get involved. With Reigns and Rusev, "The Man" doesn't need to get involved at all - they'll lose on their own.
    You wanted the best, you got this instead -

http://kwangtheblog.blogspot.com

My one-stop blog spot for full reviews of wrestling pay-per-views, TV supercards, and Network Specials.

The Brain
    It's the new kayfabe, don't you know we're all supposed to know it's a work and Vince screwed him by controlling the booking, so it's all part of the show but Roman is mad because it's a SHOOT! Ah shit, did WWE pull a TNA and secretly rehire Russo?

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    It's the new kayfabe, don't you know we're all supposed to know it's a work and Vince screwed him by controlling the booking, so it's all part of the show but Roman is mad because it's a SHOOT! Ah shit, did WWE pull a TNA and secretly rehire Russo?
    That's what I thought when I saw Roman's Russo-esque trainwreck explanation too.

Squared
    It's honestly a waste of time thinking about a mess like this... I'm going to stick to the two one - hour shows until the rest of the roster seem to have their shit together.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    But this shit? This shit is nonsensical - not just for Rusev, but for Reigns too. We're supposed to believe Reigns isn't Vince's boy, but Vince didn't screw him at Mania - he lost 100% clean.
    You know, this spins off into something quite interesting - should WWE have gone all in on Reigns not being Vince's 'boy' at Mania? You could have had him interfere because Brock couldn't put him down and then let Brock capitalise in some way to take the win (possibly with the Kimura rather than an F5...). And then you build into the story which WWE themselves are telling you exists.

I think the Rusev vs The Man thing is extrapolating a bit far, for me, and I think they're just jerking around a little (and possibly playing with the card for Saudi Arabia to create a buzz, I guess) - nobody has been kayfabe keeping Rusev down yet, and it's not really been acknowledged on TV as far as I'm aware. Not sure how the whole 'removing WWE from his social media' things adds into that, mind you. Perhaps it's something they're just starting off. Maybe they're going to build to Rusev vs Shane McMahon or something.

Honestly, i don't think they want to go that far because Vince would want to eventually do a match and he probably physically knows he should not be doing that. So they allude to it, it comes off as fake bs

The Brain
    Plus they tried that exact angle with Triple H and Roman, and it was one of the most panned Wrestlemania main events of all time.

And the build for that match made Roman look like a chump. I still remember Trips getting that big pop like a conquering hero to slay the dragon cause his ego wouldn't allow himself to look bad.

The Brain
    Absolutely, the story and execution of that was truly awful. Killed the momentum he'd picked up in 2015 stone dead.