Page 155 of 155 FirstFirst ... 55105145153154155
Results 6,161 to 6,178 of 6178

Thread: WWE General Discussion Thread

I mean, Mania last year was like 8 hours, SummerSlam was 6+ hours...Rumble this year was 6 hours or so wasn't it? That's including pre-shows, but given that the live crowd sits through some or all of those too.

It's not a stupid idea to combine the shows onto PPV, but then you do have to wonder why you bother splitting the shows at all...

JJ is in the Hall of Fame. Amazing and much deserved. I’m totally biased though.

Great midcarder during his runs with the WWE and horrible main eventer with other companies, at least in the big leagues. When I was watching old WCW Nitros, his storyline with the Horsemen was so forced.

I shouldn't be surprised but like Jarrett felt like the one guy who never would come back into the fold. I hope this means he's doing okay.

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
    Great midcarder during his runs with the WWE and horrible main eventer with other companies, at least in the big leagues. When I was watching old WCW Nitros, his storyline with the Horsemen was so forced.
    I’m one of the few who loved him at TNA. He was a great heel main eventer who was comfortable talking and often put on quality matches. I was invested in his feuds and feel TNA miss him more than anything else.

The Brain
    Was just watching him hit Gary Coleman with a guitar after standing up to an entire NFL football team. HOF material, for sure!

I'm really excited to see his speech. I hope he brings up Owen and i kinda i want to see a Jarrett WWE produced dvd

It's kind of perplexing to me that Jarrett would go in just a few months after he was actively endangering dudes wrestling drunk at Triplemania. Not that that should've kept him out; I just would've waited until he clean for certain like they did with Hall, Jake Roberts and so on.

That aside, it's overdue. People have and will say this and that about Jarrett but if you really think about it, at worst he was a really solid overall performer who got over to some degree everywhere he went, had great longevity and really only has a bad reputation for a) doing the same thing Triple H did, b) working most of his career for a company not named WWE, c) a Mike Graham soundbite and d) holding up Vince, which he frankly had every right to do considering Jim Ross intentionally let his deal expire and all the money was owed to Jarrett anyway. Not a great draw by any means, but a good chunk of the guys in the WWE Hall of Fame weren't either. So good for him. I just hope he is clean and doesn't have another episode during his speech like he just did in Mexico recently.

I'm not "anti Jarrett," but I do think its going a bit far to call his induction "overdue."

As a worker, I found Jarrett to be good-not-great, obviously capable of holding his own against really strong opponents like Michaels and Benoit in the 90s and even Angle and AJ in the 00s, but was nowhere near the talent of any of the 4 mentioned (or Bret Hart or prime Austin or even Foley) in that I don't think Jarrett was really ever great at pulling a good match out of a bad opponent. His bouts with Razor Ramon and Mongo McMichael, for example, are bland and boring on re-watch despite the fact that the angles/storylines around those feuds actually had some heat.

As others have opined, I think this has most to do with some sort of tape library deal that the Jarretts must be working out with Vince. Even if we're just talking "mid-90s" performers that deserve to go in before Jarrett (ignoring the plethora of older should-be shoe-in inductions like Bruiser Brody, El Santo, and Ivan Koloff) and the Attitude Era And Beyond guys that should be going in shortly (The Rock, Mysterio, etc.), I'd certainly put Bam Bam Bigelow (how many WrestleManias[ did Jarrett even appear on let alone main event?), Owen Hart and Davey Boy Smith, Lex Luger (fair or not, a much bigger star than Jarrett), and even Liger (in-ring wise, way more influential) into the Hall before Jarrett. That's not to say Jeff Jarrett is undeserving, just that I think even during the doldrums of American wrestling that were 94', 95', and most of 96', Jeff Jarrett wasn't exactly as bright a star as others.
    You wanted the best, you got this instead -

http://kwangtheblog.blogspot.com

My one-stop blog spot for full reviews of wrestling pay-per-views, TV supercards, and Network Specials.

Owen Hart is only going to go in if his family gives their blessing.

The Brain
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Lex Luger (fair or not, a much bigger star than Jarrett)
    At the risk of kicking up another argument, I'm going to go ahead and say very fair.

Squared
    Fair to observe that he was? Undeniably true.

Fair that he would be the bigger star given their respective talents? Far more debatable.

@lopprimetime

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    Fair that he would be the bigger star given their respective talents? Far more debatable.
    Not really no. I don't agree with mizfan that Luger was better than certain people (*cough* Sting *cough*) but the "Lex Luger was average at best" narrative is the same sort of WWE revisionist history that's hurt Jeff Jarrett. At his best Luger was a far more memorable, and better, performer than Jarrett in many regards. The problem is it didn't happen in WWE; it happened in Jim Crockett Promotions during the 80's and WCW in the 90's, when Luger was legitimately as over as Steve Austin at one point during the Monday Night Wars. If you don't take those two periods of time into account and only judge him for his WWE run (which, while not good, was also not entirely his fault when you consider WWE neutered him by not having him beat Yoko) then yeah, the argument wouldn't be fair towards Jarrett. But when you take both those eras into account and see the good to great matches Luger had with Sting, Flair, Hansen, The Outsiders, Giant and so on (not to mention how over he was) then you'll see it's completely fair that Luger was more over. He's frankly been treated worse by WWE than Jarrett has; at least Jarrett has been ignored. Luger's failings have been pointed out for eons.

Squared
    You've misunderstood my position in that reply, Cult. I don't denigrate Luger when I say that. I just rate Jarrett more highly at everything except that indefinable 'look at me' aspect.

Frankly, I think they are both a bit underrated in certain quarters. Both hindered as much by doing stupid stuff that they were given as by anything else. Jarrett probably has to take a lot of the blame for that later in his career as he wrote a lot of the checks. But I believe Jarrett is the better interview, and wrestler, the vast majority of the time. Luger was a better in-ring performer than some give him credit for but I'd only rate him above Double J in terms of that X-Factor.

Anyone who wants to say they are both underrated nowadays will get only agreement from me.

@lopprimetime

Maybe I should've edited it to say Sid (who was also, fair or not, a much bigger star than Jarrett).

Based on Triple H's tweet, Jarrett is also being given the nod for his role in giving a stage to many of the company's current stars. While I think that his efforts there warrant consideration, its still a bit odd to see him in the Hall before other promoters - Bischoff, for example - who also had a hand in helping to make Eddie Guerrero, Rey Mysterio, Chris Jericho, and Goldberg huge stars in the industry.

My one-stop blog spot for full reviews of wrestling pay-per-views, TV supercards, and Network Specials.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I'm not "anti Jarrett," but I do think its going a bit far to call his induction "overdue."

As a worker, I found Jarrett to be good-not-great, obviously capable of holding his own against really strong opponents like Michaels and Benoit in the 90s and even Angle and AJ in the 00s, but was nowhere near the talent of any of the 4 mentioned (or Bret Hart or prime Austin or even Foley) in that I don't think Jarrett was really ever great at pulling a good match out of a bad opponent. His bouts with Razor Ramon and Mongo McMichael, for example, are bland and boring on re-watch despite the fact that the angles/storylines around those feuds actually had some heat.

As others have opined, I think this has most to do with some sort of tape library deal that the Jarretts must be working out with Vince. Even if we're just talking "mid-90s" performers that deserve to go in before Jarrett (ignoring the plethora of older should-be shoe-in inductions like Bruiser Brody, El Santo, and Ivan Koloff) and the Attitude Era And Beyond guys that should be going in shortly (The Rock, Mysterio, etc.), I'd certainly put Bam Bam Bigelow (how many WrestleManias[ did Jarrett even appear on let alone main event?), Owen Hart and Davey Boy Smith, Lex Luger (fair or not, a much bigger star than Jarrett), and even Liger (in-ring wise, way more influential) into the Hall before Jarrett. That's not to say Jeff Jarrett is undeserving, just that I think even during the doldrums of American wrestling that were 94', 95', and most of 96', Jeff Jarrett wasn't exactly as bright a star as others.
    This is the WWE HOF you're talking about, which is not in any sense a real HOF, and has no real standards, aside from Vince's whims. There is no criteria, no voting, no board or body of group, just Vince. Writers who've worked with Vince have mentioned in interviews the process behind all of this. Usually it's whomever Vince happens to like at a particular time, and whomever he's nursing a grudge against. Therefore, saying 'so and so belongs in there', or 'so and so doesn't belong in there' is a completely meaningless statement, with regards to the WWE HOF.

Exactly, if anything, Jarrett draws a buzz cause no one expected it. The event is supposed to draw tickets but with Goldberg as the main draw that shouldn't be an issue... and guys that have gotten in will go in eventually. If Jarrett was still running impact he wouldn't even be considered.

Quote Originally Posted by Allystare View Post
    Usually it's whomever Vince happens to like at a particular time, and whomever he's nursing a grudge against. Therefore, saying 'so and so belongs in there', or 'so and so doesn't belong in there' is a completely meaningless statement, with regards to the WWE HOF.
    If my criticisms of the Hall of Fame are "completely meaningless," then so are opinions about everything Vince has control over, which is all the booking, all the storylines, all the characters, all the debates of who should be pushed and who should not, etc.

Like, yeah, I get it, there's no logic beyond "Vince wants so-and-so in the Hall, so he's going in," but that doesn't mean bringing up how odd it is and discussing why its so odd is "completely meaningless." After last night, people are buzzing about Seth Rollins and discussing how he should be put in a high profile match at Mania - by your reasoning, any such discussions would be inherently "meaningless" because ultimately Vince books the company.

Finally, I'd also just note that my post wasn't even so much about Jarrett going into the WWE, as much as it was a refutation of comments about how Jarrett was "overdue" for such acknowledgment.