Page 152 of 161 FirstFirst ... 52102142150151152153154 ... LastLast
Results 6,041 to 6,080 of 6408

Thread: WWE General Discussion Thread

You do realize that he didn't even want to let go of XFL in the first place after week 2 when it tanked, right? He didn't want to throw in the towel in 2001, despite the enormous amount of money he lost and was going to lose, and eventually only backed down because no one would give him a TV deal.

Vince is (or rather was a genius) in certain things about wrestling, but outside of that he has a very narrow view, can often be out of touch, and can be single-mindedly obdurate once he resolves to do something. He's a smart guy, no doubt, but he has his flaws and blinders, and increasingly so in the past 15 years. Every venture, without any exception that I can think of, outside of wrestling has failed for him. He also his this desire (always had) of being *more* than just the 'wrasslin' promoter' which probably stems from his well-known latent self-loathing about the wrestling business, so he isn't just content to be successful/good at wrestling. He has to be more than that. And part of him, because he is super competitive, wants to avail the XFL failure, and all the ridicule that was poured onto him in the aftermath of that. He went from being perceived as the Walt Disney of wrestling in 2001 to being an utter low-rent laughingstock because of the XFL.

I'm not sure if he's bringing the XFL back, but I do think he wants to make some sort of - probably ill-advised - move into the NFL, in 2018 of all years.

He does have WWE Studios which has well over 30 movies made. Most are straight to video, but there has to be a profit otherwise why continue to make the movies?

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    He does have WWE Studios which has well over 30 movies made. Most are straight to video, but there has to be a profit otherwise why continue to make the movies?
    It's pretty much a failure, with a few exceptions.

See here for detailed figures: https://indeedwrestling.blogspot.ca/...rofitable.html

I wonder why WWE don't do more in the vein of sporting movies, you'd think that would be far more suited to the their audience and also the skills of their lead actors.

Can we get WWE to remake Mighty Ducks?

Why? No more remakes. Why doesn't the WWE make an actual wrestling movie. Why don't they create a fictional guy or girl and create a story about the struggles of becoming a professional wrestler? You could have the entire performance center and NXT roster be the supporting cast.

WWE Superstars will be on the Nickelodeon show Paradise Run next week. It's like a kid obstacle course kind of game and from the commercials I saw the Uso's, Naomi, Kalisto, Bayley and Apollo Crews, but there are three on each show so there should be more.

Any chance Vince will ever let anyone use this double moonsault?

Not many can actually do it. Except Ricochet and probably Neville.

I don't see why not though. Its not dangerous.

The Brain
    It's insanely dangerous...

Squared
    That's a fucking sickener.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

Just thinking here, and throwing something out there to see what you all think.

I know that there has been the debate to who is the actual "biggest star" of wrestling really is. The four names that are always paired together are Hogan, the Rock, Austin and Cena. My thought is that even with this huge debate, I think that the debate could be over, and the biggest star is the Rock.

We can list all of their merits, drawing ability, and all the usual data for the comparison, BUT in the years of discussions, I do not think that anyone prior to me (I could be wrong) ever used one simple fact. The Rock has beaten all three, Austin, Hogan and John Cena all at Wrestlemania. These are the three other names that are associated with the biggest star, and the Rock is the only person with victories over all three at Mania. This one simple fact should answer some of the questions.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    It's insanely dangerous...

Yeah for people who shouldn't do it.. yikes. I mean I said Ricochet and probably Neville. That's it, who would even attempt something like that.

Super Moderator
    It's a pretty dangerous move, man. That kid probably wasn't busting it on on a whim -- he's probably nailed it a thousand times in the past and in training. It just takes that one time where you don't quite get that rotation or you're blown up or the ropes are a little loose or slippery.

Look at Brock with the shooting star. He'd done it so many times over in the past easily, but when he was sweaty and blown up and trying to cover a little too much distance, he broke his neck.

A lot of these guys are doing a lot of these moves on cables. WWE uses ropes and it's a very different proposition.

Fair enough. However, I don't think the move would be banned per se. I could see someone being allowed to try it. maybe i'm offbase but seems most moves are banned because they're dangerous to the opponent's head.

Squared
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post
    A lot of these guys are doing a lot of these moves on cables. WWE uses ropes and it's a very different proposition.
    I think the impact of this on really basic stuff, never mind something like the move in the video, can't be overstated and is quite often overlooked.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

That's not something I'd ever considered.

Isn't Ricochet due to be signed in the not too distant future? I thought the story was that post-LU3 finishing up he basically had the contract to sign and was set to be a big deal in WWE.

I think his last appearance will be either this weekend or next when he appears at PWG's Mystery Vortex to drop the belt. After that he's off to WWE with War Machine. As for being a big deal...LOL. Maybe eventually, but he's definitely going to NXT first and, unless they're going to make him Prince Puma 2.0, I have serious doubts that his ceiling is much higher than Neville's unless he learns how to cut a promo. The bigger deal is War Machine; they have a chance to not only be huge in NXT but huge in the whole company. Them vs. Harper and Rowan will be something when it happens.

Something very, very hairy.

I don't know with Ricochet - I feel like he'll probably end up on 205Live, but I hope he gets an NXT run before hand because Full Sail is going to go nuts for him doing his shit.

Super Moderator
    I'm torn. On the one hand, I'd love to see him as the top baby on 205 Live. On the other hand, he's billed right now at 197. He could easily put on five pounds, up that billing to 215 and tear it up on the main roster.

He's so talented athletically, that I would love to see Ricochet get a real shot on the main roster. They can easily hide his flaws if they want.

Edit: They treat Balor like a star and he has no mic skills at all.
    Last edited by Lazyking; 01-11-2018 at 05:51 PM.

Squared
    US title tournament final has been bumped from the Rumble onto the Smackdown before hand.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

So I already put up a Ricochet thread, as WWE have now confirmed his signing, but they've also just confirmed they've signed War Machine from RoH/NJPW.

Apparently EC3's terms of release mean he is pretty much free to sign wherever he wants immediately too. Could be a big few days for signings.

Would and EC3 Rumble appearance get a pop, do you guys think?

Squared
    Good question. Maybe? I can see him getting a pop of recognition, but I wouldn't want to bet my house on it.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

I hope so. Always loved the guy. Not many go from WWE to TNA and make a bigger name for themselves. I'd certainly pop for him and who I'm hoping one of the surprise entrants are.

Samuel Plan
    More fire stoking these Bryan rumours. Out of interest, am I the only one here who doesn't actually want to see him wrestle again, and especially in WWE?

Quote Originally Posted by 'Plan View Post
    More fire stoking these Bryan rumours. Out of interest, am I the only one here who doesn't actually want to see him wrestle again, and especially in WWE?
    No, you are not. I don't think he should wrestle even if cleared. He's already been injured twice and should he get injured a third time, it may be a lot more severe and there is no coming back from it. He should take the previous two injuries as a sign that it's time to hang up them boots for good. I like Daniel Bryan and all and can appreciate how passionate he is, but he shouldn't risk another injury.

Squared
    My Mrs feels the same way. Loves the guy but I don't think she will ever feel comfortable watching him Wrestle again, nor will she ever think he's OK to do it.

I'm not so fixed in that but I can't deny that I sometimes feel like that myself.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

I get people feeling like Bryan shouldn't wrestle... but, if he's cleared by every single doctor except by WWE because they have other reasoning why they wouldn't clear him, I don't see why he shouldn't. He's not going to wrestle if he's told flat out its a bad idea. I also don't think that anyone should live in fear of getting injured again.

I'd have no problem with him wrestling anywhere. The dude was cleared by every doctor he went to aside from WWE's, and once again, WWE's doctor is the exact same guy who was involved in trying to discredit/cover up the NFL concussion fiasco. It's amazing to me how no one has yet to pick up on how little credibility that guy has; even Baron Corbin supposedly called him out in front of the locker room this past Summer after Maroon tried to do a presentation on CTE where he tried to downplay its effects (as a former NFL guy, Corbin was part of the concussion lawsuit against the NFL). And keep in mind that's all without taking into account that he cleared Paige to come back even though every other doctor advised her not to return. So frankly, until I see someone not named Joseph Maroon tell Bryan it isn't okay to wrestle, I say let him do it (though I do hope he uses a safer style). I don't believe however it'll be in WWE; if he does get the clean bill of health later this year, my guess is he does a few big shows in Japan and an Apuesta match in CMLL. That's where you'll see him next.

Even if Maroon was this great doctor, he knows and whoever is looking at Bryan's health from WWE's pov that if Bryan gets injured wrestling for WWE again, then it makes them look bad for clearing him.... He would have to be a 1000% sure he'd never get hurt again and you can never be sure about that...

* I think the irony of bringing Daniel Bryan back in the Rumble is that, in that scenario, you have to have him win because the audience will shit on anything else even though, right now, he's really not as over as he was in 2014 (which isn't a knock against him, its just that he's been inactive for a long time now). My pick is still Nakamura, but even if they did go with Reigns, they'd at least know the level of hate he'd get for winning would likely be less than the hate he got 2 years ago. I mean, he's going to get booed - its Philly, its the Rumble - but there's also a growing number of "smart" fans who are beginning to realize that for the past 18 months or so, Reigns has had consistently better matches than just about anyone on the roster not named AJ Styles. They've made progress with Reigns just like the 09' Cena got booed far less than the 06' Cena and now, in 2018, the anti-Cena chants are "part of the show" more than anything else (I can't wait till that eventual HoF speech and the "One More Match" chant that will sound as thousands of people finally just admit that Cena's an all-time great).

* 205 Live tour shows are reportedly doing dismal gates. Not surprised here. For starters, when 205 Live started, Austin Aries and Neville were presented rather prominently to drum up interest and while that didn't lead to gangbuster business (reports of people leaving SmackDown before the tapings was common), you at least had two semi-established pros leading the charge for the brand. Now, its Enzo and, well, a bunch of guys with either unproven track records as legit stand-alone indie draws (Drew Gulak, Brian Kendrick) or are arguably years past when they could've been that much-needed "name" (Hideo Itami). They added Bray Wyatt and Matt Hardy to the touring roster for that very purpose but the exact same criticisms can be leveled against them too - Wyatt was never a stand-alone draw and Matt Hardy's #Broken peak is feeling more and more like a distant memory (which it kind of should considering it happened in July 2016).

* EC3 would get a very, very small reaction if he were to debut at the Rumble. AJ Styles wasn't just a "TNA character," he was Mr. TNA during its peak years, almost always featured prominently and often associated with some of the bigger names - from Jarrett to Christian and Jeff Hardy to Angle to Sting to Ric Flair and Hulk Hogan, Styles really worked every big name TNA ever had. From a workrate perspective, he was already being called one of the best of his generation 10 years ago. Then, you throw in the NJPW work and how nicely his run there dovetailed with the growth of indie wrestling's cool factor and the fact that the 2016 Rumble happened in Orlando and you end up with the perfect storm for Styles debut. EC3 has none of those intangibles going for him right now. I mean, I'm a fairly big wrestling fan (big enough to post here) and even I've only seen the guy wrestle maybe twice on TV, never on PPV. He's not a "name" and doesn't have that "best wrestler on the planet" hype that AJ Styles had in 2016 either. He'd come out to crickets.
    You wanted the best, you got this instead -

http://kwangtheblog.blogspot.com

My one-stop blog spot for full reviews of wrestling pay-per-views, TV supercards, and Network Specials.

Reportdly, Royal Rumble 2019 will be in Phoenix at Chase Field where the MLB Arizona Diamondbacks play.

At 3 p.m. today Vince is making a major announcement. It's expected to be the XFL 2.0.

EDIT: xfl.jpg

Super Moderator
    I'll eat my words. I am floored that in this climate he'd be looking to launch a pro football league. I think it's safe to say that, while he might remain Chair of the Board, there will be a new CEO installed for WWE in the near future.

He said this time it will be completely separate from WWE too. No wrestling commentators or personalities.

Said he would hire someone to be the figurehead and nothing is changing at WWE, he'll still be the CEO. if anyone can do it, Vince can... but same time, he's old as fuck and it shows

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
    Said he would hire someone to be the figurehead and nothing is changing at WWE, he'll still be the CEO. if anyone can do it, Vince can... but same time, he's old as fuck and it shows
    That's my concern. How is the guy going to be the Vince McMahon who runs WWE the way he runs it now AND keep his eyes on XFL. He can hire someone to run it all he wants, but we all know he's not going to be hands off.

There's now an XFL thread down in sports to discuss.