Page 102 of 152 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112 ... LastLast
Results 4,041 to 4,080 of 6067

Thread: WWE General Discussion Thread

Well the only reason she's there now is because of Cody... I mean she's gorgeous, I love her but she's not a great ring announcer.. I figure whatever Cody does next, they'll want to be together since i believe they traveled to shows together.

If the rumors of Goldust leaving Smackdown with Cody are true it looks like they may all be gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
    Well the only reason she's there now is because of Cody... I mean she's gorgeous, I love her but she's not a great ring announcer.. I figure whatever Cody does next, they'll want to be together since i believe they traveled to shows together.
    I was going through some pics I took of a live Raw show I went to. I had more pics of her than I did of everything else on the show. LOL!

Super Moderator
    Cody is part of a generation of wrestlers -- alongside Dolph, Barrett and even guys like Morrison -- who have been killed by the lack of a true number two company and WWE wanting nothing to do with the indies for 10 years.

If you're a midcarder in WWE for almost a decade, it's hard to push past being seen as a midcarder. But with a number two, or an indy scene that WWE pays attention to, you can go make a name for yourself and come back with a higher profile.

EDIT: Just read Cody's Twitter post. Shit. When someone has that much fire to prove you wrong as they leave, look out WWE. His goal appears to be to go somewhere, become the number one guy and prove that he can be a top name.

On top of that, the range shown through Stardust and his friendship with Amel might just get him some work that would no doubt put him on Hollywood's radar.

This guy could be setting the world on fire very soon. You know how I've been saying that TNA had no buzz and that's what's been holding them back? What's going to generate more buzz, within the realm of hardcore wrestling fans at least, than a Cody Rhodes with a chip on his shoulder and a live mic? It's so 90s and overplayed, but definitely would be buzzworthy.
    Last edited by Team Farrell; 05-22-2016 at 08:34 PM.

What a letter. The only question now is who will be lucky enough to get him.

I'm huge fan of Cody so I'm hyped to see wherever he goes.. Hell I think he could make it in Acting now with some of his connections...he's young enough, good looking to really make it there...

Or help any wrestling company.

I think Rhodes definitely has potential, but you're wrong about TNA. Nothing, least of all Cody (who is great, but no huge star) can reignite a buzz for TNA. Its a damaged brand through and through. I hope he goes somewhere else.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post
    What a letter. The only question now is who will be lucky enough to get him.
    Tough call.

NJPW is probably pretty full on the gaijin front, but he does fill that Finn Balor, super handsome white dude, role.
    He could help a ROH that's going to have a lot of talent contracts end in 2016.
    TNA could use him and, as I said, he could create buzz among hardcore fans that might get their eyeballs on a buzzless product.
    I don't know about LU just because they're so stacked with talent, and Jack Evans, that he'd almost need to something gimmick heavy to stand out.

Or he could be a journeyman free agent like ADR, work almost all of those places and establish himself as the guy of 2016/17.
    Last edited by Team Farrell; 05-22-2016 at 09:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post
    I don't know about LU just because they're so stacked with talent, and Jack Evans, that he'd almost need to something gimmick heavy to stand out.
    Are you admitting an undying love for Jack Evans there Coach?!

Here's why I do think LU is potentially the landing spot for him (much like I do with Barrett); the acting element. One of the reasons Johnny Mundo ultimately joined after getting out of wrestling for a bit was because LU gave him the opportunity not just to wrestle but to scratch the acting itch with the backstage scenes they shoot. I think that kind of element creatively appeals to guys like Cody and Wade, who aren't just into wrestling but also have acting aspirations. I'm not saying it's a given and Cody is the kind of guy, much like Wade, that I think can succeed anywhere. But that element, combined with the fact that LU is a new promotion with a unique look and the lack of stink that TNA has makes it very viable.

Don't WHAT? Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody Rhodes View Post
    Setting foot in the dingy ol' Greensboro Coliseum this past Monday can only be described for me as just a whimsical moment of clarity. At this point, most folks know that I have indeed asked for my release from the WWE, but it's paramount in my mind for the fans of pro-wrestling to have some answers and not be left with questions. A many superlative can be used to describe my mentor in wrestling, but one I often forget about... is fearless. And it's a trait I wish more of had been passed down my way.

So there I was, standing in the very same locker-room Ric Flair had dressed in before changing the Wrestling/PPV game forever and capturing the NWA Title at Starrcade 83, "a Flair for the gold"; it's sad that after once again being benched off TV that my fate in said spot was instead to be relegated to watching a monitor advertising a returning star and kicking open my tumi gear bag to find an outfit I had long outgrown and a face-paint kit. Both HHH and VKM have given me many fun and challenging opportunities in my career, and I showed my gratitude by always pushing for the best segment I could create, the most interest I could generate. They gave me the chance to train on the job with some of the most brilliant minds in our world (Arn and Finlay). I would do this job for free, but that didn't stop WWE from compensating me in a generous manned. My goal in pro-wrestling has always been to win the WWE Championship (The one accolade in the game my Father never obtained. and for a decade I tried to convince both Vince and HHH that I could be their star-player, their varsity qb if you will, but it seems we have reached the point where neither saw that in me. I sincerely appreciate HHH's unflinching respect for my father and how he acted as a custodian of history in honouring him since his passing. He did not owe me the same respect he gave dream, but I thought I could earn it in time. One of the last discussions we had included him telling me that "wwe is a play and everybody has their roles and needs to act it their best". All I can think to say to that is, "the best actors don't want the lesser roles". In the past 6 months I have pleaded with WWE creative and both of my bosses to let me roll-the-dice and once again be Cody Rhodes. I had pitched to every writer on staff like a door-to-door salesman on "how" & "why" & "when"... and believe me there are many of those who sought to help me (Brian James, Nick, Faz, J Russo, Dave K, the JBL show and a few others) but for all that, both " head writers" of RAW and Smackdown (One pretending to be Brian Gewirtz and the other too busy hitting on developmental divas) continued to not return my pitches or e-mais. and in face-to-face encounters tried to big league me by pretending to be on their clearly powered off laptops... barely willing to listen to an idea I considered beneficial to more than one talent. What's that expression? Don't take no for an answer... what do you do when you don't get an answer at all? So there I was... having done everything I could possibly do for ten years to make the most out of both large opportunities and even the half-cocked ones like "paint up like your brother". Chicken shit into chicken salad became my specialty ; and those worth opportunities afforded me... I can only hope I fully executed. I've made the walk down the ramp at multiple WMs, and have had a WM match cancelled while I stood at the curtain moments before my music hit. I felt like I had a bag of those brass rings and when to time to cash it in came, I find I can't do so.

Like I said, Monday was whimsical... because I felt that fearlessness in my blood, even if just for a fleeting moment. I realized I don't need to sell myself to these two writers captaining a broken unrecognisable system, matter a fact with the time I had put in and th body of work I had it should be the other way round. I realised blood is thicker than paint, I know who I am and what I'm capable of... I'm not Dusty Rhodes. I'm Cody Rhodes. I'm a pro-wrestler. I'm proud of that. It's been said to never leave money on the table, but no money is worth being less than you are. Ask my wife, I don't even read the check breakdowns... this was never about money, this was always about the moments, and I'll be damned if my fathers legacy is "stardust" or a series of sizzle -reels for NXT. Its not my job to pick up his sword. It's my privelege. I will miss many of the soldiers in that locker room, some who I have earned their friendship. Guys like Cesaro, Ryder, Breeze, KO, Harper, Tye, Ascension and the NC... Keep that locker room clean and keep having a better match than you're supposed to, I do believe the cream rises and hard work prevails. My work just needs to be elsewhere, I want to thank both fans and critics of mine alike. There is no greater responsibility than a fan who expects a level of entertainment from you, and theres nothing more motivating than those who buy a ticket yet find something lacking (considering the first few caw years of my career). Again, from the BOTTOM OF MY HEART... thank you. Almost one year ago, the biggest light in my sky sky was ripped from me when I lost my my father. It's time for me to try and seek that illumination... that glow that's still out there. This is not a goodbye. There's a whole world of film and television and the stage that I might find I have a knack for (maybe I even already have an offer) As far as the future is concerned though, I'm a wrestler. So that's what I'll do... Wrestle.
    The saddest part of this is him wanting to be Cody again after his father passed. Also Ward might be a helluva writer, but is a shitty person I guess.

What does Ryan Ward have to do with any of this?

Don't WHAT? Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post
    What does Ryan Ward have to do with any of this?

The part about the head writers. Singh is the head writer of RAW (who's is referred to as the the Gerwitz wannabe) and Ward is the lead writer for SD who seems to like to hit on the new girls *shrugs*

Didn't Ward just get that job a couple of months ago? Cody seems to be indicating the writer hitting on new girls was something that occurred over the past year, which would be before Ward came on board.

Don't WHAT? Me.
    You think the (former) lead writer for NXT would prolly have access to the new NXT girls no?

I figure Ward got verbally slapped because he was one of the last people Cody pitched to.

I suppose. My interpretation was that this had been going on before Ward got there, but who knows?

not to defend Ward, but we don't know the details of "hitting on the divas" unprofessional yeah but idk if I'd condemn the guy..

It just boggles my mind that WWE refuses to try ANYTHING a talent brings them... I mean sure not everyone has great ideas but Cody obviously wasn't going in and checking out.. He put his all into anything he got and the company just gave up on him.. I'd want to reward someone's hard work instead of saying "everyone has their role, play it like a good solider."

Goldberg Rules!
    Unprofessional, my ass. Get some where you can get some.

It's absolutely Ward when you think about it logically. If it was a guy who is now gone, then why wouldn't Cody have then pitched to Ward? And the way Cody describes him chasing female developmental talent doesn't just sound like a compliment here and a ask to get together there- it sounds like the guy is acting like a hollywood director saying a girl will definitely get a great role in his next film if she rolls around with him.

That's pretty sad that they didn't let him turn when Dusty died, because the audience was clearly clamoring to cheer for him. Instead they kept in that silly Stardust character, as a heel. A relative/friend dies, you turn heel, that's one of the oldest tricks in wrestling. Even in Hollywood/TV, this would be common sense... But not to the WWE.

Don't WHAT? Me.
    Split Rosters

LIVE Tuesday Night SmackDown

Hell Yeah.

http://www.wwe.com/shows/smackdown/a...9?sf26901739=1

Starts in July, which makes BattleGround the first split PPV.
    Last edited by phemom; 05-25-2016 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by phemom View Post
    Split Rosters

Hell Yeah.

Does this mean we get back the Split titles too? Hope so.

Split Rosters

Hell Yeah.

Starts in July, which makes BattleGround the first split PPV.
    Why is that viewed as a good thing? I see a lot of people clamoring for it, even though it makes no sense. The WWE roster is as loaded as ever when it comes to *talent*, but when it comes to actual stars, they're more bare than ever as well. They have a lot of guys on roster who could be stars, but for one reason or another, they've all been mismanaged, and aren't.

You have Cena and Brock at the top. Way down from them is Reigns, and then way down from him is everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Allystare View Post
    Why is that viewed as a good thing? I see a lot of people clamoring for it, even though it makes no sense. The WWE roster is as loaded as ever when it comes to *talent*, but when it comes to actual stars, they're more bare than ever as well. They have a lot of guys on roster who could be stars, but for one reason or another, they've all been mismanaged, and aren't.

You have Cena and Brock at the top. Way down from them is Reigns, and then way down from him is everyone else.
    In theory this is a way to create stars, get more people tv time and opportunities, give fresh mash-ups, and breakup a soon-to-be very crowded but extremely exclusive main event scene.

As long as they maintain that Smackdown is equal to RAW instead of relegating SD to a b-show, this will be fun at first. Maintaining this over the long run is going to be the challenge. The brand-split was a lot better in 2004 than it was in 2010. I mean, before the official ending of the brand split in 2011, the last SD main-event of a PPV was SummerSlam 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Allystare View Post

You could say the same thing about 2002/2003. There was maybe 1-2 stars. Austin walked out in 2002. Rock was done by 2003. So the stars were Undertaker ... then Angle, HHH and everyone else. The brand split, in my opinion elevated guys and gave some guys the oxygen to become main eventers.

The original split. It allowed guys to get over. It created main eventers. Stars? maybe. Would John Cena have gotten the same oppertunity with Evolution on top of the card if he didnt have spotlight of Smackdown? Would he have gotten that US title run? Without that feud with JBL then Cena may never have gotten the shove. Remember, going into 2004-2005, it was all Batista/Randy Orton as the next face of the WWE. If it wasn't for the brand split, Cena may not be a star.

Sure, part of the question is, will Smackdown have a creative force like Paul E. Dangerously or Dusty Rhodes again? I doubt it, but HHH has shown a different sort of booking style on NXT, so ... maybe. If the WWE can succeed in making Raw and Smackdown two different TV shows that feel a little different and maybe look a little different then I can see how Smackdown could become a success again. If anything, it is a great way to experiment with new things or give talents enough rope to hang themselves.
    Last edited by Irishsara; 05-25-2016 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Irishsara View Post
    You could say the same thing about 2002/2003. There was maybe 1-2 stars. Austin walked out in 2002. Rock was done by 2003. So the stars were Undertaker ... then Angle, HHH and everyone else. The brand split, in my opinion elevated guys and gave some guys the oxygen to become main eventers.

The original split. It allowed guys to get over. It created main eventers. Stars? maybe. Would John Cena have gotten the same oppertunity with Evolution on top of the card if he didnt have spotlight of Smackdown to get that US title run and that feud with JBL then Cena may never have gotten the shove. Remember, going into 2004-2005, it was all Batista/Randy Orton as the next face of the WWE. If it wasn't for the brand split, Cena may not be a star.

Sure, part of the question is, will Smackdown have a creative force like Paul E. Dangerously or Dusty Rhodes again? I doubt it, but HHH has shown a different sort of booking style on NXT, so ... maybe. If the WWE can succeed in making Raw and Smackdown two different TV shows that feel a little different and maybe look a little different then I can see how Smackdown could become a success again. If anything, it is a great way to experiment with new things or give talents enough rope to hang themselves.
    What do you think would be the biggest roadblock to a HHH booked Smackdown? I know that it leaves NXT in a bind to find a new head man, but new opportunities is what made NXT great in the first place.

Don't WHAT? Me.
    No more spoilers, no more piped in crowd noise, more time for people, yes please!

Next up: Lawler goes into a smooth retirement and Graves sits next to Maruro please?!?

I wonder why this is happening in July? Maybe because it is the dead zone for sports (nothing on but baseball) and you get a head start on the olympics,NFL Training Camp and the beginning of Fall TV.

Wonder if the draft will be an episode of RAW or a WWE Network special?

I'm not going to look at it as a brand split when your tag team, women's and men's world champions will all be appearing on both shows. It is merely unique rosters. I don't see how Smackdown is booked otherwise. It's just 2010 all over again. So much for a "new era"

Quote Originally Posted by CoachBrief View Post
    What do you think would be the biggest roadblock to a HHH booked Smackdown? I know that it leaves NXT in a bind to find a new head man, but new opportunities is what made NXT great in the first place.
    Stephanie, Vince, Kevin Dunn, Ed Koskey and all the other people who hate that Wrasslin style of wrestling.

Sure maybe HHH has loyalists. Sure maybe some of that old Dusty coaching tree is out there. Maybe HHH will have the power to perhaps bring someone in to advise him and hire his own writing talent for the direction he wants. But at the end of the day, Vince is still the boss and there can only be so much change when Vince still picks the soap writers and has the power to trump paul levesque.

I think Smackdown needs to be run less like a television show and more like Championship Wrestling from Florida (except instead of promoting to the live show, they are promoting to the network). NXT feels like that. Everything builds to the Takeover. NXT is easy, it is one hour a week and it could be booked by a number of wrestling talents. It is an old school show. I doubt it would suffer much from HHH only leading from up top. It is the philosophy which makes NXT so fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddieg2005 View Post
    I'm not going to look at it as a brand split when your tag team, women's and men's world champions will all be appearing on both shows. It is merely unique rosters. I don't see how Smackdown is booked otherwise. It's just 2010 all over again. So much for a "new era"
    Why? The NWA had the World and Jr. Champions which traveled between territories and each territory was it's own brand. if anything, having a shared world champion makes the world champion, women's champion and maybe tag champions more important. I am all for having the World Champion put the title up less.
    Last edited by Irishsara; 05-25-2016 at 11:52 AM.

No more spoilers, no more piped in crowd noise, more time for people, yes please!

Next up: Lawler goes into a smooth retirement and Graves sits next to Maruro please?!?

I wonder why this is happening in July? Maybe because it is the dead zone for sports (nothing on but baseball) and you get a head start on the olympics,NFL Training Camp and the beginning of Fall TV.

Wonder if the draft will be an episode of RAW or a WWE Network special?
    A Network Special would be fun. Do it on a Saturday night or even a "special ppv" like Elimination Chamber was last year. Have some picks with four or five matches thrown in. A sort of "last time ever" matches like Orton/Cena, Owens/Zayn, Rollins/Reigns, & even convince Brock to come back for a match with Ambrose.

One question though: Assuming they create a second World Championship, where does this leave the Women's & Tag Team Championships?

EDIT: Sarah, brand-specific ppvs solves your problem of actually building stories to a dramatic conclusion instead of rushing on 2 or 3 weeks build. Now you have 6-10 weeks.
    Last edited by CoachBrief; 05-25-2016 at 11:53 AM.

Goldberg Rules!
    It seems WWE has been testing this out on SmackDown for the past few weeks, with seemingly mid-card matches being the main event more often than not lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Irishsara View Post
    Why? The NWA had the World and Jr. Champions which traveled between territories and each territory was it's own brand. if anything, having a shared world champion makes the world champion, women's champion and maybe tag champions more important. I am all for having the World Champion put the title up less.
    Honestly are you going to say, or anyone going to for that matter, that they thought 2010 was an genuine brand split when you had people hopping from show to show? I for sure didn't. A brand split to me is 2002. Not 2010. Which is what this is going to be.

Honestly are you going to say, or anyone going to for that matter, that they thought 2010 was an genuine brand split when you had people hopping from show to show? I for sure didn't. A brand split to me is 2002. Not 2010. Which is what this is going to be.
    According to the WWE official announcement:
    As noted, WWE SmackDown will begin airing live on the USA Network from 8pm - 10pm each Tuesday night beginning July 19th. SmackDown and RAW will have their own rosters for the first time in years.

Variety reports that each show will have their own storylines and writing teams. A WWE announcement also mentioned each show will have a "distinct cast, unique storylines and a dedicated writing team."

There will be a WWE Draft held soon but we do not know exactly when that it will be. WWE's announcement said it will come before the live premiere on July 19th.
    This implies that there will be separate titles for both shows. "Their own storylines and writing teams" "Distince cast, unique storylines and a dedicated writing team."

Why would the WWE not have separate titles then? The point is to have plots for wrestler on your show, not the other, so you need titles designated for your own show.

They said exclusive rosters. How that uses the champ without alienating a whole show, I don't know.

I can see why they'd try this. It's not what I would've done and I'm highly skeptical it's a good idea in the long run, especially since they now have even less people to fill up a three hour weekly show they already had trouble filling up. But I also see the benefits of it if they get it right the way they did in the early days of the first one. In short, who knows?

Don't WHAT? Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Variety Magizine View Post
    A draft will be held before the “Smackdown” launch date to determine which wrestlers on the company’s talent roster will be assigned to which program. Each show is expected to feature separate cast, plots and writing teams.
    Different writing teams?!? That might be the best thing of this whole ordeal.

Edit: As for belts, I would have the WWEWHC,Tag and Women's float on both. They show up wherever the current story is. IC and US split solid.
    Last edited by phemom; 05-25-2016 at 12:12 PM.

Which McMahon is running RAW, and which is running Smackdown? That is also the question.

The Greatest of All Time LWO4Life's Avatar
    I would agree with Sara on how to handle this. I would love to see the champions between shows, except the IC and US. I guess now we know why they never unifed those titles, I have a feeling they knew they'd do this all along. So yeah, you split the roster, I guess it makes sense to have Shane run one show and Steph run the other (backstage I'd hope Shane can actually run Smackdown). Book Smackdown like an old territory show, just matches and a main event, it doesn't have to be hard. King does have to retire, and Cory Graves as his replacement would be AMAZING. It's funny they are doing a brand split after cutting so much talent, but I guess you can just call up NXT people who are ready. I'm also assuming you can split some people, like Owens and Zayn, and then have them resume their feud at later dates. After all, I think Owens and Zayn I think YEARS long feud, and having two brands keeps them apart, all the while having them have unresolved issues that will be address when they just so happen to clash. Like if Smackdown invades Raw, then the first person they attack is each other.

Now as for Cody and who's he talking to, it's obviously Ryan Ward. Dude use to be the head writer for NXT, I'm sure he picked up a reputation of trying to hit on girls down there, and maybe continued as they get called up or have main roster tryouts. That shot was made for everyone to figure out, and it has to be Ward. The shot to Singh actually isn't that bad. If I was as writer and someone called me a Gerwitz wannabe, I'd just say of course that's what I'm trying for. The tragity in all of this is that Eden is gone. But good for the both of them. It looks like Eden has life outside WWE figured out as she does have a fashion line. I think they'll have some kids soon, and she really seems like she loves her some Cody and that's what he needs in life. But she will be missed.

Though if there is a brand split, I guess Lilian Garcia stays on Raw and then.... Jo-Jo moves to Smackdown.

I guess I can adjust to change.

Has Vince McMahon Lost Confidence in Roman Reigns.

This should be a soft split. The draft sure, with a certain amount of exclusive talent but have it more be like Championship Wrestling from Florida/Georgia Championship Wrestling, where talent showed up sometimes, but the World Champion is the WWE World Champion and not the Raw World Champion. The Tag belts can be treated the same way. Having the best Smackdown tag team demanding a shot at the tag titles is good stuff. Being number one contender to the big title is a bigger deal. Winning the Rumble is a bigger deal. The Champ is the champ of both.

Id probably add a Women's tag title. That way the Women's world title is on one brand and the Women's tag is on the other. But that is just me, women are a sideshow anyway.

The brand split also makes it easier to incorporate NXT into storylines, backgrounds and promotions.

Don't WHAT? Me.
    Imagine the Mania timeframe

Friday - NXT Takeover
    Saturday - Hall of Fame
    Sunday - Wrestlemania
    Monday - Raw
    Tuesday - Smackdown
    Wednesday - NXT

....Aw man lmao, I'm gonna lose friends in March.

Quote Originally Posted by LWO4Life View Post
    Now as for Cody and who's he talking to, it's obviously Ryan Ward. Dude use to be the head writer for NXT, I'm sure he picked up a reputation of trying to hit on girls down there, and maybe continued as they get called up or have main roster tryouts. That shot was made for everyone to figure out, and it has to be Ward. The shot to Singh actually isn't that bad. If I was as writer and someone called me a Gerwitz wannabe, I'd just say of course that's what I'm trying for. The tragity in all of this is that Eden is gone. But good for the both of them. It looks like Eden has life outside WWE figured out as she does have a fashion line. I think they'll have some kids soon, and she really seems like she loves her some Cody and that's what he needs in life. But she will be missed.
    It isnt Singh who is the Gerwitz wannabe. it is Ed Koskey, at least according to stooges.