Page 136 of 150 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136137138146 ... LastLast
Results 5,401 to 5,440 of 5990

Thread: General WWE News Thread

Goldberg Rules!

Quote Originally Posted by T.O. View Post
    I figured it out before clicking the link.

Goldberg Rules!
    The latest edition of the Observer Newsletter says Vince has cancelled any plans for Cena/Taker at Mania.

Could this be why Taker showed up on RAW instead? Taker vs. Reigns for the Universal Championship?

Reality Champ
    I'd be willing to bet that he was on RAW because he had to be in New Orleans the next morning for the presser. Could it end up being Taker/Reigns? Maybe. But I don't think that's why he was there.

Goldberg Rules!
    Whatever the reason, at least the main event title picture looks murky for the first time in seemingly forever. Does anyone know for sure what the title matches will be? They've been fairly set in stone for years now (ignore the DB shortcut in 2014 if you wanna believe the stories of it being forced). I mean as of now, early January, not post-Rumble.

HHH/Reigns: Obvious once Reigns won the title on RAW
    Reigns/Lesnar: Obvious, Lesnar wasn't gonna drop until Mania (even the cash-in wasn't too big a shock)
    Orton/Batista: They were gonna go with it no matter what
    Rock/Cena: Come on.

I think the last time we didn't have a strong grasp of the Mania title match(es) at this point of the year was at WrestleMania 28.

Reality Champ
    It's a bit different just because there are two titles this year. I still think Taker is the challenger for the Smackdown title, whether it's Cena or AJ. If it's not Cena/Taker, that definitely puts a wrinkle in everything though.

It's a bit odd if Cena/Taker isn't the match cause that tells me Cena isn't beating AJ at the Rumble.. But Cena doesn't have many matches for mania and neither does Taker so unless you do Taker/AJ and maybe cross promote Cena/Reigns?

Goldberg Rules!
    I gotta admit, the luster of Cena/Taker is dead to me. I'd much rather see Styles/Taker. If they blow off Orton/Wyatt early (could see it happening at this rate), even Styles/Orton (I know that wouldn't be a title match, though).

Reality Champ
    I do wonder what they're doing with Orton/Wyatt. They clearly pushed up that feud for some reason.

From what Big Dave said Taker isn't going to be in any title match, so him-Styles could only happen if Styles wasn't champion. My guess is they either have someone secret planned to face Taker or they're going to use Corbin, despite the fact that he apparently got jobbed out last night on Smackdown. That would leave Cena-Styles to fight again at Mania.

I dont see how Orton vs Wyatt has been pushed up. Do Orton and Luke Harper at the Rumble then Orton and Mojo Rawley (Still Hype) at that PPV in between Mania and the Rumble then Orton vs Bray at mania.

Ideally you would do Orton vs Harper at the Rumble, Orton vs Wyatt at the smackdown PPV before Mania and Randy and a mystery partner vs Luke Harper and Bray Wyatt at Mania. (Psssst the mystery partner is Dave Batista).

Arent they doing HHH vs Rollins at Mania? Speaking of Tag Matches id pay money to see ... HHH and HBK vs Rollins and Reigns at Mania? That would draw me.

Also Owens and Jericho seems a lock.

Don't WHAT? Me.
    The quotes are from Big Meltz, I was gonna put these in the Spoilers thread....but it's January and things can and will be changed.

There have been some changes made in WrestleMania plans as noted in recent weeks, with the major thing being that the proposed Undertaker vs. John Cena match is off the boards. Vince McMahon changed his mind on the match, which was to be one of the two biggest matches in 2016, and at one point one of the top matches for the 4/2 show in Orlando.
    I think Vince is leaving money on the table here.....unless he believes or knows Taker is done at next Mania and wants it to be Takers last match. Fuck belts, Cena & Taker don't need em.

Roman Reigns will obviously be in one of the major matches on the show. This also leaves open spots for Cena, A.J. Styles, Finn Balor (who is expected to be back in action around March unless that date is a Rumble swerve, which it probably isn’t) and Dean Ambrose. Ambrose and Miz is just starting as a program and timing wise I could see them building to a blow-off. But there is a tradition of the multiple person ladder match over the IC title as well, although I could also see them doing the first major show women’s ladder match instead. If Jericho is to retain the U.S. title, that would seem earmarked for the Owens match, if that is the direction they continue.
    Ugh, this is where I think all of us here could come up with a better card than what Vince will book. We will prolly get another IC ladder match, because there's too many mid-carders to showcase. I really wish we could get something from the best SDL feud: Miz V Bryan...not Bryan wrestling but him bringing in a hired gun to kill Miz once and for all. While Miz is doing good work, I don't see him in the same league as Dean....and I think the crowd would be sleep during it. US Title makes the main card.....YAY!

Undertaker, and whoever was to challenge for the Universal title on Raw, would have been Rumble favorites if the idea was to go with tradition and have the Rumble winner challenge for one of the two the major titles at Mania.While connecting dots can come up with a pretty good idea of the show, the key things known is that Undertaker right now is not scheduled to challenge for either title on the show. He did appear on the 1/9 Raw show, after first arriving on Smackdown, because when he was on Smackdown, it was to build for him to face Cena. Now he will face someone on the Raw roster. There was a tease of Braun Strowman on Raw, but it will not be Strowman as things stand right now.
    Welp, here's the two question marks, who wins the Rumble and who faces Taker. If it isn't Stroman and they are on RAW I have no clue. Fantasy choices where you know Taker wins are KO,Russev and the super long shot Balor. Anything but Taker V Reigns please, unless you want Reigns to be the biggest heel in the company.

There will be six or seven major main event level singles matches on the show, not including cruiserweights or women. The women’s match is not finalized, but Charlotte vs. Sasha Banks vs. Bayley vs. Nia Jax is the current proposed main woman’s match.
    Nia doesn't deserve to be in this match at all. I'd have Nia keep doing Charlotte's dirty work thinking she'll get a title shot for it, then feud with each other because Charlotte lost the strap. On SD a women's ladder match with their 6 plus Mickie and Eva (for the heat, and the tease of the cheapest win in WM history) would be awesome.

Curious about the cruisers....will Vince take the easy route and have another CW Open like past manias or build an actual story? The easy route does sound fun tho.

Jack V Tozawa V Cedric V TJP V Neville V Swann V TBK V Tajiri V Metalik V Dar

would rock, and if it's clean and gets 10 minutes could steal the show.

The WrestleMania show isn’t finalized, but there is an idea on the table where Joe will debut with a major push and be in one of the top few matches on the show, which also makes it likely he’s starting very soon and would have to have a big Rumble if he’s in it.
    Joe V Cena or Styles......which one would you rather see, because both are a win.

Also: Will New Day and Cass & Enzo make the main card?
    Last edited by phemom; 01-12-2017 at 04:08 AM.

Joe vs. Cena i could see but i never thought it would be at mania.

I could also see Taker vs Balor if Vince wants to sell the spectacle

It's probably going to be a 5 hour main card lol so you gotta figure the tag teams will find their way onto the show, including New Day.
    Last edited by Lazyking; 01-12-2017 at 04:49 AM.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post
    That would leave Cena-Styles to fight again at Mania.
    I feel like that's sort of fair, and sort of the match that deserves to happen. These two have spent the better part of a year married to one another, have had some awesome matches and maybe they should be rewarded with a top slot together on Mania.
    Quote Originally Posted by phemom View Post
    We will prolly get another IC ladder match, because there's too many mid-carders to showcase.
    Given where everyone is and how up in the air everything is right now, this is the only thing that would really disappoint me (unless they don't book Owens-Jericho). Miz and Ambrose have done great work together this past month, and have busted ass all year. Miz completely revitalized himself. If anyone deserves a singles spotlight on Mania, it's Miz and Ambrose. Or, you know, book logically and do the mixed tag. There are enough other belts on the card that you can not defend the IC title to put it in a mixed tag, since the Champ will get more spotlight there anyway.

This is a long card, but I still don't believe that everyone should inherently get on the card. You're going to have some huge main event level matches, guys like Miz and Ambrose don't deserve to be lost in a multi-man ladder match just because they want to fit 80 people on the card.

And Sara, I love the idea of a surprise Batista return to tag with Orton vs the Wyatts. I'll bet that if he's putting them over, that would be something he'd be on board to do.

Here's what we know for sure; the show is going to be unbelievably long yet again, Goldberg-Lesnar, Seth-HHH and Shaq-Show are all locked in, Owens-Jericho and Sasha-Nia-Charlotte-Bayley (which I agree with phenom is a brutal idea) is all but locked in, Taker isn't working Cena nor a title match and he's now working a RAW guy. That leaves for a lot of guessing but there's clearly some pieces we can fill in. For example;

A) Roman vs. Strowman I think has to be the plan for the Universal Championship. They've been building up Strowman for a reason and if it's not for Taker or a US title match with Roman then it's for the main one. It's a hilariously stupid idea but Vince remains all in on Roman, figures him slaying Strowman will be the thing that finally gets him over and does at least have the safety net of having other big matches to hide this one further down the card (though the fact that he's hiding this one is telling in and of itself).

B) Finn vs. Taker. If it's a RAW guy Taker is facing then Balor to me seems to be the only available guy considering all the other top dudes are covered. I hate the idea of this match too. The buildup may be fine but Balor remains to me the most overhyped/overrated wrestler of the last 20 years; he's exactly what people indie Cody Rhodes to be, a guy who has "okay" matches but always leaves you feeling the match wasn't as good as it should've been. Taker could definitely get a good match out of him, but I'm skeptical of that and wouldn't be stunned if this match was just okay.

C) AJ Styles and Cena will wrestle again at Wrestlemania. I hear the stuff about Samoa Joe getting a big push but until I hear/see it I don't buy that (I see him fitting in more into the IC title picture if anything, with an outside shot of facing Roman if he goes to RAW). On top of that him vs. Styles or him vs. Cena takes away the best opponent for either guy with Taker off the table, and I'm pretty sure both WWE and the fans don't want to see Cena-Corbin or AJ-Corbin. So the logical conclusion to me is they just do Cena-Styles again; maybe Styles retains at the Rumble and they build towards Cena tying Flair's record at Mania, or Cena wins at the Rumble, Styles wins it back at EC and they give Cena #17 at Mania. With the options limited for either guy right now without the other, it just seems the most logical.

Put all of that together and that gives you the following card; Goldberg-Brock, Seth-HHH, Shaq-Show, Reigns-Strowman, Taker-Balor, Cena-Styles-IV or V, Owens-Jericho, Charlotte-Sasha-Bayley-Nia, the Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal (don't forget this one folks), something involving Orton-Bray, at least one other multi-person match for a title (likely the IC), at least one tag team title match (and likely two) and Smackdown women's and cruiserweight title matches. Not counting the pre-show (which some of these have to get bumped to), that's about fifteen matches. Yikes. I think it's slightly better than last year's card, but it's not a strong enough card to hold people's attentions the way a Wrestlemania should and in all likelihood I think the event ends up being remembered more for being too long again. Long events work fine when you have Kushida-Kamaitachi, Shibata-Goto, Tanahashi-Naito and Omega-Okada waiting at the end. That's an unfair comparison to make but that doesn't appear to be the case here, and indicates to me that WWE would probably be wise in making Mania shorter than the new trend of going long.

Don't WHAT? Me.
    I think we are going 6 hours again. Everybody gotta get that Mania check lol......I'm sure it would be easier to book if that wasn't a thing.

I think we get the tag matches on the pre-show along with the ARMBAR.

Do the UK guys get flown in for a tag match?

Super Moderator
    The reason last year's Mania felt so long was because Roman vs Triple H was the wrong match to close the show with.

In hindsight, with a card pushing five hours (I never count the pre-show time because I think you have to be half crazy to bother watching that...I don't watch the three plus hours of UFC pre-show fights either) Roman vs Triple H didn't have what it took the keep the crowd engaged. Especially following The Rock Arguably, interesting enough, Shane vs Taker with that dive would have been the better show closer.

This year, I don't see that being a problem. Put Goldberg vs Lesnar on last and even if it's a little slower (which isn't a problem in a main event match, not every match has to be athletic and fast paced) the anticipation will carry a crowd through.

You forget Coach that both Summerslam and Survivor Series ran long too, and if not for the unexpected Goldberg-Lesnar finish at the latter both of those would've been considered far too long too. Roman-H was definitely the wrong match to close with last year but there were many people I knew complaining the show was too long before that match, even during the "exciting" stuff with Rock, Taker and Shane. It's just a little too much, pre-show or no pre-show. That's not to say it can't work, but the card needs to hit on almost everything to do so. I don't see that as of now, the way things are shaping up.

Super Moderator
    Oh I don't disagree in the least that five hours is too long for a pro wrestling show, any pro wrestling show. I have a little trouble getting through four hour shows in one sitting.

Two hours is the perfect time for a pro wrestling show, three for a pay per view, but what are you gonna do? They feel like they have to offer more! more! more! on these big shows. I don't completely disagree with the theory; what do the three hour "PPV" events mean when they're bi-weekly and you put forth three hours of free TV every Monday and two again on Tuesday?

But damn, even for WrestleMania (the WrestleMania of US wrestling shows) I don't feel like watching something that's runtime is the entirety of Shawshank immediately followed up with BVS (goddamn that'd be a depressing evening). Wrestle Kingdom was awesome but it was three sittings.

Give me four hours. Four hours is a stretch, but if I've got some friends around and a few beers I'll still have fun.

This brings me back to my long held belief, though: not everyone deserves to be on the card just because they're employed. If you must, than rather than a bunch of multi-man undercard matches that mean nothing, make the Andre Battle Royal a 40 man match and fit the extras in there (and toss in a quick eight man tag) and give the guys who spent the last year earning it spotlight in their own matches.

I'll be in Orlando for NXT on Saturday and the Rumble on Sunday. I'm super pumped (more for NXT) but I'm also going with a non-wrestling fan and I wouldn't want to force him to watch 6-7 hours straight of wrestling so we may linger outside at local bars until 7 at least.

I know that they have everyone there so the feeling must be that everyone should be used, but this is supposed to be your biggest but also best show of the year. Having the Shining stars on the main card is just stupid. if you use everyone, put people on the preshow.. i prefer preshow matches actually to three hours of kayfabe breakdown especially when we shouldn't need to be sold on big time Mania matches

That's why I love the NXT PPVs/specials. Only the people who deserve to be on the special are there (aside from TV tapings they likely do before it).

I intend to watch the final (scheduled) two hours of the Rumble. Probably do the same with Wrestlemania.

I would be more apt to tune in earlier if I knew the order of the card, much like you get in MMA or Boxing.

Well with the rumble this year, its pretty obvious the Rumble match itself will go about an hour and last I'm thinking Cena/Styles will be just before it, unless they feel they need to put a five min buffer seg in between.

I think if they put the Cruisers on the show, they should do a Scramble match. Those Scramble matches were fun, and would work great with the Cruisers.

Super Moderator
    I liked the concept of the scramble match. It probably does work better for Cruisers, though.

I'm actually curious about why they've never brought it back. The PPV probably didn't draw, but in terms of concepts that I'd never seen in WWE before the Scramble was one of the better ones. Maybe they think that "temporary" champions are a confusing concept? Why not just change the wording slightly then?

It might not be a main event gimmick, but for the IC/US/Cruiser title it's not a bad one for an undercard match or a secondary PPV.

Reality Champ
    I loved the match in theory, but the concept, psychologically, just didn't work. That being said, it would be fun for the cruisers.

Super Moderator
    I think that it just needs to be streamlined a little:

Everyone starts at once instead of staggered entrances.
    Rather than a nameplate coming up that says "Current Champion" on it when a guy wins, just keep a permanent bug on the screen the whole time that says who's currently winning.
    Make it a 10 minute total time limit (increase that time limit if you decide to do a main event one).

That should make the match a little easier to follow and the psychology a little better.

...Hmm, I might just steal this match.

Reality Champ
    The big thing is the wrestlers need to think more about what they're doing. If you are the temp champ, your whole purpose in the match should be running around and breaking up pins, tossing guys to the outside, whatever you have to do to make sure there isn't another pin in the match. You shouldn't be fighting anyone, you should be ducking in and out of the ring to make sure that you're in a good spot to run in and break up any fall attempt.

What I remember about the Scramble Matches was that everyone hated the idea when it was first announced, then everyone loved them after the matches happened and WWE never brought the back again because of course not. Personally I'd like to see them happen again somewhere. I recall people being on the edge of their seats for the ends of those matches, particularly the one where Jeff Hardy looked like he was going to win his first World Title. If you do it right those matches are money.

Don't WHAT? Me.
    Is anyone watching the UK tourney? I hope you are because it's awesome.

Goldberg Rules!
    Football's on, yo.

Reality Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by T.O. View Post
    Football's on, yo.
    Seven matches were on before football. No excuse.

Michael Cole was fantastic in this. Shows what he can do when he doesn't have Vince in his ear. Plus, Tyler Bate is everything.

Goldberg Rules!
    I work Saturdays, yo.

In other words, T.O. didn't give a shit, yo.

Goldberg Rules!
    Who made you my press secretary?

To be fair, no one gives a shit about the UK Tourney.

Goldberg Rules!
    Loads of people on my Twitter feed seem to say otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by phemom View Post
    Is anyone watching the UK tourney? I hope you are because it's awesome.
    Just started it.

Apparently I just found Jesus.

Goldberg Rules!
    Footballl's still on, yo.