Page 152 of 154 FirstFirst ... 52102142150151152153154 LastLast
Results 6,041 to 6,080 of 6128

Thread: WWE General Discussion Thread

Sports Illustrated reported that Talking Smack was cancelled because Vince doesn't like the unscripted promos.

God, can someone up there disconnect the old man's wifi? I'm not one of those people that thinks the WWE will be leaps and bounds better when HHH is in charge, but I'm not sure it would be worse if Vince was kept in the dark about any and all programming outside of RAW and SmackDown. Like, if his underlings could convince him the rest of the Network is just airing replays of Hulkamania Era PPVs and the ratings are great, maybe things like this wouldn't happen.
    You wanted the best, you got this instead -

http://kwangtheblog.blogspot.com

My one-stop blog spot for full reviews of wrestling pay-per-views, TV supercards, and Network Specials.

now that i've thought about it, doesn't really make alot of sense for that to be reason. Yes, Vince is out of touch but you mean to tell me he's never seen talking smack before recently? I think he's been at smackdown and i would also assume that anyone at smackdown has to run things by Vince.

Not saying it didn't happen but it wouldn't surprise me if Triple H or Steph are throwing him under the bus.

I can totally see that being the reason.

Yea, I don't know - I guess Meltzer doesn't buy the Sports Illustrated story.

My theory (and I have zero proof of it) is that Vince doesn't like Talking Smack because, to put it bluntly, he doesn't "get it." I think if it was RAW Talk that had become weekly (is it? I'm not sure) and had taken of and gotten some buzz, he would be all about it - but because SD has always been the "lesser show," the one that, in 2002-03 "needed Vince himself" to be good (even though all of Vince's angles were dreadful and people were tuning in for the SmackDown 6 and Lesnar) and more recently "needed Cena" (even though one could argue his impact on the TV show is somewhat negligible, while his impact on house show gates are strong), he sees anything the Blue Brand does as being, by definition, lesser. Hence, Talking Smack's ratings go down and its not 205 Live's fault, its that nobody cares and that it is expendable programming.

Except a portion of the audience does care and, worse than that, a portion of his employees care. I doubt having Talking Smack get pushed an hour later made the wrestlers happy (especially if they have to get to the next town after a show), but the solution wasn't to cancel a program that obviously some talent really felt like was "their own" (its integral to any business that the employees feel their input is valued and that they have a "stake" in what they're doing)*, but to adjust 205 Live's taping schedule (like, say, maybe not making it "live" at all). I'd be curious to see what the numbers are comparing NXT (taped weeks in advance) viewership and 205 Live's viewership.

* For example, I've worked fast food, I know lots of people who've worked fast food, I know fast food is all about automation and having the same meal at every Taco Bell whether you're in Buttfuck, Kansas, or Buttfuck, Maine. But talk to a minimum wage fast food worker and they'll tell you that one of the few "perks" is the ability to create your own menu item - even if the general public will never eat it, maybe you might serve it to a friend or whatever. The crazy shit we came up with at Subway could convince you that you weren't eating garbage some days.
    You wanted the best, you got this instead -

http://kwangtheblog.blogspot.com

My one-stop blog spot for full reviews of wrestling pay-per-views, TV supercards, and Network Specials.

Don't WHAT? Me.
    WOR: Tuesday's Talking Smack episode ranked 18th most viewed of the week, moving the time slot to after 205 Live did not affect the viewership much at all, over 90% of all network viewing is VOD not live viewing
    90%? damn....I like watching things live, guess I'm in the minority.

As much as I enjoyed the show, if TS was 18th it means it was losing to a bunch of stuff WWE already paid for....which means TS isn't worth the (little IMO) money used to make it and go live.

SMH. Things like this make me think that smarks don't put their money where their mouths are sometimes. Like I rarely saw any distain for Talking Smack, but they were watching it either. Just like when an IWC favorite gets a push and the ratings go down...

Hopefully the mid-card (and lower) find other means....because SDL doesn't have room for things that might work so that's gonna make it a lot harder for them.

i think shows the air after Raw or Smackdown probably really struggle for live views cause even Network subscribers have a limit in WWE programming.. i just watched 2 hours of Smackdown, i don't have the network on, so why should i put it on when i can catch things later?

NXT is taped and while it airs on Wednesday, i can binge watch if i wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by phemom View Post
    SMH. Things like this make me think that smarks don't put their money where their mouths are sometimes. Like I rarely saw any distain for Talking Smack, but they were watching it either. Just like when an IWC favorite gets a push and the ratings go down...
    Blaming the fans here is missing the point. For one, the only people watching the show WERE the hardcore fans; it's pretty established (and the majority of the Network's content supports this) that the Network is a thing that's geared towards hardcores, who make up the vast majority of the subscribers. The fact that WWE isn't drawing more casual fans to the Network is a bigger problem than hardcore fans not watching. Two, and most importantly, the hardcores that weren't watching Talking Smack on the Network likely were watching it on YouTube, DailyMotion or streamables found on Reddit. WWE has several clips up from the show on their own YouTube page (with each clip having several hundred thousand views) and you can find full episodes of Talking Smack on YouTube and DailyMotion fairly easily. So to say fans weren't watching or paying attention to the show isn't exactly true; the more likely case is they were watching episodes or clips, just not on the WWE's own Network.

Regardless of whether it was that reason or because Vince didn't like it (and like Lazyking I don't buy that; that story reeks of being leaked by a HHH crony to continue the "All Hail Haitch' narrative that guy has brilliantly worked the internet with), the move is still boneheaded. I don't care how many people are watching the show or not; the fact is that it cost next to nothing to produce that show compared to 205 Live (which is doing worse than Talking Smack AND costs way more, yet continues to live on) makes it worthwhile to continue because a) it allows the guys and girls another outlet to work on their character and get themselves over and b) maybe you get lucky one day, have a hot segment ala Bryan and Miz from last year and you suddenly have a hot show that helps your program that's cheap to produce. Unless it was legitimately drawing no interest whatsoever, it makes no sense to get rid of the thing. This is WWE being dumb through and through; not the "smarks" failing a show by not putting their money where their mouths are.

Super Moderator
    How would 205 be expensive? You already have the arena rented for SmackDown, the infrastructure is all set up and staff is already on hand. It's pretty much why they married the Takeover shows with PPV weekends. The taping should be basically free, or cost nominally more than the Live SmackDown taping that you're already doing anyway. I produce this type of shit, and I'm just not seeing where the expense come from. Post produced, yeah it'll start to get pricey, but as it stands I'd think that it's okay.

I'll be honest in saying that I only watched Talking Smack rarely. I'm pretty pro killing it just simply because of the concept: it's timely (so not friendly to watch on delay unless you're going to catch it ASAP), adds an extra 30 minutes to an already long night of content for a viewer.

I'd actually prefer a similar program produced for YouTube. Then you don't have the paywall effect (and, let's be honest, you're putting the relevant stuff on YouTube anyway) and it doesn't have to be "must-see" live content. Give talent the same platform, but not in a recap format. The recap format allowed a jumping off point, but I never liked that it was completely irrelevant to me if I hadn't seen that week's episode of SmackDown -- which isn't available to watch alongside TS on the Network.

I'd say revive it in more of a straight-up semi-scripted interview format. Shoot it with the rest of the pre-tapes at the beginning of the night or like Graves did with the Hardys in the stands. You lose the live TV aspect, which is too bad, but it gives you the opportunity to edit things a bit if they go south.

I'll be the first to say that the trial by fire of live Talking Smack is probably what molded Alexa Bliss into the performer that she is today, but the answer to that is to give people less scripting on television and let them sink or swim.

I think Renee Young being added back to RAW and working both shows was a move to keep her happy after Talking Smack was canceled. WWE is saying Talking Smack being canceled frees her up to do RAW which makes no sense. A 30 minute show on after Tuesday's Smackdown prevented her from work Monday's RAW?

Don't WHAT? Me.
    Weird part is the smacking talk thing they did got so many retweets and likes that WWE took notice. Perhaps the next lane WWE goes in is TOU.....uh Instagram Live & Periscope. Which make me think of one of the lines I put at the end of a SmackDown thread about supporting what you like, WWE is about NUMBERS and MONEY...and if you aren't giving them either then you don't matter. Support what you love, or Jinder will get 3 more title runs.

In other news, something Trips brought up many moons ago might be coming to light (from the WON):

There has been talk of doing another Superstar Shakeup after next month's WWE SummerSlam pay-per-view, according to new reports by PWInsider and the Wrestling Observer Newsletter. WWE previously held a roster Shakeup in April after WrestleMania 33.

While it might seem early for another Shakeup, The Observer notes that there is definitely talk of making a few roster moves in the fall. There has also been talk of sending one or more Superstars from the main roster to WWE NXT. The moves from the main roster to NXT would be for talents that were major stars in NXT that Vince McMahon simply is not going to push on RAW or SmackDown, even if they are over, or talents who are doing nothing on the main roster with the feeling that they could be more useful as top stars in NXT.
    It's easy to start guessing who goes where, but I'm not on that yet. My questions are three fold:

How do you sell to casuals that going to NXT isn't a demotion?

Do you add an hour to NXT to accommodate the moves? (which would give NXT something it doesn't have, a midcard)

Do you think it would be a good idea to make NXT a full traveling show? (like packing 205 with them and taping both on the road)

I really think it could work for everyone if WWE could have some fluidity within its brands, but I don't know if they would sell it correctly.

(P.S. Roode V Ziggler plz)

They should incorporate sports terms instead of these stupid terms like Shakeup. It seems so logical yet has never happened. Make it known GMs can trade at any time, send guys down and call guys up at any time. Instead of a draft, have a rookie (NXT) draft or something.

and its easy to do stories where you made it to the big time but failed or wasn't be utilized so you go to NXT. it worked for Tyson Kidd. You're not going to put anyone that's really getting a push down to NXT... anyone that goes there should look at it like a reinvention of character

Record number of Network cancellations: http://whatculture.com/wwe/6-reasons...rs-this-summer

Usually they have some sort of gimmick which they use to retain subscribers and always report it at an opportune time so there's growth from quarter to quarter, but not this time.

Meltzer is also saying that they're way short of their projected numbers, projected profit for this year. They aren't by any means in financial trouble, just suffering from a disappointment, bad post-Mania growth, and looking to do severe cuts everywhere. Last year they had profits of 30 million, and they promised investors they would do more this year, but they're already more than half-way through the year with their biggest period (Mania) out of the way, and they're only at 5-6 million profit. So basically they're way short of their projected profit.

I guess their lackluster program is finally catching up to them. Also, they did nearly record-low ratings at certain points this year.

There has been too many PPVs. We don't need one every two weeks.

One month, one PPV show. But you sprinkle in the specials, like the UK tournament, NXT Takeovers and the Brock Lesnar wrestling somewhere interesting shows.

And listen to your audience every once and awhile. They cancel Talking Smack, which should have never moved to begin with, yet we still get Bring it to the Table. I think people would rather watch children reacting to animal torture videos than watch Rosenberg and JBL being assholes.

Super Moderator
    I actually really like Bring it to the Table. It's probably the only thing on the Network, PPVs included, that I go out of my way to watch. I'd like to see more stuff like that...more stuff like you'd see on ESPN. PLEASE give me an unscripted Paul Heyman interview show.

I genuinely don't know what the answer is to increasing subscriptions. It seems like they're tweaking and experimenting a bit year-on-year, but the evidence would suggest that last year's tactic of putting one can't-miss, well hyped thing on there spaced out by just over a month might be best to make it so people can't cancel.

I'm with you on the PPV thing. When there's one every two weeks, none of them are must see. If I miss Battleground (which I did), SummerSlam is coming up right away.

The overall product has been pretty solid these past few months, in my opinion. Nothing groundbreaking, but enjoyable. Every product will have down points and things you don't care for, but as a whole I've thought it's been good. So it surprises me to see people leaving the Network.

But, by the same token, where's the special Steve Austin Podcasts? Where are the Network special events (that MSG show!)? Where are those little things, every six weeks or so, that are reasons to not cancel your subscription?

It feels like they're relying on bi-weekly Pay Per Views to try and bolster the Network, but it's obviously not working. Time to go back to the drawing board and reevaluate the approach. If bi-weekly PPV shows are here to stay, then you need something can't-miss on those off weeks, because they just aren't generating the interest that they need to.

If the 19 PPV events are here to stay, another thing that would be wise would be to start limiting the PPVs in regards to time. Have some be 2 hours, or 2.5 hours. The 3+ hour shows where nothing substantial happens is a lot to digest, then Summerslam will be 4+ hours. Trim some of the fat because it is pretty difficult to get someone who is not a fan or is a lapsed fan to sit down for that long and come away satisfied.

Don't WHAT? Me.
    I wish I liked Bring it to the Table. I'm a fan of Peter via his hip-hop stuff and I love Corey. When I watch it feels too forced, Peter is just being a shill, Graves is being the gimmick and JBL sounds like he's Vince, I don't need that.

If you took the same format and put people speaking with a little honesty it'd be good.

http://www.givemesport.com/1122586-w...talized-in-icu

He's in ICU, but his representative has stated it's for a routine monitoring. Hope this isn't going to be 2015 all over again.

Flair's manager and the director of his 30 for 30 doc are asking for prayers.

Hoping everything works out.

Just saw that Cricket Wireless video of John Cena reading fan letters. He's never going heel.

Asuka relinquishes her NXT women's title, ending an incredible reign.

Super Moderator
    Too bad on the injury. I sort of wonder if that was the original plan, and now she'll just be on the shelf for a bit rather than moving directly to one of the main roster shows.

Could be that she doesn't even really have an injury and they just gave her one so people wouldn't expect her debut. The next Takeover she would have been able to work because its like 3 months away

Protector of the Oomph
    Not sure how Roman Reigns is better than Jinder Mahal.

Jinder reads his lines a tad better.

Quote Originally Posted by shane View Post
    Not sure how Roman Reigns is better than Jinder Mahal.
    That's the thing. He isn't.

In ring work is overrated when you have the verbal charisma of chloroform.

The Greatest of All Time LWO4Life's Avatar
    Jinder vs. Roman in a charisma on a pole match... BOOK IT

Has Vince McMahon Lost Confidence in Roman Reigns.

Quote Originally Posted by LWO4Life View Post
    Jinder vs. Roman in a charisma on a pole match... BOOK IT
    Add ADR to make it a triple threat and you have the ultimate match.

Is there room for Tamina?

The Brain
    I can think of more Roman matches that I like than Jinder matches, but I don't really care to watch either these days.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    I can think of more Roman matches that I like than Jinder matches, but I don't really care to watch either these days.
    To be fair, the Roman/Strowman matches were good.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I have been informed that Booby Heenan has passed away.

That's shit. RIP Bobby. A true legend in the business.

One of the voices of my childhood. Truly a sad day.

I was saying Boo-Urns. lunchbox1981's Avatar
    Unfortunately I've seen a lot of my favorite wrestlers and wrestling personalities pass on over the years. This one however for me has been the saddest since the Macho Man. RIP The Brain.

The Brain
    God, that one hits me hard. I'm still processing it. The best pure performer in wrestling history, there was never another one like him and probably never will be.

I think it is pretty interesting that the WWE has not tried to sure/prevent Ford and Burger King for their recent commercials promoting their products. Both companies have been using the catchphrase "we don't set the bar, we are the bar" on their TV spots.

Vince is so adamant on copyrighting names, likenesses, and phrases, that I am surprised that there has not been anything said by the WWE.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    God, that one hits me hard. I'm still processing it. The best pure performer in wrestling history, there was never another one like him and probably never will be.

The greatest all-around talent possibly. I've read and heard stories of how he was a great in-ring wrestler too. "Pretty Boy" Bobby Heenan.

Just another reason why the Rock is awesome:

22045995_10155191427717424_1303487391073752833_n.jpg