Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official LOP English Premier League Prediction Contest 2017/18

Hybrid View

Squared

The Official LOP English Premier League Prediction Contest 2017/18

Right then. We're only a month away from another season of Premier League football getting underway once again. I'm posting this a bit earlier this year as I know that people go away in the summer and I think a few regulars missed the start of the season last year, so this is getting a bit more advertising this time around.

I'm not exactly sure on how the league format will work, based on how we had to wing it a bit with the numbers last year, but I'm open to suggestions and will confirm that sooner rather than later. There'll also be some bonuses going up soon, too. I'll post the full rules and all the usual paraphernalia when the format is sorted out... but until then, all I need to know is who is going to be joining us this year and trying to take Freeman's title?

Reply and let me know that you're in.

EDIT: FULL RULES FOR THE CONTEST

1) There are three ways to score. A correct result (1pt), a correct scoreline (3pts), and bonus questions (5pts). The winner is the person with the most points at the end of the tournament. In the event of a tie, then bonus points do not count and the winner is the player with the highest number of points from match predictions alone. This score is indicated in the 'w/o' column of the table. If players still cannot be split, then the person with the highest score for that week comes first. The only exception to this rule is when this will determine a final top four or relegation place in the first division, or a promotion place in the second division, at the end of the season. In this case, an appropriate play-off will be determined between the involved players only.

2) All match times listed here will be in UK local time. Key abbreviations are BST = British Summer Time, then GMT = Greenwich Mean Time. BST is one hour ahead of GMT. For guidance, the time in the US ranges between four (Eastern Daylight Time) and ten (Hawaiian) hours behind Greenwich Mean Time. The time in Australia ranges between eight (Western Australia) and eleven (Australian Eastern Daylight Time) ahead of Greenwich Mean Time. You can find more accurate information based on your exact location easily on the net.

3) If an edit stamp suggests a post has been changed after one of the matches has kicked-off, then the whole post - even matches you haven't changed - will be ruled out. You can change your predictions up until two minutes prior to kick-off. If you want to change predictions for later matches in the weekend, do it in a new post.

4) Any bonus questions that ask for a player or team must be answered with specifically - 'no one' or ‘none’ is not a valid answer. However, for number questions, you can answer '0'.

5) Any ambiguous answers are automatically thrown out.

6) All predictions, even in the knock-out rounds in the cup, are for the end of regular time. You get nothing for the score at the end of 120 minutes, or predicting who'll win a shootout. However, this is the sort of thing that might comprise a bonus question.

7) It is your duty to ensure you post in a valid fashion. If it is noted that you’ve posted and these are lost through some fault of the organiser, then, at their discretion, you can be compensated by an average score of all other players. However, this only applies to mistakes on our behalf and will not be used for ANY problems caused either by the player, or by technology.

8) In the cup competition, ties that cannot be split after the bonus round will be decided in favour of the player who posts first. This does not apply in the league.

9) With the exception of the Christmas round, all Premier League matches played on a Saturday, Sunday or Monday will be contested by Division 1. Division 2 play all matches from 3pm on Saturday. We play no matches on other weekdays, regardless of significance to the Premier League calendar – though bonus questions can be paid out for results stemming from these fixtures.

10) To ensure a level playing field over the holidays, and for the ease of organisers, the Christmas round must be played by the first deadline. ‘Staggering’ predictions, as has been seen in the past, is no longer allowed. Latecomers, however, will still be allowed to play in the usual way and with the usual penalties.

11) If you miss a deadline, you can still play any fixtures in the round that are yet to kick-off. However, you obviously can’t play any matches that are in progress, and you can’t play bonus rounds – even if they apply to matches later in the weekend.

12) While every effort is given to assure that scores are calculated correctly, mistakes do happen. It is the responsibility of the individual to check their own scores and raise any issues with the organiser. The statute of limitations on corrections is 14 days after the deadline for the round in question.

13) Finally, in the event of a judgement call because something hasn't been anticipated here, all official decisions are final.
    Last edited by Prime Time; 09-18-2017 at 10:11 AM.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

Hector Beller-IN

Mes- SI!

I'm in, as usual

I'm not going to Bale on this one. I'm in a Rush to say as long as it Colemanates in success I'm CollINs .

Sorry just trying to Earnshaw some stripes by joining in the Giggsles .

Where's Cliff gone?!?
    I too am quite Keane to enter this years competition Given that I finished quite high up the table back in the day and was aWarded 3rd position.

I figure with a little Whelan and dealin, I can achieve a Darren good as it would be an O'Sheame not give it my all.

(I'm in)

I'm feeling massively out-Dunn now...

I'm in like a 30 yard Paul Scholes piledriver.

Phil Jones.

Squared
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    I'm not exactly sure on how the league format will work, based on how we had to wing it a bit with the numbers last year, but I'm open to suggestions
    Good to see people already getting in on this. If the regulars could help me to promote it a bit and make sure everyone sees the thread before the start of the season, that'd be great, because I think one of the reasons we sometimes lose people is that when you miss the start it's easier to drop out completely.

I'd also draw people's attention to the bit quoted - at the moment my instinct is to do it like we did last year, with maybe a division split around Easter. But I'm keen to get people's opinions. We could do it like that. We could do two divisions like the few seasons before that. We could have a split around Easter and move to a playoff system like in the US. And there's also the option to go back to one big division, although the dropout rate was higher back with that format so... yeah. Not saying no to it, but I think there's better options.

Anyway, I'd value people's thoughts.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

I enjoyed it last year. I guess it's a case of seeing if we can sustain enough to split into two divisions. If we get lots of participants we could do relegation and promotion each week but it's all up to you, Pete and what's easiest for you.

I am in. Figure I got a shot at winning the whole thing. Didn't do too shabby considering I was only there for half a season last time.

Cant wait to get knocked out first round of the cup agaIN

With no laptop or Pc this year I'm not sure how often I'll remember to post but I'm in.

Andrei ArshavIN

I'm Dion DublIN

Squared
    So we've got a decent number of players in, but unless we get a sudden rush in response to the bonuses I don't think we're going to have enough to do separate divisions. What I'm thinking is that we'll do a league split sometime around Easter, the exact format of which will be decided nearer the time based on how the tables look.

In the meantime, here are the ritual preseason bonus questions to whet your whistle. All answers due in by 7.43pm on Friday 11th August.

1. Which player will score the first goal of the Premier League season?
    2. Where in the table will Arsenal finish this season?
    3. Who will be bottom of the table on Christmas Day?
    4. Who will be the first manager to leave their club this season?
    5. Who will be the top scorer in the Premier League this season?
    6. Who will be the last remaining undefeated side in the Premier League this season?
    7. Which of the three promoted sides will finish the highest?
    8. Romelu Lukaku’s first EPL goal for Manchester United will come against which opposition?
    9. Newcastle’s first win back in the top flight will come against which opposition?
    10. Who will win the Premier League?

I'll give everyone a freebie on the first one. Unless you think the first game (which kicks off on a Friday night this year, presumably for the new TV deal) will be a 0-0 draw, then pick an Arsenal or Leicester player for your answer to number 1.

Don't forget to spread the word to anyone who might wanna play that hasn't posted here so far.
    Last edited by Prime Time; 07-25-2017 at 11:24 AM.

1. Which player will score the first goal of the Premier League season? Ramsay
    2. Where in the table will Arsenal finish this season? 6th
    3. Who will be bottom of the table on Christmas Day? Swansea
    4. Who will be the first manager to leave their club this season? Benitez
    5. Who will be the top scorer in the Premier League this season? Lukaku
    6. Who will be the last remaining undefeated side in the Premier League this season? Liverpool
    7. Which of the three promoted sides will finish the highest? Brighton
    8. Romelu Lukakuís first EPL goal for Manchester United will come against which opposition? Swansea
    9. Newcastleís first win back in the top flight will come against which opposition? Swansea
    10. Who will win the Premier League? Chelsea

1. Which player will score the first goal of the Premier League season? Lacazette
    2. Where in the table will Arsenal finish this season? 4th
    3. Who will be bottom of the table on Christmas Day? Huddersfield
    4. Who will be the first manager to leave their club this season? Bilic
    5. Who will be the top scorer in the Premier League this season? Kane
    6. Who will be the last remaining undefeated side in the Premier League this season? Chelsea
    7. Which of the three promoted sides will finish the highest? Newcastle
    8. Romelu Lukaku’s first EPL goal for Manchester United will come against which opposition? West Ham
    9. Newcastle’s first win back in the top flight will come against which opposition? Huddersfield
    10. Who will win the Premier League? Man City

Question on bonus question 4. Say if a manager was to leave before the deadline (a la Pulis a few years back) I assume that answer wouldn't count? It would be the first manager to leave their post after the first fixture?

1. Which player will score the first goal of the Premier League season? Ramsey
    2. Where in the table will Arsenal finish this season? 5th
    3. Who will be bottom of the table on Christmas Day? Burnley
    4. Who will be the first manager to leave their club this season? Benitez
    5. Who will be the top scorer in the Premier League this season? Aguero
    6. Who will be the last remaining undefeated side in the Premier League this season? Chelsea
    8. Romelu Lukaku’s first EPL goal for Manchester United will come against which opposition? Swansea
    9. Newcastle’s first win back in the top flight will come against which opposition? Stoke

1. Which player will score the first goal of the Premier League season? Lacazette
    2. Where in the table will Arsenal finish this season? 6th
    3. Who will be bottom of the table on Christmas Day? Watford
    4. Who will be the first manager to leave their club this season? Bilic
    5. Who will be the top scorer in the Premier League this season? Lukaku
    6. Who will be the last remaining undefeated side in the Premier League this season? Man United
    8. Romelu Lukaku’s first EPL goal for Manchester United will come against which opposition? West Ham
    9. Newcastle’s first win back in the top flight will come against which opposition? West Ham
    10. Who will win the Premier League? Man United

2. Where in the table will Arsenal finish this season? 3rd
    3. Who will be bottom of the table on Christmas Day? Swansea
    4. Who will be the first manager to leave their club this season? Mauricio Pellegrino
    6. Who will be the last remaining undefeated side in the Premier League this season? Man United
    9. Newcastle’s first win back in the top flight will come against which opposition? Tottenham
    Last edited by Gooner; 07-28-2017 at 04:21 AM.

Shinobi agreed to do it. If anyone who has him on social media could harass him, that would be splendid.

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
    Shinobi agreed to do it. If anyone who has him on social media could harass him, that would be splendid.
    Done

4. Who will be the first manager to leave their club this season? Craig Shakespeare
    5. Who will be the top scorer in the Premier League this season? Harry Kane
    6. Who will be the last remaining undefeated side in the Premier League this season? Man City
    9. Newcastle’s first win back in the top flight will come against which opposition? Huddersfield

Squared
    4. Who will be the first manager to leave their club this season? Craig Shakespeare
    5. Who will be the top scorer in the Premier League this season? Romelu Lukaku
    9. Newcastle’s first win back in the top flight will come against which opposition? West Ham
    10. Who will win the Premier League? Man United

Where's Cliff gone?!?
    1. Which player will score the first goal of the Premier League season? Ozil
    2. Where in the table will Arsenal finish this season? 1st
    4. Who will be the first manager to leave their club this season? Wagner
    9. Newcastle’s first win back in the top flight will come against which opposition? Swansea
    10. Who will win the Premier League? Arsenal
    Last edited by Shee; 07-31-2017 at 02:43 PM.

I'm in

1. Which player will score the first goal of the Premier League season? Alexis Sanchez
    3. Who will be bottom of the table on Christmas Day? Brighton
    4. Who will be the first manager to leave their club this season? Rafa Benitez
    6. Who will be the last remaining undefeated side in the Premier League this season? Man Utd

Squared
    Before the start of the season, let's see what the bookies have to say...

Odds provided by fuckoffitsreal.com

Prime Time - 9/5 FAV
    Some people might say that it's just a cynical motivational ploy to see Prime Time make himself the favourite so blatantly. But he's finished in the top two in each of the past six years and for the superstitious out there, every even numbered year since 2012 has seen a Prime Time title victory. Who'd bet against him making it four titles in 2018?

Freeman - 3/1
    Last year's winner and also Mr. Consistency, since winning Division 2 at a canter Freeman hasn't finished outside the top three and has also been runner-up in the cup in the last two finals. With that kind of track record, Freeman looks to have one of the best shots yet at becoming the first person to successfully defend a title.

Smiffy405 - 10/3
    After an off-year in 2016 where he finished in midtable, Smiffy was back in the top four of the competition last season. Quite possibly the most consistent player in the game to never actually clinch a title, Smiffy has been right up there in previous seasons and has even seen the title go elsewhere thanks only to bonus points. Don't bet against him finally getting a much-deserved title this time around.

'Bear and Mazza - 8/1
    Hard to separate these two former champions. Both two-time champions but whose interest in football seems to have drifted a little in recent years, Chris thanks to relocation and Maz thanks to the continued presence of Arsene Wenger. After years of being there or thereabouts Maz finished in the middle of the pack last year while 'Bear won division 2, with Maz in particular being prone to much more up and down performance in recent seasons. They are both capable of blowing everyone else out of the water, as dominant title wins have shown, but the question is can either of them put together a strong enough performance across the whole season?

Anonymous and Wilkimania - 11/1
    After a number of season's of struggling, Wilkimania looked like he might pull of a title victory at times last season, and while there isn't a history of playing consistently and getting into the top four on a regular basis, the talent is clearly there and if he can get on a roll, who knows where he can end up. Anonymous has played the game a lot less regularly but having won the Euro 2016 contest, he followed that up with a solid midtable finish in the top flight last season, and I don't think you can rule out his making a move for the championship this time either.

That's my look at the favourites ahead of the season. And if you don't like the blurb that I've written up for you or are unhappy that you didn't make the list of favourites, the best way to make me look stupid and prove me wrong is by getting involved and doing better than I expect!

OK everyone, time to get underway. Good luck for the season.
    Last edited by Prime Time; 08-04-2017 at 08:39 AM.

Squared
    Right, let's get things underway. You'll see a different layout for the fixtures this year. That's because the place I normally get them don't easily allow you to copy and paste fixtures anymore, so I need to get them from somewhere else. I'm giving everyone fair warning now, make sure you don't leave any of the time in your score, because the rules are that ambiguous answers count against you and it will count as whatever ridiculous number you post!

With that out of the way...

ROUND ONE FIXTURES

Saturday 12th August
    Watford 12:30 Liverpool
    Chelsea 15:00 Burnley
    Crystal Palace 15:00 Huddersfield Town
    Everton 15:00 Stoke City
    Southampton 15:00 Swansea City
    West Bromwich Albion 15:00 Bournemouth
    Brighton and Hove Albion 17:30 Manchester City

Sunday 13th August
    Newcastle United 13:30 Tottenham Hotspur
    Manchester United 16:00 West Ham United

BONUS: Who will be top of the Premier League at the end of August 2017?

DEADLINE: 12.28PM Sat 12th August.

Just a reminder that the preseason bonuses need to be in earlier than this deadline - before Arsenal and Leicester on Friday night.

Give me £100 on myself.

ROUND ONE FIXTURES

Saturday 12th August
    Watford 0 - 0 Liverpool
    Chelsea 2 - 0 Burnley
    Crystal Palace 1 - 0 Huddersfield Town
    Everton 2 - 1 Stoke City
    Southampton 1 - 1 Swansea City
    West Bromwich Albion 2 - 0 Bournemouth
    Brighton and Hove Albion 0 - 2 Manchester City

Sunday 13th August
    Newcastle United 0 - 2 Tottenham Hotspur
    Manchester United 3 - 0 West Ham United

BONUS: Who will be top of the Premier League at the end of August 2017? Manchester United
    Last edited by Golden; 08-09-2017 at 06:42 AM.

Squared
    If you're going to back yourself, you're going to wanna make sure you don't miss bonus questions....

I'll put a fiver on myself being the first manager sacked.

ROUND ONE FIXTURES

Saturday 12th August
    Watford 0-2 Liverpool
    Chelsea 2-0 Burnley
    Crystal Palace 1-1 Huddersfield Town
    Everton 2-0 Stoke City
    Southampton 2-0 Swansea City
    West Bromwich Albion 2-0 Bournemouth
    Brighton and Hove Albion 0-4 Manchester City

Sunday 13th August
    Newcastle United 1-1 Tottenham Hotspur
    Manchester United 1-1 West Ham United

BONUS: Who will be top of the Premier League at the end of August 2017? Man City

Saturday 12th August
    Watford 0-2 Liverpool
    Chelsea 3-0 Burnley
    Crystal Palace 2-1 Huddersfield Town
    Everton 2-1 Stoke City
    Southampton 2-1 Swansea City
    West Bromwich Albion 1-1 Bournemouth
    Brighton and Hove Albion 1-4 Manchester City

Sunday 13th August
    Newcastle United 1-2 Tottenham Hotspur
    Manchester United 2-1 West Ham United

BONUS: Who will be top of the Premier League at the end of August 2017? Liverpool

Squared
    aturday 12th August
    Watford 0-2 Liverpool
    Chelsea 3-1 Burnley
    Crystal Palace 3-2 Huddersfield Town
    Everton 2-1 Stoke City
    West Bromwich Albion 2-1 Bournemouth
    Brighton and Hove Albion 1-3 Manchester City

Sunday 13th August
    Newcastle United 1-2 Tottenham Hotspur
    Manchester United 2-0 West Ham United

BONUS: Who will be top of the Premier League at the end of August 2017? Man City

1. Which player will score the first goal of the Premier League season? Mo Salah
    4. Who will be the first manager to leave their club this season? Marco Silva

ROUND ONE FIXTURES

Saturday 12th August
    Watford 0 - 1 Liverpool
    Chelsea 2 - 1 Burnley
    Crystal Palace 3 - 0 Huddersfield Town
    Everton 1 - 0 Stoke City
    Southampton 2 - 1 Swansea City
    West Bromwich Albion 1 - 1 Bournemouth
    Brighton and Hove Albion 1 - 4 Manchester City

Sunday 13th August
    Newcastle United 1 - 2 Tottenham Hotspur
    Manchester United 1 - 0 West Ham United

BONUS: Who will be top of the Premier League at the end of August 2017? Chelsea

I think half of my total post count is from posting in this thread. lol.
    Last edited by thekorean; 08-05-2017 at 02:37 PM.

4. Who will be the first manager to leave their club this season? Chris Hughton
    6. Who will be the last remaining undefeated side in the Premier League this season? Tottenham
    8. Romelu Lukakuís first EPL goal for Manchester United will come against which opposition? West Ham
    9. Newcastleís first win back in the top flight will come against which opposition? Huddersfield
    10. Who will win the Premier League? Tottenham

ROUND ONE FIXTURES

Saturday 12th August
    Watford 0 - 2 Liverpool
    Chelsea 2-0 Burnley
    Everton 1 - 0 Stoke City
    Southampton 2 - 1 Swansea City
    West Bromwich Albion 1 - 1 Bournemouth
    Brighton and Hove Albion 1 - 4 Manchester City

Sunday 13th August
    Newcastle United 1 - 3 Tottenham Hotspur
    Manchester United 2-1 West Ham United

BONUS: Who will be top of the Premier League at the end of August 2017? Chelsea

If we could start the cup on week 1, I'd back myself, I'm generally great after that

Saturday 12th August
    Watford 0-2 Liverpool
    Chelsea 1-0 Burnley
    Everton 2-0 Stoke City
    Southampton 1-0 Swansea City
    West BromwichAlbion 1-0 Bournemouth
    Brighton and Hove Albion 0-3 Manchester City

Sunday 13th August
    Newcastle United 0-2 Tottenham Hotspur
    Manchester United 1-1 West Ham United

BONUS: Who will be top of the Premier League at the end of August 2017? Man city

Saturday 12th August
    Watford 0-2 Liverpool
    Chelsea 3-1 Burnley
    Crystal Palace 1-0 Huddersfield Town
    Everton 1-2 Stoke City
    West Bromwich Albion 0-0 Bournemouth
    Brighton and Hove Albion 2-3 Manchester City

Sunday 13th August
    Newcastle United 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur
    Manchester United 2-0 West Ham United

BONUS: Who will be top of the Premier League at the end of August 2017? Manchester City