Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glorious! The Bobby Roode Thread

Protector of the Oomph

Glorious! The Bobby Roode Thread

Discuss all things Glorious One.

Here he's such a good bad guy:

Protector of the Oomph
    Fast forward to the coming years: what an obnoxious, obnoxious MItB briefcase holder Bobby Roode will one day be. The champion will have to get a restraining order.

Hopefully next year because he's not getting any younger.

Protector of the Oomph
    He's in the best shape of his life, or close, so I give him 5 strong years. Triple H seems to be good with him, and Roode has thanked Michaels, who is working nXt, for helping him. So he's getting in with the right people, as it were. I want a Royal Rumble win on his resume before he retires, but that might be too much hope.

He seems to have vanished already. Poor booking or just out of favour?

The Brain
    I heard he came up as a face, which seems like entirely the wrong path. I know people like to sing the song, but that doesn't change the spots on the guy. I've been ok with face Roode in the past but he's always been best as a heel, so hopefully this isn't him already getting lost in the shuffle.

Squared
    Giving this one a bump, as I'd guess face or no, Roode's going to be having a busy run through from Survivor Series until at least next Summerslam, with a reasonably big spot at Wrestlemania.

Quite where he goes after Ziggler I'm not sure. If he's going to stay babyface then I'd imagine someone like Baron Corbin might be in his future eventually, but I'd hope that'd be down the line unless they wanted to give Roode the win in the end.

The Brain
    I'm hoping they won't wait too long for a heel turn for this guy. I know people love to sing the theme song, but the man is always better as a heel.

Squared
    In a way, I think it's a good stress test as to whether NXT is fully part of WWE or seen as a separate entity. If he turns quickly, it's on it's own. If he doesn't, it'll be as much because he has just turned and they don't want to flip back so quick. But yeah - I remember when he was first breaking out as a singles star in TNA, getting popular, and was GUTTED that they changed him because he was getting hot at a time when becoming a popular top babyface was just almost impossible. But the intervening years have shown it was the right way to go.

The Brain
    That lead up to BFG 2011 is one of Shane's key talking points in the career of Bobby Roode, so I've analyzed it more than once! It really was a strange scenario, with Roode being clearly built up as the top face and then those bizarre comments from Hogan dropping just before the PPV about how Roode was not the guy, and things suddenly changed direction. But yeah, I don't think he could have become as popular long term as he did if he didn't have that 2012-2013 heel run, which really was spectacular.

Another thing people overlook with Roode is he's a really phenomenal and versatile tag wrestler too. Team Canada, Beer Money, and the Dirty Heels are all among the best teams of their respective eras. I hope he gets a strong singles run in WWE, but a few years down the line I wouldn't mind seeing him paired up with someone to prolong his time as a major player.

Who from the current roster would you pair him with, mizzles? I'm kind of struggling to see a natural fit right now, but equally think that any tag run could be reasoned out eventually.

The Brain
    Well, I wouldn't want him in the tag division for a while yet so things could change in the interim, but based on the current roster I could come up with a few ideas:

The Miz - assuming both guys weren't needed in the singles division, I think they could form an awesome better-than-you self aggrandizing team. I also think they would have unexpected chemistry. If WWE was smart enough to ally them but not make them exclusive to the tag division, that'd be even better.

Drew Gulak - It seems like he's doing well on 205 Live, and if he does well enough to break out of the division I think this would be a great take-themselves-too-seriously team. Roode can do the quietly funny thing just like Gulak, and I bet they could do a lot together.

I also wouldn't be opposed to seeing a reunion with Eric Young somewhere (way) down the line, or if he could form a Piper/Bob Orton type relationship with a heavy like Harper or Rusev that could be pure gold too.

My ultimate dream is to see Roode finally aligned with the Revival as a three man group, but that's something a little different. God, but they would go together well.

Squared
    I kinda think that the way to do it will be with a young up-and-comer, so they might not even be on the roster right now. If you have someone that you're very high on put them with Roode and let him season them up a bit, learn the craft alongside him. And then when they're ready you split the team and you've got a ready made first feud.

I mean you could do that with someone now, but I think it'd be a mistake to pull the trigger on that now. I'd use Roode as a singles wrestler a lot more first.

The Brain
    Oh, absolutely. If he doesn't get at least a couple strong years as a singles guy, I'll be bummed out.

Squared
    Roode has worked pretty smart I think. I wouldn't be surprised if physically he can go as long as he likes, barring the unforeseen and unfortunate. So yeah, should be no excuses for not getting a good couple of years.

The Brain
    I think the only thing will be mental. He has talked about how he was ready to retire in 2016 when he felt he wasn't being used well. Now he says he has a good 5 years left and I believe him, but if things do go sour in WWE (which they shouldn't, but you never know) I can see him cutting that short. He's definitely been smart in his career though, one of the better less is more guys right now.

Squared
    Would the chance to work Royal Rumble, Wrestlemania, Survivor Series, Summerslam, and Raw, maybe keep you more mentally fresh? Still plenty of iconic things for him to do. Or is how he is used going to be more important?

I'd like to see a few years single and a few as tag, but we'll see.

The Brain
    I think it's important to him to do work that's meaningful. Getting featured at big and historically significant shows is of course going to be a factor, but if he falls down the card like, say, Sami Zayn or something, I feel burnout is a lot more likely. I've got the same hopes as you, but the NXT call up track record is so spotty I'm braced for things to potentially go downhill.

Squared
    I like Zayn, and think that in NXT he had a connection with the fans that is invaluable in a babyface, and it should be considered criminal for the WWE to have squandered that.

With that said, there are all kinds of reasons that make me think Roode will hang around the top of the card way more. His size and his proven versatility are just two factors.

Funny, could have stuck this in Dolph's thread too, but watching the match between them at HIAC when one of the announcers said they both have something to prove to the WWE Universe, my girlfriend (the prototype casual fan) pipes up "neither of them have anything to prove to me!"

Which was fun.

He hasn't faced any of the top guys yet and is one of the only main event calibre guys who could have an interesting run to Wrestlemania.. I hope they set him up with something special he would be my personal favourite to win the Rumble.

The Brain
    I like the way this guy thinks, but that's a pretty drastic long shot.

Squared
    It would be inspired booking and love the idea, but just ain't happening so far as I can see.

Squared
    So, Bobby Roode isn't going to have the longest run in WWE, considering his age. Potential Wrestlemania opponents for his few big matches at the biggest stage?

A few years ago a lot of people's dream match was Roode vs Hunter, but I imagine that's gone down the order a bit for most people nowadays. As for the other guys, a lot of them will have worked with him in TNA, or NXT in the case of Shinsuke.

Are the various S.H.I.E.L.D. members the obvious way to go?

@lopprimetime

I've never really thought of Roode as a dream match guy. Maybe cause I'm not that high on him as a performer... However, he's a good hand that WWE seems to value right now and due to the brand split, there's still plenty of guys Roode hasn't really worked. A Triple H match would be amusing but i think WWE knows they shouldn't do that match.

The Brain
    Roode is at his best with a good character/story to sink himself into, and I'm not sure that's available right now. I think he could click with a lot of people, but if they don't do the legwork to contextualize it, nothing jumps out that would be a dream match without it. He's not really that kind of performer.

Squared
    I mean, I think it depends on what you want from a dream match, doesn't it. Not going to give you all the flips for sure, but he is very sound in an old-fashioned sense.

But looks like he's going to be in and around the US title scene, from what I have heard. So with any luck he can emerge with the strap and some high profile stuff can emerge from there.

@lopprimetime

The Brain
    If his competition so far as been Dolph Ziggler and Baron Corbin, that doesn't speak too well for the division. I'd be very much down with a match against Sami Zayn though, I think they could quietly put on a dark horse MOTN candidate at 'Mania based on what we've heard about the card so far.

As I just said in the AJ Styles thread, is that Smackdown does not have the talent on the roster to do anything with.

You have KO, Orton, Styles and maybe Nakamura as the only Main Event level talent. The next step down is pretty far: Roode, Ziggler, Corbin, Zayn, and Rusev has fallen so far down. The four of those guys wouldn;t even sniff the main event on RAW.

RAW's talent is stacked: Strowman, Lesnar, Reigns, Rollins, Ambrose, Joe, The Miz, even Balor. 7/8 guys that could all hold the Uni belt and be appropriate.

The Brain
    It does seem like Smackdown currently suffers from having a lot of poorly handled guys. A lot of those next step down guys have plenty of potential to be hot in the main event, but not the way they've been booked.

Ziggler is past his prime, can still go, but the clock ran out on him a long time ago.

Roode is 40, and if he gets a major title run it will not be for at least a year, so maybe never.

Rusev could be huge is he reverts back to the "Rusev Crush".

Corbin....I still do not see anything in him except that he is tall, and bald.

The Brain
    Yeah, I've got nothing for Corbin. I also agree it's too late for Ziggler, but I think if WWE had not mishandled him for years he could have easily been on that level. Rusev could be there but WWE doesn't seem to have any real interest in pursuing it.

Roode has the best shot of the four. I hope he gets a decent story to sink his teeth into, because that's where he really shines. As long as he's just a generic babyface in a robe with a catchy theme song, he can only get so far.

Roode should beat Corbin and Ziggler on Sunday for the US Title.

But at some point, maybe right after Mania, Roode needs to turn heel. The Glorious gimmick is much better suited for a heel. The I am better than you gimmick.

The Brain
    100% agree with both points, Roode has always been at his best as a heel, especially in the last few years. Honestly, I would be happy if he turned heel long before 'Mania.

I was going to say before Mania, but why? He has been on the main roster for about 6 months, hasn't held a title yet, so winning the US Title on Sunday is the first step. He should also keep the title until Mania and he should lose it there.

Vince has this thing about other company institutions losing their first Mania match. Sting and Styles, when both should have won.

Then once he loses the Title, he uses that as fodder for the turn.

Squared
    Well they didn't go that route (not yet anyway) so I guess we are back to thinking of ideal opponents for Roode at Wrestlemania.

@lopprimetime

At Clash of Champions Roode was actually getting over as a face. I agree completely that he is better as a heel but given that they have set him up as a face and it is working I don't think they should turn him so quickly. Maybe once he gets the belt it could be a catalyst for the more arrogant side of him to come out.

Squared
    I grabbed a few quotes from a recent interview with Bobby Roode:

On joining NXT at the ring moment: “I came in at a really good time. Timing is everything in this business and at that time I was coming in and a lot of guys were moving up. It was the year of the draft, so a lot of big names from NXT were able to be called up to Raw and SmackDown so a lot of holes to fill. That was when my experience came in and was able to work alongside Samoa Joe. Joe and I had a lot of history before and Joe knew me and I knew Joe. He was one of the main reasons why I came down to NXT so I was able to work with Joe, Austin Aries, got to be put into matches with Nakamura and Finn Balor. Then, when everybody kind of moved on and up I was able to have the opportunity to be the face of the brand and be put into a feud with Nakamura for around eight months. It was amazing, and such a great experience. We started travelling around domestically and be put on all the live events, it was a really rewarding experience.”

On the change from NXT to the main roster: “I knew coming in the door that regardless of what I had done in NXT this is a new ballgame, and to be honest with you, a new audience. The NXT TakeOver crowds are great and everything else, you go to a TakeOver and the crowd is rowdy, but for whatever reason the next night it isn’t as rowdy so there are some NXT fans that will follow you around, but majority of the time I will go into a town and nobody will know who Bobby Roode is for the first time, so that is different and I knew that so you really have to go out there and re-establish yourself. It’s like starting from scratch again.”

On not working the indies between Impact and WWE: “I think people understood because the guys I worked with at other companies saw the writing on the wall. I have zero regrets in my career, and was treated very well, but I just came to the point in my career that I was part of a company for over 12 years and felt like I did everything that I could possibly do over there. I was doing well, supporting my family and have zero complaints, but this goes back to the question as I stated a while ago; I’m going to go to work for six days and then go sit for two months and then they’d want me to come back to work seven days, maybe twice in one day and then go sit down for three months, that is not why I got into the business for. I got into the business to be on the road, working live crowds and on television, being home for a couple of days and then going back on the road. That is the type of schedule that I want, and the type of schedule of why I got into this business. Working there I started to lose the passion for the business that I have always loved. I love the business and I had gotten to the point in my career while working for that company that I started to not love it anymore, so that was when I went home and figured out what I wanted to do to see if I still loved it. Fortunately for me I got the opportunity and it’s been great.”

@lopprimetime

Great find there Prime.

Those comments about main roster being a completely new ballgame are interesting given the changes to his character moving up. As I said I think that he has slowly worked his way over as a face even though it is pretty obvious that the best iteration of his current character is as a heel. Speaks to the quality of the guy.

Love the guys work ethic too, if he wants lots of time on the road then he chose the right company. I wonder how things are at home for him? Does he have a family?

I really hope this feud with Ziggler goes somewhere beyond a 6 way match at Mania for the belt, if anyone deserves a chance at a singles match at Mania it is Ziggler and Roode would be a great opponent for him.

But they've already done Roode vs Ziggler and it was pretty much shit. It also led into all of this stuff. So doing a lengthy US title tournament to crown a new champion, just to go back to the feud that was set up before this tournament, is kind of lazy and not really going to give us a whole lot of good stuff.

I don't know what you do with US Champion Roode otherwise, mind you. Rusev and Mojo seem like they could be primed as opponents pretty easily, but the thought of either squaring off with Roode doesn't fill me with that much joy.

To be honest, I think Smackdown's roster depth is poor right now. You've got a bunch of guys in tags who could easily be lined up as singles opponents for Roode, though. I want to see an extended Roode vs Breeze program.

Squared
    How are you feeling about the Rusev - Roode stuff now?

@lopprimetime