Thread: The Beatles - General Discussion

Paul McCartney or John Lennon - Which was better?

Here's a controversial topic... Who was the better musician, writer, performer, etc. between former Beatles John Lennon or Paul McCartney?

It's tough for me, like picking between 2 children. LOVED their Beatles music and I'm actually a big fan of both of their post-Beatles efforts. Almost equal but I'm leaning Lennon.

With Lennon, he was the stronger of the two Beatles early on but once the drugs hit him, his music got weirder. Meanwhile, Paul improved greatly as a song writer and had some of their more iconic hits later. Their solo careers are equal to me, although I like Lennon's biggest hits better than Paul's. However, Paul has a better body of work as many of Lennon's non-hit songs are kinda clunkers. But damn Lennon's biggest solo efforts are in my top 10 of all time, "Imagine" and "Instant Karma".

Lennon for me, but it's close.

The Greatest of All Time LWO4Life's Avatar
    I'm going off what my dad listened to, therefore what I grew up on. And that's Lennon. He loved Lennon. Also, I think just looking at both their Christmas songs, I can listen to Lennon, but not McCartney. LOL, it's so close it comes down to Christmas songs to me... j/k.

Has Vince McMahon Lost Confidence in Roman Reigns.

George Harrison. Never gets the credit he deserves for being a visionary.

I actually prefer Harrison too. Love me some Travelling Wilburys.

This was always one of my favorite videos as a kid too.

In the topic at hand, Lennon had the benefit of dying which always enhances the legacy. McCartney is definitely more accessible though if someone who hadn't heard either decided to listen to both's best non-Beatles stuff.

Goldberg Rules!
    I preferred the B-Sharps.

Quote Originally Posted by T.O. View Post
    I preferred the B-Sharps.

Beautiful Simpsons reference.

George Harrison by a country mile. Considering he taught them both how to play their instruments and effectively write music. He was the only true musician of the bunch when they got started.

Of the two though John Lennon. The only reason it is close at all is Yoko. Paul was the commercialized pop artist while John was the quintessential poet.

I'm almost tempted to even rank Ringo higher than Paul, but that just isn't realistic or unbiased.

Mick jagger

Quote Originally Posted by Kleckamania View Post
    I'm almost tempted to even rank Ringo higher than Paul, but that just isn't realistic or unbiased.
    John Lennon was once asked if Ringo was one of the best drummers in music and John answered that Ringo wasn't even the best drummer in the Beatles.

Recently Paul McCartney was playing one of the late night shows and he brought in his own drummer because Ringo cannot play the fills.

Not a fan of Harrison's solo career... He actually stole the rhythm for his "My Sweet Lord" song. Then he went pop during the 1980s... It's like he peaked towards the final years of the Beatles.

My favorite George Harrison song crushes my favorite non beatles Lennon or McCartney songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us-NgUGA-iM

Heck my favorite Post - Beatles McCartney song was for a bond movie so maybe the problem is my taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Irishsara View Post
    John Lennon was once asked if Ringo was one of the best drummers in music and John answered that Ringo wasn't even the best drummer in the Beatles.

Recently Paul McCartney was playing one of the late night shows and he brought in his own drummer because Ringo cannot play the fills.

Yeah Ringo is pretty bad lol. That's why despite how much I don't like Paul I still can't rank Ringo higher. Part of my disdain is also how Paul handled purchasing Michael Jackson's catalogue. I know MJ said it was cool, but thats what he would say even if he was furious. They were bffs at the time. The other part is just how generic/poppy his stuff was. Catchy songs, but just hollow. Kinda like Bruno Mars though ghost writers write Bruno's stuff. Like I said, I'm biased against Paul.

George didnt have a wealth of good solo material, mainly because he just wasnt a good solo guy. He's just great at feeding off other people. I still rank him highest because he was the only legit musician in the group when they started off.

McCartney because Ram, McCartney 2, and Band on the Run.
    You wanted the best, you got this instead -

http://kwangtheblog.blogspot.com

My one-stop blog spot for full reviews of wrestling pay-per-views, TV supercards, and Network Specials.

Squared
    I like George Harrison a lot, but he doesn't really have the volume of great material (especially in the Beatles era) to compete with the other two. I'd say John Lennon, if only because he gets good earlier, so there's a greater body of work, and most of the really crap Beatles songs tend to be by McCartney.

Squared

The Beatles - General Discussion

It was fifty years ago this week, that Sgt Peppers was released by The Beatles. While it's not my favourite album of theirs by any stretch, it's got a lot of songs on it that I do like a lot, and I think you've got to admire the kind of innovation that went on in creating it.

There's been a lot of programmes dedicated to the album, and to the Beatles more generally, here in the UK lately.

Thoughts on the album? When did you first hear it? Favourite songs? In my case you can pretty much divide how I think about it into the old LP 'sides'. I prefer most of the first half of the album, but then things get good again in the last couple of tracks on side 2. That'll be meaningless to anyone who never played vinyl or tapes.

Weird for me to think that when I got into The Beatles you used to talk about their albums as being 30 or so years old, and I don't think my brain has caught up to the fact that all this stuff was half a century ago - and that Paul is 74 and Ringo 76.

Squared
    So, this didn't take hold in its first incarnation so we're reprising it as a general Beatles thread, merged with this earlier discussion on John vs Paul. Shall we start things off again with favourite songs by the band?
    Last edited by Prime Time; 11-30-2017 at 08:14 AM.

The Brain
    I'm not as much into the Beatles as some, but they've got some damn good songs. Hey Jude is usually the first that comes to mind, as well as Let It Be.

Squared
    Ah, you like the ballads then?

Any favourites from the earlier stuff? I'm quite into A Hard Day's Night, Ticket To Ride, Norwegian Wood and Taxman. I'll come back in with some of the later stuff if this takes of at all.

The Brain
    I've not really thought enough about the Beatles to break it down, but yeah liking the ballads sounds pretty much up my alley. I do also like Hard Day's Night and Ticket to Ride though. Also dig All My Loving and Eleanor Rigby, and probably a fair few others if I sat down to really think about it.

Squared
    So does anyone have a favourite album? My top three in no particular order are Abbey Road, Help! , and Revolver.

In my opinion, John was the better lyricist while Paul had better vocals.

But John was the so called "leader" of The Beatles. He was the brain, the organizer and the spokesperson of The Beatles so much more than Paul, George or Ringo were.

As for their solo careers, apart from Imagine, I never really like the albums that both men produced.

Conclusion- John wins

My top 3 Beatles album

- Abbey Road
    - Sgt Pepper Lonely Hearts Club Band
    - The White Album

My favorite Beatles songs (not in any order)
    - Twist and Shout
    - Norwegian Wood
    - In My Life
    - Sgt Pepper
    - With A Little Help From My Friends
    - Come Together
    - Here Comes The Sun
    - Something
    - Let It Be