Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are you reading?

Squared
    Yes, that's right. It is less of a surprise when its the other way round.

I had a similar thing teaching war narratives when they didn't get the great stuff and loved the most mediocre stuff on the course because it is new. Understandable given their cultural reference points I guess.

The Brain
    Any examples on that? I come from a family of teachers so this kind of classroom dynamic stuff is pretty interesting to me.

Squared
    Examples of what, exactly? Not quite sure. I think you mean of the books that the students like that we don't, but do you mean the other way around?

The Brain
    Was thinking specifically of what you mentioned, classes where the students didn't get the great stuff and loved the mediocre stuff.

Squared
    Umm, well film is usually the real stark one there, but that's for a different forum really isn't it? But yeah, in literary terms, people like Palahniuk and Eggers tend to get more of a free ride while the Don DeLillo's, Franzen's, and Coupland's of the world just don't seem to resonate so much. Elsewhere when I was teaching war literature they went mad for Jarhead and it was a struggle to even get people to read way better stuff that was a bit older.

Outside of contemporary stuff the trend is to like stuff that is easy over stuff that is hard. But their tastes don't diverge from the lecturers so much when you go back to the nineteenth century and beyond, they just arrive at a different process to get there.

I started reading that book about Tolkien's language but it did nothing for me, so it's become the first book I have abandoned this year. I'm now reading Rob Andrew's book about the early years of professional Rugby as a bit of a tonic. Then I'm eyeing up the Walter Mosley book on my shelf that has been there for more than ten years.

The Brain
    Ah yeah, that stuff is pretty interesting to me. Makes me miss my college days a bit!

That Tolkien book sounds SO DRY, can't blame you for dropping it. Finished Palahniuk's "Lullaby", liked it a fair bit. Bit grim and grisly but I expected that. Not sure I'm totally satisfied with the ending but it had some very interesting stuff. Picking up his "Damned" now and it's off to a promising start, 13 year old girl dies and writes about her experiences in hell. Just barely into it but I'm looking forward to seeing what mental direction it goes in.