Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What are you reading?

The Brain
    Went through the Orange is the New Black memoir, since I've enjoyed the show a lot with my wife over the past couple years and was curious just how far from reality they've deviated. Turns out the answer is unbelievably far, to the point where the show barely resembles the story it's based on, but I kind of suspected that anyway and am able to enjoy both for what they are.

Picked up Joyland next, which is a recent King book. Not very far yet but enjoying it so far!

I'm sort of rereading the Wheel of Time to get back into Reading after barely reading anything for a few years. I say sort of because after Robert jordan died, I didn't finish the series yet and the only way I can is by rereading the massive saga.

Reading the first book, Eye of the World for a think the third time on my kindle. Its probably my favorite epic fantasy novel of all time, pretty straight forward, but fantastic world building... Still as enjoyable as it was when i was a teen.

Squared
    Now reading the Narrative of Olaudah Equianoh. And a new novel, called American War, set after a second Civil War. Only just started the latter but it has some good reviews and an interesting enough premise.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

The Brain
    My Dad always said the biggest problem with Wheel of Time is it's so long that once you get into the later books, you need a whole damn flow chart to remember who everybody is, haha. Still, I ought to give it a shot at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    My Dad always said the biggest problem with Wheel of Time is it's so long that once you get into the later books, you need a whole damn flow chart to remember who everybody is, haha. Still, I ought to give it a shot at some point.

Well, it does get a little side character happy later. Mostly, I think fan consenus has been after the first 6 or 7 books, the plot slows to a crawl that for some it can be frustrating to finish. I don't really feel that way, but i get the point.. For me I got into the Eye of the World, was engrossed in the characters and loving up until book 10 then I was like okay, bring it home lol.

Wonder how I'll feel now. Its definitely a commitment.... but where most people complain that Robert Jordan is too dense with details, I personally love it cause it makes the world real to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
    Well, it does get a little side character happy later. Mostly, I think fan consenus has been after the first 6 or 7 books, the plot slows to a crawl that for some it can be frustrating to finish. I don't really feel that way, but i get the point.. For me I got into the Eye of the World, was engrossed in the characters and loving up until book 10 then I was like okay, bring it home lol.

Wonder how I'll feel now. Its definitely a commitment.... but where most people complain that Robert Jordan is too dense with details, I personally love it cause it makes the world real to me.

<3<3<3<3<3

Loooooove Wheel Of Time! Robert Jordan was a fucking grand master at both creating a tangible world, and closing out books. I don't think I've ever come across a better author at either of those things. Each book builds slowly, but the last 100-200 or so pages of each book is pulse pounding amazingness. The fantasy elements will have you daydreaming for weeks. The first book is the easiest read. The pace picks up about 80 pages in, and never lets up. The last 100 or so pages are just masterful. There are very few authors who spark my imagination the way he could. I was crushed when he died, and I still havent read the last book in the series because he didnt write it. Though I've had multiple friends say that it stayed true to his vision and his tone. He did write it's outline though, so it's only the details that aren't truly him. I plan on reading it at some point. I figured when I get my kids into real books would be when.

Like Lazy said, the beginning of each book, like the first 200-300 pages tend to just be setting the stage, but man oh man are you rewarded for hanging in there at the end of each book.

Edit- Currently rereading The Art Of War. Such a timeless classic. It's like Peter Pan in that reading it at different points in your life gives you different values from it.
    Last edited by Kleckamania; 04-07-2018 at 05:20 AM.

The Brain
    Getting close to finished with Joyland. It's... not heavy on plot, but I don't necessarily mind that with King's writing, as I like the characters he creates. It's also not very supernatural, though there is a little bit of that going on. A lot of it has just coming of age/slice of life stuff, but now there's something about a murderer kicking in at the end, and I'm not sure how I feel about it. We'll see how it plays out!

I'm kind of, sort of reading Lonesome Dove. I'm about 1/3 of the way through and I'm not sure I want to finish it. I am also on the 4th book of The Mortal Instruments and reading Secret Empire on Marvel Unlimited. For anyone looking for a new fantasy epic to start, try The Stomrlight Archive by the guy who finished up TWOT, Brandon Sanderson.

Squared
    There's a Brandon Sanderson specific thread down the page if it takes your fancy, Xan.

Warning in advance, the project I'm working on might lead to me talking about some pretty weird books in here over the next few months.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

The Brain
    Whatcha working on, Pete?

Squared
    I'll pm you about it, mate.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

Well then, PM me, too.

I'm reading The Damned United by David Peace. Really good so far.

The Brain
    Haven't heard of that one, but it sounds interesting!

Finished Joyland, it was alright but not one of King's best I'd say. Since his bibliography is seemingly endless (in a good way), I decided to finally sit down and read The Running Man. I enjoyed the film when I watched it a long time ago and it's something a bit different, as he wrote it under the Bachman pseudonym and makes an effort to change up his style a little.

Mizfan, do you have a goodreads? Goes to everyone else I guess. We could have a little LOP bookclub
    Last edited by Lazyking; 04-16-2018 at 11:47 AM.

Squared
    There was an effort at an LoP bookclub before. I don't know if it ran for more than one book. I still think picking the Divine Comedy by Dante was a bit of a big swing first up....

Mizfan, not sure you'll be into The Damned United as it's about soccer in the 1970s. Although if you can get past that, and the fact it has an anorak's attention to historical detail, then you might be: it's a fairly dark look inside the head of a tortured head coach at a club where he's talked himself into a corner and even his own player's want to see him fail. And it's darker still because it's pretty much all true.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

The Brain
    I actually don't even really know what goodreads is but I'd be willing to find out!

I saw the word "soccer" and immediately lost interest, but then I read the rest of your post and now I actually might be interested again. My stack of unread books is pretty high right now but I'll keep it in mind for down the line!

Goodreads ie a community where you shelve your books you've read, find books that you want to read, you can review your books, meet other people that like the same books etc.. if you get books from Amazon, then you can link Amazon to your goodreads to add them to your books profile.

I find it to be fun site and since i'm basically all digital now, its easy for me to keep track even if i don't use all the features.

I don't have a Goodreads account, but I do read the reviews there from time to time.

Squared
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    nd a new novel, called American War, set after a second Civil War. Only just started the latter but it has some good reviews and an interesting enough premise.
    Now finished this. It wasn't for me, but if like books like The Road that are pretty relentlessly bleak there's a fairly interesting plot in there.

Once I've finished the Equianoh I'm going to crack on with another Douglas Adams from Hitchikers, just because they're so easy to read in comparison.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

Love that series

The Brain
    Ah, just hearing it mentioned makes me want to re-read the Hitchhiker series. So, so good.

Finished The Running Man and really enjoyed it, different than the film but good in a different way. Definitely couldn't use that same ending if it was written today, that's for sure!

Started up another King-as-Bachman, called Blaze. It's not especially fast paced but it's interesting and tense. I'm both intrigued and a little afraid of how it will end, which I guess is a good thing.

I'm actually rereading two of my favorites at the moment "Ready Player One" and "The Once and Future King." I haven't seen the "Ready Player One" movie yet and wanted to reread the book before I did.
    Last edited by heelpastor; 04-24-2018 at 12:51 AM.

Thank the Wrestling Gods