Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The Final Frontier - Star Trek Thread

Squared
    Yeah, I'd watch 2 for all those reasons, for sure.

It still is in another league when you get to season 3 though.

I'd be interested in running what seems to be the general consensus past people, which from a lot of places seems to be this:

It keeps getting better until season 6, which is basically flawless. And then 7 is very good, but not quite so good as 6 had been, albeit still with some terrific episodes.

Thoughts?

@lopprimetime

Samuel Plan
    While I don't know TNG anywhere near well enough to comment on that (though starting to feel the urge to watch it again from the start too!) I did want to protest us talking about the best of S2 and not mentioning anywhere near the degree we should one of the finest pieces of Trek ever written - Measure of a Man.

Squared
    That is a fine bit of TV. I think you can put it against pretty much anything and it'd hold up well.

Watching the Bond holosuite episode from DS9. There's no hope for anyone who doesn't get a kick out of this...

@lopprimetime

I'm pretty excited to watch DS9

The Brain
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    Watching the Bond holosuite episode from DS9. There's no hope for anyone who doesn't get a kick out of this...
    Any episode that features Garak in a major role is automatically solid gold in my eyes. One of the best Trek characters ever.

Squared
    This is true. Fantastic acting of one of the great TV characters. No doubt.

@lopprimetime

Samuel Plan
    Garak is possibly one of my favourite Trek characters generally, I think. I love his complexity. Plus, he basically saved the entire Alpha Q in In the Pale Moonlight.

I did love Weyoun as well, but that might be more me being a fan of Jeffrey Combs!

Squared
    Jeffrey Combs is amazing, both as Weyoun and Liquidator Brunt.

Less keen on the Andorian character in Enterprise, but still good.

@lopprimetime

Samuel Plan
    Following LK's example I've started TNG from the beginning too, and just got through watching The Last Outpost.

I'm pretty sure that didn't make an iota of any sense whatsoever, but I got a real kick out of imagining the same story from the Ferengi perspective as they were by the time DS9 ended, using the benefit of their relative anonymity at the time to pretend they were something they never were. Totally dumb episode, but fun for that reason!
    101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die: The Book is now available to buy on Amazon UK, Amazon US and Amazon Europe! Just search for "101 WWE Matches" and it'll pop up!

~ Samuel Plan

Squared
    I don't know if I'm likely to watch TNG from the beginning again, but I may do a more selective rewatch. I still need to go all the way through Enterprise again at some point, and there's some bits in the middle series of Voyager that I don't know so well... but at the same time TNG does appeal more.

So, I was thinking. I slightly (maybe more than slightly) pissed off 'Plan in the Star Wars thread with my comment that George Lucas wasn't actually very good at extending his story beyond its initial limits. I could say a lot more about that in the Star Wars thread and may come back to it if the mood takes me, but for now... in the interest of fairness and I know for some this'll be blasphemy, but looking at it you can probably say the same thing about Gene Roddenberry and Star Trek.

Look at the record. Roddenberry was basically the creative force behind three things: the first two series of The Original Series, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, and the first two series of The Next Generation. There's good episodes in both the original series and the early TNG, but neither are as consistent as series 3-7 and then DS9, and ST:TMP is the worst Star Trek movie by some distance. The movie series picks up when they take it from Gene and hand it to Harve Bennett (with a lot of input from Nimoy and Nick Meyer), and the the later Trek TV stuff picks up when Berman and Piller really become the driving force behind it.

@lopprimetime

I'm a newbie to the franchise really but I don't think that Roddenberry is revered for his ablity to make good trek. I've been reading around on the web, epsiode recaps on tor.com and while Gene was the driving force for Star Trek, creating the vision of a better world.. etc, it was others who took the concept and ran with it. He's not considered a very good writer (probably worse than Lucas) He apparently went around telling people not to to watch Wrath of Khan because it 'wasn't trek' and he's largely to blame for TNG's early struggles.. him and his lawyer made it impossible on the other writers.