View Poll Results: Which is the Greatest Metallica Studio Album?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kill 'Em All

0 0%
  • Ride the Lightning

1 16.67%
  • Master of Puppets

2 33.33%
  • .... And Justice for All

1 16.67%
  • Metallica

2 33.33%
  • Load

0 0%
  • Reload

0 0%
  • St. Anger

0 0%
  • Death Magnetic

0 0%
  • Hardwired... to Self Destruct

0 0%

Thread: Best Metallica album

Squared

Best Metallica album

Metallica are always a band that inspire a bit of debate. They're often listed as people's favourite band, too. So I guess that, even though I wouldn't go that far myself, they're a good place to try and kickstart a bit of discussion. I've posted a poll, but let's get some thoughts and reasoning behind it the vote in the thread too: so, which is the best Metallica studio album to date?

I'll open things off with a vote for Ride the Lightning. I'd say that because most of the albums I find I can move in and out of and could quite happily condense down to just a couple of tracks, and you'd only be left with 1-2 albums where I'm a big fan of the whole thing. When you get down to that level, I'm not sure there's anything in the catalogue that I'd put at the same level of the last 12 minutes or so of Ride the Lightning Side 1 (for the old timers).

But that's just me - and there'll be much bigger fans with far stronger opinions out there. So tell us - which really is the greatest Metallica album?

If you're a fan of guitar over bass and love incredibly technical shit then justice is your album.

It's so complicated they can't even play half of it live.

I've got a massive justice poster in my front room.

Anything before the black album is amazing anyway. No, I wasn't really alive in the 80s but I prefer the older stuff.

Squared
    I don't generally go for the overly intricate stuff, which might explain why I've never liked Justice particularly. Don't get me wrong, I respect the virtuouso stuff like the Steve Vai's of the world, but I never really love it. I guess deep down I'm more of a 'Romantic' than a 'Classicist', if you follow me. But yeah, I guess that's the reason it'd feature in the bottom half for me.

Ah man, you are making me vote for their best album? That's like picking a favorite kid!!!

I just saw Metallica on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert tonight where they performed "Now That We're Dead." It was a solid performance that was edited (they cut a few parts of the song for TV).

Now, onto my Metallica fandom. I have watched parts of their first 3 shows on their Stadium Tour that started Wednesday in Baltimore. Their live version of "Now That We're Dead" includes these sick tribal massive drums that gives a Sepultura kind of vibe. I have seen Metallica 10 times live, saw them last August in Minneapolis where they essentially performed a "greatest hits" concert. It was epic. I am flying to Chicago next month to see them at Soldier Field, and if my arm is twisted, I see there are tickets available for their Western US dates, so I could see myself traveling for those dates as well. It is possible Metallica will do a North American arena tour in late 2018, but they are pretty much booked for Stadium shows throughout the world until then. So, if you wanna see them, you may have to be willing to travel.

Here is the set-list from August 20 in Minneapolis, which I bought and have in my car at all times:

https://metallica.com/tour/18991

Now for the best album, I honestly think the first disc of Hardwired is damn solid. Over on the Metallica forums, a fun game we have played is put the Hardwired song on the record it sounds most like. I would put St. Anger near the bottom due to the band's turmoil during the recording process that was seen in the documentary "Some Kind of Monster." I have always been partial to the And Justice album as I feel the overall sentiment of the death of the American Dream resonates well today, but there are a few songs I tend to skip. From top to bottom, Master of Puppets has always been my favorite, so I voted for that album. The Black Album since its release has sold more records worldwide than any other album, and they are playing 5 songs (Sandman, Sad, Unforgiven, Roam, Nothing Else Matters) on their current tour, which includes this awesome new intro for Unforgiven. The Load/Reload albums were good, but the problem was that heavy metal was in a very different place at this time with the rise of bands like Pantera, the first several years of the Ozzfest Tour, and they don't hold up to what their peers were creating at that time.

Still haven't heard Hardwired. I bought Death Magnetic, and while the album was solid, Unforgiven 3 made it very apparent that Hetfield's vocals just aren't what they used to be. I know that's to be expected, but I guess I'm worried about hearing him today and being severely disappointed.
    I think it's awesome that the word lisp has an "s" in it.

So, I did a quick listen of Death Magnetic. I agree that it is a solid album but Hetfield's vocals were not a strong suit on that album.

With Hardwired, the background is something like this: Kirk "supposedly" had over 250 riffs stored on his phone that he proceeded to lose (always back up your stuff!!!), so he didn't factor much into the songwriting at all. Lars, Rob, and James spent 6 months jamming and coming up with ideas. They then entered the studio to record the songs. I personally believe Hardwired is Metallica's best album since the Black Album, and it can be easily found on youtube if you want to give it a listen. The released singles so far are Hardwired/Atlus, Rise!/Moth Into Flame/ and Now That We're Dead. The one song I hope to hear them perform is Spit Out The Bone.

I did listen to parts of their concert tonight from Uniondale, caught From Whom The Bell Tolls, Ride the Lightening and Atlus, Rise!. The band itself has said that can't play all the damn time and have instituted a 50 concert MAX per year and they don't play back to back nights. 2 weeks on the road, 2 weeks at home. I believe the rest and recovery they put into their tours help them perform at a high level each night. They also sound incredibly cohesive and tight from everything I have heard on their tour since last August. While I have plenty of bootlegs of their stuff from their first 20 years, and there are some insane concerts, the boys were heavily under the influence of various chemicals so there are times things may not be at their peak. While setlists from that time are bonkers, I do believe their approach today really means they perform at a very high level every night.

Squared
    If you're not the biggest fan of the band, and you didn't like St. Anger at all, are either of the most recent two worth a listen? Just wondering if it's worth bothering.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    If you're a fan of guitar over bass and love incredibly technical shit then justice is your album.
    Lars, James, and Kirk began their incessant hazing of Newsted with the recording of this album. It is not "guitar over bass", it is simply that they deliberately lowered the bass on the recordings to fuck with Newsted. Newsted has said in may interviews that the band never truly got over Cliff's death and they constantly hazed him and never truly accepted him as the fourth member of the band. Which is one of the reasons he left in 2000. "Metallica" wouldn't let him take a break and do a solo project and he felt creatively stifled.

I am a huge Metallica fan, but the fact that Lars was a dick and shut down Napster, they never accepted Newsted, and that they put out St. Anger are really dick moves.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    If you're not the biggest fan of the band, and you didn't like St. Anger at all, are either of the most recent two worth a listen? Just wondering if it's worth bothering.
    Death Magnetic is their best album since the Black Album, it completely blows Load and Re-Load out of the water (and they are appropriately named - basically Black album lite) and Hardwired is really good. Listen a few times, so the songs sink in. They do not grab you by the balls and kick your teeth down your throat, but they are very good.

St. Anger was a complete piece of shit. Don't waste your time.
    Last edited by Powder; 06-13-2017 at 03:50 PM.

Yeah. I knew that about Jason but I've never found it bothered me too much not being able to hear the bass.

Yes, pulling teeth and Orion are great I just prefer guitar.

This is one of those questions that makes me think too much, sends my brain in multiple directions and leaves me ultimately too bogged down to answer.

Ride and Puppets are both damn near perfect for what they are. Just top to bottom awesome. The Black Album is fucking iconic, though, and a little too casually dismissed as a result. I've noticed that I tend to avoid considering it just because everyone loves it so much. It kinda creates a bias, of sorts. But then I hear something like The God That Failed or My Friend of Misery at random and remember just how fucking great it is. It seriously seems like I forget that and then am reminded by putting it on and realizing just how much I love every goddamn minute of it.

Load holds the most personal meaning to me. I recognize that it's divisive and all that, but I've always loved it. ReLoad has some pretty strong moments, as well. I basically consider those albums to be their Use Your Illusion. Probably would've worked better as one album, but each ultimately has enough good shit to stand on its own.

Really hard question, at least for hardcore 'Tallica fans. Casuals will pretty much pick either Puppets or Metallica every time.

^^^
    Click For A
    Super Cool Facebook Page

Squared
    Right, so if anyone comes to this and wants to chip in on the first question, go ahead, the poll is still at the top....

but for the guys who've already answered, as a way of keeping this going.... you're stuck on a desert island, and you're only allowed three of their albums with you. I don't really care how you arrive at the decision, but which three do you want to have with you, knowing that you'll never hear the others again?

Master of puppets, Justice and Metallica. I'm not overly fond of the self titled album but you'd need a bit of pop to stop yourself going mad.