Thread: Australian Open - Anyone for Tennis?

Squared

Australian Open - Anyone for Tennis?

Given it's popularity across the world, I'm surprised that there isn't already a Tennis thread.

Few things on the calendar. We've got the French Open starting the end of the month and then Wimbledon around a month or so after it finishes, not to mention all the smaller competitions in between.

The two biggest news stories at the moment, though, are probably Novak Djokovic parting with his entire coaching team recently, which you have to think will have a big impact on the men's game throughout the summer.

Then you've got the return of Maria Sharapova from her drugs ban, and then the 'spat' and ultimately match with Eugenie Bouchard.

I don't really know what I feel on the last one. Generally I tend to come down harder than most when it comes to performance enhancing drugs, so I'm not exactly sympathetic to Sharapova. But I also think that once the decision has been made it's not really for other competitors to second-guess it, and Bouchard has an annoying tendency to sound off in a way that she's really got to achieve a lot more before she can get away with it. So, yeah, I go both ways on it.

Anyway, there's a lot happening in the game so anything and everything to do with Tennis goes in here.

Squared
    Lot of stuff at Wimbledon worth talking about... people who know more about the game will probably have something to say about Federer breaking records. Us casual fans are happier about Clijsters dragging that bloke onto the court and sticking her skirt on him. Can't remember ever seeing anything quite like that before.

That was great by Aussie Kim. Probably my favourite women's tennis player of all time. In regards to Fed. Man I just can't help but admire that guy. I wrote him off years ago in ever being able to win another grand slam. Thought he was done with Novak, Murray, Stan, Milos etc being around. Happy to be wrong. I had him up there as one of the best sportsman of all time. He's now the best sportsman of all time in my books.

Federer is amazing, and the dude never sweats. He basically changed his entire game in his mid-30s and is back on top again. From all indications he's a really good dude too and someone Nike should be proud to have representing them.

Squared
    I figure the Davis Cup might have been getting more attention if one of the English-speaking nations had made the final, but it's a France vs Belgium contest.

My guess is that to most people around here, the Australian Open in around two months time will be figuring more in your thinking, as it'll be here before you know it. The interesting thing to me is that the Federer return is pretty much complete, as he's now going into tournaments as the bookies favourite again - above Nadal, Murray, and even Djokovic. Ii'm not the world's biggest Tennis fan by any stretch but even I have to admit that I am not sure I can remember a comeback quite like it.

I just love the guy. As do most people around the world. There's just something about him that everyone loves to watch him play and loves him off the court as a human. People like Ronaldo and Messi you have the competition between the two and fans either like one and hate the other. But with Federer everyone wants him to win every match. It's so rare to see someone cheering for the other guy. Can't remember someone with that much love as a sportsman. I'm hoping it's not his last year but I'm making sure I take two weeks off and head down to watch all his games just in case.

Squared
    Federer favourite to win the upcoming Australian open. Doubts about whether Djokovic will even play at this point.

Squared
    Participants in the Aussie open are dropping like flies. Andy Murray and Serena Williams have both dropped out in the last couple of days, and I wouldn't bank on Nadal or Djokovic making it either. Neither like certain. Odds on Federer going back to back and claiming win number 5 look pretty decent.

Not really that surprised on Williams dropping out - I know she's a phenomenal athlete, but coming back 3/4 months after child birth to play proper competitive tennis is insane. I was surprised she was even entering.

Murray's a bit of a worry, because this hip thing is looking like it might never go away. He was talking about continuing physio or having surgery, but the surgery options sounded like they wouldn't get him back to 100% on it pretty much ever.

If we can get to a grand slam down the year where Murray, Djokovic, Wawrinka and Nishikori are all fit again and coming in as low seed for the competition, or even unseeded guys, that's going to be a hell of a fun one. I really hope they're all back in time for the US Open.

Squared
    Sounds like British interest in this one will end early, what with Murray injured and Jo Konta having a route that leads to Pliskova and, potentially, Halep.

Interesting to see if Federer and Nadal wind up playing each other again.

I'm cherishing any and every opportunity to see Federer play at the moment as I know within a couple of years at bst he will no longer be around. I suspect he won't quite hit the heights of last year, but I'm sure he'll be targeting Wimbledon as a time to peak.

It's always struck me as odd the timing of the Aussie Open. Obviously I understand that it has to be played during Summer down under, or at least a time of year where there is less chance of rain, but it is pretty isolated on the calendar. 3/4 months after the last US Open and 3/4 months before the French. Whereas the next 3 slams all happen within 4 months or so. I think this leads to players coming in undercooked, maybe not ready and also leads to dropouts. I've always thought that a move to November, early Summer, would be more feasible.

I just can't see past Federer

Squared
    A mixed bag for the British women in the first round today. The best hope, Konta, is through fairly easily against Madison Brengle. But Heather Watson lost in her first round match, and missed the chance to get back into it on the second set tiebreak.