Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GAA Thread

GAA Thread

Welcome to your new favourite sport, the greatest field game in the world, Gaelic Football (and it's hot older sister, Hurling).

The All-Ireland Championships kick in to gear this weekend, so I thought it only right to crack open a thread on the sport I was raised on for those of you who may not be too familiar with it.

First off, it's a field sport. I've heard Gaelic Football called a hybrid of Rugby and Soccer, but for me I see it more as a Basketball/Soccer blend with a heavy does of extra physicality. The game is played 15 vs 15 on a large rectangular pitch, with a set of goals at either end. Think soccer goals with the posts extending about ten meters above the crossbar, or rugby posts with a set of goals in them. Kicking the ball over the crossbar and between the posts is worth 1 point, putting it in the back of the net gets you 3 points.

Scorelines will often read 1-12 to 3-8 or the like, to the untrained eye it may seem like 1-11 is the winner as they've kicked more scores but their total is only worth 15 points, whereas 3-8 totals at 17 points.

The GAA is a completely amateur association, although at the top level our players are comparable to that of any other professional sport. The amateur ethos is what makes the game so special. It makes it community. You play for the team you where born in to. If you're good enough you'll represent the county where you live. We play the game because we love it. We wear the jerseys with pride. The passion is second to none.

A single post couldn't begin to sum up the intricacies of the game, but it should hopefully give you a good enough taste that it piques you interest to start following what happens in our All-Ireland series.

Take a moment to watch the highlights of last years championship - at 2 minutes it cuts to my own county's first game in the provincial series where a client of mine finishes off a goal superbly!

Come at me with questions, I want to make your fans of the most exhilarating game in the world!

A piece I wrote that may help evoke a little of the passion we feel for the game -

Friday Night Lights

'It's just like every other match, lads', the Manager says.
    'No different from any other day', he says.

But it's not.

He knows it's not.
    More importantly, you know that it's not.

This is Championship Football.

This is what you've dreamed of since you first kicked ball with your mates in the street.

This is what you grew up watching your Uncles playing, amazed that those same guys on the field would be sitting down for the spuds with you the very next Sunday.

This is what you've trained so hard for.

Pre-Season Training. Weights. Forest Runs, Pilates, feckin' Aqua-aerobics! It all comes to a head today.

You check your alarm clock. 2.39am. In just over 15 and a half hours you will take the field of battle.

You mentally pack and unpack your gear for the one hundredth time.

Boots.
    Socks.
    Shorts.
    Top.
    Gloves.
    Gumshield........ Gumshield, that'll be needed, you think, no doubt about that.

You smile to yourself in the darkness as you contemplate the physical battle ahead.

All day, at work or at school, your mind never strays too far from the impending chaos. The nervous energy ratchets up notch by notch as the hours pass.

You have your routine, the rituals that you'll never change.

You listen to that same old playlist. You do your stretches. You visit the grave and you ask for the strength and courage you need. You eat the damn pasta.

Driving to the pitch you visualise that first ball. You see yourself making that tackle, making the block, delivering a thunderous shoulder, scoring a beautiful point.

If matches were played in your head you'd be a star.

But they're not......

And so, it's time.

The changing room is akin to a crypt. Eerily quiet. Nervous energy causes knees to bounce up and down. Water is sipped without thought of any real thirst.

You make eye contact with your brother in arms. He's ready. And now so are you.

You take to the field and you breath in the atmosphere. Jesus, the whole parish must be here. You hope you can do them proud. You try not to think of that now. Don't need that pressure.

You find your man and you get the measure of him. In your mind you tell yourself that he's smaller than you thought, he doesn't look as sharp as he was, he's getting on a bit. You start the battle in earnest, at least in your mind.

You stand there in your position, coiled, a cobra ready to strike.

Hands shaken and anthem sung, the time for civility has come and gone. Its nothing personal, you tell yourself, but this man is now your sworn enemy and you will have no qualms putting him to the sword.

The ball goes up as the referee blows the first whistle.

The crowd goes silent.

For a second you lose it under those Friday Night Lights.

And then the nerves are gone.

And then it's time.

Time to express yourself.

And now you are free.........

The sound of the crowd comes rushing back.

THIS is Championship Football.

And a video of a wonderful score from my clubs Championship game last year and another written piece to go with it that might give more insight in to the game and what it means to it's supporters. - https://www.facebook.com/PGthePT/vid...9740798759612/

Squared
    I'm really glad you've started this thread. I've always liked what I've seen of both Gaelic and Hurling, but they're so difficult to follow here in the UK because the coverage (outside of Northern Ireland, of course) is so scarce. Anywhere that we'd be able to get regular video highlights?

I enjoy watching the games because I find they are really great spectator sports, but some of the nuances of the competition structures are a bit lost on me, especially as so many competitions seem to be linked to names of past players. Golden, perhaps some sort of indication of where we're at in the calendar now, and what might be expected across the course of the season, might be helpful? A bit of a season preview of what to look out for?

The one thing I do know is that the two sports are - a bit like Rugby Union and League in England, though perhaps less obviously - a little bit divided by area, with certain counties and regions being more successful in one than the other. I know that Dublin, Mayo and Donegal have between them dominated Gaelic Football for the past few years, while I think the counties in the South and Southeast tend to be more successful at hurling. Is that something you'd go along with?
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

You'll always find streams on twitter, or even on Facebook, given the vast amount of Irish living abroad and being in the same boat as yourself. Although you will see a fair bit of the All-Ireland Championship on Sky Sports this year too! Last year they did a highlight show every Tuesday on Sky Sports 3, so I'll keep an eye on what time shows are on this year and keep it updated in this thread.

Two accounts to follow on Twitter to get you started -
    @Gaelic_Life - A GAA dedicated newspaper which will keep you abreast of the biggest happenings across the sport.
    @JoeBrolly1993 - The most controversial pundit in GAA, a barrister by trade and an All-Ireland winner and All-Star in the early 90's with Derry. Soccer does not have a man like this.

In terms of where we are in the season you need to understand that the game is played at club level and intercounty level, both running simultaneously and intersecting with the same players in the most ridiculous and mind boggling way possible - (a personal gripe of mine and many GAA fans is the fixture list and how the club bows to county)

There are 32 counties in Ireland, and within each county there will be a plethora of clubs. Each club represents a parish, be it a town, village, a hamlet or townland. By that distinction you can see it favours the more populated areas, more financially supported areas, etc etc. But, it is what it is and we love it for that.

The best club players are chosen to represent their county, and that is what broadcast on Sky Sports for example - The All-Ireland Football Championships.

The All-Ireland league wrapped up about a month ago with Kerry unexpectedly beating Dublin in the final. We have four leagues, much like a Premier League, Championship, League One and Two, but whereas in England winning the league is the most prestigious prize in GAA winning the All-Ireland is the marque prize. Footballers play for the Sam Maguire Cup and Hurlers play for the Liam MacCarthy Cup.

Our All-Ireland series begins with Provincial Championships, so Ulster (North), Munster (South), Leinster (East) and Connacht (West) play their own mini championship which acts as an elimator for the All-Ireland Series.

Tyrone (Ulster - and also my own team), Kerry (Munster and current National League Champions), Dublin (reigning All-Ireland Champions) and Galway (Connacht and Division Two Champions) currently hold the Provincial titles.

From '00 to '10 Tyrone and Kerry where the king pins of Gaelic Football, while from '10 to now Dublin have been by far the most dominant team in the country. In the grander scheme of things Kerry are the most successful football side of all time with Dublin coming second. Tradition plays a huge part in GAA. It's bred in to you from a young age which is why it's more often than not the same teams contending at county level. Luckily club level allows everyone to participate competitively within their own competition.

Truth be told coming from Tyrone hurling isn't something we do an awful lot of. Kilkenny are the most successful team in the country by a stretch and have been ever since I remember, to the point where they don't even have a football team anymore. It's hurling or nothing for them, which has made them the team to beat them year in, year out.

The Provincial Championships will be starting over the next few weeks which means you'll have plenty to sink your teeth in to!

Squared
    I don't have Sky anymore, so I won't be able to follow it that way, but I'll certainly be checking out those twitter accounts you've mentioned.

I guess, with it being so tied to counties and the like, that there will have been plenty of local rivalries and derbies that have accumulated over the years?

Anything in particular to watch out for when the provincials get underway - any early predictions or potential dramas?
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

There'll always be streams which can be found on Twitter, so you're fine without sky. And if you can access the BBC NI channels on your normal TV you should be able to get some matches there too!

The first game of the Championship was yesterday, where Sligo travelled to New York (New York and London are in the All-Ireland series due to the vast number of Irish there, unfortunately it's more of a good will gesture than anything else) and unsurprisingly Sligo ended up winning rather comfortably.

With regards rivalries, Ulster is by far the most competitive Province with Tyrone, Donegal and Monaghan taking their place along with Kerry, Dublin and Mayo as the elite teams in the country. With this being the case there have been some hugely competitive games between the three northern sides with plenty of bad blood and heated altercations.

Galway are slowly clawing their way back to the top table and did manage to upset Mayo last year which would suggest that things are starting to pick up in the west, but Kerry and Dublin have little to no competition until they reach All-Ireland quarter final stages.

Predictions wise it will be a cake for Kerry and Dublin in Munster and Leinster respectively, I expect Mayo to regain their crown from Donegal in Connacht and unfortunately I think Donegal will topple Tyrone in Ulster. If Tyrone and Donegal win their quarter final games, which although is never a given it is expected, they meet in the semi-final. The winner of this will probably win the Ulster Championship with Monaghan coming through the other side of the draw. Monaghan have seen the emergence of Jack McCarron - a wonderful scoring forward - in the league this year, but I don't think they have enough to deal with either of their more successful neighbours.

I've always wanted to get into but there hasn't been any coverage here in Australia for years. I remember one channel would show the gaelic/hurling final on replay but that was about it.

We used to get a taste of it with the international rules series where Ireland played Australian in sort of a hybrid of a hybrid game.

Will check those twitter pages out (Y)

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/monagha...te-joke-122711

A link expanding on the issues with the provincial systems! Worth reading, gives a good insight in to some of the problems faced by teams based on their geography.

What's the view of the Internatioanl Rules game in Austrailia, Sucky? Taken seriously or an unwelcome distraction?

Squared
    I'd be interested in hearing about that, too. And I'll be sure to check that link out a bit later today.

Golden, is there any truth to what someone was telling me in a pub recently - that the Irish Rugby resurgence in the professional era comes in part because Gaelic football gives you better than average handling skills (especially at taking the ball in the air), and that Rugby offers you a chance to use those skills and get paid for it?
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

It's in the off season, the players are generally there for a holiday if anything. There had been a couple of series where we didn't select the All-Australian squad which is the best 22 players in each position and crowds were down from our end. Those two series in 05/06?, didn't help the perception either. Don't think it would be greatly missed if they were to cancel it.

What I do love about the actual sport is everyone plays for their counties. Nothing better than supporting your local club in whatever code, league or division they're in.

Squared
    I had a read of a match report on that Sligo in New York match, and it seemed to suggest that it wasn't as comfortable as all that. Sounded more like Sligo fell behind but caught up and passed them late on, presumably as fitness and pressure told. I'm guessing, though, it's going to be a real embarrassment for one of the established counties to lose in London or America.

I found this pretty great video of the National League Hurling final from a few weeks ago. It's a shame that the game wasn't closer, but it does give a really good idea of the sport for anyone who hasn't really come across it. I don't think Hurling has the beauty of Gaelic football, and it's less accessible as a spectator sport, but there's something really appealing about the visceral, hard-hitting nature of it. If you watch Rugby and you prefer a ruck clearout or driving maul to slick movement in the backs, then hurling's physical side will doubtless appeal.

I also saw that Tyrone are into the semi-final of the Nicky Rackard cup and have a home draw against Armagh, but from what you're saying that'll make less impact than how they get on in the football against Derry in a few weeks?
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    Golden, is there any truth to what someone was telling me in a pub recently - that the Irish Rugby resurgence in the professional era comes in part because Gaelic football gives you better than average handling skills (especially at taking the ball in the air), and that Rugby offers you a chance to use those skills and get paid for it?
    For sure, in fact I played in the under 16 All-Ireland schools final against Sean O'Brien's team! Plenty of the boys, especially those outside of Dublin or Cork, would have played both GAA and Rugby up until the point where they had to make the choice to try and make it professionally.

I also saw that Tyrone are into the semi-final of the Nicky Rackard cup and have a home draw against Armagh, but from what you're saying that'll make less impact than how they get on in the football against Derry in a few weeks?
    Unfortunately outside of the guys who make up the hurling team the interest in their progress is fairly limited, whereas all eyes will be on the footballers trip to Celtic Park at the end of the month. I'll be at that game myself. Shocking parking. Should be a comfortable victory, but given that we finished off poorly in the league you can take nothing for granted.

We've a young forward, Lee Brennan, who is absolutely electric. He's yet to feature as a starter for us but if given the chance against Derry I think he could fill his boots and really kick off the Championship charge with intent for us.

Squared
    I don't think I've got BBC Northern Ireland, after having a look, which is a bit of shame. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled online. It does seem as though you can follow this with internet videos quite soon after the fact, though. Some decent length highlights, too.

Derry's not a name that I've seen a lot of in the latter stages (which is pretty much all I've ever been able to see), so I guess you'll be feeling fairly confident about that one?
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

Yeah, they've long been on the downturn in terms of being competitively in the inter county scene which in itself is surprising as they have a thriving club competition. On that note, Slaughtneil, the current Ulster Champions at both Gaelic Football, Hurling and Camogie provide a compelling story of club development and community culture. Worth reading about them if you've an interest in learning more about the grassroots end of the game.

On a similar note there was a documentary about Crossmaglen, the most successful Club side of the last 20 odd years which you may be able to get on the iPlayer if you look it up. If not there more than likely YouTube.

To answer your question though, it would be a major upset if Tyrone weren't to get passed Derry even with it being played in Celtic Park.

Golden, what's the general feeling about those who leave gaelic to come and play our code?

Mark O'connor the latest to be making his debut this week, in what I think is one of the quickest to do so.

It's mainly positive but you'll always have some begrudgers who don't like that they are losing a potential star. In Tyrone we've lost Emmet McKenna to Essendon, but personally, and for the majority, we hope that he is a big success.

I'm honestly surprised more don't go over.

Squared
    A brief look around at ticketing websites for other sports suggests that they could learn a thing or two from GAA and their calls to make touting their tickets a criminal offence. That, like so many other things I find out (such as the reaction to the suspension of Forde of Tipperary Hurling) seem to be bound up with their amateur ethos. There's a real pride in the amateur status and that seems to spread to so many things. It's kind of like Rugby Union used to be in the old days, before the money started to talk too loudly.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

IMG_7552.jpg

Newspaper agreeing with some of my earlier sentiments!

Prime, who you feeling an attachment to? Would you be tempted to come over for a game?

Squared
    I'm not sure about attachment. I've got a family connection to Belfast and nowhere else so I guess I should follow Antrim? But yeah, without wanting to take us off topic, I think that's a more complex issue than just following a sports team and wraps us up in other matters. The other one that I could develop a soft spot for, is that a good friend of mine from where I used to live came from Laois, and that seems like the kind of county that you could root for - and it's certainly less complicated than trying to navigate questions of identity!

I'd certainly be interested in seeing a game. I don't know if I'd come over specifically for it but I've been wanting to do a bit of a full tour of Ireland for a couple of years - hire a car and drive out through some of the smaller counties and towns, from Dublin across to Galway, Clare, or Kerry or somewhere like that. If I did head to Ireland I'd definitely look to take in a game.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

Just throw them all in a hat, pick one out and spend an eternity breaking your heart following them!

If you're doing any summer touring then you'll definitely be able to get games in. I'd heavily recommend Galway as the epicentre of the trip, my favourite city in the country, but like anywhere you haven't been before there's lots to see everywhere.

No Championship games this weekend. Things kick in to gear proper next week across the country, Monaghan vs Fermanagh in Ulster probably the pick of them.

On a side note - increase your interest in what's happening immediately by entering a fantasy football competition! http://fantasy.gaeliclife.com/
    Last edited by Golden; 05-14-2017 at 10:22 AM.

The sky sports promo for their upcoming coverage -

And a Championship preview from everybody's favourite pundit - http://www.independent.ie/sport/gael...-35715247.html
    Last edited by Golden; 05-18-2017 at 09:01 AM.

Squared
    I'm really enjoying the punditry, I've got to be honest. I think he'd probably drive me up the wall if I knew more, but as I'm still such a novice I find it really entertaining. How do you react to Tyrone being described as 'boring', though? And what's the mindset behind being boring? I guess it's not unlike the whole sit back and defend thing from association football, but playing cautiously has to manifest itself differently in such a wildly different game, no?
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

The first thing you need to keep in mind with Brolly is that he is from Derry, who have a fierce rivalry with Tyrone, so take everything he says with a pinch of salt.

Gaelic Football has drastically changed over the past 20 years. Traditionally it was a game of 15 vs 15, man for man. Corner backs marked corner forwards, centre backs marked centre forward, midfielders went toe to toe. You were told going on to the field to win your personal battle.

Since the early 00's, massively influenced by a successful Tyrone team, the "blanket defence" was introduced to the game. At the time it was pretty much the gaelic equivalent to the gegenpress. High intensity pressure lead from the front, but as teams began to try and adopt this type of game it became a more diluted version of transition football which in turn became a wholly defensive game where it isn't uncommon to see 13 men behind the ball when not in possession.

Tyrone do play quite a defensive game which is frustrating as a fan as they have more than enough capable attacking players to buck the trend and go for the throat instead of trying to be the team who makes less mistakes and is most efficient. Physically we're probably market leaders there too, which lends itself to the misconception of being a team of athletes rather than technicians.

All in all that's just Brolly being Brolly. His opinions change with the wind. He's a wind up merchant, a sensationalist and very clever man who knows how to get people interested in what he says.

The undertone to it all being he's bitter that Tyrone should easily beat his beloved Derry!

Things went as expected in Ulster with Monaghan and Donegal dispatching of Fermanagh and Antrim respectively. Monaghan had an especially poor first half but kicked on hard toward the final quarter and finished comfortable winners. In saying that it will give their quarter final opponents, Cavan, plenty of optimism for their face off.

Shock number one of the weekend was that reigning All-Ireland Hurling Champions were defeated by Cork in the opening game of the Connacht Championship. They've got another bite at the cherry courtesy of the back door, but that's blown things wide open, with Kilkenny - the usual standard bearers - looking all the stronger because of their biggest competitions defeat.

Shock number two was little Carlow stunning Wexford with a fantastic display of gutsy attacking football and earning themselves a game against Dublin at Croke Park in the next round of the Leinster Championship. Hats off to them, and a personal nod to the coaching set up, one of whom is a journalist colleague of mine.

All roads lead to Celtic Park in Derry this Sunday. BBC 2 NI is showing the game, coverage starts at 1.45pm with the game beginning at 2pm. With the soccer season over I implore you to get on to twitter, search for a feed, sit back and enjoy the reigning Ulster Champions put on a show. (side note, the Derry goalkeeper walked off the squad last night. To get your head around what the Derry camp is like think Holland 96!)

Squared
    Have recently discovered that even if you don't get BBC NI as part of your tv package, you can watch on the iplayer. So we'll all have access to whatever is on there. Going to have a look at the Monaghan and Fermanagh highlights when I get a minute today and then we'll have another look on Sunday.

Looks like we only seem to get Ulster games and only Gaelic at that. But here's the links if anyone wants to watch a game. You may have to be based in the UK to work the iPlayer, I don't know.

Monaghan vs Fermanagh
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...an-v-fermanagh

Donegal vs Antrim
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...negal-v-antrim
    Last edited by Prime Time; 05-24-2017 at 09:35 AM.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

Keep an eye out for my man, Mark Bradley, for Tyrone this Sunday.

Best forward in the Tyrone club game, burst on to the county scene off the back of a Tyrone under 21 All-Ireland win in 2015. Suffered with injuries throughout the inter county season last year so didn't really get the chance to kick on but he's back and ready to stand up and be our main scoring threat!

Come on Tyrone!!!

Where's Cliff gone?!?
    I'd certainly be interested in seeing a game. I don't know if I'd come over specifically for it but I've been wanting to do a bit of a full tour of Ireland for a couple of years - hire a car and drive out through some of the smaller counties and towns, from Dublin across to Galway, Clare, or Kerry or somewhere like that. If I did head to Ireland I'd definitely look to take in a game.
    The beauty about this would be, if you were to visit Ireland anytime between April to September there would be an unmericful amount of GAA games taking place the length and breadth of the country from all ages to all levels. You'd have no problem coming across a game no matter where you were. And you could have as much craic watching a Junior B championship match than you would inter county.

Clare (hon the banner!!!) defeated Limerick today in the football (in what I could only describe as a one point battering) to get do the Munster semi's. Kerry await which will undoubtedly be a huge ask but Clare are doing their best footballing in years. Consecutive promotions followed by division 2 survival (highlighted by beating Cork for the first time in as long as I can remember) leave us with half a chance. I hope they can keep improving and maintain this standard they've been growing towards.

And lets not forget the hurling. I was looking up Clare's munster championship record the other day and it's absolutely disastrous. I forget the exact stat i came up with but its something like 2 wins in 13 years. This year we have Limerick in a semi which means one win puts us in the munster final which would in turn guarantee us at least an all Ireland quarter final place. That's going to have to serve as a huge incentive. I thoroughly believe it would be a crime if that Clare team doesn't get more success given the talent of that team. I do worry about some of the attitudes behind the scenes in that Clare boardroom though as some of the stories that come out of there are terrible at times (politics and all that shite!!).

Just as the Premier League shuts up shop, the GAA season starts moving in to full swing! Happy days!

A Tyrone win as expected against Derry yesterday. Won by 11 points yet produced a distinctly average performance, one that won't get us by Donegal.

Dublin's first foray in to the Championship this coming Saturday against the upstarts of Carlow. I really, really, really, really hope they go man to man and don't employ defensive game.

May as well be beat by 50 as 5, but at least if they go for it they'll have no regrets.

Squared
    Had to wait a couple of days to catch it on the iPlayer, but watched the game yesterday. Quite enjoyed it, though thought it would have been more enjoyable if Tyrone hadn't so efficiently shutdown the threatened Derry rally in the second half. The impression I got generally was that Tyrone were basically the more clinical of the two sides, rather than they blew them away particularly. Derry didn't make enough of the opportunities that they created, sometimes giving the ball away with the wrong pass at the wrong time.

How'd I do?
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

Yeah, you're spot on. Defensively Tyrone are unmatched in Ireland. Derry just didn't know how to deal with the Tyrone defensive system at all.

The lack of goal chances for Tyrone was the big worry moving forward as that's no goals in their last three Championship games. Goals win games as they say. I'd wager any amount you want that Dublin score at least one goal against Carlow this weekend. This stage of the Championship isn't unlike the Champions League group stages. Everyone knows who's going to progress and we're just waiting until the Provincial finals for things to kick off for the most part. (not including Ulster where Donegal play Tyrone in a semi final).

Armagh play Down in Ulster this weekend. Two teams that aren't doing an awful lot of positive things at the minute. The game is in Down, but I'd say Armagh are the better side when all's considered so I'm going to go for them in what could be the most entertaining game of the entire Ulster Championship - Simply because neither team have anything to lose and they're both evenly matched.

Squared
    Goals generally seem to be more difficult to come by, but I got the impression it's not so much that you didn't get a goal as there weren't really many moments in the game where you even looked like creating those kinds of chances. A lot of the points came from being quite clinical from distance, but you'd never get a goal chance from those kind of positions.

Looks like we've got the game this Sunday on the BBC again. I get the impression, though, that there's probably not going to be any hurling, or not too much, because there's less interest in Ulster presumably (though I'm only basing that on their relative performance in the two sports). It appears as if the coverage seems to be radio, which isn't a lot of use for me.

I'll need to expand my horizons if I want to see more, I guess.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

Yeah, you'll not pick up any hurling coverage via the BBC. A rogue twitter link for some Sky coverage is your best bet.

And you're right, Tyrone didn't even threaten to create a goal chance, which is all the more worrying again.

Squared
    Golden, how far do you agree with some of these comments?

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gael...-35767862.html

Shee, just been reading about that Clare and Limerick game. Sounds like a cracker.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

Hahahaha, Brolly is a bollix, glad I told you that earlier in the thread! Cavanagh kicked in the winning point deep in to injury time in last years Ulster Final against Donegal. I watched him earlier this year, barely a month ago, kick 1-6 in a club game. He may not be the power he was once - which was the finest player in the country - but he's far from done!

Where's Cliff gone?!?
    Carlow gave the Dubs more to think about than I would have thought last night. Outcome was inevitable, pity about the red card. Some amount of energy from Carlow though, they put in a good shift.

Clare Limerick not disappoints. Just coming to half time and Clare are after letting an 8 point lead slip. Limerick had a purple patch scoring 1-5 with our goalie letting a sloppy one past him to go level. Managed to go 4 points back up going in to half time but its far from convincing. Clare easily have more quality but there is no quit in Limerick. Really need to learn that first half lesson!!

hon the banner!!

Edit: Clare win by 4 points. LOTS of work to be done still. Our free taking was woeful and ability to put the game to bed was pretty bad given we were far better than an under strength Limerick team. Still though we can put that disastrous MHC record to bed for now and have a Munster Final to look forward to.
    Last edited by Shee; 06-04-2017 at 12:39 PM.

Squared
    I've got a question, lads. I saw that in the Hurling, Galway beat Offaly despite scoring fewer goals. I know that in Rugby, winning without scoring tries and relying on kicks is something that people get criticised for. I was wondering, is there a similar thing in gaelic games? Is there any stigma attached to relying on points for a victory, and not hitting the net?
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

Nah, not at all. "Take your points and the goals will come!" is an old favourite that you're told from you're no age.

Huge win for Tyrone at the weekend, not only the result but the way they dominated the game. It's probably the best performance I've seen from then since the won the All-Ireland. That may sound hyperbolic but they completely destroyed one of the top teams in the country in every facet of the game.

If they can replicate that form moving forward I don't think anyone will be able to handle them. It was a statement victory and one which made everyone stand up and take note. Fun time to be a Tyrone fan!

Squared
    So Down and Monaghan was the best game we've had on the BBC so far. Tense stuff.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

It's the first Ulster Championship game I didn't get to see, had a wedding at the weekend. Couldn't believe the result. Fair play to Down, they played with such intensity.

Unfortunately I can't see them repeating the feat against Tyrone. I'm calling Tyrone -5.

Elsewhere Dublin beat Westmeath in to the ground, as was expected. The Leinster Championship is so noncompetitive it's untrue. Dublin have a cake walk to the All-Ireland Semi Finals once again.

Squared
    I see Tyrone have wrapped up another championship, and Dublin awaits. Going to be another level of competition, right?
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"