Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ring Of Honor General Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
    its been reported that the Hardys are with ROH until 4/1 which is actually a date for ROH they were originally scheduled for. This way, they can be on the PPV friday and the rest of the dates.. I don't think they will be in ROH for a long time.

I didn't think they fitted in with WWE's Wrestlemania plans this year anyway
    I don't know who reported this but Meltzer is saying the Hardy's deal with ROH is long term and they're now taking indie bookings once again. At worst the deal runs through May and it seemed like it went longer than that.

What is the definition of long term?

In this case I think it means a year. But who knows; Meltzer said it was past May, but also said they're taking indie bookings again and have no plans to go to WWE anytime soon.

I mean if i was them, i'd ride the wave. the WWE will always be there and hardys are smart enough to know they won't have the control they do now... once it overstays its welcome and it always does then they go back to WWE and cash in again

The Brain
    Man, I hope he win the belt.

I would mark the shit out if Christopher Daniels won the belt. So deserving.

As AJ Styles would say, Daniels doesn't deserve it, he earned it....

But seriously i'm not sure if he will cause he's been offered runs with top belts before and turned them down apparently

The Brain
    Even so, as Harley Race might say, the time is now. Even if you don't think Cole is a lousy champion (and I do), the belt needs to be on someone fresh who isn't likely to bolt for WWE in the very near future. I don't think there's ever been a more ideal time for him to win it, age notwithstanding (and he's still in incredible shape, at any rate).

Oh i agree ; I've been catching up on the live ROH PPVS for my PPV database and I can honestly say i've found most of them pretty enjoyable, i barely watch the TV product, yet i know that its time to go in another direction. They're lacking in guys who are ready for that next step so putting the title on a stable guy for a few months isn't a bad idea. Already brought in 3 bonafide draws so can do whatever with the title...

Supercard of Honor is going to be broadcast live on Fite TV for $29.99.

The title matches on the show are:

Dalton Castle vs. Christopher Daniels (c) for the ROH World Title

The Young Bucks vs. The Hardys (c) in a ladder match for the ROH World Tag Titles

Adam Cole vs. Marty Scurll (c) for the ROH TV Title

The Bullet Club contingent of Hangman Page & Guerrillas of Destiny vs. The Briscoes & Bully Ray (c) for the ROH 6-man title

Looks like an awesome show, but it overlaps Takeover, so I'm not sure if I'm going to order it or not, yet.

The Brain
    Those first two matches are extremely appealing.

Neither of us are high on Adam Cole, but he's been pretty good the last few times I have seen him and Scurll is excellent, so I have high hopes for the TV Title match. Everything with Jay Briscoe right now is worth watching, because he appears headed for a hard heel turn; he's even changed up his finisher to a brutal lariat; the question is: When's it going to happen? And GoD can be great or a disaster depending on the night. I ain't mad about anything on this show. There's also a Texas Bullrope match between CODY and Jay Lethal, plus O'Spreay and Volador, Jr vs. Dragon Lee and Jay White, in what will rival the Hardys and Bucks for spotfest of the night.
    Last edited by XanMan; 03-25-2017 at 01:35 AM.

Squared
    Confession time - been so out of the loop with RoH for a long time, so long it's not even funny.

So it was a surprise to find out that not only did they hotshot the title around for a few months there, but that the belt has found it's way to Cody Rhodes, who I didn't even know was working with them.

I've always been a fan of Cody but he's not someone I'd immediately have thought of as a RoH guy. I guess that since he's now had the strap for around 4 months he must be doing OK though?

The Brain
    Cody's a bit of an odd duck. I've seen a lot of people criticize how strongly he's been pushed on the indy scene by various promoters, but at the same time looking at the numbers he does seem to be one of the top independent draws around right now. I've always liked Cody more than most so it's all good in my book. If you want a sample of his ROH work, I strongly the bullrope match he had with Jay Lethal earlier this year. One of the best Cody matches I've seen, a really well done bout.

Final Battle 2017 Card for Tonight!

MAIN EVENT
    ROH WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP
    ROH WORLD CHAMPION “THE AMERICAN NIGHTMARE” CODY vs. DALTON CASTLE

DREAM MATCH, NON-TITLE
    IWGP JR. HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION “THE VILLAIN” MARTY SCURLL vs. JAY LETHAL

ROH WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP
    ROH WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS THE MOTOR CITY MACHINE GUNS (ALEX SHELLEY & CHRIS SABIN) vs. BEST FRIENDS (BERETTA & CHUCKIE T.)

ROH WORLD TELEVISION CHAMPIONSHIP FOUR CORNERS ELIMINATION MATCH
    SHANE TAYLOR vs. SILAS YOUNG vs. PUNISHMENT MARTINEZ vs. ROH WORLD TELEVISION CHAMPION KENNY KING

ROH WORLD SIX MAN TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS
    ROH WORLD SIX MAN TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS ADAM PAGE & THE YOUNG BUCKS vs. FLIP GORDON, DRAGON LEE, & TITAN

SPECIAL ATTRACTION MATCH
    MATT TAVEN vs. “THE AERIAL ASSASSIN” WILL OSPREAY

GRUDGE MATCH
    THE ADDICTION (CHRISTOPHER DANIELS & FRANKIE KAZARIAN) VS. WAR MACHINE (RAY ROWE & HANSON)

NEW YORK STREET FIGHT
    THE BRISCOES (JAY & MARK) vs. BULLY RAY & TOMMY DREAMER

Should be a decent show, although there's like no buzz and its PPV that cost $35 dollars in 2017. That streaming service can't get here fast enough.

New ROH World Title as well.

rohworldtitle2018.jpg

I'd like to see Castle get the belt. He's earned his dues and is due a nice run, especially since he just re-signed with the company

I think Castle has to win but with Cody's 10K thing, i think it will be a short run. ROH is run by the Bullet Club at this point so having Cody fend off challengers is the best option they have and hope someone gets red hot. I think Castle has cooled.

Clearly they don't think so because Castle just won the belt. I'm not surprised; I think this signals that the Bullet Club split is imminent and taking the belt off Cody allows him to chase Kenny (and I think ultimately dethrone him) for the IWGP US Title. Either way, great decision and good for Castle. He may now get a Wrestle Kingdom appearance out of this.

Maybe not, but i still see Cody getting the title back before his big event.

Also, Kota/Cody is now a special singles match. So no Japan for Dalton yet.

Super Moderator
    I really enjoyed Final Battle. I actually finished it about 20 minutes before Clash of Champions and...oh man, the difference in quality and just the level of hunger obviously on display from the wrestlers was astounding.

Super happy for my boy Silas even though he and Punishment didn't mesh super well in the last few moments. I actually liked the New York Street Fight, even though I typically hate those matches --The Briscoes and Hardcore Legends know how to make those matches into works of art where everything counts and nothing is just done for the sake of doing it. I like Matt Taven a lot, and I might be the biggest War Machine fan on the earth.

There were a few things I disliked. Sabin no-selling a piledriver, despite Colt trying to cover for it, was a garbage finish. There were so many other possibilities that they could have gone with to get to that exact same jackknife cover. Production errors were all over the show. Maybe I was the only one who noticed? They have a slick little production, but they need to work that kind of stuff out like the audio taking several seconds to kick in when cutting to interviews and whatnot. Also, does ROH have agents? I ask mainly because War Machine vs The Addiction and Lethal vs Scrull were back-to-back matches that both had the "almost crush the ref but don't", and "catch the heel with his feet on the ropes" spots. With the story of Lethal/Scrull, and the size difference between War Machine and Addiction, a good agent would have caught that mirroring and had War Machine kick out of Daniels with the feet on the ropes rather than the ref catching it.

I'll be honest, I skipped the Bucks match. I like Flip Gordon, but have no interest in watching the Young Bucks young buck.

Two hot takes:

1) What's up with Jay Lethal? Why is he the Franchise Player? He's a good talent, but he's a guy that New Japan doesn't seem to have a ton of interest in, and someone that other North American companies have never seen as a draw or a top guy. It just interests me that ROH looked at him and was like "yep, that's the guy we want as our franchise". It sort of reminds me of how Jeff Jarrett was a midcard guy everywhere, but WCW insisted on making him the top heel. Like, sure for the time he was one of the better wrestlers on your roster but, seriously, him?

That's nothing against Lethal, by the way. I like the guy, I think he's talented as hell and I'm unbelievably happy for him. He was the best part of that match with Scrull. But as someone who is, at best, a casual ROH viewer, I don't get it.

2) I don't get the Bullet Club. There, I said it. It's all of the fourth wall breaking, fan jerking off that I can't stand in "cool" indy wrestling and I dislike it. I don't see anything of interest in Scrull whatsoever outside of a funny mask. He reminds me of all those indy guys that I know that are like "I'm going to wear a gas mask to the ring because it makes me look soooo cooooool" but in reality they look like fools. I just don't get it with him at all. Why him? He seems like a mildly okay worker and largely disinteresting dude who got swept up with his better, more interesting friends and is just riding that wave. Or is it a wrestling hipster thing that I just don't get?

But, the Bullet Club as a whole...I don't get it. I can see how it was cool when it was Gallows and Anderson and Devitt et. al. and they were pretty bad ass and like the original NWO. I just find the current version largely annoying. Like they have no filter applied to them (they probably don't) and they're just being allowed to do whatever people will think is "cool". I hate people trying to be cool for the sake of being cool.

The Brain
    I assume the franchise thing has to do with the fact that he had such a long title reign and has stuck around when most guys have moved on or cycled in and out. It's the honorary Sting attendance award moniker, and since he doesn't seem likely to go anywhere either I guess they consider it safe.

I don't really like the Bullet Club either, to be honest. I feel like they're just riding momentum at this point without really doing anything interesting, but people are buying the shirts so they must be doing something right.

Very happy about the world title switch. Castle has been a pleasure to watch for years now and it's great to see him succeed on this level. Hope he's added to Wrestle Kingdom, he and Ibushi could put on something pretty special I think.

They call Lethal that just to give him something after losing the World title. He's in that weird spot all high indy wrestlers get to where if WWE doesn't want you, then the company you're with, that you did everything you could and now you either have to reinvent yourself again or just keep plugging along.

Lethal/Scrull was my favorite match of the night and i didn't hate final battle but I don't see an intriguing direction in doing Lethal vs. Castle for the title... ROH is centered around the bullet club except they don't do in fighting really... or breakups unless someone is leaving like Cole.. so you have guys like Scrull who could be pushed, sitting behind Cody.

As someone who loves Scurll, even I'm struggling to give you an answer to your question, Coach.

Super Moderator
    It's like...I don't hate him but I don't get it at all.

He's not terrible, but he's every mid level indy guy that I know. He can go okay in the ring, but so can everyone else I know. Hell, I even had a guy pitch a similar get-up to me a few months ago and I laughed him out of the room. I struggle to understand him with his accent, he doesn't seem particularly like a tough guy or a technical wizard or a high flyer. His gimmick is that he cheats? And people like that and cheer him?

I feel like he's a "villain", but once you look past the mask and umbrella, and the Bullet Club affiliation there's not much there over and above any other worker that I know to warrant the fanfare.

I like him just fine but he's got that weird thing that most in bullet club, they don't have gimmicks except that they do their own thing and pimp the bullet club brand that sells a bunch of merch.. I mean the idea for the Lethal/Scrull match is a fine idea but Scrull isn't hated for his villiany, he's not vicious in the ring.. Its more of just something that is amusing. You can see the crowd loves him but that doesn't mean it makes sense lol.

Marty is the indie version of Finn Balor; he's got a cool entrance look and a great reputation that seemingly sprung up because "he worked for this company/against these guys so he must be good!", when in reality there's very little there unless Will Ospreay is holding his hand. He seems like a very likable dude from the Being the Elite shows and I suppose he could do better if he wasn't under the villain gimmick (which could be really cool if he didn't treat it like it was a comedy character), but good Grodd he's not very good. I think he pretty much only got the Bullet Club gig because Adam Cole (yet another former Bullet Club guy who doesn't hold up on close inspection) was leaving and Marty was a name, so they plugged him in with that very hot angle and hoped he was what people thought. He's not.

But that's ALWAYS been the Bullet Club if you think about it. There's been 28 dudes/dudettes in the group since they formed and only six of those are workers I consider to be really good; AJ, Kenny, The Bucks (who are absolutely tremendous if you watch more than just a gif of them), Karl Anderson and CMLL star Terrible. Everyone else is/was at best a tag wrestler (the Tongas, Gallows), average (Yujiro, Fale, Hangman, Chase) or exceedingly overrated (Balor, Cole). It's always been a group known more for imagery, parody and callbacks to a bygone era than that of great in ring guys and that's fine; they play their role well, they sell tickets and a lot of the stuff they do outside of the ring is pretty cool. Most great stables are like that; only the classic era Four Horsesmen and The Shield were stables that were both great on both sides of the coin. Everyone else, be it the nWo, the Nexus or whoever, was more known for their out of the ring stuff than their in the ring classics.

It's interesting to see people talk about him in the Bullet Club context, because of all his work that's the stuff I've probably seen least of.

Part of the appeal of the Villain gimmick for me is simply that it's such a leap from Party Marty, which was bloody horrible as a gimmick and completely killed my interest in him.

His PROGRESS work has been really enjoyable as the Villain. He's not necessarily working differently to how he might in those NJPW matches he's done, but there seems to be much more edge to what he's doing.

The Brain
    Yeah, I don't really get the hate train that has descended on Scurll either. I like his look, including the various entrance accessories. I like the way he presents himself. I like the finger spot, even if he overuses it. I generally enjoy his matches. I do get the criticisms, he definitely reached a point of oversaturation at one time and he does play to the crowd to an annoying extent for a guy who is ostensibly a heel, but I think general opinion has swung way too far the other way due.

I definitely like him most on the UK indy scene, as opposed to elsewhere I have seen him, so fair point to that. He seems to benefit a lot from having some character and storyline relationship to his opponents, rather than just being vaguely "villainous" in an exhibition setting.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    Part of the appeal of the Villain gimmick for me is simply that it's such a leap from Party Marty, which was bloody horrible as a gimmick and completely killed my interest in him.
    Maybe that's what it is? I have never heard of a "Party Marty", so I couldn't care less that it's a new and different character.

He seems perfectly serviceable at everything. But I'm not sure that I understand the gimmick or the getup.

The Brain
    I don't think Scurll is as dependent on Ospreay as Cult does, but I do think he was at his best conceptually when he was working as a foil to him. Ospreay was all youth and passion and flippy-do fire, the shiny up and comer, whereas Scrull was the veteran reinventing himself and going towards something sinister, albeit a little twirl-your-mustache cartoonish.

In ROH, it doesn't even come off that heelish which i think is the problem. He dresses like he's the Penquin, calls himself the villain.. and yet, its played for comedy. Maybe that's why it doesn't connect with Coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post
    He seems perfectly serviceable at everything. But I'm not sure that I understand the gimmick or the getup.
    I dont think they ever implied there is one. His gimmick his the whole "Villain" stuff with him just heeling it up. Its the heel version of his face gimmick "Party Marty". Its just the difference he has when working face or heel. He hasnt been "Party Marty" in a long time. He doesnt have much of a character. He is either good or bad. Thats it.

The get up? Its supposed to look cool? Its over used but it better then nothing I guess? He only started wearing it when he joined the Bullet Club in ROH.

The Bullet Club is pretty terrible outside of NJPW in my opinion. Its just the cool kids hanging out together trying to out cool everyone else. Which makes little sense in the context they work most Indies. Its weird. I think it works great in the NJPW environment because they are cocky Americans trying to be flashy for no reason. In the Indies tho that makes them the same as everyone else. I wish they would keep that shit to NJPW only but everyone wants their hand in the cookie jar.

For all the bashing of the bullet club, it still makes them money on the indies, fans are buying into it.... More of a long term problem that no one involved seems to be worried about.

That's because outside of this thread and aside from people who really hate the Young Bucks the group is over and liked by most people. They may not be the strongest in ring group of all time but they're not the long term problem; the long term problem is that Lizardman is an absolute dumbass who ran off a lot of their most talented guys till the only thing left in ROH was the Bullet Club, New Japan guys coming over and Dalton Castle. If ROH were to replace Delirious with someone who could actually book and got fresh, exciting talent in to contrast the BC then they'd be doing even better than they are now. But that's not on the Bullet Club; they're pretty much all they've got. Why the hell wouldn't you go all in while you're in a slight rebuild with the only sure thing you have, especially when the alternative is disaster.

Oh i agree the booking is a bigger issue but when everybody that is over HAS to stay in the group, you have to keep finding guys to push that don't join the group... and the only guy the found really has been Flip Gordon. if they were able to take Marty out of the group, i think that would be a nice step in the right direction from being so dependent on the club.

And I do milking the Club for all its worth can be a problem when that well eventually dries up. I highly doubt they will be a hot act in 5 years

The Brain
    Oh for sure, but nothing not named Hulkamania is a hot act in wrestling for 10 years straight, and even that's debatable. I keep expecting some kind of split to materialize soon, they've teased stuff with Cody and Omega but a lot of people are not enthused about Cody so not sure they'll pull the trigger on that. In the meantime, Bullet Club does do pretty good business so even if the critics are less enthused they must be doing something right?

As for Marty, I started watching BOLA (finally) last night and was reminded of some other reasons I'm not so high on Marty anymore... he just has so many damn cutesy spots. The fake out kick and the chickenwing dance stand out the most as eye rollers. I still like some of the stuff he does, but he can definitely wear you down as you watch more and more of him. I'm pretty sure his getup predates the Bullet Club though, he's been wearing it since at least 2015 in the UK.